Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6138048 - 10/14/13 11:08 PM

Never received any response, phone call or email from any of the reps I contacted.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Daud]
      #6138191 - 10/15/13 12:38 AM

Yeah, this isn't sounding very good. :/

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: WesC]
      #6139287 - 10/15/13 03:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, this isn't sounding very good. :/

Meade news: link. Especially interesting is the lack of LX80/LX85 news - at least to this current thread.

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6139544 - 10/15/13 06:07 PM

So in the vacuum of news about this mount... All that is left is speculation.

Very interesting that it was not included in their list of "proud" products.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #6139552 - 10/15/13 06:13 PM

No mention of the LX80/85 because the LX80 is no longer in production and the LX85 doesn't exist. We've been over this. The new version of this mount is called the VM-1. The VM-1 is completed and ready to go into production. Only prototypes exist right now. These need in-house testing and evaluation and a price point set and then the numbers run to see how much money could be made at its performance and cost. With the merger and all the stuff that goes along with it I am sure that certifying the VM-1 for production is far down on the list. Once the dust settles, which I wouldn't think would be much longer, I am sure they will get them out to the first round of beta testing if they haven't already.

While I agree that this is not the best time for Meade to be keep quiet on their plans for the future, I am not surprised either. Be patient.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6140116 - 10/16/13 12:17 AM

Thank you for the correct info Michael! Your intimate knowledge of the situation is appreciated!

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6140146 - 10/16/13 12:46 AM

Michael,

Thanks for the date! I haven't heard anything since before the buyout was finalized. I bought another mount to start learning more about AP so when I get an updated LX80 I can evaluate it with less user error impacting the results.

Mike

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6140447 - 10/16/13 08:59 AM

Quote:

So in the vacuum of news about this mount... All that is left is speculation.

Truer words have never been spoken.

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #6140512 - 10/16/13 09:36 AM

So I see that the LTs can not be ordered. Meade has dropped that line then?

ur7x
sage

#6140518 - 10/16/13 09:40 AM

Quote:

No mention of the LX80/85 because the LX80 is no longer in production and the LX85 doesn't exist. We've been over this. The new version of this mount is called the VM-1. The VM-1 is completed and ready to go into production. Only prototypes exist right now. These need in-house testing and evaluation and a price point set and then the numbers run to see how much money could be made at its performance and cost. With the merger and all the stuff that goes along with it I am sure that certifying the VM-1 for production is far down on the list. Once the dust settles, which I wouldn't think would be much longer, I am sure they will get them out to the first round of beta testing if they haven't already.

While I agree that this is not the best time for Meade to be keep quiet on their plans for the future, I am not surprised either. Be patient.

Not that I' doubting this Micheal, but do we have anything that substantiates this news? I can find no links about the VM1 anywhere (other than the LX80 news group and they say they got the news here)... Is this just speculation too?

Quote:

Michael,

Thanks for the update! I haven't heard anything since before the buyout was finalized. I bought another mount to start learning more about AP so when I get an updated LX80 I can evaluate it with less user error impacting the results.

Mike

Funny how two people can read the same news and come away with completely different results.

As I read Micheal's news... it looks to me like the VM1 will be a new offering and there will be no upgrade path from the LX80. Looks to me like Meade is walking away from the LX80. The fact that they are giving it a completely different name, from a marketing POV also speaks volumes.

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #6140635 - 10/16/13 10:39 AM

Quote:

... Looks to me like Meade is walking away from the LX80. The fact that they are giving it a completely different name, from a marketing POV also speaks volumes.

..and the fact that when you repeatedly call for a LX80 warranty repair you are ignored also speaks volumes.
Shall I write a letter to Mr. Lupica pointing to the PR announcement "honoring warranty" blurp ?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6140641 - 10/16/13 10:43 AM

If you were Ningbo Sunny, would you push money into a rival Chinese company which had already foobed the original lx80? Or, would you invest in Meade, which you had just paid $5 million for, has vital IP for products, and is able to work with your factory directly to produce products internally and fill the assembly lines with orders? Note, the release says they are doing the second one. If they can get whole, maybe the LX85 will come back. They do need a mount that size since the market appears to get exponentially larger at smaller sizes.

-Rich

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #6140703 - 10/16/13 11:27 AM

Time will tell

ur7x
sage

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. new [Re: Daud]
      #6140709 - 10/16/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

..and the fact that when you repeatedly call for a LX80 warranty repair you are ignored also speaks volumes.
Shall I write a letter to Mr. Lupica pointing to the PR announcement "honoring warranty" blurp ?

The first rule of LX80 Warranty Repair is don't talk about LX80 Warranty Repair...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#6140774 - 10/16/13 12:10 PM

My take on it is this: The LX80 warranty would be to essentially upgrade it since it has so many mechanical flaws. They are not just swapping a part off the shelf into your LX80 and sending it back.

Therefore, they are in limbo now because there hasn't been a final decision on what to do next. When the VM-1 is finalized and goes into production, they will have the parts to fix the LX80 in stock since the LX80 owners are essentially getting VM-1 upgrades. Right now there is nothing they can do.

What I would like to see is Meade respond in this thread the way Celestron responds in their threads and explain this.

Folks, we don't have the parts yet as we haven't been given the green light. We expect to go forward in the next month but we don't want you to send your mounts to us and have them just sit here if there is any way you can use them while you wait. Please be patient with us as we are undergoing internal changes within the company after our recent merger and reorganization. Thank you for your understanding.

Meade, feel free to copy & paste that statement and send a check in the mail asap.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

#6140793 - 10/16/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Meade, feel free to copy & paste that statement and send a check in the mail asap.

Complete and total speculation. Posting such might be interpreted as fact and further confuse casual readers. I certainly wish the speculation would stop. I have no horses in this race as I have no desire, whatsoever, to purchase this or any other version of this mount. In the interest of those that are interested, such speculative comments have no purpose at all.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#6140805 - 10/16/13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Not that I' doubting this Micheal, but do we have anything that substantiates this news? I can find no links about the VM1 anywhere (other than the LX80 news group and they say they got the news here)... Is this just speculation too?

Here is what I know for a fact. No speculation at all.
The LX80 is dead.
They still like the idea behind the LX80
Meade engineers have built their own LX80 and completely overhauled it with much better parts.
The name they came up with is VM-1. (I have no idea what it means)
There are a few prototypes down in Mexico and the firmware for it is pretty much complete if not already complete as I type this. Same guy who writes all their code has had the VM-1 and Max2 for a while now and has been busy with them.
Before the merger got underway, it was Meades intention to get them out for beta testing about two weeks ago. However the new people asked to pause while everything is evaluated and certified.
I personally know of two of their potential beta testers for the VM-1 and neither of them has one and neither of them has heard when they will get it.
Quote:

Funny how two people can read the same news and come away with completely different results.

As I read Micheal's news... it looks to me like the VM1 will be a new offering and there will be no upgrade path from the LX80. Looks to me like Meade is walking away from the LX80. The fact that they are giving it a completely different name, from a marketing POV also speaks volumes.

From my discussions with Meade the upgrade path is still planned on at a cost to existing owners. Previously in this thread I believe we spoke about what changes were made. New gears, motors, tripod, worm, and something else? Oh I think the autoguider port is now part of the unit so a separate module is no longer necessary.

However, and this part is about 50% speculation and 50% solid information, unless the VM-1 goes into production so there are parts in stock, I don't think the upgrade path will happen.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#6140830 - 10/16/13 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Complete and total speculation. Posting such might be interpreted as fact and further confuse casual readers. I certainly wish the speculation would stop. I have no horses in this race as I have no desire, whatsoever, to purchase this or any other version of this mount. In the interest of those that are interested, such speculative comments have no purpose at all.

This isn't speculation but an example of the kind of statement I would like to see from Meade pertaining to the LX80 and warranty repair. I was pretty clear on that and if the casual reader doesn't understand that then too bad.

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #6140851 - 10/16/13 12:50 PM

Meade tends to be a Hot Topic, so lets all tread lightly please.
Any Personal attacks, Rude posts or Vendor bashing will not be tolerated, think before you post.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: LX80 upgrade LX85. [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6141259 - 10/16/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

No mention of the LX80/85 because the LX80 is no longer in production and the LX85 doesn't exist. We've been over this. The new version of this mount is called the VM-1.

You mean this VM1?

I am not convinced this is anything more than somebody's (not your) idea of a joke.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7532

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics