Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
cirrus1500

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: California
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Brent Campbell]
      #6062655 - 09/04/13 01:07 PM

That will be the best deal you will ever find. Just like the 102GT you bought, CG5 at $100 is a non low cost mount at low cost

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cirrus1500]
      #6062684 - 09/04/13 01:23 PM

The $59 telescope you got is a wonderful bargain. You will be able to experience high quality views that are usually reserved for much more expensive telescopes. It's also something you can keep for a long time and grow with. I wish I had a telesope of that quality when I was young.

Start with a used CG4 or equivalent(the used CG5 deal for $100) and upgrade when the time, money aand opprtunity comes.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: cirrus1500]
      #6062745 - 09/04/13 01:58 PM

I too tried to go the budget route when I started out. I read a little bit (too little in fact) and ended up buying a Nexstar 130SLT. Even for $450 that thing was so shaky and had such a poorly made focuser that all I wanted to do was kick it off of my porch. I had to collimate it every time I moved it, and the gotos were never quite right. I struggled with it for months. I was really frustrated and not having much fun.

I realized pretty quickly that to meet my expectations I would have to spend more money. So, to do things right, I went back to reading and asking a lot of questions. The answers were not always what I wanted to hear, but they taught me a lot. This went on for a good 3-4 months before I finally had a clear idea of what I would need... and how much I would need to spend to get it.

In the end my $450 ended up being almost $4,000 for a Celestron Edge 11 on a CGEM and a few high-quality eyepieces. NOW I am getting the stable, deep views that I was after! I cannot get enough of using my telescope!

And eventually I want to do astrophotography, and I know even the mount I have now won't completely meet my goals and I will need to buy a better mount.. and a CCD camera, reducer, filters, guider, software and even a second scope for wider field imaging. This is what the hobby is.

Yes, astronomy doesn't have to be for the rich person. You don't HAVE to spend what I and many people choose to. But there are physical limits and realities to this hobby that can only be overcome by spending money on high quality equipment. You just have to adjust your expectations accordingly and that comes through experience.

There is a massive wealth of experience for you to learn from on Cloudy Nights, just as I have. You can choose to accept the advice given you or not. But one way or another you will learn that these folks are correct in what they're telling you.

pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: WesC]
      #6063020 - 09/04/13 04:44 PM

I agree with others who recommend finding a used CG5 mount. It'd be a nice, sturdy, relatively simple mount that would hold that scope with ease. The one another poster mentioned he might let go for $100 would be a good deal. I purchased one of those scopes, too, and I currently have mine mounted on an old CG5 I had and it works great. I'm eventually going to build a Dob style mount for it, for the ultimate ease of use, but it works just fine on the CG5 now.

Note that the CG5s that I know of, shipped with an 11lb counterweight, which I know from experience is too much for a scope that light, so you might need to rig up some sort of lighter counterweight for the mount. I'm currently using a 5lb weightlifting type weight that's secured from falling off the counterweight shaft with one of the things you use to keep the weights from falling off on a barbell.

If you've go this route and have any further questions about this type of mount or anything else, the people on here really are very helpful, or you can feel free to send a private message my way. Just a quick note about being a beginner and most everyone who might be otherwise will lighten up.

Good luck with the new scope! I know when I was young and starting out in astronomy, I'd have killed for a scope that good. haha

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: pogobbler]
      #6067141 - 09/07/13 01:04 AM

Well, no word from Space Girl so I guess she bailed on the astronomy project! I guess I'm going to keep the CG5 as the tripod alone was worth the $100 to me! I just wish they still sold the tracking motor kits for it.

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Recommended LOW COST mount for this telescope new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6067158 - 09/07/13 01:25 AM

Wmacky, you can use the Orion Sky View Pro dual-axis motors, or any of the innumerable clones on fleabay, or the "DK-3" dual-axis drive. All of which cost over $100.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1714

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics