Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Space_Girl1234

Reged: 03/06/11

Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope
      #6044212 - 08/24/13 08:50 PM

I am buying this scope...

http://www.optcorp.com/celestron-102mm-nexstar-gt-optical-tube-only.html

What mount would you recommend for this telescope with LOW PRICE being the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor to consider?

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scottk
sage

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Space_Girl1234]
      #6044353 - 08/24/13 10:35 PM

There's a "like new" motorized eq1 mount in the cloudynights classifieds right now. It would be wobbly with a scope that is so long, but if low cost is the number 1 priority, I've worked with less stability.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: scottk]
      #6044652 - 08/25/13 03:46 AM

Aren't you asking exactly this question on the Refractors forum? And getting lots of good suggestions.

It does not follow that because someone is dumping scopes at a very low price someone also has to sell mounts at a low price.

Essentially a mount to hold this scope will need to be reasonably sturdy and that costs money.

Chris

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6044682 - 08/25/13 05:01 AM

as Chris said above the thread you got going over in the Refractor forum has a ton of great suggestions.

I thank you though for posting this because i may pick one of these up at that price just to have for visual use on my CG-5. I've used a Celestron 102F F/9 refractor my club has on my mount before and it handled it wonderfully for visual use, this scope is pretty similar in size, length and probably weight as well.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6045084 - 08/25/13 12:12 PM

Quote:

Aren't you asking exactly this question on the Refractors forum? And getting lots of good suggestions.

Exactly. What's the point of doing this all over again? The low-cost options were exhaustively covered in her original thread. The answers will be NO different here Space_Girl1234.

KarlL
sage

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: Northern Illinois
      #6045246 - 08/25/13 01:52 PM

I just bought the same scope and need a mount. I am seriously considering a pipe mount on a surveyor's tripod. It should be very stable. There is a good article on such a mount in the articles section of this site: "How-to Make an Alt-az Pipe Mount", by Ging-Li Wang. Jim in the Refractors forum recommended this article. Although expensive, a surveyor's tripod will give much-needed stability. An unstable mount makes using a telescope miserable.

Regards,

Karl

Edited by KarlL (08/25/13 01:53 PM)

ziggarut69

Reged: 07/17/13

#6045257 - 08/25/13 01:57 PM

Space_Girl1234, I think it would clear things up if you could let everyone know exactly how much money you were willing to spend on a mount. just how LOW COST is LOW COST?. If you mean less than the cost of the telescope I think short of possibly making your own, you will be out of luck.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6045415 - 08/25/13 03:37 PM

Hi Space_Gir1234,

This problem of how to mount an inexpensive telescope capable of high magnification is what led to the development of the "department store telescope" bundled with an inadequate low cost mount we are all warned to avoid.

Gale

Space_Girl1234

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: ziggarut69]
      #6045417 - 08/25/13 03:39 PM

I am asking here in the mounts section because no one has yet provided a satisfactory answer for a LOW COST mount that can be purchased today from a retailer. The earlier answers of buy a dob or build a homemade mount while appreciated are not the info I am looking for.

Hopefully someone will offer a source since many buyers are looking for one just like I am.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6045450 - 08/25/13 04:04 PM

Let's apply some logic to this.

Suppose there is a mount for $100.
Now suppose there is another mount for $50. LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor so that one is preferable.
Now suppose there is one available for $25. That's less than $50 so it's preferable. After all LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor.
We can continue this indefinitely until we get to the point where the $0 mount becomes preferable to the $1 mount, after all LOW PRICE is the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor.

So the logical conclusion is not to get a mount at all. Hand hold the scope. That is the lowest cost.

This is, of course, ridiculous. It will be totally impractical to hand hold this scope. But it makes a point. Low cost cannot be the only consideration. performance is also a consideration, particularly stability.

People need to know what your other, unstated needs are.

In any case even the simplest mount will probably cost more than the mount, and the options have already been suggested.

Chris

scottk
sage

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Tennessee
      #6045598 - 08/25/13 05:45 PM

Like zigg suggested, stating what you mean by "low cost" would be helpful to those trying to answer your question.

As far as telescope mounts go, 200 or 300 dollars is considered very low cost by most standards, but there are mounts out there that, while not very quality based, can be had for less.

How many dollars are you looking to spend? How much money is "low cost"?

christheman200
sage

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: scottk]
      #6045760 - 08/25/13 07:05 PM

If you really don't want to spend any money, which is what it seems like so far, then just put it on a tripod. Find a way to bolt it onto the tripod and you have a working telescope and mount. Right now as I'm waiting for a mount (for free! worth around $400 normally) for my AR102 I'm putting it on a tripod. It has cost absolutely nothing as I already had the tripod. I think you have the mentality that there has to be something good out there for a really low price, but you simply won't find one new. If you look for a used mount you could find one but the chances are very low. If you have a local club, ask everyone if they have an old mount you can have. You will get one. The membership would cost less than the mount.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6045973 - 08/25/13 09:02 PM

Quote:

I am asking here in the mounts section because no one has yet provided a satisfactory answer for a LOW COST mount that can be purchased today from a retailer. The earlier answers of buy a dob or build a homemade mount while appreciated are not the info I am looking for.

Hopefully someone will offer a source since many buyers are looking for one just like I am.

No one has supplied a "satisfactory answer"? Um, I hate to be blunt, but the answers you received to this query in the refractors forum are all that there is. There are simply no more low cost mounts that can be suggested to you. They've all been covered. You may not like the answers you received, but they are what they are. You're not going to buy a mount for the same price you paid for the C102 unless you a) luck out on a used Craigslist find, b) simply buy a cheap camera tripod, or c) build your own pipe mount.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6045983 - 08/25/13 09:08 PM

Quote:

What mount would you recommend for this telescope with LOW PRICE being the NUMBER ONE overwhelming factor to consider?

Nail it to a tree stump.

If you want a different answer, you might think about loosening up the criteria a tad.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6045992 - 08/25/13 09:12 PM

Or get more specific about the criteria. We still don't know what "LOW PRICE" means.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: christheman200]
      #6045997 - 08/25/13 09:14 PM

You are getting the telescope for such a good price because the manufacturer has a surplus of them and has decided to put them on clearance sale, probably at below cost. That does not mean someone has to sell the mount and other accessories at below cost just to make the total system cost low.

Probably the reason you do not see many low cost but good mounts able to handle a 4" f/10 refractor is the costs involved to build them compared to the number of people likely to buy them. The companies would have to sell huge numbers of mounts each year if they had to sell them at low prices with low profit margins. And because the general public's overwhelming number one priority is cost, they will accept undersized mounts - so why offer anything else?

Gale

Edited by gdd (08/25/13 09:15 PM)

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: gdd]
      #6046009 - 08/25/13 09:19 PM

This has all been covered over in the refractors forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6025227/page...

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: dpippel]
      #6046046 - 08/25/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

This has all been covered over in the refractors forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6025227/page...

Yes, I know. This thread is the Reader's Digest version.

Gale

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: dpippel]
      #6046048 - 08/25/13 09:42 PM

Here you go Spacegirl, this is in line with what you want. It is twice the price of your scope but that's still a bargain when it comes down to a mount.
http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Altazimuth-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-AZ-4-...

By the way, do you realize the scope you are buying does not come with a diagonal or an eyepiece? Both of those will probably cost more than the scope as well.

Edited by rigel123 (08/25/13 09:45 PM)

christheman200
sage

Reged: 06/12/13

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: rigel123]
      #6046129 - 08/25/13 10:31 PM

Please provide us with what you are willing to spend.
I'm sorry, but until you do I will assume you are an internet troll.
You keep repeating the same thing and won't give us any feedback. Yes this assumption is harsh, but it needs to be said (IMO).
Well, I guess I don't really think you're a troll, but you are acting like one.

Edited by christheman200 (08/25/13 10:44 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1708

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics