Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6076782 - 09/12/13 11:12 AM

The Meade shareholders are to vote on the merger today. If approved (likely).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6076827 - 09/12/13 11:49 AM

I'm going to make a guess,
a new tripod top for $150. and rework the mount for $399.00 plus shipping and the new mount for $1099.

If the rework is good then I think these would be fair prices with the way telescope stuff is priced these days. But I would feel better if each one was $100. less than my predictions. Hopefully its not more.

Neilson

Jmax
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: Alabama
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: neilson]
      #6076838 - 09/12/13 11:56 AM

If the prices are that high, then they can forget me. I paid $800 for the mount already, with the promises that it would hold my scopes and work for photography. If I had wanted to spend $1200, I would have gotten the tried and true Atlas, EQ6, or CGEM. I think we shouldn't speculate too much, but I hope the 'new' Meade makes it right for something a little less than that. I would suggest $50 for the tripod upgrade and maybe up to $200 (preferably less) for the complete one. I think that would be fair and just about my limits as to what I would want to invest and have to go through shipping mine back, getting a new one and hoping it is not damaged in shipping and that it actually works.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Jmax]
      #6076852 - 09/12/13 12:02 PM

I agree with you or even $99. for the mount work and $50 for the tripod but despite Meade saying they wont make any money on it. I don't believe them. I think they plan to. I hope I am wrong.

Neilson

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6076869 - 09/12/13 12:09 PM

Quote:

If the prices are that high, then they can forget me. I paid $800 for the mount already, with the promises that it would hold my scopes and work for photography. If I had wanted to spend $1200, I would have gotten the tried and true Atlas, EQ6, or CGEM. I think we shouldn't speculate too much, but I hope the 'new' Meade makes it right for something a little less than that. I would suggest $50 for the tripod upgrade and maybe up to $200 (preferably less) for the complete one. I think that would be fair and just about my limits as to what I would want to invest and have to go through shipping mine back, getting a new one and hoping it is not damaged in shipping and that it actually works.

Jim,

None of the mounts you listed are $1200 so a mount with the performance of a CGEM for $1200 wouldn't be a bad deal. Don't get me wrong, I hope they keep the new mount price at $1000. I do know that their cost, initially, are going to be higher than before. If I had to guess, I think Neilson's guess are closer to what we will see. But it's all guess work now. Shouldn't be too much longer to get some real info. One of the few facts I got from talking to Jerry Gonzales is that they are to the point of talking about pricing.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6076875 - 09/12/13 12:12 PM

Quote:

Rod... Come on now. I picked $1000 just because it was as stupid as the 80 cent figure! Why didn't you pick the 80 cent figure and say.. "wow, upgrade for 80 cents - couldn't ask for more than that"

Because the 1000 dollar figure of yours is closer to reality, I suspect. AND...I am sorry to say, at this point the idea of any upgrade is nothing more than pie in the sky, anyhow.

Jmax
professor emeritus

#6076925 - 09/12/13 12:44 PM

That is true for a new one, I have seen them on sale, though, close to that price. Telescopes.com had them for $1299 right at the time I bought the LX80. And at that time, I could also have bought several used mounts of this class for around $1000 or even less. I would have, had it not been for the direct lies told about the LX80's capacity!

If they charge this much for those of us who honestly bought the mount believing it would do what they said, then they will lose a lot more customers in the future. That is a fact, not a fiction like their original specs about the LX80's capacity!

You know I have been a staunch supporter of both Meade and the LX80, but there is a point where that ends. If they are going to charge that much, then they shouldn't even offer a fix. It will just be an insult to us who feel like we now have a mount that was abandoned, unless we paid their price to make it right (like it was supposed to have been when we originally bought it). And they danged sure had better not sell a new LX85 mount for less than what it costs us to get our LX80s fixed plus the $800 we originally paid.

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
      #6076943 - 09/12/13 12:54 PM

Why isn't this being handled the same as the LX800 debacle? Generally, the same sort of situation, but Meade did a recall with that one. AFAIK, the early adopters did not have to pay for a fixed mount. Maybe I'm wrong on that, though - I didn't watch those marathon LX800 threads that closely.

Jerry

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: rmollise]
      #6076957 - 09/12/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rod... Come on now. I picked $1000 just because it was as stupid as the 80 cent figure! Why didn't you pick the 80 cent figure and say.. "wow, upgrade for 80 cents - couldn't ask for more than that"

Because the 1000 dollar figure of yours is closer to reality, I suspect. AND...I am sorry to say, at this point the idea of any upgrade is nothing more than pie in the sky, anyhow.

Rod,

I think the 80 cent price I made up will be closer to the $1000 price I made up. But, we'll see how it come down. The mass produced updates may still be pie in the sky but there are a limited number done waiting on software.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: exparrot]
      #6076971 - 09/12/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Why isn't this being handled the same as the LX800 debacle? Generally, the same sort of situation, but Meade did a recall with that one. AFAIK, the early adopters did not have to pay for a fixed mount. Maybe I'm wrong on that, though - I didn't watch those marathon LX800 threads that closely.

Jerry

Jerry,

The differences I see between this and the LX800 introduction is the quantity of mounts involved and the fact that there must be a lot of happy LX80 users out there. I know that an order for 400 was sent to Europe so how many did they sell in the US. The fact that there will be a limited number of users that want to buy an upgrade may play in our favor, IF they are doing it at or under cost. Who knows anything at this time?

Mike

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6077079 - 09/12/13 01:56 PM

Quote:

I agree with you or even $99. for the mount work and $50 for the tripod but despite Meade saying they wont make any money on it. I don't believe them. I think they plan to.

Dunno what it would take to make a profit, but I know they'd be losing big at $99. I'd love to buy a pair of motors and gear sets for any mount for that kind of money but I've never come close. Celestron gets $129 for each motor (and no gears) for their low-end mounts and several hundred dollars for each motor/worm assembly on the larger ones. I've paid $300 for a used pair of Vixen motors (with one spur gear each). The last mount drive motor I bought was from Takahashi at $400 (for one!) and that didn't include any gears or encoders.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6077153 - 09/12/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you or even $99. for the mount work and $50 for the tripod but despite Meade saying they wont make any money on it. I don't believe them. I think they plan to.

Dunno what it would take to make a profit, but I know they'd be losing big at $99. I'd love to buy a pair of motors and gear sets for any mount for that kind of money but I've never come close. Celestron gets $129 for each motor (and no gears) for their low-end mounts and several hundred dollars for each motor/worm assembly on the larger ones. I've paid $300 for a used pair of Vixen motors (with one spur gear each). The last mount drive motor I bought was from Takahashi at $400 (for one!) and that didn't include any gears or encoders.

John,

I didn't realize that the parts were that expensive. I assume Meade is buying at a better price than you could. Still, Jerry Gonzales told me that it is almost a completely different mount inside. Don't think a $99 upgrade is in our future.

Jmax
professor emeritus

#6077175 - 09/12/13 02:33 PM

I think the biggest issue of all for me will be, do I take the plunge again with an upgrade or wait to see how it works for the early upgraders. How long will they offer the upgrade? You know, I'm pretty happy with my mount visually, but I really bought it for photography. Will the newly upgraded mount do what they said the LX80 would do, photographically? Should I just keep my old LX80 and resolve myself to have a 90lb behemoth to take to star parties when I could have a much more 'grab and go' Mini Tower? Or should I take a chance that the upgrade will make the mount my observatory mount, for which I originally bought it? It would really help a lot, if they simply would finally have the promised autoguider dongle readily available, you know?

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6077183 - 09/12/13 02:36 PM

I think the prices for motors are ridiculous. I don't think some one like Meade or Celestron pays anywhere near those prices. That's the retail prices on the market and there only that much because people will pay it.
The reason I gave that high price for the mount repair is because of the LX200 motors.

Neilson

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #6095360 - 09/22/13 04:45 PM

I am trying to understand what is my warranty. I have pdf file of my original order. Many months later the mount shipped, I still have the boxes and can see the date of shipment. Shall I ask Astronomics for a copy of the invoice reflecting the date of shipment ? I would be inside the one year warranty only if calculated on the date of shipment..

Edited by Daud (09/22/13 04:46 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Daud]
      #6095397 - 09/22/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

I am trying to understand what is my warranty. I have pdf file of my original order. Many months later the mount shipped, I still have the boxes and can see the date of shipment. Shall I ask Astronomics for a copy of the invoice reflecting the date of shipment ? I would be inside the one year warranty only if calculated on the date of shipment..

I ran into the same issue and Astronomics provided me with a copy of the sales order that showed the ship date. On one return for service, I took a photo of the shipping lable and included,a,printout of that. Meade went by the shipping date rather than the sales date with, like your's, was several months later.

Mike

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6095724 - 09/22/13 08:38 PM

Neilson, you'd be surprised - shocked even - at how much servo motors cost. A couple hundred bucks for a Pittman with gearhead and optical encoder. The encoder alone is about a hundred bucks.. I really have no idea how much the Maxon motors in an AP are, but the Takahashi stepper motors that John C mentions are about $280 each list from Vexta.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6095872 - 09/22/13 10:06 PM

That's retail prices we have to pay. I've seen the ridiculous prices they want. A company buying a large amount is going to get them for a lot less. Otherwise that LX80 mod is going to be very expensive.

Neilson

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#6095915 - 09/22/13 10:27 PM

Gday Neilson

Dunno.
If the new mod merely uses the existing LX200 motor/encoder/Gbx unit, then the bulk purchasing benefits for an existing item may just cut in.
Has anyone opened up an LX600 to see if it still uses the same motors????

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

elfram2

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: Cincinnati Oh
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: Daud]
      #6095968 - 09/22/13 11:04 PM

Not sure what your warranty issue is but my lx80 arrived at meade on Aug 7 and I'm still waiting for it to get repaired. I doubt I will ever do much more business with them much less spend the money to ship it out for an upgrade. I might never see it before my grandkids graduate college and I don't even have any yet!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7316

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics