Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: schluterdude]
      #6065730 - 09/06/13 08:29 AM

Yes, one of my friends ask me what she should buy her boyfriend as a present, i suggested that he should take up astronomy, she thought it was a great idea, so she went out and bought him an AVX mount and C8 as a present, lucky guy..

But... he didn't like it because, he only wanted to look at the stars from his balcony, he lives in the worst light polluted places on earth, right next to a steel works in the Netherlands, he didn't want to travel out to friesland, or the dutch islands to get out of the light pollution, and, the balcony was not sturdy, so it vibrated and shakes every time a car drove past in the street, or when he walked about on the balcony, hence knocking it out of alignment. Because of the light pollution, he found it too difficult to align, you are lucky if you can even see vega. He didn't understand what a complex piece of scientific equipment it is, and that you have to really travel with it, and make an effort to use the thing properly

Now he has taken it back to the store to get a refund, the ungrateful muppet... I think she should dump him, take the scope off him, and date me instead lol.

Moral of the story, (which is true btw), the mount is only as good as the effort you put into aligning it.

My AVX has been fantastic so far, but the accuracy is only determined on how accurate you are in aligning it. Can't stress enough how important it is to centre those stars perfectly. I have yet to buy a reticle eyepiece, it is on my shopping list..

I do have the Skysync GPS, and that is a really useful thing to have, it improves the accuracy and saves a lot of time.

So Reticle Eyepiece, Skysync GPS, 2 star + 4 Calib stars and the ASPA routine should be good every time.

The thing is, if you read too much into the forums about the AVX.. you will see too many negative comments, as people only tend to post when things go wrong. You don't hear about the many thousands of people who have this mount and it works brilliantly. So don't read too much into the negative stuff.

It takes time and practice to get a mount to be accurate, don't expect to get it 100% on the first few goes, it is only as good as you are with it.

Practice Practice and Practice is all i can say

Best Regards

Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
      #6066298 - 09/06/13 02:49 PM

This is a description of the problems I am having with a new C9.25/AVX.

First: I take time to balance the scope. I precisely follow the process in the manual. The appropriate clutches were released and engaged again as directed. I do a stationary balance first then push on the scope in both directions to see if it moves more easily and farther in either direction. I do this for both axes and several times. My C8 is much more sensitive to being out of balance. I have had it for 20 years, I know my way around the sky and I know what objects I'm looking at. The only time I manually move the scope is to align the index marks with the power off. I use a high quality 15 Amp power supply and I checked the voltage while running the scope. It's fine. I verified my location, local time, time zone, DST and offset from GMT are correct. I have done 2 factory resets. I do not have any accessories.

Second: The scope is level. I have done a visual polar alignment by putting the tripod down pointing roughly north, or looked through the bore hole, or used a polar scope. I have done all variations/combinations of these methods. As expected, there is no difference in how the scope behaves.

Third: I can use the HC to move the scope in all 4 directions very smoothly. Then it stops responding to the right arrow button. I can push it multiple times or hold it down. After 1-3 seconds it suddenly slews at high speed in that direction like I had done a GOTO. The slews used to be smaller but now many of the slews take the object out of the FOV. Then it will respond normally again. This happens intermittently several times a minute while observing any one star. I follow the up and right recommendation.

Fourth: I have used the scope about a dozen times and every night this exact problem happens several times and always to the right.

Fifth: Each night I have verified several times during a session that the balance doesnt need to be adjusted.

Sixth: I have done the balance and alignment by myself, with my son, and him alone. He also sees all of these exact same problems.

Seventh: The one motor has the same nice constant hum one expects from a high quality motor. The other motor has never sounded like that. The pitch of the sound goes up and down as if it were experiencing a significantly variable load. The last time I used it the motor was moving slower and slower. It was like I was running it off of a battery that was running out of charge but I always use my power supply.

I have done all of these steps several times each night. If there is a user error that explains all of these problems, then I want to hear it. The people at Orion are very nice and immediately ordered a replacement scope and I don't want to repeat it again on the new one.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6066333 - 09/06/13 03:04 PM

Quote:

I can use the HC to move the scope in all 4 directions very smoothly. Then it stops responding to the right arrow button. I can push it multiple times or hold it down. After 1-3 seconds it suddenly slews at high speed in that direction like I had done a GOTO.

That's a symptom of an encoder problem.

Quote:

The one motor has the same nice constant hum one expects from a high quality motor. The other motor has never sounded like that. The pitch of the sound goes up and down as if it were experiencing a significantly variable load.

That's a symptom of an encoder problem.

It is not user error. It's an encoder problem.

Susan H

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6070706 - 09/09/13 05:31 AM

Hi John, I know very little about encoders, my knowledge wouldn't fill a thimble. If it is an encoder problem, is it within the mount itself or the HC? I'm experiencing similar issues. But, I'm going to try a few things before I go back to where I purchased my AVX from. I want to insure it's not operator error. I'm going to do a 2 + 4 alignment and see how that does. If we have to do those kinds of alignments, then why are 1, 2, and 3 star alignments offered? I also make sure I have balanced my mount, done a very good polar alignment, and that it's level. I hate to think that I have to return this mount for a second time. First time the place where power is plugged in was bad. I'm hoping its the HC and that can be easily replaced. And I don't want to purchase a different mount all together.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6070948 - 09/09/13 10:09 AM

UP.....
Quote:

Some questions now:
1) What could be reason i had to correct frequently on DEC? ASPA inaccurate?
2) My Firmware versions are: HC: 5.22.3141 MC: 7.08.3071, should i upgrade something?
3) On Aligning and GOTOing, there's a feature that after pointing a star west to meridian, on going to a second star at east of meridian, i can avoid that the mount twists on itself, and goes to second star passing in front the meridian, doing "less road"? (my english is bad, i know)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6071016 - 09/09/13 10:51 AM

Hey Susan,
Wish I could help but please keep us up to date on how things work out or what the problem was,,, Thank you and good luck,
Kasey

Dr.Don

#6071677 - 09/09/13 04:55 PM

I guess I haven't explained the problem clearly enough. This is not about a precise goto problem. Its that it sometimes fails to respond to the HC right arrow button. By "fails to respond" I mean that it won't move at all (I really mean not at all) despite repeated pushing of the button or holding it down. Then it will suddenly slew so fast I can't even see the object move out of my FOV. One time it slewed so fast the finder hit me.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
      #6073890 - 09/10/13 08:34 PM

Return it.

moongold

Reged: 09/16/10

Loc: East Pa.
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6073970 - 09/10/13 09:29 PM

Same "problem" as DR. Don....slews fine on 3 buttons but the right direction button was like a slew speed 1 when it was set on 6. New to EQ so I thought it was me.

I noticed the more east the scope was pointing the worse the response was.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: moongold]
      #6074365 - 09/11/13 03:33 AM

It might be a HC button problem, I've fixed a problem where a button didn't work unless you pressed it really hard. Also if you press an arrow button, then press the one on the other side the slew rate goes to full speed. That's a feature.

If the scope is aligned and tracking it's unlikely to be an encoder problem because the left/right movement is in the Ra direction and the mount will not track if the encoders aren't working.

Try doing a quick align and finding the Show position display. When tracking the Ra and Dec should not be changing. When moving the appropriate position should be changing. Also try the axis position, if the position isn't changing when the scope is moving then it might be an encoder problem.

If you don't feel like debugging the mount contact your dealer and get them to sort it out. That's what they are there for.

Chris

Dr.Don

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6074906 - 09/11/13 11:31 AM

I sincerely appreciate everyones' advice and suggestions. I have decided the mount is defective, the people at Orion agree with me and Celestron is shipping a replacement.

There is a big difference between the right arrow delivering a very very slow movement versus none at all, then a huge fast slew. In those cases the motor spun up and made the same sound, albeit briefly, like it does when moving large distances across the sky.

If the scope is not level, the latitude is completely wrong, and with grossly poor polar alignment the scope will not track properly. If I don't touch the HC the direction and rate of the FOV movement will be a constant. There will not be periodic large spikes in movement. By large I mean movement of the apparent size of several Jupiters.

I will use the new mount for 7-10 observing sessions and then let everyone know the result.

Don

Dr.Don

#6081039 - 09/14/13 08:27 PM

I picked up my replacement AVX and the first night out it was very obvious that the previous one had serious problems. I use a polar scope to 'get close' and then 2 star alignment. After that it worked great. GOTO put 5 of 5 objects in FOV. The motors ran smooth and all HC buttons worked.

A big thank you to the folks at Orion Telescopes for making the replacement process fast and pain-free.

RichardHK
sage

Reged: 11/25/06

Loc: Hong Kong
      #6081873 - 09/15/13 11:13 AM

Wishing you well Don. I pick up my new AVX later this month and fingers crossed real hard I get a good one first time around!

Would be nice to see a poll here on how many Cloudy Nighters have received a good vs bad scope.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6081889 - 09/15/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

I picked up my replacement AVX and the first night out it was very obvious that the previous one had serious problems. I use a polar scope to 'get close' and then 2 star alignment. After that it worked great. GOTO put 5 of 5 objects in FOV. The motors ran smooth and all HC buttons worked.

A big thank you to the folks at Orion Telescopes for making the replacement process fast and pain-free.

Doing calibration stars will do way more than polar alignment to ensure good go-to accuracy.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: RichardHK]
      #6081890 - 09/15/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

Wishing you well Don. I pick up my new AVX later this month and fingers crossed real hard I get a good one first time around!

Would be nice to see a poll here on how many Cloudy Nighters have received a good vs bad scope.

That poll would be absolutely meaningless due to the small numbers. In general, I'd say the VX introduction has actually had fewer hiccups than the CG5's did 10 years ago.

RichardHK
sage

Reged: 11/25/06

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: rmollise]
      #6081907 - 09/15/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

That poll would be absolutely meaningless due to the small numbers. In general, I'd say the VX introduction has actually had fewer hiccups than the CG5's did 10 years ago.

Thanks Rod. Understood. I will add my experience here after running through everything at home before venturing outside. Will also do live ampere checks to compare with other thread info.

KevH
sage

Reged: 03/08/10

Loc: Maine
      #6082550 - 09/15/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why would the poll be meaningless? You sure seemed to think that you could infer something about lx80 problems through the number of posts about it on CN. Why is the VX different? It has certainly had plenty of problems reported.

Edited by KevH (09/15/13 06:21 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: KevH]
      #6082615 - 09/15/13 06:54 PM

Quote:

Why would the poll be meaningless? You sure seemed to think that you could infer something about lx80 problems through the number of posts about it on CN. Why is the VX different? It has certainly had plenty of problems reported.

I didn't infer that from just what I read on cotton-picking CN, though.

Not only is the number of VX owners who read CN relatively small, there is a much higher propensity for the folks who have problems to respond then those who have not, making a poll less than useful. I am not in charge here, though, and anybody who wants to run polls about the VX is fine by me.

If you think I am off the beam about the LX80, I invite you to purchase one. What do I know? Except...I have had hands on time with one, and I can tell you I was badly disappointed.

KevH
sage

Reged: 03/08/10

Loc: Maine
      #6082668 - 09/15/13 07:28 PM

How many have you seen? Not that cotton pickin' many I'd guess. Sorry for the thread hijack, I'll let everyone get back to the VX discussion... Which looks like a decent mount btw.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems new [Re: KevH]
      #6083435 - 09/16/13 08:57 AM

Quote:

How many have you seen? Not that cotton pickin' many I'd guess.

Guess you'll never know now.

Edited by rmollise (09/16/13 08:58 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2664

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics