Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6047480 - 08/26/13 06:24 PM

ur7x,

I don't intend to diminish the impact CN has on the astro community as a whole but I do think that there are more users out there than ones aware of what goes on here. I think that's why I couldn't find 10 happy users. The number of LX80 users, happy and unhappy, wasn't all that big... maybe 15 or 20 tops. Just an educated guess. Meade had to have sold a lot more more mounts than that. I may not have approached it in a very smart way, but when I started buying equipment, I bought a C8 on eBay without knowing anything more than what I remembered from many years ago.

Finding 10 happy users of the LX200, CGEM or the new AVX shouldn't be hard. Even the AVX, here on CN, seems to have lots of users. From the post, there seem to be a fair number of users having problems with the AVX also. I know that that's probably because of the newness of the AVX and the problems are nothing like the LX80 has had.

I have had 2 problems with the LX80 and both were caused, in part, by my mistakes. To their credit, the problems were fixed quickly without talk of charging me because of user error. AP still isn't working for anything over 30 second subs. That again is due in part to my inexperience. I doubt if an experienced astrophotographer could do much better. The mount has a lot of problems and, with exception of the tripod, you wouldn't notice it if your payload is under 20 or 30 pounds and your not doing AP. I suggested that any upgrade offered to users be offered as 2 options. 1. A complete upgrade of the mount and tripod and, 2. upgrade of just the tripod. That way users that are happy with the mount can still get a more reliable tripod. Don't know what will become of that suggestion.

How the "fix" for the LX80 will be implemented is still to be seen, but at least Meade is making an attempt. Whatever the final procedure is for getting the upgrade into the hands of users probably won't make everyone happy.

And remember, almost everything I "think" with regards to the LX80 is opinion not based on hard facts. I'm not privy to much in the way of "inside information"!

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadowpdiggity

Reged: 07/23/12

Loc: new haven, indiana
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6047643 - 08/26/13 08:19 PM

Any ideal on a time frame for this. I would put another couple hu dried into my lx80 if it means it is done right and I can use it the way I want to. With the option of astro photography. Hopefully word comes soon.

shadowpdiggity

Reged: 07/23/12

Loc: new haven, indiana
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: shadowpdiggity]
      #6047652 - 08/26/13 08:28 PM

Fat fingers or poor typing skills. You decide.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: shadowpdiggity]
      #6047658 - 08/26/13 08:36 PM

No idea on time frame. Between my lack of typing skills and the iPad's spell checker, I make a lot of mistakes.

Mike

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6048418 - 08/27/13 09:10 AM

I would love to be a beta tester too, please let him know and let him know how much I have defended the mount. I still love it and its concept and am thrilled that they are trying to make it right. I will definitely be one of the ones who wants a total upgrade. I bought it for photography, and I am still using my old EQ5P because of the issues.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Jmax]
      #6049456 - 08/27/13 06:55 PM

John,

I'll pass names along the next time I talk with Jerry.

Mike

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
      #6049922 - 08/28/13 12:13 AM

I would also be interested in beta testing this mount.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Gvs]
      #6049964 - 08/28/13 01:22 AM

Quote:

I would also be interested in beta testing this mount.

You know what is weird.

For all the complaints about the LX80 mount, it seems like there are a great many folks who want to purchase and test the next rev of this mount.

It is my understanding Meade is still selling these mounts in quantity. I can only imagine what the sales would be like with the new mount if it lives up to what is planned.

Simply amazing...

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6049986 - 08/28/13 01:49 AM

Gday Andrew

Whats amazing???
I was seriously considering this mount till i saw the geartrain and motors.
I could have lived with the oddball worm, as i was never planning on using heavy OTAs or doing long focal length/long duration astrophotography, but the motor/geartrain scared me off.
( The tripod did too, but thats easy to fix for me )

If it works anywhere near close to spec after redesign, it will fill a big niche market ( price/capability wise ), and for me, it means i can use my existing handbboxes and system knowledge, vs buy and learn "another" handset.

If it does have LX200 style motors, then thats a huge improvement just there,
tho it may end up having the 8/3 error in PEC that celestron has unless the new firmware does three turn PEC like the LX200s.
Be interesting to see what its like when the testers get to kick the tyres.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #6050707 - 08/28/13 01:24 PM

Just to be sure everyone understands... I have NO pull of any kind with Meade...

If you want to be a tested for the mount, PM me with your contract info (name, address, email address and or phone) and I'll pass the list along. They may have everyone lined up already but putting your name in the hat couldn't hurt.

Mike

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
      #6051308 - 08/28/13 07:05 PM

Mike, I just stumbled upon this thread. You are certainly a main force behind this moving forward and I commend you, sir! Wow, I hopes this pans out!

Jerry

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: exparrot]
      #6051331 - 08/28/13 07:17 PM

Thanks Jerry. It really has been a group effort because Meade has been watching the threads.

Mike

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

#6052154 - 08/29/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

ur7x,

I don't intend to diminish the impact CN has on the astro community as a whole but I do think that there are more users out there than ones aware of what goes on here. I think that's why I couldn't find 10 happy users. The number of LX80 users, happy and unhappy, wasn't all that big... maybe 15 or 20 tops. Just an educated guess. Meade had to have sold a lot more more mounts than that. I may not have approached it in a very smart way, but when I started buying equipment, I bought a C8 on eBay without knowing anything more than what I remembered from many years ago.

Finding 10 happy users of the LX200, CGEM or the new AVX shouldn't be hard. Even the AVX, here on CN, seems to have lots of users. From the post, there seem to be a fair number of users having problems with the AVX also. I know that that's probably because of the newness of the AVX and the problems are nothing like the LX80 has had.

I have had 2 problems with the LX80 and both were caused, in part, by my mistakes. To their credit, the problems were fixed quickly without talk of charging me because of user error. AP still isn't working for anything over 30 second subs. That again is due in part to my inexperience. I doubt if an experienced astrophotographer could do much better. The mount has a lot of problems and, with exception of the tripod, you wouldn't notice it if your payload is under 20 or 30 pounds and your not doing AP. I suggested that any upgrade offered to users be offered as 2 options. 1. A complete upgrade of the mount and tripod and, 2. upgrade of just the tripod. That way users that are happy with the mount can still get a more reliable tripod. Don't know what will become of that suggestion.

How the "fix" for the LX80 will be implemented is still to be seen, but at least Meade is making an attempt. Whatever the final procedure is for getting the upgrade into the hands of users probably won't make everyone happy.

And remember, almost everything I "think" with regards to the LX80 is opinion not based on hard facts. I'm not privy to much in the way of "inside information"!

Mike

We can agree to disagree on much of that. The fact that your tripod top split into two pieces when you twisted one of the legs was not a problem caused by you... Both my CGEM and my smaller ASGT have seen way worse action than that and neither have suffered a catastrophic failure. In fact neither have failed in any way.

Sub 30 second exposures on a PEC mount is also a huge fail in just about anyone book. A properly polar aligned mount that is strong enough to hold up an OTA without it bouncing all around and has even close to properly cut gears should easily put out 60-90 second subs. Both of my mounts will do what with my 9.25 all night long, with nice round stars the result. I've seen way over loaded LX200's do the same.

The problem with the LX80 is not your inexperience; sadly, it has more to do with the fact the mount was under engineered out of the gate. That is not inside information either, that is pretty much a proven fact now.

SDTopensied

Reged: 04/25/11

Loc: Atlanta
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6063396 - 09/04/13 09:08 PM

I had an LX80, had problems with it, and ultimately ended up with a CGEM that I'm very happy with.

That being said, I really enjoyed using the AutoStar firmware and I liked the mount concept. I hope that Meade pulls it off and the end result is a contender worth comparing to competing products.

-Steve

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: SDTopensied]
      #6063534 - 09/04/13 11:08 PM

Yep... 2 years ago the LX80, on paper, looked to be the mount for me. The price was in my budget of under $1000. A GEM and a replacement for my SkyTee 2 AltAz mount. GEM capacity of 40 pounds. Accurate enough for AP. Wow - too good to be true. A fantastic mount for only $800.

Well, if Meade survives and if Sunny goes through with the upgrade started by Jerry Gonzales, it can still be a great product at a good price. Some big ifs but we should see soon.

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

#6067637 - 09/07/13 11:32 AM

Quote:

Wow - too good to be true.

And that turned out to be exactly the case.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6073838 - 09/10/13 08:08 PM

Hopefully there should be some activity on this soon, the merger vote is happening this Thursday, Sept. 12th. Just looked at part of the proxy statement dated Aug. 16th.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6074347 - 09/11/13 03:05 AM

The folks running the show down in Mexico are doing a fantastic job. The recent problems with Meade mounts wasn't their fault at all from what I can tell. The LX80's were bought by Meade directly from the manufacturer based on that manufacturer's word that they would perform as specified AND Meades marketing department pushed the specs aside and invented their own to sell more. Meade was desperate for cash after all. The people running the factory in Mexico didn't design or build them. When people started talking about the problems and sending them back to Meade that is when they really tore into it and identified all the issues. As a stop-gap fix they tightened it up and sent them back out because that was all they could really do without any money. In the mean time they called up that supplier and told them to stop sending them as they would not be buying more.

Now that there has been an influx in cash, they are proceeding to re-design the whole thing. You've seen the list of improvements. New gears, new worm, new motors, new tripod etc.

My understanding is that they are pacing the floor waiting for the firmware to be finished so they can test and release to beta but the firmware is taking forever. (I personally strongly believe they need a new guy so... Submit your resume!)

Again I want to say that most if not all of the information I have is based on casual conversations I've had with people that know a lot more than I do. Second or third hand information at best.

I really think that Meade's best days are ahead of them if they can get past this next week.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6074351 - 09/11/13 03:18 AM

That is exactly the take I have on the situation. Shouldn't be long now before we can see the first redesigned mounts coming out of Mexico.

Mike

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6074352 - 09/11/13 03:20 AM

The LX80 problems became Meade's responsibility when they put a Meade label on it.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7594

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics