Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: CGEM vs CGEM-DX new [Re: stanislas-jean]
      #6054566 - 08/30/13 02:47 PM

The CGEM has the same gears, as well as same servos, same bearings,and same castings as the DX. It is reported to have the same mc chip now. The differences are the tripod, counterweight shaft, clutch levers, and mc chip.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: CGEM vs CGEM-DX new [Re: Stew57]
      #6055754 - 08/31/13 10:07 AM

You all are a wealth of information,
I think thru searching the mounts available and companies that back them up, The CGEM and CGEM DX are the best bang for the buck for weight capacity and performance. There are some glitches but for the price, stability and weight capacity I just don't see anything close.. I also realize that wil lnot be doing Hubble grade photos with 15 minute exposures.. It seems that they are trying to address the issues as they can (the beta up-grade),,, will keep watching and listening and LEARNING,, Kasey

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGEM vs CGEM-DX new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6056178 - 08/31/13 02:15 PM

Quote:

...The CGEM and CGEM DX are the best bang for the buck for weight capacity and performance...

I have to agree. I recently posted this image to the Binoviewer forum, but it's appropriate here, as well.
There's over 50lbs of gear atop my CGEM DX and it doesn't appear to even realize it's there. Tracking is quite smooth.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6056258 - 08/31/13 02:55 PM

Quote:

The CGEM has the same gears, as well as same servos, same bearings,and same castings as the DX. It is reported to have the same mc chip now. The differences are the tripod, counterweight shaft, clutch levers, and mc chip.

What do you mean by "mc chip" and who told you that? Motor control board, firmware, or what?

Edited by rmollise (08/31/13 02:56 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: CGEM vs CGEM-DX new [Re: rmollise]
      #6056406 - 08/31/13 05:04 PM

I asked someone at celestron about the control board. They said they were planning on putting the same control chip on both boards as the old chip would be discontined when supplies ran out. He also said that he would not be suprised if the boards ended up the same eventually. He stated the purpose of the updated chip was to allow the servo to pull more current without chip burnout.

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #6056430 - 08/31/13 05:16 PM

This seems to be a question that just never goes away.
The below quote is from the Celestron Support page for the CGEM mount. Notice the article number, and date:

Support Center » Knowledgebase » What are the differences between the CGEM and CGEM DX mounts?

What are the differences between the CGEM and CGEM DX mounts?

The CGEM DX mount differs from the CGEM:

1) The CGEM DX has a 1-1/4” counterweight shaft versus ¾” and correspondingly bigger counterweights.

2) The CGEM DX has a heavier, bigger tripod. It uses the same tripod as the CGE Pro.

3) The CGEM DX has an adapter bell to hold heavier payloads on the tripod.

The two mounts use the same motors, motor boards and the same gear box.

Article ID: 2623
Created On: Oct 22 2012 02:30 PM

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: CGEM vs CGEM-DX new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #6056458 - 08/31/13 05:50 PM

Why the CGEM and CGEM DX both exist is one of those bizarre concepts of price points the marketers invent. The idea is to get $500 more from you.

In this case, I've been using a CGEM with about 27 lbs of scope, and it's as stable in the stock tripod as a granite block. So, if the CGEM tripod is a weak link, I can name a half dozen pieces of equipment I wish were that good a weak link.

The real question here is what value you got. I see several non problems the DX had added mass to play with

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1097

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics