Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
urassner
sage

Reged: 07/08/12

Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO
      #6042820 - 08/24/13 01:19 AM

In the next week or two I should be getting my dream mount (a used AP900 GTO CP3). I would appreciate any suggestions for a good regulated power supply and/or battery pack. Was has worked well for you ?
Thank you.

Ulrich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: urassner]
      #6042839 - 08/24/13 01:42 AM

I have found that the Pyramid PS9kx 12v regulated power supply rated at5amps constant and 7amp peak has worked well for me for all my mounts from a G11 to a AVX and my cameras. I bought one from Amazon last year for about $30.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: mistyridge]
      #6042842 - 08/24/13 01:46 AM

I also use this same Pyramid PS9kx and I think it is the same one that AP sells too. I have two of these that I used for the AP900 and Losmandy GM-8. They work well and power the mount with no problems at all.
Blueman

Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: blueman]
      #6042872 - 08/24/13 02:50 AM

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

I LOVE my 900GTO mount!

I use a 12V 6A 72watt power supply in a sealed plastic housing.

http://www.newpowersupply.com/72w_12v_6a_5_5_2_5mm_tip_lcd_ac_adapter_bulk_mo...

urassner
sage

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6043666 - 08/24/13 01:52 PM

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #6043957 - 08/24/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery pack for the AP 900?

For that, you need to provide more details, such as
1) What else would you need to power? Dewstrips? Focusers? Computer?
2) How long will you run it? All night? All weekend?

I know that my 1200 runs on half an amp tracking and up to 2 amps slewing. Using current draw of an amp per hour over an 8 hour night would indicate a ~17AH battery. You don't want to draw batteries below the 50% level. A wheelchair battery (~35AH) would last a weekend.

urassner
sage

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #6044010 - 08/24/13 05:54 PM

Thanks for your battery information. I am only going to run the mount on this with a 20 pound 6 inch refractor. However, I also want it to work in the winter down to about 10F.
I was thinking about 20Ah or so.
Has anyone here have experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries?

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6044025 - 08/24/13 06:08 PM

Check out this document on the AP website. It tells you exactly what you need to power your mount in the field.
Read from page 14 on
http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/mounts/servo/gtocp3manual-2011-0718...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: andysea]
      #6044190 - 08/24/13 08:36 PM

I've had discussions with the AP crown as well as reading that.

So, to distill what I learned down...

You'll need about 39 AH of 12 V power.

The ideal battery is a golf-cart or scooter battery. Automotive batteries are damaged by deep drawdown, and marine deep cycle batteries still have part of this startup function. You can either find 12V batteries or get 6V batteries and hook them up in series.

I have seen some housings which look like suitable batteries could be put in them and they'd have 12V plugs in place, but I'm not sure I can get them together with the right battery. If a sparky went and picked a reference set of parts, that would be a huge help.

-Rich

urassner
sage

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6044281 - 08/24/13 09:40 PM

Rich & Andy, thank you for your insight. I had read the AP info, but had also come across posts with people using a 17 AH battery. From your discussions with AP, was the reasoning to have enough power for a couple nights?
Have you heard anything about Lithium Iron batteries? They seem to be quite a bit more expensive, but a fraction of the weight. Not sure if it is worth the price premium though.

RodShea

Reged: 11/01/09

#6044453 - 08/25/13 12:12 AM

Optima yellow or blue top batteries in "MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center" battery boxes work well. The cases are well built, and have good sockets in them. They also have circuit breakers instead of fuses.

Rod

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: RodShea]
      #6044521 - 08/25/13 01:17 AM

They recommend taking 30 amp-hours to get through at least one cold night. Just a bit more gets you through two nights the rest of the year. I can't personally imagine having two sets of batteries at that scale.

I was interested in the MinnKota boxes, though it would take some measuring to make sure golfcart batteries would go in. I like the circuit breaker feature, though.

-Rich

blueman
Photon Catcher

#6044563 - 08/25/13 01:49 AM

I use two large deep cycle batteries in the field. They are about 110 amp hour each. I use one for the mount and the other is for the laptop and other things. I charge them each day for the next night.
Blueman

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6044594 - 08/25/13 02:21 AM

How much do those weigh?

I was thinking something like this 12v 45 ah scooter battery:

http://www.topmobility.com/excel-12v-45ah-sla-batteries-p787.htm

Is the 110 ah size to make sure you never get deep into a charge?

-Rich

blueman
Photon Catcher

#6044604 - 08/25/13 02:31 AM

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Plus I buy the batteries for $8o each or so. Much cheaper, just heavier.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #6044894 - 08/25/13 10:08 AM

I use the power supply AP sells when observing at home, an Optima blue top deep cycle when I'm not near an outlet.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6045031 - 08/25/13 11:36 AM

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

Quote:

My 100+ amp hour batteries must weigh 50+ lbs each. I have never weighed them. But when I go imaging the system will run all night and I need a lot of power to insure that the electronics get the required voltage. By having large batteries they can deliver enough amps that they will hold the 12vdc or better all night. Plus they do not get overly discharged.
Smaller batteries do no last, they get too run down in a night and then they will start to lose their depth of
charge.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #6045239 - 08/25/13 01:50 PM

Look for marine deep cycle batteries at Walmart.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: korborh]
      #6045262 - 08/25/13 02:04 PM

From what AP says, that's the wrong type of battery.

-Rich

blueman
Photon Catcher

#6045277 - 08/25/13 02:15 PM

I have purchased three from WalMart over the years. The two I have today are both Walmart batteries and cost under $80. I bought them 3-4 years ago.

I found this for the what seems to be 96 amp hr for $100 and it is 61.7 lbs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539

This is what they now seem to rate at 94 amp hr for $78. I think this is similar to the ones that I have. Looks like them. But mine show a higher rating on the top.
Blueman

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539
Quote:

I've got to ask- Where are you getting 110 ah batteries for $80? The ones I'm finding with 40% of that capacity are three times that price!

-Rich

Quote:

charge.

Blueman
Quote:

How much do those weigh?

-Rich

blueman
Photon Catcher

#6045281 - 08/25/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

-Rich

Which battery are you referring to? I have used these batteries for G-11, MI-250 and AP900
Blueman

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6045290 - 08/25/13 02:23 PM

Hm. Looks like the 24Ah AGM I ordered, which I intend to use to power both my Mach1 and camera TEC, is way too puny... and it cost around $60.

Trolling batteries or similar aren't that easy to find around here (no Walmart).

blueman
Photon Catcher

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6045341 - 08/25/13 02:45 PM

Well, it is all relative to how long you run the mount and other accessories. The amount of slewing time too effects the total draw.
Blueman
Quote:

Hm. Looks like the 24Ah AGM I ordered, which I intend to use to power both my Mach1 and camera TEC, is way too puny... and it cost around $60.

Trolling batteries or similar aren't that easy to find around here (no Walmart).

RodShea

Reged: 11/01/09

#6045574 - 08/25/13 05:34 PM

Amazon sells Optima batteries, ans ships them <free> with Amazon Prime, they also ship the MinnKota boxes.

AP sez you should use a separate battery for the mount. I have always done so, w/o problems. I know people who had trouble with mount behavior when sharing batteries.

Hope this helps,

Rod

blueman
Photon Catcher

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: RodShea]
      #6045680 - 08/25/13 06:19 PM

This is why I use two batteries. The mount gets its own and the rest of the accessories use the second battery.
Blueman
Quote:

Amazon sells Optima batteries, ans ships them <free> with Amazon Prime, they also ship the MinnKota boxes.

AP sez you should use a separate battery for the mount. I have always done so, w/o problems. I know people who had trouble with mount behavior when sharing batteries.

Hope this helps,

Rod

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #6045742 - 08/25/13 06:52 PM

Just after I got my AP1600, I bought two Pyramid 12 amp power supplies. I've switch all of my equipment - laptop, camera and everything - to 12 volts with no inverters. The power supply feeds a RigRunner for distribution and everything is connected with Anderson PowerPoles. The average current draw during a session is about 5 amps, and the peak draw has never exceeded 7.5 amps - well within the power supply's specs.

I was using the power supply a few weeks ago, when it started buzzing softly. At the same time, several of my pieces of gear either set off warning lights or shut down. I have an accurate current meter inline with the power supply, and it showed that the Pyramid unit had jumped to about 19.5 volts.

Fortunately, none of my gear was damaged, but I will never use a Pyramid power supply again. I could understand if it failed to a lower voltage, but it is completely unacceptable to fail to a much higher voltage than rated.

I've since replaced the Pyramid unit with one from PowerWerx. The PowerWerx unit is smaller and lighter, is rated for 30 amps, and runs very cool (it never seems to exceed ambient temperature, while both of the Pyramid units were quite hot to the touch in operation). The PowerWerx unit was more than triple the cost of the Pyramid power supply, but I've got nearly $20k of equipment set up and after watching the Pyramid unit fail (it's fortunate I was right there, because I run fully automated and typically unattended), I'm willing to pay for a better unit.

Regarding batteries, I've had a great experience with Universal Battery UB-12350's to power my mounts in the field. They are 35ah AGM batteries designed for wheelchairs. They're plenty for a mount and my are 6 years old and still going strong. For a fully battery powered field setup, I have two Universal UB-12750's that are 75ah AGMs. This is the first year that I've had them, so I don't have a long term report. I am hoping to have the same success that I've had with the smaller ones.

-Wade

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: WadeH237]
      #6045859 - 08/25/13 08:08 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

I use Optima D34M Marine Deep Cycle battery from:

http://www.1st-wholesale-batteries.com/

It costs $210 including shipping. It lasts a long time. I use it to power the Mach1GTO, CCD camera, and USB powered hub. My laptop is powered by house current.

The battery box is from Wal-Mart and two outlets are from Home Depot. I absolutely hate cigarette lighter plugs/sockets. You can use any other types of outlets but I find A/C outlet to power 12V devices very durable and simple. Each outlet is protected by 10A inline fuse. No, I never accidentally plug into house outlet.

Peter

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #6045861 - 08/25/13 08:08 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Another view.

Peter

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6045874 - 08/25/13 08:16 PM

AP says marine deep cycle batteries are a hybrid starter/ deep cycle battery, so they are damaged by real deep cycle use, so you have to use a pure deep cycle battery, as made for golf carts and personal mobility scooters.

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

Which battery are you referring to? I have used these batteries for G-11, MI-250 and AP900
Blueman

Edited by Starhawk (08/25/13 08:27 PM)

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

#6045958 - 08/25/13 08:57 PM

A-P did not really say NOT to use a Marine Deep Cycle batteries. This is a snippet from A-P document:

"Marine deep-cycle batteries are generally a hybrid design. They attempt to both provide the current to start a boat motor and the deep discharge capability for trolling motors or houseboat electrical systems. These are not as good a choice as true deep-cycle batteries, but are often much less expensive than true deep-cycle batteries. Note also that many batteries marketed as “marine deep-cycle” are actually hybrid designs that are really more for starting than deep discharge. If the battery advertises its cranking power (i.e. CCA or cold cranking amps), then it is a hybrid at best, regardless of what the label says. Marine deep-cycle batteries are suitable for powering your mount, but should not be discharged as deeply as true deep-cycle batteries."

I've had Wal-Mart Deep Cycle Marine battery (hybrid) to last at least 5 years without any issues. Deep Cycle Marine (hybrid) batteries are more than acceptable for astronomy use. They are easier to find and cheaper than true deep cycle marine batteries. You do NOT have to use true deep cycle to power astronomical devices.

Peter

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6045982 - 08/25/13 09:08 PM

Wade,

This was the kind of info I have wanted to find on battery power. The combination of a minnekota box and a UB-12350 would appear to be quite practical at around 30 lbs. I even found a place selling the batteries in pairs for $135 because a hoveround apparently needs two.

http://www.replaceupsbattery.com/Wheelchair-Batteries/Hoveround-Activa-Foreru...

As for the pyramid power supply, I was out at 106 F photographing Venus passing Mercury with my AP 130 EDFGT on the AP MAch1 GTO (after clearing with AP that level of heat was OK) at noon in Tucson the Friday before the transit of Venus and had finally gotten the two of them in the same frame. Then the Pyramid power supply decided it was too warm and up and quit on me until I could cool it down. The fiasco with crashing the OTA into the tube came up after this as a result of having to restart an observing technique which required going between the sun and Venus, and using an earlier version of Sky Safar which sent "Sync" when "Align" was pressed instead of RCAL.

So, my CGEM got to do the transit a couple days later. It never complained even when its far less impressive little power supply was toasted by direct sun on a 108F day.

So, the reason I mention this is this power supply question is a potential Achilles heel for AP mounts for some reason. There are moments when I do ask myself why a modified lantern is enough to power a CGEM all night while planning an outing with a Mach1 GTO is like setting up a National Geographic expedition.

-Rich

Quote:

Just after I got my AP1600, I bought two Pyramid 12 amp power supplies. I've switch all of my equipment - laptop, camera and everything - to 12 volts with no inverters. The power supply feeds a RigRunner for distribution and everything is connected with Anderson PowerPoles. The average current draw during a session is about 5 amps, and the peak draw has never exceeded 7.5 amps - well within the power supply's specs.

I was using the power supply a few weeks ago, when it started buzzing softly. At the same time, several of my pieces of gear either set off warning lights or shut down. I have an accurate current meter inline with the power supply, and it showed that the Pyramid unit had jumped to about 19.5 volts.

Fortunately, none of my gear was damaged, but I will never use a Pyramid power supply again. I could understand if it failed to a lower voltage, but it is completely unacceptable to fail to a much higher voltage than rated.

I've since replaced the Pyramid unit with one from PowerWerx. The PowerWerx unit is smaller and lighter, is rated for 30 amps, and runs very cool (it never seems to exceed ambient temperature, while both of the Pyramid units were quite hot to the touch in operation). The PowerWerx unit was more than triple the cost of the Pyramid power supply, but I've got nearly $20k of equipment set up and after watching the Pyramid unit fail (it's fortunate I was right there, because I run fully automated and typically unattended), I'm willing to pay for a better unit.

Regarding batteries, I've had a great experience with Universal Battery UB-12350's to power my mounts in the field. They are 35ah AGM batteries designed for wheelchairs. They're plenty for a mount and my are 6 years old and still going strong. For a fully battery powered field setup, I have two Universal UB-12750's that are 75ah AGMs. This is the first year that I've had them, so I don't have a long term report. I am hoping to have the same success that I've had with the smaller ones.

-Wade

Edited by Starhawk (08/25/13 09:11 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6046040 - 08/25/13 09:35 PM

Yep, that would be the paragraph in question.

And that would be a perfect example of my general problem with the "Read the manual" attitude. Yeah, you can read the manual. Does it tell you something useful? In this case, it means either you have to have more information from elsewhere, or you just overpay to do the same thing an equivalent would have done just fine at. While at the same time, it apparently has someone thinking they have the last word on being right, so, fixing the real problem doesn't happen.

Like I said, practical experience is what I wanted, so thank you for writing back. This is just the sort of thing which annoys me since the AP mounts are so solid and practical, but when some of these side issues come up, the given answers are ridiculous since you aren't given and indication of whether you're standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon or they're spun up about a crack in the sidewalk.

What I was really imagining was getting my act together so my Mach1 GTO could go out as easily as the CGEM does. That thing is far from perfect, but I've got a small enough footprint to take it somewhere and if needed load scope and all on a single dolly with everything I need for the mount and an evening's observing.

-Rich

Quote:

A-P did not really say NOT to use a Marine Deep Cycle batteries. This is a snippet from A-P document:

"Marine deep-cycle batteries are generally a hybrid design. They attempt to both provide the current to start a boat motor and the deep discharge capability for trolling motors or houseboat electrical systems. These are not as good a choice as true deep-cycle batteries, but are often much less expensive than true deep-cycle batteries. Note also that many batteries marketed as “marine deep-cycle” are actually hybrid designs that are really more for starting than deep discharge. If the battery advertises its cranking power (i.e. CCA or cold cranking amps), then it is a hybrid at best, regardless of what the label says. Marine deep-cycle batteries are suitable for powering your mount, but should not be discharged as deeply as true deep-cycle batteries."

I've had Wal-Mart Deep Cycle Marine battery (hybrid) to last at least 5 years without any issues. Deep Cycle Marine (hybrid) batteries are more than acceptable for astronomy use. They are easier to find and cheaper than true deep cycle marine batteries. You do NOT have to use true deep cycle to power astronomical devices.

Peter

Edited by Starhawk (08/25/13 09:37 PM)

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

#6046082 - 08/25/13 10:05 PM

In this case, it seems like the documentation from AP over complicates the issue.

Everything that is written in the paragraph above about hybrid versus true deep cycle batteries is completely true, according to reading I've done on the subject over the years.

The thing is, that the mount really doesn't care. It just wants a power source that can supply enough current to keep the voltage stable. My observation of the AP1600 is that it's really efficient. It's been a while since I measured it directly, but if I recall, it's under 0.5 amps at 12 volts while tracking. Even during 1200x slews, I've never seen it go over 2 amps. This is pretty similar to my CGE, or your CGEM.

I should say that I'm only running about 30lb of payload on it at the moment. I imagine that it would draw more during slews with a couple hundred pounds. But it balanced, I would think that it would still be quite efficient while tracking. And I have to believe that a Mach1 would be the same.

I can't think of any reason that a 17ah battery would be a problem for the mount. It could be a problem battery longevity, but that's just because those batteries tend to be designed for high current discharge for short periods of time (like needed for a jump start), rather than a slow and continuous discharge. And in any case, it's a good idea to plan your capacity such that you don't discharge to below 50% capacity. That will dramatically increase your battery longevity, even for true deep cycles.

-Wade

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

#6046092 - 08/25/13 10:08 PM

Well said Wade. That's exactly my thinking.

Peter

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6046199 - 08/25/13 11:37 PM

The other part I see in this is I have a limited number of trips I can do beyond AC range for imaging in any given year, so the whole questions definitely rings of the absurd while I have little kids who get dibs on my time.

And yes, the question of how to power an AP mount seems more extreme than it has any right to. The mount is practically airplane ready if you break it down and look at just he mount head. But there needs to be a pile of other gear waiting for you at the other end of the flight.

I suppose it's the missing pieces which are annoying- first rate mount, scabbed together home-made power supply. Kind of ridiculous, no?

-Rich

blueman
Photon Catcher

#6046306 - 08/26/13 01:27 AM

If you can hold the voltage to the minimum requirement for the mount without hurting the battery, then it should be fine.

Remember one thing. Increased voltages = decreased amps.
Decreased voltage = increased amps.

This is the real problem. If the voltage goes down the amps go up and that is not good.
Blueman

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6046666 - 08/26/13 10:08 AM

That's another voyage of discovery in the AP manual.

I remember power= current x voltage, and its evil counterpart, heating power = resistance of the load x current ^ 2

So, AP has these warnings about the smaller mounts getting flakey if the voltage is too high, while the bigger mounts apparently can tolerate this. I am guessing what is going on is the CP3 performance is partly based on the mechanical drag in the mount, so if the mount is small and low resistance, it's actually possible to overpower the mount.

So, battery discussion aside, it seems to sound like the mount itself would be really happy if it was powered by a car and was getting something around 14 volts. And, of course, there is a large array of gear made for converting automotive power to what every piece of gear you have needs.

The hoveround scooter batteries look pretty convenient at 25 lbs, and apparently can survive deep cycling. A minnekota box would have some extra space inside with one in there, and the 35 AH should be about 2x what's actually needed to get through a night.

So, I'll go ahead and touch the third rail and ask about charging...

-Rich

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

#6047607 - 08/26/13 08:01 PM

For a charger, I use a BatteryMINDer model 12448. It has specific settings for battery type and supports AGM (the proper type for the UB-12350 batteries). You can select between 2, 4 or 8 amps for the bulk charge. For small batteries like the 12350s, I typically use 2 amps, but sometimes use 4 amps if I am in a hurry. The charger will detect when the battery is fully charged and switch into float mode.

Here is a link.

I wanted to really understand my power usage, so I also purchased a couple of these power meters. You can use them inline between the power source and your gear to get a very accurate look at your power usage. Or, you can put them between your charger and battery if you want to get a very accurate look at the behavior and state of the battery.

I've switched to Anderson Powerpoles for all of my 12 volt connections. They are convenient, make a positive connection (much better than a cigarette lighter) and cannot be plugged in with reverse polarity. Each of my power meters has one on the source and load wires. Also, each of my device power cables has one.

To distribute power, I use RigRunners. The power source supplies one RigRunner at my work table, and I have a second one attached to the mount that powers each device on the mount. If I want to run with two power sources, I can have each RigRunner connected to it's own power source. Or, I ran run with one power source feeding the RigRunner at the table, and a power cord to connect the mount's RigRunner to one of the ports on the table's RigRunner.

I know that AP suggests giving the mount its own power supply, but to be honest, I usually don't bother. The mount's power needs are quite modest as compared to the laptop and camera. And with the power meters, I have confirmed that the current draw does not noticeably drop or spike the voltage - even with everything running, the mount slewing, and the CCD cooler at maximum.

Another benefit of using the power meters is that I was able to optimize the laptop for minimum power consumption over night. Setting the laptop's power management modes turns out to make a big difference - nearly an amp. Turning down the frame rate in TheSkyX Professional also makes a big difference on the current draw - about an amp. Shutting down unneeded services also saves some power, but not as much as the above. Also, I noted that the 12 volt SBIG power supply draws about an amp less than running the A/C power supply with an inverter (the inverter claimed to be 97% efficient...which turned out to be fantasy when I acutally measured it).

All told, I was able to drop my average current draw from nearly 10 amps, to about 5.5 amps. And when I dim the screen down to minimum, I often see it drawing less than 4 amps while doing automated image captures.

When you are running on battery in the field, minimizing current draw makes a huge difference on the demands you place on the battery.

I hope some of this is useful,
-Wade

urassner
sage

#6047819 - 08/26/13 10:13 PM

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and insights. I have decided to try a lithium iron phosphate battery. They are somewhat pricey at $260 for 12V 36 Ah, but we want to use it for some other stuff as well. The battery only weighs 5 lbs and should be able to be charged 1500-2000 times. It also does not have much voltage drop as it empties. I will built a little power tank, with 2 lighter sockets and 2 USB charging port (in case my IPad goes down and for other uses).
I will post some pictures when I have it together (if it works).

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6049624 - 08/27/13 08:33 PM

Well, if you're going to get an exotic battery, that would be the one to get, it looks like. Making sure it is usable for more everyday tasks in a power outage is definitely a good idea. Are you going to modify an existing battery box?

-Rich

urassner
sage

#6049940 - 08/28/13 12:37 AM

I looked at the battery boxes, but decided on a 16 inch Stanley toolbox, which is a little bit smaller and has two lid organizes in which I am planning to put a main power switch and resettable fuse switches, so that they do not get pressed accidentally. Depending on how much room there is in the lid organizer, I might put the lighter sockets in there as well.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6055106 - 08/30/13 09:11 PM

I was thinking extra room in the trolling motor boxes could be used to put some styrofoam insulation around the battery and maybe build the charger into the box with it.

-Rich

frobi6852

Reged: 07/11/11

#6057151 - 09/01/13 05:59 AM

Pyramid PS15KX 10A 13.8-Volt Power Supply $60.00 at Amazon

Chris.Baron
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/06

Loc: Oakville Ontario Canada
Re: Suggestions for power supply for AP 900 GTO new [Re: frobi6852]
      #6226975 - 12/01/13 12:41 PM

I know this is a late post to this thread, but I just took ownership of one of these beauties myself and was looking for power solutions. I only need to power the mount itself, yet given what it cost me, really wanted to make sure I didn't buy something cheap that could end up damaging the mount. I was also concerned about dew/frost as most of the power supplies out there state "do NOT expose to moisture"

THIS might work very nicely. You'd just need a spade to cigarette lighter adapter to plug in the mount.

The operating temp range is very wide (and it gets quite cold here so that too was a concern) and it's fully waterproof based on its typical marine usage.

I'm going to snag one. I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers,
Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1406

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics