Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Compendium

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA, Earth
Thinking of Meade LX80
      #6057798 - 09/01/13 02:40 PM

I looked at the Meade LX80 hybrid mount and it appears to be a good mount for a variety of uses and scopes. Although there's a chance I could move to Florida one day, it's still above the 25 degree latitude limit on the mount. I have some questions about it, though.

With a 10" OTA is there still enough room within the weight limit to put an autoguider on once I decide to do astrophotography? I read that the weight limits on mounts are too optimistic. Why do they not offer an advanced coma-free OTA for that mount? Is it possible to put an ACF or a Celestron Edge HD OTA on it? Can the mount be controlled by a computer, which I will want to do? I read that with a CCD a computer could function as an autoguider.

Edited by Compendium (09/01/13 02:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Compendium]
      #6057815 - 09/01/13 02:50 PM

I would suggest reading some of the threads on this mount. But to make a long story short, it is not popular or well-regarded and Meade is having financial difficulties right now.

If you want this mount, WAIT. Meade apparently has plans to fix its problems. If you want a solid and reliable mount of this type now, look at the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ-6, which is also being sold by Orion.

Compendium

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: rmollise]
      #6057939 - 09/01/13 04:02 PM

I won't be buying a mount and OTA for a while. I'm just looking around. I did do a search, but the only relevant thread I found discusses the changes to it. Plus, that thread doesn't answer my questions about the mount.

Edited by Compendium (09/01/13 04:11 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6057943 - 09/01/13 04:05 PM

I have an LX80 that I'm, for the most part, happy with. If you can wait until the end of September, Meade has some changes planned to make the mount live up to it's specs a bit better than it does now.

I'm in the process of trying auto guiding after getting all the software and hardware in place. No results yet. I don't think anyone has posted any pics that used over 30 second subs. I think those have been unguided. For the price, which could change, this is a nice mount for visual.

The changes may well be offered as an upgrade to the existing mount rather than introduced as "the LX80", we just don't know how or when the changes will be available.

Compendium

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6057957 - 09/01/13 04:12 PM

It'll probably be half a year yet before I can afford something decent, so there's plenty of time for them to fix it.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6057962 - 09/01/13 04:14 PM

IF they fix it. I am sorry to say that, plans or no, there is at least some possibility Meade will not be around in its present form and will not be able to fix anything. I'd think alternatives.

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

#6059026 - 09/02/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

It'll probably be half a year yet before I can afford something decent, so there's plenty of time for them to fix it.

Here is what we know about the LX80 right now. This will save you reading 90 pages of threads about the LX80 and 200 page threads about Meade's financial problems.

Right now... we know... that:
1) The LX80 weight limits are grossly exaggerated by Meade most "happy" users limit the load on this mount to 15#, some even less.
2) It will barely hold up a 10" OTA for visual, for AP forgetaboutit
3) IT works best as an Alt/Azm mount, it struggles as a EQ mount.
4) Early versions on the mount had software problems that created all kinds of problems for, PEC, guiding, gotos, etc. While those are mostly fixed now, if you are considering one, make sure that the mount is flashed to the latest firmware BEFORE taking it home. Do NOT buy a used one.
5) The cut on the internal gears are an issue to many who own these mounts. Producing erratic tracking and at least part of the weight capacity problem.
6) The top of the tripod has issues. More then a few on this forum have had legs snap off of the tripod. For me this would be a deal breaker... (no pun intended) BEWARE.

We also know that Meade knows about all of this. Rumor has it that Meade is about to release a fix for this mount so that it performs in line with what Meade originally specified for the mount. But keep in mind with that:
1) It is just a rumor, originally Meade denied that any of these problems existed and
2) Meade as a company is in serious trouble and is looking for a "buy out" partner. If Meade can not conclude their current "take over" they will be in C11 (or worse) right quick... That of course will have implications on not only a "LX85" but will also have implication on any warranty work on an LX80.

I was out last night with the neighbors 9.25 on a AVX... Had none of the problems above.

There are lots of really nice, really affordable Goto mounts that would work great with a 10" OTA. There is no need to wait for Meade to fix this mount.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6059100 - 09/02/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

Compendium,

You will find saying the word "Meade" brings out all the negative news, etc.

So let me start with the easy stuff:
-- We will find out about the Meade buyout in the next 2 weeks, well before your 6 month window. So the fate of Meade discussion is really moot right now.
-- Contrary to the comments here, Meade is in fact selling products and supporting products. I just purchased an APO 130mm refractor (it arrives tomorrow, woo hoo!). And I even have communicated with real people at Meade in the past week.
-- If the buy out dies and Meade has to look at other options? I am pretty certain there is someone else in the wings to buy Meade ASAP.
-- As an added item, Meade is selling a lot of LX600 and LX850s. StarLock is a winner - the real deal. I believe Meade is trying to fill a backlog of 200+ 14" LX850s alone!

Now, I am NOT an LX80 expert, however based on what I have read, seen and spoken with others...
* LX80 seems to be a great visual mount.
* For AP, folks seem to be going with 50% of the weighted mass spec.
* Only two in this forum I have seen report legs snap.
* Meade has sold a lot of these mounts. So clearly there is an interest in this mount.
* Meade will be coming out with a rev of this mount within your time window. Yes, folks say Meade will die by then (like I said Meade seems to be selling lots of high end product for a dying company...), but let us assume Meade is around. Interest in the new rev of the LX80 mount is VERY high. If it goes as well as the LX800 to LX850 leap, the new LX80 will be a winner. I for one will get the LX8X, over the AVX if your wait is up to 6 months. Then again, my used LXD75 works fantastic.
* SkySafari works with the LX80.
* I for one would take the f/8 ACF over the f/10 Edge HD. Yes, you can use Fastar with the Edge, but that is an even bigger leap in cost and of course the Fastar is not for visual use. Still, it boils down to preference, taste, cost, etc.

Now if you can swing the LX600 or LX850 I would go with that Both units with their optics and StarLock are amazing. Then again, they are not as portable as an LX80 setup.

Now wait for it...wait for it...you will see the mega slams on Meade and myself...par for the course on CN...

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6059189 - 09/02/13 12:44 PM

Quote:

Now that's reassuring.

Compendium

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: ur7x]
      #6059202 - 09/02/13 12:48 PM

I recently watched some Youtube videos by Forrest Tanaka on astrophotography. He brought up a few interesting points that may delay me from getting a SCT for a while. Due to the affordability, among other benefits, I may go with an Orion 10" Astrograph Newtonian reflector as my first good OTA. Not only will it be great for visual observation at first to get used to the scope and computerized mount, it will be great for DSO astrophotography at a good price. I don't mind the size of the OTA and means I'll be able to afford a telescope much sooner.

Of course, that still leaves me with the mount. I did see the new AVX mount and is at a relatively good price. However, I'm worried about the weight limit. The 10" Newtonian is 25.5 lb. by itself. It'll be pretty close to the weight limit of the mount (30 lb.) when more accessories are added, especially if I add an autoguider + scope and a camera one day. Will it be able to handle all that? The CGEM can hold 40 lb., but is double the price for that extra 10 lb.

Edited by Compendium (09/02/13 12:53 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6059220 - 09/02/13 12:56 PM

Quote:

I recently watched a couple Youtube videos by Forrest Tanaka on astrophotography. He brought up a few interesting points that may delay me from getting a SCT for a while. Due to the affordability, among other benefits, I may go with an Orion 10" Astrograph Newtonian reflector as my first good OTA. Not only will it be great for visual observation at first to get used to the scope and computerized mount, it will be great for DSO astrophotography at a good price. I don't mind the size of the OTA and means I'll be able to afford a telescope much sooner.

Of course, that still leaves me with the mount. I did see the new AVX mount and is at a relatively good price. However, I'm worried about the weight limit. The 10" Newtonian is 25.5 lb. by itself. It'll be pretty close to the weight limit of the mount (30 lb.) when more accessories are added, especially if I add an autoguider + scope and a camera. Will it be able to handle all that? The CGEM can hold 40 lb., but is double the price for that extra 10 lb.

You will need a LOT of mount for a 10" Newtonian. If you want to get started imaging, I'd look at a smallish APO refractor. The 10" newt may be within the weight limit of some mounts but since it is very long, that adds to the stability problems. For the AVX mount, if you want a newt, I'd go with a 6". Research all the parts and pieces you will need. I was surprised when I started buying equipment and software for AP at how much is required.

Compendium

#6059267 - 09/02/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

You will need a LOT of mount for a 10" Newtonian. If you want to get started imaging, I'd look at a smallish APO refractor. The 10" newt may be within the weight limit of some mounts but since it is very long, that adds to the stability problems. For the AVX mount, if you want a newt, I'd go with a 6". Research all the parts and pieces you will need. I was surprised when I started buying equipment and software for AP at how much is required.

I won't be able to afford equipment for astrophotography and a new telescope at the same time. First I want a larger OTA and computerized mount with a few eyepices and filters for visual astronomy. Plus, a small ED APO refractor won't be much better than what I already have for visual astronomy.

Edited by Compendium (09/02/13 01:28 PM)

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6059282 - 09/02/13 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I won't be able to afford equipment for astrophotography and a new telescope at the same time. Plus, a small ED APO refractor won't be much better than what I already have for visual astronomy.

What do you have right now?

I have to admit I am having a lot of fun with my little 80mm Meade APO - visually it is very impressive (we will soon see how things are through the 130mm). I will try a run at AP once I am back in NM.

I agree with Mike's comment.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: kevint1]
      #6059287 - 09/02/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now that's reassuring.

Actually, let me correct my statement.

Out of the 1000s sold, I have seen 1 confirmed break on CN and this was taken care of by Meade even though the damage was done by the customer.

Bonus points for Meade on that.

Compendium

#6059295 - 09/02/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

What do you have right now?

I have to admit I am having a lot of fun with my little 80mm Meade APO - visually it is very impressive (we will soon see how things are through the 130mm). I will try a run at AP once I am back in NM.

I agree with Mike's comment.

This is the telescope I currently have, the Celestron Firstscope 80EQ. It's the second one on that page. In addition to the 25mm eyepiece I have a 2x barlow and a 10mm eyepiece.

http://www.analyticalsci.com/Astronomy/Telescopes/imagesc/Celestron%20Web/1E_...

I have had it since I was a kid and is still in great condition.

Edited by Compendium (09/02/13 01:43 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6059296 - 09/02/13 01:35 PM

Huh? Either you didn't look, or this is disinformation.

Par for the course from this source.

-Rich

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #6059297 - 09/02/13 01:35 PM

Most affordable mounts will usually only carry 1/2-2/3 of the advertised weights for decent AP. That is a good rule of thumb. Most high end mounts AP, Paramount, etc. will usually do AP at or close to their advertised spec's. I have seen many mounts loaded with too much scope and extras. And the owners will often say the mount is a piece of *BLEEP* because they can't get good AP results.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6059324 - 09/02/13 01:49 PM

Andrew, please make an attempt to get your facts straight.

(1) Where does someone claim Meade isn't currently selling or supporting products in this thread? You claim someone is saying this- who and where?

(2) Please provide data on what published data supports this story about backup buyouts in the offing. According to Meade's management, plan B is liquidation.

(3) This "Coming out with a Rev" is the result of a year-long campaign spearheaded by Mike Kofski. It's irresponsible to soft-pedal the reason for it: The LX80 does not meet any of its stated specs. Mike and a lot of other CN contributors have done a lot of work to document the true state of this hardware, its software interactions, and field behavior, then reported all of it and campaigned for a fix. Will Meade actually do it? Well, they are saying everything will magically be better with aluminum parts instead of zinc pot metal parts (this is why the tripods break), actual drive gear profiles on the worm and wheel, and more fixes. Telling a story of "The great is getting better!" is disingenuous to the point of fraud.

(4) Explain what this "Lots of interest" business is all about. This appears to be nothing more than a massive block of ad puffery. What does it have to do with giving a responsible answer to an OP who asked in good faith?

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Compendium,

You will find saying the word "Meade" brings out all the negative news, etc.

So let me start with the easy stuff:
-- We will find out about the Meade buyout in the next 2 weeks, well before your 6 month window. So the fate of Meade discussion is really moot right now.
-- Contrary to the comments here, Meade is in fact selling products and supporting products. I just purchased an APO 130mm refractor (it arrives tomorrow, woo hoo!). And I even have communicated with real people at Meade in the past week.
-- If the buy out dies and Meade has to look at other options? I am pretty certain there is someone else in the wings to buy Meade ASAP.
-- As an added item, Meade is selling a lot of LX600 and LX850s. StarLock is a winner - the real deal. I believe Meade is trying to fill a backlog of 200+ 14" LX850s alone!

Now, I am NOT an LX80 expert, however based on what I have read, seen and spoken with others...
* LX80 seems to be a great visual mount.
* For AP, folks seem to be going with 50% of the weighted mass spec.
* Meade has sold a lot of these mounts. So clearly there is an interest in this mount.
* Meade will be coming out with a rev of this mount within your time window. Yes, folks say Meade will die by then (like I said Meade seems to be selling lots of high end product for a dying company...), but let us assume Meade is around. Interest in the new rev of the LX80 mount is VERY high. If it goes as well as the LX800 to LX850 leap, the new LX80 will be a winner. I for one will get the LX8X, over the AVX if your wait is up to 6 months. Then again, my used LXD75 works fantastic.
* SkySafari works with the LX80.
* I for one would take the f/8 ACF over the f/10 Edge HD. Yes, you can use Fastar with the Edge, but that is an even bigger leap in cost and of course the Fastar is not for visual use. Still, it boils down to preference, taste, cost, etc.

Now if you can swing the LX600 or LX850 I would go with that Both units with their optics and StarLock are amazing. Then again, they are not as portable as an LX80 setup.

Now wait for it...wait for it...you will see the mega slams on Meade and myself...par for the course on CN...

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: brokenwave]
      #6059330 - 09/02/13 01:51 PM

Quote:

Most affordable mounts will usually only carry 1/2-2/3 of the advertised weights for decent AP. That is a good rule of thumb. Most high end mounts AP, Paramount, etc. will usually do AP at or close to their advertised spec's. I have seen many mounts loaded with too much scope and extras. And the owners will often say the mount is a piece of *BLEEP* because they can't get good AP results.

Spot on with this.

Though the LX850 should be on the list of high end mounts that meet the specs...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6059332 - 09/02/13 01:53 PM

-Rich

Edited by Dave M (09/02/13 04:10 PM)

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6059343 - 09/02/13 01:58 PM

Sigh,

For now I am going sailing.

In the mean time I do have the big Meade LX850 vs. Celestron vs AP challenge. No one has taken me up on it, so I will likely post the results against cardboard cutouts. Stay tuned for the results in November.

AND in the mean time, lets get back to the OPs main points.

Quote:

Andrew, please make an attempt to get your facts straight.

(1) Where does someone claim Meade isn't currently selling or supporting products in this thread? You claim someone is saying this- who and where?

(2) Please provide data on what published data supports this story about backup buyouts in the offing. According to Meade's management, plan B is liquidation.

(3) This "Coming out with a Rev" is the result of a year-long campaign spearheaded by Mike Kofski. It's irresponsible to soft-pedal the reason for it: The LX80 does not meet any of its stated specs. Mike and a lot of other CN contributors have done a lot of work to document the true state of this hardware, its software interactions, and field behavior, then reported all of it and campaigned for a fix. Will Meade actually do it? Well, they are saying everything will magically be better with aluminum parts instead of zinc pot metal parts (this is why the tripods break), actual drive gear profiles on the worm and wheel, and more fixes. Telling a story of "The great is getting better!" is disingenuous to the point of fraud.

(4) Explain what this "Lots of interest" business is all about. This appears to be nothing more than a massive block of ad puffery. What does it have to do with giving a responsible answer to an OP who asked in good faith?

-Rich

Quote:

Quote:

Edited by Dave M (09/02/13 04:30 PM)

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6059356 - 09/02/13 02:05 PM

Last I checked I am the PI on two space missions though.

Meade is not paying me a penny, though I am a VERY happy customer of Meade.

- Telescopes: all have worked great since day of purchase.
- Accessories: worked great since 1975
- Customer service: Wonderful folks to talk with.

Edited by Dave M (09/02/13 04:29 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6059358 - 09/02/13 02:06 PM

Rich,

Good points all. Since the OP has several months to make a decision then he can look at the state of mounts at a later date.

In the mean time I'd suggest a LOT of research on what equipment and software is required to get I to AP and still have a system that is usable visually.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6059365 - 09/02/13 02:08 PM

Quote:

Due to the affordability, among other benefits, I may go with an Orion 10" Astrograph Newtonian reflector as my first good OTA. Not only will it be great for visual observation at first to get used to the scope and computerized mount, it will be great for DSO astrophotography at a good price.

The Orion Astrograph is an F/4 Newtonian designed for photography, ie, large secondary, focuser backfocus chosen a camera rather than than visual.

Since apparently this is your first Newtonian, well, F/4 is not the place I would start out... Coma is serious, eyepieces do not like F/4 light cones unless you are willing to spend real money. One of my favorite scopes is my 12.5 inch F/4.06 but to make it sing, there's $2000+ in eyepieces, a Paracorr and about $250 collimation tools.

Astrophotography and visual observing, these are different hobbies. It's best not to try to mix them.. $500 buys a 10 inch F/5 Dob complete that is a wonderful visual instrument and is more forgiving than a 10 inch F/4...

Jon

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6059694 - 09/02/13 05:14 PM

Just a reminder Guys, Please!! keep the discussion a polite one.
Thank you!

ur7x
sage

#6059757 - 09/02/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

I recently watched some Youtube videos by Forrest Tanaka on astrophotography. He brought up a few interesting points that may delay me from getting a SCT for a while. Due to the affordability, among other benefits, I may go with an Orion 10" Astrograph Newtonian reflector as my first good OTA. Not only will it be great for visual observation at first to get used to the scope and computerized mount, it will be great for DSO astrophotography at a good price. I don't mind the size of the OTA and means I'll be able to afford a telescope much sooner.

Of course, that still leaves me with the mount. I did see the new AVX mount and is at a relatively good price. However, I'm worried about the weight limit. The 10" Newtonian is 25.5 lb. by itself. It'll be pretty close to the weight limit of the mount (30 lb.) when more accessories are added, especially if I add an autoguider + scope and a camera one day. Will it be able to handle all that? The CGEM can hold 40 lb., but is double the price for that extra 10 lb.

The LX80 isn't even close to being able to handle your target payload. To quote some who offer the advise to me sarcastically, "This aint the mount for you". Of course I'm offering that advice in earnest.

If you are considering a 10" newt and money is tight, I'd consider a second hand atlas or CGEM.

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6059777 - 09/02/13 06:22 PM

I hope Mike is right and that Meade comes along with the LX85 with improved gears, components and re-engineered tripod. I came close to buying the LX80 when it was first announced, but I listened to Uncle Rod and others who advised caution on the new product front. Still, I think there is an important niche for a EQ/Alt-Az & Dual Scope mount such as the LX80 promised for under $1k. Of course we have to wait and see if the Sunny merger goes through and Meade survives... Like many others I too was hopeful that Explore Scientific would have been the white knight as I believe they have very good product intuition and could have taken Meade to greater success... Crossing my fingers and waiting...

Al

ur7x
sage

#6059784 - 09/02/13 06:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now that's reassuring.

Out of the 1000s sold, I have seen 1 confirmed break on CN and this was taken care of by Meade even though the damage was done by the customer.

Bonus? Wow. I have personally seen people take loaded Atlas, CGEMs and LX200's by one leg and drag them across long grass to make room for a late comer to a star party. I have never seen ONE of those tripods break. The fact that Meade worked quickly to send out a replacement is not "Bonus Marks" Bonus Marks would be offered if Meade had engineered a tripod that didn't snap in the first place... I wonder were are all of the posts from owners of LX200's, CGEMs, ASGT, Atlas, AP, or what have you with broken tripods?

No this mount is "special" in a not so special way.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6059802 - 09/02/13 06:36 PM

A lot of what drives these interactions is frustration. The hardware was frustrating. The learning process was really frustrating. Trying to make fixes was extremely frustrating. Getting a repair together which will be available 2 weeks after the company faces a vote to sell out for salvage value or go to liquidation, well, that's a bit frustrating, too.

The advice for an Atlas or CGEM is spot on- available, steady as a block of granite, and known quantities.

Maybe Meade's folks have a great answer. But at this point, it's really late. It's a warning to anyone who wants a second bite at the apple.

-Rich

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6059884 - 09/02/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now that's reassuring.

Bonus? Wow. I have personally seen people take loaded Atlas, CGEMs and LX200's by one leg and drag them across long grass to make room for a late comer to a star party. I have never seen ONE of those tripods break. The fact that Meade worked quickly to send out a replacement is not "Bonus Marks" Bonus Marks would be offered if Meade had engineered a tripod that didn't snap in the first place... I wonder were are all of the posts from owners of LX200's, CGEMs, ASGT, Atlas, AP, or what have you with broken tripods?

No this mount is "special" in a not so special way.

UR7X -- My English is not so good, so let me explain it more clearly.

It is a bonus for Meade to respond and take care of the matter, especially when the customer indicated it was his fault.

I agree it should have been engineered better, though it appears there are many happy customers out there on the visual front for the LX80.

Either way this is all moot. Compendium is looking at 6 months down the road, not next week. Meade will either be selling the LX80 still, the LX8x, or per others selling only Walmart Telescopes or dead and gone since all the white knights have disappeared. Probably best to focus on Compendium's question, t and next steps.

Compendium--

Jon did have some very good points in his post: "Astrophotography and visual observing, these are different hobbies. It's best not to try to mix them.. ".

It all boils down usage, location, finances, application, etc. etc. My 14" ACF is wonderful, but I will not travel around the country with it. Plus it seems more effective in my drier climate location (excluding the monsoon season!). A faster APO refractor compared to your current model can be quite nice and is portable (I am learning this quickly!), but may be too expensive. Fortunately you have some time to figure this out - and even try out some telescopes and mounts!

I do like the concept of the LX80. My guess is all the questions regarding the "LX8-whatever" will be answered in the next 6 months.

BTW - sometimes I travel through Wisconsin. I have no problem if you want to take a peek and trial run with my equipment if you are interested. And of course if you are in Michigan or New Mexico you are welcome to stop by too.

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
      #6059920 - 09/02/13 08:04 PM

Several things you need to be aware of. A 10" reflector is a fairly large scope in size, it has a lot of mass (weight) out at the ends, so when it moves it wants to keep moving. Second a big scope acts like a big sail and catches the wind very well, so a little breeze can cause a lot of movement. So what does this mean to you? You need a fairly robust mount to handle this big of scope. Running a mount at or near it's rated weight limit for astrophotography will generate nothing but frustration.

A CGEM, iEQ45 or EQ-6/EQ-G will work well for visual use with this scope. For astrophotography, these would be about the minimum scope you could get by with and even then it may be a tough job.

Quote:

Compendium--
Jon did have some very good points in his post: "Astrophotography and visual observing, these are different hobbies. It's best not to try to mix them.. ".

I think there are quite a few of us who mix the two them with no problems. Some scopes are not meant for astrophotography, while others are not meant for visual use. But their are quit a few that will do both well. A good robust mount will work well for both.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6059930 - 09/02/13 08:12 PM

I was happy that Meade took care of both the problems I had with the LX80. I wasn't all that happy to have to pay shipping back to them for the mount, but that's the way life,is at times.

I know of 3 occurrences of the tripod let breaking. I take partial responsibility for the failure of mine because I tried to move the mount without picking it up. I only take partial responsibility because moving a loaded tripod an inch or 2 shouldn't snap the legs off.

All this rhetoric does the OP no good at all. How important or unimportant our individual jobs are does the OP no good at all. I think we've made the point that, right now, the LX80 isn't a good choice for a 10" Newtonian astrograph. He can revisit mount as his purchase date get closer.

I had a lot of advice when I was looking for a mount. Probably should have listed to some of it. I think that the OP could use some advice on what all equipment and software is required to get into AP and what that total cost is. I made up a list of what I know (not all that much) at 3 levels: 1. Low cost, 2. Higher cost, better equipment and 3. "if I won the lottery level". Just round numbers without specific vendors in mind. Add to it if you like or give us your own list. My low end numbers are based on buying some used and some new equipment.

Item Low end Higher end If I win the lottery
Mount $1,000 $5,000 $15,000
Imaging OTA $400 $1,500 $15,000
Finder $50 $150 $0
Second OTA $250 $750 $3,000
Computer $300 $1,500 $3,000
Software $100 $500 $1,500
Cables $200 $200 $500
Field flatner $125 $250 $0
Tablet $250 $500 $750
Guide camera $250 $600 $1,000
Imaging camera $500 $2,500 $10,000
Observatory $0 $1,000 $15,000

Total $3,425 $14,450 $49,750

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Pauls72]
      #6059931 - 09/02/13 08:13 PM

Compendium,

Of course the other question to consider is are you also looking at Video Astronomy along with AP and Visual?

Video Astronomy is my more recent "discovery", and I am having a blast with it (when I have the opportunity with weather, travel and all!). This is also a lot more forgiving than AP, and you can see a lot of faint fuzzies and such. Will it look like the amazing AP photos some folks produce? No, but you can see a lot of cool stuff, in color no less, in seconds you would barely see visually. With video astronomy the demands on your mount are very low.

Compendium

#6059935 - 09/02/13 08:17 PM

Instead of spending far more money on a beefier mount to hold a 25.5 lb. 10", I could go down to the 8" which is 17.5 lb. Surely the Advanced VX could handle that, right?

About the coma, a Google search showed that some people said there was coma around the edge, but it was very little during visual use without a coma corrector. Even if they are wrong and it is bad, wouldn't a coma corrector or barlow lens fix that? I'd eventually have to get a coma corrector for photography anyway.

Regarding video astronomy, I assume that's referring to speckle imaging? I read about it, but I have no idea how it's implemented.

Edited by Compendium (09/02/13 08:32 PM)

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6059954 - 09/02/13 08:36 PM

Quote:

Item Low end Higher end If I win the lottery
Mount $1,000 $5,000 $15,000
Imaging OTA $400 $1,500 $15,000
Finder $50 $150 $0
Second OTA $250 $750 $3,000
Computer $300 $1,500 $3,000
Software $100 $500 $1,500
Cables $200 $200 $500
Field flatner $125 $250 $0
Tablet $250 $500 $750
Guide camera $250 $600 $1,000
Imaging camera $500 $2,500 $10,000
Observatory $0 $1,000 $15,000

Total $3,425 $14,450 $49,750

Mike - good research on the ball park numbers! Without the observatory, I think the current high end setup I am working with is $21,500 (there will be research instruments added putting it over $200k). LX200 (mid-range) was around $15k, ball park over the years of purchases, using your metrics.

However, you can take some really cool images with just an iOptron SkyTracker (or similar), Manfrotto tripod and head (or similar), and a DSLR with lens. This may be low end in price, however great high end images. Worth considering.

Don't forget the subscription with Adobe for PhotoShop in your software model. This will of course add up over time.

So many choices...

What is the PowerBall at right now???

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#6059959 - 09/02/13 08:38 PM

Coma is visual at low powers. Prime focus photography is going to show it along the edges. Coma correctors increase the f/#.

Maybe a better question is what is driving your telescope choice. Are you just looking for aperture?

Video astronomy is not speckle imaging; real time images of integrations. It's been around since the late 90s. Look up Mallincam and you'll see examples. Basically you set up a camera with a video monitor. As the camera looks at the image, it combines the last several frames in what it sends to the monitor. Mou can select how many frames it stacks and the white balance to get a usable image on the screen. It's a cute trick, but you can do it with a Dobsonian, so it really doesn't have much to do with mounting.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (09/02/13 09:31 PM)

dale67cameron

Reged: 01/03/12

Loc: Midwest
      #6059968 - 09/02/13 08:43 PM

The meade mounts I have owned in the past were always ok as long as luck was with you. I never had complete confidence in them. Goto's would be accurate one night and a disaster the next. I bought a orion atlas 2 years ago and what a upgrade. From the first night I used it, it has been dead on every night. Nothing magical, just set it up , align and use it. I use everything from a 8 lb to a 55lb scope on it and it just works all night with no issues. If you want a no nonsense mount that works, buy an atlas.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6059992 - 09/02/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Instead of spending far more money on a beefier mount to hold a 25.5 lb. 10", I could go down to the 8" which is 17.5 lb. Surely the Advanced VX could handle that, right?

About the coma, a Google search showed that some people said there was coma around the edge, but it was very little during visual use without a coma corrector. Even if they are wrong and it is bad, wouldn't a coma corrector or barlow lens fix that? I'd eventually have to get a coma corrector for photography anyway.

Regarding video astronomy, I assume that's referring to speckle imaging? I read about it, but I have no idea how it's implemented.

I think the AVX will have trouble with a 17 pound 8" newt... A 6" would be better. I think a 8 or 10 " newt would require a CGEM, Atlas, or iOptron 45

Also, for visual, if the OP has not used a larger newt, you can get in some fairly uncomfortable positions. I bought a 6" Orion and sold it after using it 2 times. I find a SCT and a short or medium FL refractor much easier to use.

Edited by Mkofski (09/03/13 12:27 AM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6060006 - 09/02/13 09:11 PM

Quote:

What is the PowerBall at right now???

I just recently realized that to win the Power Ball I have to start buying tickets.

My kit is in the low end price wise but because of not doing proper research I've spent almost twice that amount.

ur7x
sage

#6060328 - 09/03/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

I think the AVX will have trouble with a 17 pound 8" newt... A 6" would be better. I don't think a 8 or 10 " newt would require a CGEM, Atlas, or iOptron 45

Curious POV since my neighbor has his 22# 9.25 HD Edge on his AVX and it works great and he takes amazing pictures through it.

If the AVX can perform decent AP with a 22# OTA a 17# newt should be a walk in the park.

An 8" Newt will be fine on ether an AVX or the CGEM... moving to a 10" newt I would move to the Atlas or CGEM if for no other reason then for windy nights... 10" newts make for a large sail.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#6060332 - 09/03/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

About the coma, a Google search showed that some people said there was coma around the edge, but it was very little during visual use without a coma corrector. Even if they are wrong and it is bad, wouldn't a coma corrector or barlow lens fix that? I'd eventually have to get a coma corrector for photography anyway

The "coma free region" of a Newtonian is inversely proportional to the cube of the focal ratio. At F/4, it 1.4mm in diameter. Inside that 1.4mm circle, a perfect mirror is diffraction limited, outside it, it is no longer diffraction limited and it gets worse the further away from the center of the field. With a 2 inch widefield eyepiece, the entire field of view might be 35mm in diameter... The coma at F/4 very apparent at low magnifications and affects the quality of the view at higher magnifications.

Yes, you can buy a coma corrector, you can also buy eyepieces that work nicely at F/4 or F/4.6 with a Paracorr. But it is a serious investment...

As far as using the same equipment for A-P and Visual.. it does involve compromizing both, A-P is about the mount, visual is about the scope.. A mount which is sufficient for visual observation with a 8 inch F/5 Newtonian would be appropriate for a 3 or 4 inch refractor used for astrophotography.

In this situation, the focal ratio, the size of the secondary, the backfocus, these are suited for A-P, not so much for visual.

Jon

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6060340 - 09/03/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the AVX will have trouble with a 17 pound 8" newt... A 6" would be better. I don't think a 8 or 10 " newt would require a CGEM, Atlas, or iOptron 45

Curious POV since my neighbor has his 22# 9.25 HD Edge on his AVX and it works great and he takes amazing pictures through it.

If the AVX can perform decent AP with a 22# OTA a 17# newt should be a walk in the park.

An 8" Newt will be fine on ether an AVX or the CGEM... moving to a 10" newt I would move to the Atlas or CGEM if for no other reason then for windy nights... 10" newts make for a large sail.

I corrected .a typo in my earlier post. I DO think a 10" newt would take a CGEM, etc. I would be afraid of using a 17 pound newt where a 22 pound SCT would work fine because the newt is so much longer. Once you add the additional equipment the weight is going to be over that initial 17 pounds... but what do I know? I don't have an AVX or a 10" newt.

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
      #6060369 - 09/03/13 01:07 AM

I have an LX80. Works fine. It's heavier than I had expected. Interesting design and field assembly. Great tripod. I use it for star parties and out reach programs.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: dale67cameron]
      #6060399 - 09/03/13 01:50 AM

Quote:

The meade mounts I have owned in the past were always ok as long as luck was with you. I never had complete confidence in them. Goto's would be accurate one night and a disaster the next. I bought a orion atlas 2 years ago and what a upgrade. From the first night I used it, it has been dead on every night. Nothing magical, just set it up , align and use it. I use everything from a 8 lb to a 55lb scope on it and it just works all night with no issues. If you want a no nonsense mount that works, buy an atlas.

dale67cameron - I guess mileage varies from individual to individual and maybe I have been powerfully lucky with my Meade mounts. LX200 has worked perfect for me since 1991 (or was it 1992 when I got it? Senile me is forgetting!) - gotos are great. ETX125? Not as good as LX200, but always in field of view. LXD75 - amazing unit based my experience. Gotos always spot on after a very quick set-up. So far this has been a fun grab and go mount for me. I am very pleased with it. LX850 - absolutely amazing. High Precision Pointing is always perfect. StarLock amazing. So I guess I don't share your experiences.

Great news on your LX80 mount Starman! And I always love to hear about outreach programs and such. Do you do your outreach events and parties in Iowa and Illinois? Are you in the Quad cities area? Or do you travel a lot in those states? Did you buy or make a case for your LX80?

Edited by Spacetravelerx (09/03/13 08:31 PM)

Compendium

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Starman27]
      #6060408 - 09/03/13 02:06 AM

Even though the OTA will cost twice as much, it is sounding like an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain would be a better route to go for visual astronomy even though it can't get as wide as a field as a Newtonian. So, an 8" SCT with the AVX mount is sounding good.

I suppose an advantage of the long focal length of a SCT is that long focal length eyepieces can be used to give a larger viewing area for a given magnification and field of view. That way a person won't have to get so close to the eyepiece and squint to see small objects in the sky.

Edited by Compendium (09/03/13 02:24 AM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#6060543 - 09/03/13 06:55 AM

Quote:

I suppose an advantage of the long focal length of a SCT is that long focal length eyepieces can be used to give a larger viewing area for a given magnification and field of view. That way a person won't have to get so close to the eyepiece and squint to see small objects in the sky.

With the longer focal length, you will be able to use longer focal length eyepieces but for a given magnification and apparent field of view, the true field of view will be the same.

Eye relief is an issue with some shorter focal length eyepieces but eyepieces with AFoVs that are greater than Plossls almost always include a Barlow-like section and have reasonable/comfortable eye relief.

Jon

dale67cameron

Reged: 01/03/12

Loc: Midwest
      #6060549 - 09/03/13 07:04 AM

Regarding my earlier post, I have only had experience with etx90, lxd75, and the ds series mounts. I have been impressed with meades goto accuracy on their lx200's my friends have. I am sure their high end mounts are in a different league as far as accuracy. I have also had a cg-5 mount. Ok, but not an atlas. I still would recommend orion's atlas or sirius if you are looking for a dependable workhorse. Mine gets used several times a week depending on the weather. I haven't been around a huge number of the atlas and eq-6 mounts, but everybody I know that has one has been very pleased with it. I travel a long ways for some public outreach events and I really need a mount I can count on. This one hasn't let me down yet. It is very frustrating to have several hundred people wanting to look through your scope and the mount won't work. I have had kids grab my focuser and swing down off a ladder a couple of times. I had a girl pull herself up by grabbing the eyepiece the other night. I have never had to worry about the mount getting damaged by kids so far.(knock on wood) . The lx80 does have the alt-az advantage which would be nice. If you go with it, let us know your thoughts on it. I would be interested to know how it works for you.

Edited by dale67cameron (09/03/13 07:31 AM)

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: dale67cameron]
      #6061113 - 09/03/13 02:03 PM

I have a Meade LXD55 mount (this is a very similar mount to the CG5 and GP2). I tuned it up, installed a Warp's belt drive kit and built a spreader to help stabilize the mount. All of these things helped and the goto's were fairly accurate. I had an 8" reflector on it. It worked well for visual use, but for astrophotography it did not. I did add a motorized focuser to reduce the vibrations when focusing. Even after all of the upgrades if you took the OTA and pushed gently on the end of it in either direction there was movement. When I moved the OTA, I could actually see the mount head flexing. Yes, that's correct I could actually see the metal casting flexing.

My LXD55 has a 30lb weight rating, my Atlas EQ-G has a 40 lb weight rating. When you add a camera, guide scope with guide camera, extension tubes, field flatteners or reducers, filters, motorized focuser, extra counter weights, etc... you are adding quite a bit of weight to your mount. When you hang some of this on the ends of your OTA you are actually multiplying the weight, because the OTA acts like a lever.

In general manufacturers ratings for their mounts capacity do well for visual use. For astrophotography use you need to take a third to half off of that capacity. All you need is a millimeter of movement at the end of you OTA to make for a blurry picture or egg shaped stars. Does it mean you can't do astrophotography at their rated weight capacity? No, it's just it will be difficult to obtain good results.

Astrophotography with long focal length scopes such as SCT's is difficult. Because of the long focal length any movement or vibration is magnified. It is strongly recommended you start astrophotograghy with a wide angle short focal length refractor if your doing deep sky. However there are multiple kinds of astrophotograghy and multiple kinds of camera's used. By far the best bet is to spend some time with someone that has some experience and talk to them.

Find a club near you or go to a star party, or even do both. look at what people have and talk to them before making a decision. Not knowing where in Wisconsin you are, I don't know how far this is from you: SAG is having their Illinois Dark Skies Star Party in early October, it's held near Springfield, IL.

This is my 8" reflector with a 60mm refractor as a guide scope on the LXD55 and then the Atlas and LXD55 mounts side by side. Although there is only 10 or 15 lbs different is capacities the Atlas is at least double the actual physical weight of the LXD55.

Compendium

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Pauls72]
      #6061351 - 09/03/13 05:11 PM

It looks like I'll have to accept the fact I'll have to buy multiple OTAs over time to do visual astronomy and astrophotography well.

First I'll focus on visual astronomy and get an 8" SCT and the AVX mount (and some accessories). Later, after saving up again, I'll work on getting AP equipment and an ED APO refractor.

If the AVX mount can't handle a 12.5 lb. SCT, the diagonal, a filter, and an eyepiece, or a 10 lb. ED APO refractor, autoguider, and camera, the mount shouldn't even be sold.

Edited by Compendium (09/03/13 05:11 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6061537 - 09/03/13 07:33 PM

You don't HAVE to buy 2 scopes for visual and astrophotography. There is an Orion 102mm APO listed on AstroMart now for about $700 that I would buy if I haven't just bought a smaller APO. It is an f/7 and large enough that it would be Ok for visual also. I don't think the seller has it listed here on CN. I am not the seller and have no stake in the sale of the scope. I guess that while there are wrong choices, there are many right choices. Good luck whatever rout you take.

Mike

==== edit ===
2 corrections. The scope I talked about above is a 110mm and it is listed here on CN. Ad # 86673 I think.

Edited by Mkofski (09/03/13 08:40 PM)

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
      #6061647 - 09/03/13 08:55 PM

There is nothing wrong with having multiple scopes for multiple purposes - for the same reason you have both screwdrivers and pliers in a toolbox - different tools for different jobs.

I think for visual, the AVX/8" SCT will work great, and give you a lot deeper DSO views than a smaller APO refractor.

You could also try AP with the 8" SCT, but that is probably a hard way to start out trying to do astrophotography, as it would be for any long f/l scope.

Once you are ready for AP, you could get a very short focal length refractor to "get your feet wet" - something like an AT72ED. In my experience, the shorter the focal length you start with, the less frustrations you may encounter (balance, guiding accuracy, finding targets, etc.).

You can find tons of images on AstroBin using a CG-5 mount (the predecessor to the AVX). Here is a link to an imager on AstroBin that has some really good images taken with a 6" f/5 Netwonian mounted on a CG-5:

http://www.astrobin.com/users/Joanot/

If this class mount can handle a 6" reflector for AP, then a small APO (up to 4") should be no problem.

Greg

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: gmartin02]
      #6061684 - 09/03/13 09:14 PM

I think the AVX can handle an 8" SCT - but then that is f/10 and sloooooow. If you got the Optec 0.5X reducer it would become 1000mm FL and f/5 - much better. That reducer is not cheap and only covers an 18mm circle (e.g. Micro-4/3 camera or 8300 chip camera) but it's one approach..

I've also used a refractor 0.8X reducer on an SCT and it works well. You'd then get f/8 and 1600mm which I think is beyond the AVX capabilities for astrophotography..

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6061692 - 09/03/13 09:20 PM

Quote:

That reducer is not cheap and only covers an 18mm circle (e.g. Micro-4/3 camera or 8300 chip camera) but it's one approach..

You'd need more like a 25mm circle to cover an 8300 chip.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6061723 - 09/03/13 09:39 PM

Just so you know Meade has stopped making the LX80 so any that a retailer may have is old stock. If you want the $799.00 LX80 and use it with a lighter OTA you may still find a vendor somewhere with one in the back room. Otherwise wait until the new version is released.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6062305 - 09/04/13 08:49 AM

Quote:

I think the AVX can handle an 8" SCT - but then that is f/10 and sloooooow.

The VX can easily handle an 8-inch SCT for imaging or a C11 for visual. For a STANDARD SCT, just get the good, old Celestron reducer. Works fine, lasts a long time.

For an Edge? The new Celestron reducer is 299, about the same in real dollars that the original reducer cost in the early 1990s when it was new.

Edited by rmollise (09/04/13 08:54 AM)

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: rmollise]
      #6062585 - 09/04/13 12:36 PM

well uncle Rod, i know you speak very highly of the standard hundred-buck f6.3 reducer, but my experience wasn't so great. Using a 0.8X refractor reducer yielded much better stars across the field (but then the reduction is also less). My experience with the f6.3 reducer was that there also was very strong vignetting even on APS-C. For all these reasons, I got rid of my f6.3 reducer...

rmollise
Postmaster

#6062775 - 09/04/13 02:10 PM

All I can say that I used the r/c successfully with both 35mm film, and with today's APS chips. Much depends on your individual configuration, of course so, as always "YMMV." If there is a fault in the original r/c for me, it's its tendency to reflections if bright stars are nearby. Still, back in the day it was quite an advance for me over the putrid .5 reducers I'd used before.

ur7x
sage

Re: Thinking of Meade LX80 new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6063559 - 09/04/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Just so you know Meade has stopped making the LX80 so any that a retailer may have is old stock. If you want the $799.00 LX80 and use it with a lighter OTA you may still find a vendor somewhere with one in the back room. Otherwise wait until the new version is released.

Really! We are all debating a mount that is basically "done"?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6063575 - 09/04/13 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really! We are all debating a mount that is basically "done"?

I don't think "done" has been decided yet. Will be soon but not just yet. Barring access to a time machine, the best Meade can do with this mount is to make it work like it should have at first. The worst that can happen is Meade disappears and those of us that have the mount are orphaned. Bad, but not the worse thing that has happened to me.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6063810 - 09/05/13 05:55 AM

Can people please give some sort of evidence or source for the information they post so confidently.

It seems to be the sort of thing that the people at Meade who are in a position to know would be very discreet about allowing outside the factory - or telling the sales people.

It would give us an idea of how reliable this is, or if someone (not necessarily the poster) is making it up.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1916

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics