Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Time for a mount upgrade (3 to 4 months) new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6055565 - 08/31/13 05:59 AM

Hilmi, yes, it has dual absolute encoders. US price is greater than the Mach1, it has the same payload, and weighs more. But for you, being in Oman, you don't pay 19% MwST - same as US - and the shipping should be less. So it is probably cheaper than a Mach1 for you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Time for a mount upgrade (3 to 4 months) new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6055995 - 08/31/13 12:43 PM

The encoders were a major attraction. It seems this is where the future of imaging mounts is headed. I also read that it handles changes in payload very well. Such changes do not corrupt the sky model. This is good since my camera is heavy enough to cause a shift in balance as I focus. I know this shouldn't count, but it looks pretty too.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #6056083 - 08/31/13 01:31 PM

Hi Hilmi:

Seems to me you have have fought the good fight with your G11. I am unsure if I will ever really know why I had so much trouble with mine and I remain unsure too that it was really the mount's fault. I am pretty sure it was NOT the fault of Gemini 2. I came to love Gemini 2!

I just this past week sent my 50% deposit off to A-P for the 1100. I can taste it's getting close now!

There were moments over the past several months when I regretted not getting a Mach 1. I could have had one off-the-shelf from A-P as late as late this March. I decided against it as I wanted the extra reassurance of the increased capacity of the 1100.

Then I dumped my AT8 (never used!) in favour of an AT10.
Then a 60lb 6" refractor and STL camera.

The 1100's capacity allowed me to do this. The Mach 1, debatably perhaps, would have been marginal.

It's been a long wait. I've lost an entire summer season and still have some waiting to do. But I'm glad I forwent the Mach 1 in favour of the 1100. The option of the encoders remains open too but they are so fiercely expensive, I doubt I will ever upgrade to them.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Edited by dawziecat (08/31/13 01:33 PM)

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Time for a mount upgrade (3 to 4 months) new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6056269 - 08/31/13 03:04 PM

You see after so much struggle I came to the conclusion there is nothing wrong with the G11 other than the fact that it isn't well suited for the focal length I work at. Basically it will do very long focal lengths if you are mechanically inclined and have the time to tune it. But for out of the box performance I would never recommend it for higher than 1000 mm. As long as you stick to those focal lengths. It's a beauty to work with.

I had to make a choice. Dump the scope or dump the mount. I picked the mount since I like longer focal lengths.

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
      #6057086 - 09/01/13 04:19 AM

I'd say a GM2000HPS is a strong candidate if you want some payload capacity...

/er

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Time for a mount upgrade (3 to 4 months) new [Re: Per Frejvall]
      #6063759 - 09/05/13 03:32 AM

Im considering sending the G11 to Ed Thomas for Hypertune to make it easier to sell while it is still there.I dont know if he will agree to this so I am waiting for his response. There is almost no existing market for second hand mounts here in the middle east. I figure Ed can work out the bugs and get it to work properly then I will be able to get a more agreeable price for the mount allowing me to better fund the new mount.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6063780 - 09/05/13 04:17 AM

Well you do need to pay for shipping to Ed....... but then you'd need to pay for shipping to whoever buys it anyway.

G11's don't really resell very well, though. Good luck.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Time for a mount upgrade (3 to 4 months) new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6063781 - 09/05/13 04:24 AM

I will need to pay for shipping, but I might find a way to cut that cost. One of the ways to do that is to find somebody traveling to US with minimal luggage. Trans Atlantic flights usually have restrictions on the number of bags not on total weight.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1052

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics