Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6054778 - 08/30/13 05:05 PM

Has anyone tried those inexpensive 12v lithium batteries from eBay? I have one that is 3800mAH, cost $30 shipped, and is about the size of and weighs about as much as a deck of cards.

I was originally not planning on using it with a mount, though I have tried it on my new Vixen GP2 with DD3 (not goto). It worked fine for 2.5 hours until I gave out at 3am. I have no idea how much longer it would work as I have only one use with it so far.

There are other models around 6800, 9600, 15000, and 20000 mAH, and all are quite light compared to SLA batteries.

Any other experiences?

Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cameron12x
sage

Reged: 11/10/10

Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: frito]
      #6100472 - 09/25/13 02:01 PM

Quote:

I power my CG-5, Netbook and Camera with this pack

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-jump-start-and-power-supply-38391.html?c...

if you have a harbor freight tools in your area snag it while its on sale for 50 bucks.

mine will run my mount only all night long (6+ hours easily) or it will run my mount + camera + netbook for about 3 hours, if i'm smart i'll disconnect my netbook and run off its battery after 2 hours and when doing this i have managed 6 hours of imaging time on this battery pack! even then its still not dead, its just my camera's power adapter will drop below "acceptable" voltage for my camera and it shuts down. one time a month ago while doing an overnight imaging camp out i hit the sac at 3:30 am and my camera and netbook died around 4:00-4:15 AM or something but the mount was still on and tracking when i woke up at 7 AM

I decided to give this solution a shot. It was on sale for $39.95 so with tax and shipping I'm paying $50. Not bad. I should have it in a few days.

Thanks for everyone for your input... much appreciated!

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: cameron12x]
      #6100491 - 09/25/13 02:10 PM

am curious, how do you tie into 3 things at once with one 12v plug in (cigarette lighter) source? mount, camera, notebook? thank you,
Kasey

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: skullpin]
      #6100547 - 09/25/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried those inexpensive 12v lithium batteries from eBay? I have one that is 3800mAH, cost $30 shipped, and is about the size of and weighs about as much as a deck of cards.

I was originally not planning on using it with a mount, though I have tried it on my new Vixen GP2 with DD3 (not goto). It worked fine for 2.5 hours until I gave out at 3am. I have no idea how much longer it would work as I have only one use with it so far.

There are other models around 6800, 9600, 15000, and 20000 mAH, and all are quite light compared to SLA batteries.

Any other experiences?

Keith

If it works for you, cool. But < 4ah won't run the mount long, and 30 bucks is pretty steep when you can trot to Harbor Freight or Pepboys and get a 17ah jumpstarter with a charger for about twice that.

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6100684 - 09/25/13 03:35 PM

If lead-acid batteries are considered, choose an AGM one. A normal car battery will be damaged when drawn below around 11.5 volts, a "leisure" battery will be somewhat more tolerant, a lead-acid gel battery even better and an AGM one can basically be shorted to zero with no damage. They're a bit more expensive but well worth the extra money.

/per

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: Per Frejvall]
      #6100775 - 09/25/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

If lead-acid batteries are considered, choose an AGM one. A normal car battery will be damaged when drawn below around 11.5 volts, a "leisure" battery will be somewhat more tolerant, a lead-acid gel battery even better and an AGM one can basically be shorted to zero with no damage. They're a bit more expensive but well worth the extra money.

/per

That's not what I am suggesting. I am suggesting the ubiquitous jump start battery pack. The one I use with my NexStar 11 (a "Prestone" from cotton-picking Walmart) is still going strong despite me having purchased it at the same time as the scope in 2002.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6100912 - 09/25/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

am curious, how do you tie into 3 things at once with one 12v plug in (cigarette lighter) source? mount, camera, notebook? thank you, Kasey

Kasey,

Just search on "12v splitter" ... here's one example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-P...

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6101244 - 09/25/13 08:36 PM

Thank you Mr. Mark,
Once again the encyclopedia of astro stuff to the rescue ,,,, I wonder how reliable they are?? Thats really slick if the source will carry the load of 3 @ 12V draw and what ever amperage? Thank you again,
Kasey

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Powering the CG-5 ASGT in the field? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6101594 - 09/26/13 12:43 AM

Kasey,

They're generally not bad and they are certainly cheap and popular. Cigarette style plugs and outlets are not the ultimate in reliability, custom wiring with Anderson powerpoles and similar products are certainly better. In some cases the cigarette style connectors can be pretty bad (when they're in bad condition bumping them and you get an intermittent connection) ... but if all the springs and connectors are intact and you're not tossing stuff around or tugging on the cables and such around you shouldn't have problems.

They have big flat surfaces for electrical connections so they can handle reasonable amperage loads (a few amps per connector is typical). I've run 4-5 amps into one of these splitter units on a regular basis with no problems. Many of the splitters have a 10 or 20amp automotive style fuse in them (a good thing), and the plugs on many devices or cables have cartridge style 2/5/10amp fuses in the tips. The reason for the fuses is to reduce the chance of serious heat and flame in the event of a short in a cable ... beyond that they don't do much.

I like to always make sure the connector going back to the battery is in good condition (it's the one carrying the most amperage), ensuring nothing is broken and the connections are clean. Getting debris and moisture in the sockets is probably the biggest problem so if you use one of these splitters outdoors I would keep it in something like a heavy ziplock style bag to keep dew off of it. I find it also helps if you give the connectors a slight twist as they are being inserted, this seems to keep keep any debris or corrosion that has gotten into the socket from getting in the way.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 899

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics