Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: elfram2]
      #6096008 - 09/22/13 11:25 PM

elfram2,

That's terrible turnaround for a repair... I guess you know that though. I think the timing, no falt of yours, was really bad. I bet, with the change in management things are a mess there. I would think 3 to 4 weeks would be reasonable turnaround with shipping factored in. You must have shipped it the first of August - have you called to check on it? Hopefully they'll try to make ithe delay up to you in some way. Let us know when you get it back.

Has anyone else experienced the same type of terrible turnaround? My 2 problems each took less than 2 weeks from shipp ng to getting it back.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6098069 - 09/24/13 09:38 AM

Quote:

Jerry,

The differences I see between this and the LX800 introduction is the quantity of mounts involved and the fact that there must be a lot of happy LX80 users out there.

We keep looking for all of these happy LX80 customers and yet we still can't find them...

I think this has more to do with how vocal a customer is with a $700 mount that doesn't perform per the documented specifications vs a $7000 mount that doesn't perform per the documented specifications. It is now clear that Meade only had the capacity to fix one at a time (both financially and otherwise) It looks like Management simply choose to fix the LX800 first, and are now getting around to fixing the LX80. Again this looks like nothing more than a business decision. People who buy a $7000 mount are likely to hold that mount to the specs and return it if it is not working. People who pay $700 and discover the mount that they bought to hold up a 8" SCT and dabble in AP is only able to support a 4" refactor for visual use are WAY more likely to "soak it up". We actually see evidence of that every day on this forum.

It is also more than a little curious that Meade's one year warranty for these mounts are all starting to expire... Just before the fix is released... hmmmm... coincidence?

ur7x
sage

#6098085 - 09/24/13 09:44 AM

Quote:

Has anyone else experienced the same type of terrible turnaround? My 2 problems each took less than 2 weeks from shipp ng to getting it back.

Mike

My neighbor had problems with his 8" lightswitch right out of the gate. Meade had the scope for over a month and when it returned it still didn't work. Returned it for a full refund.. Bought a 9.25HD and AVX instead.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6098352 - 09/24/13 12:02 PM

Since most people who bought the LX80 used a credit card they would have a 2nd year warranty provided by the credit card company. Most CC's have some kind of buyer protection plan that comes with any purchase over $100.
There are many people who own the LX80 who are happy with it
because the number of returns a well known shop in S. Calif has told me (twice now) that they had sold a number of LX80's with minimal returns.
Sure I wish that the LX80 would do AP as Meade advertised, hopefully Sunny/Meade will do something about this.
The bottom line is the LX80 is better than what some people portray but worse than it came advertised as.
For my situation I have a LX80 with 2 scopes on it for visual and a CGEM for any AP I want to do all for $1600.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6098472 - 09/24/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

£We keep looking for all of these happy LX80 customers and yet we still can't find them...

I think this has more to do with how vocal a customer is with a $700 mount that doesn't perform per the documented specifications vs a $7000 mount that doesn't perform per the documented specifications. It is now clear that Meade only had the capacity to fix one at a time (both financially and otherwise) It looks like Management simply choose to fix the LX800 first, and are now getting around to fixing the LX80. Again this looks like nothing more than a business decision. People who buy a $7000 mount are likely to hold that mount to the specs and return it if it is not working. People who pay $700 and discover the mount that they bought to hold up a 8" SCT and dabble in AP is only able to support a 4" refactor for visual use are WAY more likely to "soak it up". We actually see evidence of that every day on this forum.

It is also more than a little curious that Meade's one year warranty for these mounts are all starting to expire... Just before the fix is released... hmmmm... coincidence?

I think that the inability to find happy users is because the CN members make up a small %age of buyers.

The LX80 wasn't the complete and utter failure that the LX800 was. I'd have been much more unhappy if a $7000 purchase didn't work. The LX80 worked if you didn't press the specs which is probably the case with the majority of owners.

The timing on the fix that is planned is probably more due to timing and cash available rather than some big conspiracy.

I have not heard anything from Jerry Gonzales for a while now. Hope things in Mexico are going well with respect to the new management.

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6098481 - 09/24/13 01:23 PM

Brokewave,

I'm approaching the LX80 the same way. I picked up a iOptron zEQ25 to get started in AP and will use the LX80 for visual while the z25 is at work. If the fix of the LX80 makes it a good AP mount I'll have to reevaluate things. If you are into AP a second mount sure is a nice option.

Mike

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6098798 - 09/24/13 04:17 PM

In this hobby, having an extra mount or scope isn't a bad thing.
I mean, What percentage of CN members have only 1 scope and mount? Very few I would bet, indeed.

ur7x
sage

#6099968 - 09/25/13 09:16 AM

Quote:

I think that the inability to find happy users is because the CN members make up a small %age of buyers.

The LX80 wasn't the complete and utter failure that the LX800 was. I'd have been much more unhappy if a $7000 purchase didn't work. The LX80 worked if you didn't press the specs which is probably the case with the majority of owners.

The timing on the fix that is planned is probably more due to timing and cash available rather than some big conspiracy.

I have not heard anything from Jerry Gonzales for a while now. Hope things in Mexico are going well with respect to the new management.

Mike

First off I don't think that cloudy nights is a small sample, it is probably the largest collection of amateur astronomers on the planet. Secondly even a tiny sample, if it is statistically relevant will tell you a heck of a lot about the whole population. Third, given modern manufacturing practices and techniques... if one or two items fail out of the gate, then most, even all of them will eventually fail in that way. We have know about this since Colt designed firearms with interchangeable parts, or Cadillac did the same in 1902.

Notice you came up with some conspiracy idea about the timing of the fix... I never said it was a conspiracy, what I said was that Meade likely only had the money or the means to fix one... Since they knew that likely ALL of the LX800s would be returned. they fixed that one first. The fact that the LX80's are all about to go off warranty now, leaving those customer high and dry was just an added bonus for Meade corporate.

We can agree to disagree on if the LX80 was a total failure, my counter argument is that if it had of been a success, and if it had of launched on time, and if it had of done what it promised, them Meade would likely not ended in near bankruptcy. In business the measure of success or failure is brutally easy to see.

ur7x
sage

#6099981 - 09/25/13 09:24 AM

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6102545 - 09/26/13 03:26 PM

Information out of Meade is still nonexistent. Hope that it relates to the takeover and Jerry Gonzales is still on track with his revisions.

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
      #6103779 - 09/27/13 09:54 AM

I'm the same. I only have an EQ5P for photography, but it handles my very lightweight refractors as well as my AT6RC just fine. I absolutely love my LX80 as a visual/star party mount. At my last monthly star party, I again had my 8" Newtonian and C9.25 on the LX80. Once again, it worked perfectly (after a little trouble with aligning) for over 5 hours of putting every single object I went to within the field of view in both scopes and keeping the objects there perfectly. My only complaints at all about the mount are the shaky RA, no photographic ability, and weight. I knew the weight was a lot when I bought it, so you can't really count that. Also, I intended to put it permanently in my observatory for photography, so weight did not really matter. I will say that it's ability in star parties (two big scopes with very different focal lengths) is way cool! Others in the club absolutely love my setup.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Jmax]
      #6113447 - 10/02/13 04:05 PM

I've been eagerly awaiting news from Sunny or anyone in the know on the upgrade path forward. Any news? Meade has not returned my calls on my warranty extension which was verbally promised.

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: DuiA1]
      #6113468 - 10/02/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

I've been eagerly awaiting news from Sunny or anyone in the know on the upgrade path forward. Any news? Meade has not returned my calls on my warranty extension which was verbally promised.

So after a bit a fanfare of a soon to be announced "upgrade" we hear nothing out of Meade since. I commend Mike's efforts and while I still hope for the best, I bet my LX80 is destined to be an expensive alt az mount without any possibility of any EQ photography. My one year warranty expired in August. I'll bet us unwitting beta testers are just screwed.

I also don't think Meade is monitoring these threads anymore.

Unless something is done it'll take a bit of doing to convince me to buy anything Meade ever again.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: DuiA1]
      #6113762 - 10/02/13 06:46 PM

Dui and Jim,

Don't give up hope yet! I have not had any feedback for anyone with Meade in a while but from what I've heard elsewhere is that anyone at Meade can not discuss anything relating the mount until some things are sorted out internally due to the new management. I'm sure hat as soon as the involved party/parties at Meade can they will be talking again. While it is still possible the new management will kill everything relating to the LX80, I don't think that that will happen.

Just hang in there a while longer...

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: JimMo]
      #6113775 - 10/02/13 06:52 PM

Jim,

Pretty sure meade is still watching the threads on the LX80.

Mike

ur7x
sage

#6114032 - 10/02/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Dui and Jim,

Don't give up hope yet! I have not had any feedback for anyone with Meade in a while but from what I've heard elsewhere is that anyone at Meade can not discuss anything relating the mount until some things are sorted out internally due to the new management. I'm sure hat as soon as the involved party/parties at Meade can they will be talking again. While it is still possible the new management will kill everything relating to the LX80, I don't think that that will happen.

Just hang in there a while longer...

Mike

I thought we were all asked not to speculate about Meade's plans post merger unless we actually know something.

If this level of speculation is now OK with the mods, please let me know and I will offer counter speculation. and then in 6 to 12 months we can review who's wild xxx guesses are right.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #6114212 - 10/02/13 10:23 PM

Here is a short clip of what is going on inside Meade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6114245 - 10/02/13 10:44 PM

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #6123342 - 10/07/13 06:43 PM

I decided to take the warranty repair route. When I call, I am not given an RGA (Return Goods Authorization) number but a promise of a call back, "after checking with another department". Repeated contact leads to the same outcome, i.e. describe your problems and we will get back.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: Daud]
      #6123430 - 10/07/13 07:26 PM

Quote:

I decided to take the warranty repair route. When I call, I am not given an RGA (Return Goods Authorization) number but a promise of a call back, "after checking with another department". Repeated contact leads to the same outcome, i.e. describe your problems and we will get back.

Duad,

Thats a bit scary! The change in management shouldn't stop customer service. Please let us know when/if you get a resolution.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7290

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics