Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ?
      #6121845 - 10/07/13 08:13 AM

Hello all,I am just curious about the difference between the Celestron CG5 Advanced and the Atlas EQ-G?

Actually I already have a CG5 Advanced and looking to possibly upgrade and am considering the Atlas. I want to use it for my Celestron CR150 HD6 refractor and at times maybe my Meade 10" f/6.3. I have heard of people using it with a 10" yet I also want to do imaging with it using my DSLR. I know that you may say that you would be better off with a CGE or somthing like that,yet money is an issue here. I would like to here from any of you that possibly has the Atlas EQG mount and if you have imaged with a 10" SCT mounted on it.
I would like to say Thanks for your time and possible advice on the subject.

Edited by tim57064 (10/07/13 08:35 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: tim57064]
      #6121854 - 10/07/13 08:22 AM

There's someone in the local astro-group here in Singapore who is imaging with an M10 and Atlas. Permanent pier. Results are acceptable, but not something you'd mistake for something from a higher-end mount.

That said, the M10 is heavier than even the C11, so you're both overloading the mount and using a heavier-than-necessary tube.

proteus5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #6121861 - 10/07/13 08:30 AM

Here's a couple shots using my Meade 10" f/10 on the Atlas. I'm just starting out using the 10" sct after a year using an 80ed, so I'm sure they could be better. I'm still working on perfecting guiding and polar alignment at the longer focal length. If you're just starting AP I wouldn't start with the 10". It's better to learn the ropes with a smaller shorter focal length setup. Hope this helps. I've never used a Celestron mount so I can't comment on those.

Edited by proteus5 (10/07/13 08:36 AM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: proteus5]
      #6122013 - 10/07/13 09:58 AM

well same weight capacity @40lbs, the CGEM is about the same, and the CGEM-DX carried 10lbs more (50lbs) for $500.00 more. Just a thought to keep in mind if ever want to add more weight,
Kasey

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6122024 - 10/07/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Hello all,I am just curious about the difference between the Celestron CG5 Advanced and the Atlas EQ-G?

The Atlas weighs twice as much and can probably handle twice the load.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6122066 - 10/07/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

There's someone in the local astro-group here in Singapore who is imaging with an M10 and Atlas. Permanent pier. Results are acceptable, but not something you'd mistake for something from a higher-end mount.

And yet...and yet... Many Atlas users are taking images that are easily the equal of those done by people who spent for much more expensive mounts. Ground truth? What still matters most is the man or woman behind the camera, not the mount's pedigree.

And, yes, a Meade 10 will do fine on the Atlas. Personally, I think a C8 is still a very good solution, however. Unless you are going after small targets, you get that generous field, and the OTA will not stress your mount whether it is an EQ-6 or a G11 or a shake-your-money-maker.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6122773 - 10/07/13 03:33 PM

The Atlas is a better mount, especially if you're considering imaging. Make the addition of EQMOD and you make a good mount better.

Having said that, I'm in the camp that the CG5-GT is the best $600 goto mount that's ever been produced. I have one that I use for outreach stuff and it fits the bill perfectly. Do a 2+4 alignment and you're good for the rest of the evening. And I way overloaded it with a 10" Meade with crayford and finder scope. That combination took four 11 pound counterweights and would put objects in the eyepiece no matter the side of the meridian. Mind you, this is purely visual, but still, it shows that a relatively inexpensive mount can serve you well.

David

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6122824 - 10/07/13 03:51 PM

Amen. For visual, especially with a C8, the CG5 fraking rules.

Transmographied

#6123321 - 10/07/13 06:28 PM

I just set up my CG5 with my brand new $59 4" Celestron refractor and it was nice just having to use ONE counterweight. Time to give the scope its check ride!

David

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
      #6123445 - 10/07/13 07:32 PM

Quote:

Amen. For visual, especially with a C8, the CG5 fraking rules.

My CG-5 is 10 years old, and with a fair polar alignment and 2 additional calibration stars it puts objects near the center of the eyepiece all night long. And I never thought it unduly burdened with my C9.25" for visual--I can well imagine it supporting the C11 for visual.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: proteus5]
      #6123449 - 10/07/13 07:33 PM

I love your blue snowball. One of the most lovely objects. Some day...

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: Stelios]
      #6123758 - 10/07/13 10:50 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. I just noticed one,Atlas eq-g ,for sale yesterday and when I went to check it out today again,it was already sold.. I guess the old saying applies,"You snooze you lose", and I did,lose out on a good deal.

Transmographied

#6123764 - 10/07/13 10:54 PM

Well, I just came in from my C102's first light. Nice little refractor! But the real reason for the post is to reinforce just how good the ole' CG5 is. I plopped it in the backyard pointing it where I thought north would be. The first alignment star, Arcturus, wasn't even close. No surprise. The second star, Vega was closer but still out of the FOV. First Cal star was close, but out of the FOV. The second cal star was dead center! The third and fourth were centered and it was off to the races.

First object was M31. There it was, so I thought I'd see how well it would do on the other side of the meridian. I punched up M13 and it was centered.

Not bad for just putting it in a spot and doing an alignment. A good mount, that one!

David

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

#6123779 - 10/07/13 11:05 PM

David,Thanks for your reply. I do like My CG5 advanced mount. I just would like it to be a little more robust so as to handle my Meade 10" for when I want to use it for imaging. I have the 10" on an LX200 mount at the moment yet would love to be able to do some long exposure imaging with it,especially now that I am now building my observatory.

I also think that my CR150 HD6 Refractor would benefit a larger mount as it weighs more than my 8se ota. I have used my 8 se on the CG5 and like that combination. I have no intention on getting rid of the CG5 mount.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6123870 - 10/07/13 11:54 PM

The Atlas is heavier, carries a larger payload more stably, costs a lot more, is and much quieter when slewing and tracking.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6123873 - 10/07/13 11:57 PM

Agreed. The C8 is the perfect payload for the CG5. It's almost as if the CG5 was patterned after a mount developed specifically with the C8 in mind.

- Jim

Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
      #6123886 - 10/08/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Well, I just came in from my C102's first light. Nice little refractor! But the real reason for the post is to reinforce just how good the ole' CG5 is. I plopped it in the backyard pointing it where I thought north would be. The first alignment star, Arcturus, wasn't even close. No surprise. The second star, Vega was closer but still out of the FOV. First Cal star was close, but out of the FOV. The second cal star was dead center! The third and fourth were centered and it was off to the races.

First object was M31. There it was, so I thought I'd see how well it would do on the other side of the meridian. I punched up M13 and it was centered.

Not bad for just putting it in a spot and doing an alignment. A good mount, that one!

David

David,

Do you have at least the same level of GOTO precision with the Atlas Eq G on both parts of the meridian after callibrating with only 2 or 3 stars and only pointing to north(not even using the polar scope)?

Transmographied

Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6123905 - 10/08/13 12:17 AM

Quote:

The Atlas is heavier, carries a larger payload more stably, costs a lot more, is and much quieter when slewing and tracking.

Regards,

Jim

That the Atlas is quieter is an understatement! The CG5 sounds like a thrashing machine compared to the Atlas.

David

Transmographied

#6123910 - 10/08/13 12:19 AM

You will definately have a better mount with an Atlas. I would guess that it has a better native PE than the CG5 and your 10" Meade won't stress it.

David

Transmographied

Re: Atlas EQ G compared to Celestron CG5 Advanced ? new [Re: Moromete]
      #6123918 - 10/08/13 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

David

David,

Do you have at least the same level of GOTO precision with the Atlas Eq G on both parts of the meridian after callibrating with only 2 or 3 stars and only pointing to north(not even using the polar scope)?

My first GEM was an Atlas and while the alignment in that hand controller only allowed for 3 stars, the gotos were alway good. But it was only good if I used all three stars. The third star corrected for cone error and that's important.

Where Celestron's hand controller wins the day is the All Star Polar Alignment routine.

David

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 584

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics