Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6074576 - 09/11/13 08:42 AM

Not the first product that was released not quite ready and won't be the last. In fact it seems Celestron has one out they are scrambling to fix. It is how the company responds to these missteps they results in either positive or negative reactions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Stew57]
      #6074703 - 09/11/13 09:57 AM

Quote:

Not the first product that was released not quite ready and won't be the last. In fact it seems Celestron has one out they are scrambling to fix. It is how the company responds to these missteps they results in either positive or negative reactions.

If you are talking about the StarSense, you are wrong. One worked very well indeed at the just completed AHSP.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: rmollise]
      #6075198 - 09/11/13 02:13 PM

Meade never said it wasn't their responsibility Chris. That is why, now that they have some cash to spend, they are fixing it. If you do not have any money you don't have any money. You can't buy parts and materials and you don't really have much of a leg to stand on with your suppliers. Whoever made the mount for them had a "what are you going to do about it" attitude. Meade did not. Mistakes were made for sure but it wasn't made by the people at Meade who actually build stuff. That's all I am saying. You know I own both Meade and Celestron. I don't play favorites.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6075408 - 09/11/13 03:48 PM

I had a call this morning from Jerry Gonzales, Meaded's VP of Operations at the Mexico facility. He told me that they are within days of shipping the first FEW reworked LX80's to beta testers. I got the impression that the beta testers are already lined up so if you wanted to be one and don't know if you are, you probably are not. I did pass names along of those of you that wanted to test the mount - so much for any pull I have!

From what he told me of performance, it should be very good for a $1,000 mount. Also, the "upgrade" when it is available should be offered in 3 flavors. You will be able to upgrade the mount and tripod, just the mount or just the tripod. That sounds to me like a good way to take care of users that are happy with the performance but worried about the tripod as well as those of use that want everything upgraded. I guess if you have the mount on a pier you may not need the tripod upgrade. he did not share with me any dollar figures on the upgrades other than they won't be making any money on the project.

More as I know anything.

Mike

rmollise
Postmaster

#6075442 - 09/11/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

Meade never said it wasn't their responsibility Chris. That is why, now that they have some cash to spend, they are fixing it.

Where in pea-turkey did they get cash to spend?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6075448 - 09/11/13 04:05 PM

Quote:

Meade never said it wasn't their responsibility Chris. That is why, now that they have some cash to spend, they are fixing it. If you do not have any money you don't have any money. You can't buy parts and materials and you don't really have much of a leg to stand on with your suppliers. Whoever made the mount for them had a "what are you going to do about it" attitude. Meade did not. Mistakes were made for sure but it wasn't made by the people at Meade who actually build stuff. That's all I am saying. You know I own both Meade and Celestron. I don't play favorites.

You seem to be suggesting that they should be excused because it's their supplier's problem, or their own marketing department, or they really need the money.

If you were mugged, would you let the mugger off because he really needed the money?

Chris

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6075458 - 09/11/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Meade never said it wasn't their responsibility Chris. That is why, now that they have some cash to spend, they are fixing it.

Where in pea-turkey did they get cash to spend?

Rod,

Don't know about that but the mass availability of the upgrades are not available for now, just a few. They were working on this back before Sunny was in the picture when Explore Scientific was till the prime candidate for the takeover.

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6075469 - 09/11/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You seem to be suggesting that they should be excused because it's their supplier's problem, or their own marketing department, or they really need the money.

If you were mugged, would you let the mugger off because he really needed the money?

Chris

I don't think a mugger is a good analogy. A mugger intended to do the mugging. Meade is responsible for the mount because their name is on it. The problems with materials that seems to be a big part of the overall state of the mount was because of the builder. Meade is not blameless but has done what was in their power to make the mount right. Giving them credit for that, IMO, isn't excessive.

A better analogy may be a car accident that was Meade's fault. Meade did not leave the scene of the accident.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6075541 - 09/11/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Rod,

Don't know about that but the mass availability of the upgrades are not available for now, just a few. They were working on this back before Sunny was in the picture when Explore Scientific was till the prime candidate for the takeover.

Mike

Thanks, and I sure hope this works out for the LX80 owners.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #6075635 - 09/11/13 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rod,

Mike

Thanks, and I sure hope this works out for the LX80 owners.

My understanding is that Sunny gave them some money to cover operating costs but if the deal falls through they owe it back. That is what I meant. I learned about it in the 100 page long Meade thread we had a month ago.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
      #6075983 - 09/11/13 10:18 PM

Well, that's good new for me if it happens. I upgraded my tripod with a Jack's astro accessories tripod hub. He made two and I got one of them so I'd just need to send back the mount.

I had my LX80 out last night and was still impressed with alt/az mode carrying a TV85. I put every object into the center of a 60x eyepiece and I'd never had been able to find them star hopping with the LP around here. New gears that will be able to get the mount up to specs will be welcomed. Hope it happens.

Gvs

Reged: 05/19/11

Loc: Texas
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: JimMo]
      #6076096 - 09/11/13 11:38 PM

LX85 with starlock and I dive right in. If it can handle 12 inch OTA, it would be impressive.

Don't you all understand? It's to our benefit to save Meade, without them competition dies then you will pay more than 1500 for some of the stuff you can purchase under 1000 now.

You can be part of the problem our part of the solution. I chose the later.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Gvs]
      #6076121 - 09/11/13 11:50 PM

There are always iOptron, Explore Scientific, Astro Tech, Orion, and Antares running around to keep Celestron on their toes. And in effect they've been the only ones in the marketplace in force the past few years to do it.

-Rich

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6076145 - 09/12/13 12:06 AM

I wasn't under the impression there was any competition going on.

Neilson Shepard

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Gvs]
      #6076512 - 09/12/13 08:26 AM

Quote:

LX85 with starlock and I dive right in. If it can handle 12 inch OTA, it would be impressive.

Don't you all understand? It's to our benefit to save Meade, without them competition dies

I don't want to see Meade go, but you are wrong about this. Meade dies and someone else will fill the void.

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
      #6076621 - 09/12/13 09:40 AM

I'm a little worried about the "3 flavors" thing. That makes it sound like the complete upgrade is going to cost a lot, so they have to have reduced levels of upgrade.

I still love my LX80, but every time I use it I come to realize ever more how shaky it really is in RA. This is definitely a fault in the design and, in my opinion, should be fixed for as little as possible. Also, legs should not just break off top plates.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Jmax]
      #6076751 - 09/12/13 10:59 AM

The upgrade will be offered in the different configurations to allow owners that are happy with the mount to replace the tripod that could fail today or in 6 months or in 6 years.

The full upgrade could be $1000 with the mount/ tripod split $700/$300 or the full grade could be 80 cents with the mount tipod split 60 cents/20 cents. One of the FEW things I know for sure is that the grade isn't being offered as options because it is expensive. It won't be $1000 and it won't be 80 cents... Somewhere in between!

rmollise
Postmaster

#6076758 - 09/12/13 11:01 AM

1000 bucks to try to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse? Yeah, I'd say that is too expensive.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6076771 - 09/12/13 11:07 AM

Even though we don't know the "new" price for the "new" LX8x, but suspicion is in the end if someone wants the full upgrade, it might just be better to purchase the new version of this mount.

A fair number of folks seem very happy with the LX80 though. My bet is a few will do the partial upgrade, a small number will do the "full" upgrade.

Of course all of this is TBD.

Any news on the Meade front on this lazy day, September 12, 2013? I don't think much is happening today...

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: rmollise]
      #6076775 - 09/12/13 11:09 AM

Quote:

1000 bucks to try to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse? Yeah, I'd say that is too expensive.

Rod... Come on now. I picked $1000 just because it was as stupid as the 80 cent figure! Why didn't you pick the 80 cent figure and say.. "wow, upgrade for 80 cents - couldn't ask for more than that"

I really thought it would be obvious that the $1000 figure was not a real number for the upgrade. So, everyone that is not a real price and I have no idea as to what the price will be.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7576

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics