Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: crow]
      #6075402 - 09/11/13 03:44 PM

There is a Mach 1 on Astromart now

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: t.r.]
      #6075468 - 09/11/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

I don't think you have to worry about the mounts being produced and available after Roland is gone...but, as for the scopes...

The big issue will be business succession plans. If they are profitable, chances are there is a plan for someone to carry it forward. Family, investors, whoever. In that case machining talent is still out there to be had, especially in the Rust Belt. No problems there.

As to the optical side of the business .... no Apprentice has ever been publicly discussed that I know of. That doesn't mean there is not one, but if there is it appears to be a pretty big secret.

Compare that to Tele Vue's Ethos Background page: "Following Tele Vue's philosophy of pushing the state of the art, long-time Tele Vue employee and optical design protégé Paul Dellechiaie took up the challenge and designed the basic eyepiece form. Under Al's guidance, Paul tweaked his design to fulfill the original goals."

If Al Nagler accidentally steps in front of the beer truck tomorrow, it's pretty clear there will be talent on hand to continue the tradition.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6075479 - 09/11/13 04:24 PM

Al Nagler passed operation of the company to his son, David. David is really the face of Tele Vue now. Al gets to bask in the adulation of his fans. I'm not so sure about Astro-Physics. If there's an heir apparent to Roland, he/she hasn't been mentioned in the A-P discussion groups. Howard Hedlund and George Whitney are also "up there" in years, so they're not likely successors. Roland has suggested several times that he will eventually retire. I suppose it all depends upon how much fun he continues to have.

Christopher Erickson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: Calypte]
      #6076074 - 09/11/13 11:18 PM

I read somewhere that AP currently has 31 employees. Also that their goal is to have zero wait time for mounts. Refractors will be a sideline due to the difficulty in getting a consistently-reliable source for quality glass.

I know that it is very important to Marj and Roland that AP continue on after they are gone so even though we don't know what the plan is, I am confident that they have one.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #6076167 - 09/12/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere that AP currently has 31 employees. Also that their goal is to have zero wait time for mounts. Refractors will be a sideline due to the difficulty in getting a consistently-reliable source for quality glass.

I know that it is very important to Marj and Roland that AP continue on after they are gone so even though we don't know what the plan is, I am confident that they have one.

I don't recall reading the number of A-P employees anywhere, but I'm sure your number is good. Roland has said essentially what you've said here about the availability of mounts & scopes. He's said explicitly that he now considers himself to be a mount manufacturer, with scopes as a sideline. I'm actually a bit surprised that there are still waiting lists for mounts, since Roland has said his goal is to have them available off-the-shelf. It has happened briefly during the past two years, but he's not quite there yet. As for scopes, Roland's attitude is, if you don't want to wait 10 years, then feel free to go to other makes. I think he's weary of hearing complaints about the long waits. He has specifically endorsed TEC scopes.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#6076268 - 09/12/13 01:55 AM

Quote:

He has specifically endorsed TEC scopes.

I was just curious if you have a source for that? Not that I doubt it, I know they're friends and I enjoy Roland's occasional contributions to the TEC Yahoo group.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: mark8888]
      #6076282 - 09/12/13 02:36 AM

Roland told me and others on Amart that the TEC scopes were as good as his. He endorsed buying one if you were not willing or unable to wait for one of his.
Blueman
Quote:

Quote:

I was just curious if you have a source for that? Not that I doubt it, I know they're friends and I enjoy Roland's occasional contributions to the TEC Yahoo group.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: blueman]
      #6076286 - 09/12/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

Roland told me and others on Amart that the TEC scopes were as good as his. He endorsed buying one if you were not willing or unable to wait for one of his.
Blueman
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you! Nice to hear.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: mark8888]
      #6076311 - 09/12/13 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Roland's comment July 18, 2012 in the ap-ug group: "Yuri at TEC delivers a top notch product, second to none. If you can get one, don't hesitate."

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: blueman]
      #6076413 - 09/12/13 06:49 AM

Quote:

Blueman
Quote:

Quote:

He also told me in person at NEAF that TEC scopes were just as good as his.

You might have to wait a year for one of Yuri's beauties, but that's better than 10 years.

I am quite satisfied with my TEC 140 and I'll probably keep it -- even if I get a notification from A-P...... someday.

Ron

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#6076644 - 09/12/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Roland has suggested several times that he will eventually retire. I suppose it all depends upon how much fun he continues to have.

And 25 years ago Ed Byers wrote he was going to retire. He told me personnaly two years ago he was still going to retire.

Well, we'll see.

I hope they both stick around for some time. Great people.

Jeff

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Astro Physics Future new [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6076669 - 09/12/13 10:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My new AP1600GTO is being delivered Monday.

Now that is exciting!

Yep it is!... Back from the depths of telescope on the observatory floor.

WOW ! Super Hi-Tech Stuff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1825

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics