Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6041094 - 08/23/13 12:54 AM

Hi all,

Just got a clarification on some info that I messed up in my original notes. Mr. Gonzales sent me this:

Mike

Just calcification on material used and wear.
The material 6061 in Aluminum polar housing and new worm blocks, We changed the zinc shaft to 302 stainless, the worm is bronze, the main gear is 6061 aluminum ....
Jerry


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6041112 - 08/23/13 01:18 AM

Wow that sounds nice. Those should be good and tough.

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brokenwave
sage


Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6041805 - 08/23/13 12:32 PM

Great news Mike, Thanks for getting this rolling.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LTE
member


Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Scotland
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6042039 - 08/23/13 03:06 PM

That's great, Mike!
I eventually bought a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 for my 8in Newtonian and relegated the LX80 to take a 6in Newtonian - works OK except for occasional wild runoffs while centring stars, but I live in fear of the tripod shedding a leg!

Tom.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: LTE]
      #6042787 - 08/24/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

That's great, Mike!
I eventually bought a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 for my 8in Newtonian and relegated the LX80 to take a 6in Newtonian - works OK except for occasional wild runoffs while centring stars, but I live in fear of the tripod shedding a leg!

Tom.




Tom,

I'm a lot more careful about how I move the mount since I had a leg fail! The new tripod should fix that issue but I do like the adjustments on the current one. The AZ-EQ6 looks like a great mount. Do you use either mount in the dual AltAz mode?

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus


Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6044391 - 08/24/13 11:23 PM

Hi,
Are they redesigning the worm gears teeth angle or just changing the materials they are made of and putting LX200 motors. The teeth angle is where the problem is. I didn't know there were any problems with the type of materials used. But an upgrade in materials is always a good thing.
I would think they have seen how well the Skywatcher version AZ-EQ6 GT is doing even at its much higher price. And they might feel that if they upgrade their mount they could ask quit a bit more. Since they are using the LX90 tripod and using the LX200 motors and beefing up everything inside, they might be planning to bring it into the CGEM class, or maybe even the AZ-EQ6 GT. It's no longer going to be an LXD75 type mount. Then again they might keep the price low and sell a whole bunch of them. If so it could also be an affordable source for replacement motors for LX200 mounts.

Neilson


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: neilson]
      #6044406 - 08/24/13 11:32 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Are they redesigning the worm gears teeth angle or just changing the materials they are made of and putting LX200 motors. The teeth angle is where the problem is. I didn't know there were any problems with the type of materials used. But an upgrade in materials is always a good thing.
I would think they have seen how well the Skywatcher version AZ-EQ6 GT is doing even at its much higher price. And they might feel that if they upgrade their mount they could ask quit a bit more. Since they are using the LX90 tripod and using the LX200 motors and beefing up everything inside, they might be planning to bring it into the CGEM class, or maybe even the AZ-EQ6 GT. It's no longer going to be an LXD75 type mount. Then again they might keep the price low and sell a whole bunch of them. If so it could be a source for replacement motors for LX200 mounts.

Neilson




Hi Neilson,

I don't have notes on it but I know that there are design changes in addition to the upgrade in materials.

If the mount had lived up to the original specs it would have been in the CGEM class as it was. I'd like to see the new incarnation come in at the same price but I don't see how they could do that with an increase in cost of a few hundred dollars.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus


Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6044428 - 08/24/13 11:51 PM

Hi Mike,
You are correct, it originally was in the CGEM class. But back then there was no AZ-EQ6 GT selling at a high price. I should drop that subject before Meade gets any ideals. I hope they keep the price the same or close to it. Meade has been putting some pretty hefty price tags on all their new models of mounts. I would think they would want to keep the price down on this mount because there is a big market for mounts at an affordable price around $800.

Neilson


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: neilson]
      #6044448 - 08/25/13 12:08 AM

If they came in at $800 and it lived up to original specs I think they'd sell a ton after the bad press fades. I'd love to sit in on any meetings to discuss the final price.

I think we here on CN often think the posts here represent the astro community as a whole. I'd bet there are a lot of users that haven't gotten close to testing the specs and are happy with the mount.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus


Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6044494 - 08/25/13 01:00 AM

Your right, but it goes both ways, there are also those non CN people who are having problems with the mount and can't figure out what they themselves are doing wrong. Then after a while they just give up all together. And put the mount in the back of the garage to collect dust.

I'm just glad Meade is finally going to fix it.

Neilson


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 12/26/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6044641 - 08/25/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

I think Russ Tanton of Explore Scientific may have gotten the ball rolling down in Mexico.


ES are European aren't they? The consumer protection law seems to be different in Europe, the dealers are responsible and can't delegate to the manufacturer, or avoid paying shipping. The European dealers will be reluctant to sell something that's got a high return rate.

Chris


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6044750 - 08/25/13 07:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think Russ Tanton of Explore Scientific may have gotten the ball rolling down in Mexico.


ES are European aren't they? The consumer protection law seems to be different in Europe, the dealers are responsible and can't delegate to the manufacturer, or avoid paying shipping. The European dealers will be reluctant to sell something that's got a high return rate.

Chris




Explore Scientific is a US company owned in part by the Japanese company JOC. I believe that Russ worked with Jerry Gonzales in Mexico on the LX80 problems. I don't have any idea what the division of labor was but it is Jerry's baby now since JOC is apparently out of the Meade takeover picture. I don't think that European consumer protection laws have any bearing on what is happening with the LX80 or the eventual price of the mount.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 12/26/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6044794 - 08/25/13 08:37 AM

Thanks, I think I was getting confused between Meade Europe, ES and JOC.

Chris

Edited by cn register 5 (08/25/13 08:38 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6045039 - 08/25/13 11:40 AM

So, does availability of the new model start with the merger, or are they still trying to talk Ningbo Sunny into building these?

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6045238 - 08/25/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

So, does availability of the new model start with the merger, or are they still trying to talk Ningbo Sunny into building these?
-Rich




Rich,

I don't know when the mount will be available for release or for beta testing. It didn't seem like the work was tied to the merger since it started before Sunny was in the picture.

According to Mr. Gonzales, the decision has been made to go forward with the revisions.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger
*****

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6045268 - 08/25/13 02:10 PM

From what I understood, these were ordered from a plant in China, so there would need to be funds put in place to order more. Russ was saying that was where things stopped- new cash needed to order replacement hardware.

-Rich


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6045326 - 08/25/13 02:40 PM

Quote:

From what I understood, these were ordered from a plant in China, so there would need to be funds put in place to order more. Russ was saying that was where things stopped- new cash needed to order replacement hardware.

-Rich




Rich,

Than they must have funded a limited number of upgrades now and then get into a larger volume after the merger. That makes sense. Jerry talked to me as of the upgrades were being tested now.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ur7x
sage


Reged: 01/08/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6046628 - 08/26/13 09:43 AM

Quote:


I think we here on CN often think the posts here represent the astro community as a whole. I'd bet there are a lot of users that haven't gotten close to testing the specs and are happy with the mount.




I think that many here and many manufactures really underestimate the impact of this community and this forum.

You know my story, I had got to a point in my life were I had some old optics that I wanted to use, and I had some money that I wanted to spend. After a Meade dealer basically told me I was nuts waiting for back ordered for a year LX80, I did a little more research on this site. At that point I realized the dealer was right and bought the CGEM.

The point is, that anyone who Googles any sort of Astro gear will come across this forum right quick. It is often the FIRST Google hit and it is ALWAYS in the top 10. My neighbor blindly buys a "floor model" LightSwitch, and begins to have nothing but issues with it. He too found this site and discovered Meade history of Beta testing products on early adopters, mostly with some simple lurking on this site he returned the LS (for some other poor customer to struggle with) and now has a AVX and an HD Edge OTA. I think this forum is a invaluable cross section of people who use there gear. If a product is bad, you will see it here first and you will see it here FAST.

Even your own experience showed this, as you put out an open call to all of the hidden happy LX80 owners... and you couldn't come up with 10. In fact you only came up with 6 1/2 and zero who had taken a photo with it. Of those 6 even more of them are now reporting the same issues that everyone else discovered.

Put out an open call to happy LX200 owners, or CGEM owners, or AVX owners or Atlas owners... You will likely pull in more than 6 1/2 happy customers.

It is good news that Meade will fix this underperforming mount. It is sad that it will take them over 12 months and a near bankruptcy to do it.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DuiA1
super member


Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6047404 - 08/26/13 05:43 PM

Mike, any word if the software testing included any polar alignment sequence/procedure similar to the AVX? How do you become a beta tester? Would we qualify given we raised these issues up the line?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: DuiA1]
      #6047429 - 08/26/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

Mike, any word if the software testing included any polar alignment sequence/procedure similar to the AVX? How do you become a beta tester? Would we qualify given we raised these issues up the line?




Dui,

I don't have any idea what is being covered in the software update. I do know that Jerry is seeing the post here. As far as beta testers, I don't know if they have all they need lined up yet or not. I'll ask Jerry about that and PM you.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)


Extra information
26 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 7335

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics