Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: 29N
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: orion69]
      #6051200 - 08/28/13 06:13 PM

orion69, here's my guiding graph. The MX is tracking as we speak:

This is with a OAG. I don't have PEC trained nor am I using ProTrack.

Edited by saadabbasi (08/28/13 06:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: saadabbasi]
      #6051213 - 08/28/13 06:20 PM

That was fast, thank you!

What FL is that and what exposure?

Edited by orion69 (08/28/13 06:22 PM)

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

#6051242 - 08/28/13 06:33 PM

Just 450mm, Knez at an image scale of 2.47"/pixel. Guider exposures are 5s and my imager's subs are 30 minutes.

Here is a 15 minute sub unguided, no PEC and no ProTrack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76983650/15min.jpg

Bill Dean

Reged: 09/05/05

Loc: Encinitas, CA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: psandelle]
      #6051251 - 08/28/13 06:36 PM

Hi Paul,

Half an hour is about right. I use the polar alignment scope and it can speed up the process a bit if it's good and dark but the automated routine works well enough before it gets good and dark that I would probably skip the polar scope, it really isn't necessary.

Clear skies,
Bill

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
      #6051272 - 08/28/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

Just 450mm, Knez at an image scale of 2.47"/pixel. Guider exposures are 5s and my imager's subs are 30 minutes.

Here is a 15 minute sub unguided, no PEC and no ProTrack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76983650/15min.jpg

Thanks, Saad!

That is impressive 15 min unguided sub!
Do you notice any difference in quality of guiding near equator vs closer to Polaris?
I wander how would PMX perform with 150mm refractor, around 18-19kg total weight, FL 750-1000mm ...

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

#6051275 - 08/28/13 06:48 PM

orion69, I don't really have enough experience with the MX to tell you if there is any significant difference between guiding at the equator vs near the pole but if I had to guess, no I don't think there's significant difference.

I think the PMX would handle that refractor but I've never even seen a 150mm refractor so I can't imagine the size that well. 1000mm FL should be no problem.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
      #6051419 - 08/28/13 08:06 PM

This was the mount I was all set to buy 6 months ago having saved up for it over the previous year, but I saw the 10 Micron GM 1000 HPS at the dealers and fell in love at first sight. Really hope the MX I abandoned ended up with a caring owner. Sadly I'll now never know what I've missed out on.

jarin
sage

Reged: 10/03/09

Loc: Northern VA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Tonk]
      #6051483 - 08/28/13 08:52 PM

I mostly use an ES127CF with my MX (I also use an AT8RC and a 480mm triplet), and I use PHD. My graphs are smooth and around 0.17RMS with the ES127 @952mm FL.

I just shot this two nights ago:

http://www.silvren.com/astrophotography/08-24-2013/ngc7000-0.jpg

Jeff

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: jarin]
      #6052329 - 08/29/13 11:15 AM

The mount arrived yesterday around 7 PM with a THUD. That was the sound of the UPS guy chucking the mount off the back of the truck from a height of about 5 feet. He was surprised to see me standing there when he turned around, so the tripod and accessories got unloaded more carefully, but man, he had to throw my MX off the back of the truck? He didn't get a tip. I then learned that he didn't think there was anything particularly valuable in the box, because no signature was required. Yup, they were going to throw it up onto my porch and leave if I wasn't there.

OK, the unpleasant part is over, so let's get on with the good stuff. I took lots of photos of the boxes during unpacking in case there was damage, but it appears that the mount didn't suffer any external damage. I do hope there's nothing internal that's out of whack, but only time will tell. Two pictures for you: the assembled mount, and the C11 Edge riding on it for the first time.

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #6052334 - 08/29/13 11:17 AM

One additional thing: I discovered that The SkyX doesn't have drivers for my Atik 383L+ camera. They support SBIG and Orion, but not Atik. I wonder if anyone else here has gotten an Atik camera to work with their MX through ASCOM? I suppose I should just ask over on the Bisque forum, but doesn't hurt to mention it here too.

jarin
sage

#6052369 - 08/29/13 11:30 AM

You have the Versa-Plate/saddle pointing backwards by the way. :-) Knobs should be on the left.

See: http://www.silvren.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/two1.jpg

Jeff

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

#6052405 - 08/29/13 11:58 AM

Thanks- I will fix that before trying to operate the mount!
I actually loaded the 'scope on there just as the mount came out of the box, so this has me a bit puzzled! The instructions state to lock the axes before removing the mount from the box, so they shipped it in this orientation.

Bill Dean

Reged: 09/05/05

Loc: Encinitas, CA
      #6052431 - 08/29/13 12:13 PM

That's the correct orientation for the packaging when shipping but you need to rotate the DEC axis per the manual for use. You can't home the mount like you have it set up.

Clear skies,
Bill

Quote:

Thanks- I will fix that before trying to operate the mount!
I actually loaded the 'scope on there just as the mount came out of the box, so this has me a bit puzzled! The instructions state to lock the axes before removing the mount from the box, so they shipped it in this orientation.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: Bill Dean]
      #6052449 - 08/29/13 12:21 PM

That thing just dwarfs the Edge 11! Wow.

jarin
sage

Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: WesC]
      #6052466 - 08/29/13 12:33 PM

Ron - yea, that's how it's shipped, and how it's stored, if you bought the storage case. But you rotate DEC 180 degrees to operate. You'll figure it out. And the 3-way knobs are great, just make sure you always *lock* the 3-way knobs when loading/unloading the mount. IE: don't engage the gears until you're fully balanced, less stress on the gears that way over the long-term. You'll figure it out. Wait until you fire it up and hear the warbles and whistles the mount does (which are perfectly normal) when you're finally out and tracking.

Jeff

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

#6052476 - 08/29/13 12:36 PM

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I also loaded the 'scope backwards onto my CGEM when I first got it. This is what I get for working on assembling things until 2 AM.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6052516 - 08/29/13 01:01 PM

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing on my CGEM until I looked for the index mark and realized I had it 180-degrees around. Being a right-handed person it seemed to make sense having the handles on the right side of the axis.

Evidently that's not how it is.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: WesC]
      #6052532 - 08/29/13 01:10 PM

Now that UPS has possibly thrown your new MX out of whack, you may need to make some adjustments. Worm adjustments and the like. Just don't be surprised if you end up needing to do that. It's not a big deal.

In your picture it looks like the Versaplate is in the most rearward position. If that is the case, then you should move it to the most forward position.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #6052662 - 08/29/13 02:20 PM

Question for Paramount owners, can you phone Bisque with sales or support issues? I have heard that they don't have any phone support for anything.
Also, have any of you tried to price or buy spare parts for your mounts ( such as motors, main boards, limit switchs etc.) and how can you do that without phone support?
Rex

Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Re: Paramount MX on its way new [Re: frolinmod]
      #6052664 - 08/29/13 02:20 PM

I had to slide the optical tube pretty far forward to achieve balance with the camera attached, so I think that the plate position quite likely needs to be adjusted. However, it's mounted backwards right now, so let's see how it looks once I reverse it. I think I will be checking out of work early this afternoon. **cough**cough**

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1834

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics