Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/10/07

Loc: none of your buss
Re: Looking at EQ mounts, hopelessly confused new [Re: Bill W.]
      #6064959 - 09/05/13 06:10 PM

I had a 6" refractor on the Skywatcher EQ5 mount and the ASGT mount and the LXD-75 mount and it can easily handle it for visual needs altho I never did AP. so you don't have to buy an atlas pro now at 1500 buy a used CG5 mount (you can get a used none goto for like $250) with 2" steel legs use that later maybe upgrade to a EQ6 mount,
joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Adeema

Reged: 09/12/12

Re: Looking at EQ mounts, hopelessly confused new [Re: Bill W.]
      #6155259 - 10/24/13 10:51 AM

Since deciding to hold off on this purchase, my home was unfortunately broken into and robbed. We lost a lot, but thankfully the insurance came through and a good portion of the stolen items are being replaced, though some items can never be replaced

They ended up taking the 8SE, as well as a good chunk of accessories. Instead of replacing the astronomy equipment they stole, my insurer permitted me to upgrade to something else and pay the difference, so I'm going to jump right up to the AZ-EQ6.

It's definitely overkill for the remaining telescopes the robbers thankfully ignored in their little adventure through my home, but it'll be perfect for the AR I'll probably grab in a few months time. Hopefully it'll be the last mount I ever have to buy, since I don't anticipate moving up to anything bigger.

I still miss that 8SE... I loved that scope

BoldAxis1967
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Looking at EQ mounts, hopelessly confused new [Re: Adeema]
      #6155613 - 10/24/13 01:50 PM

My condolences on being robbed. It happened to me and it was an awful and frustrating feeling. Lost all my electronics and most of my music collection, some of which was irreplaceable. The pain still lingers in one corner even though it has been years. I was in graduate school at the time, no insurance. At least your insurance company seems to be cooperating. With all of my astronomy purchases over the internet it is easy to save the receipts. I have a hard copy and as well as copies on my home and work computers. My insurance is at replacement cost and the difference in premiums is not that much.

Hope you recover spiritually and materially sooner than later.

LB

Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
Re: Looking at EQ mounts, hopelessly confused new [Re: BoldAxis1967]
      #6156223 - 10/24/13 07:32 PM

You said that you wanted to be able to move the scope without having to use the motors or go-to? The losmandy mounts will allow you to do this since they use clutches. If you are not going to do any go-to you can simply move the mounts to where you want and they will continue to track. You can also have the straight digital drive with Digital Setting Circles and keep track of the position no matter how much you move by hand. I believe the AR150 would be okay visually with the GM-8 and would work well with the G-11 for AP. I have seen these situations in my own experience. However I believe thinking twice and going to another refractor/scope choice with a less expensive mount is a rational move. Good luck with the shopping! Sorry you had a thief. I hate a thief.

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
Re: Looking at EQ mounts, hopelessly confused new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #6156681 - 10/25/13 01:15 AM

Sorry about the break-in. I have had that happen once and it turned me into a very cautious person. It is a very unpleasant invasion of the private sphere.

You are right in choosing the AZ-EQ6. It is a very versatile mount that can take you very deep into astro-photography territory in addition to being an excellent mount for push-to and goto. Belt drive is the way to go if direct drive is not suitable, and AZ-EQ6 has belts. Nice and quiet

/per

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1500

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics