Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jhayes_tucson
sage

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
Re: Celestron CGE Mount "Odd Sound" Diagnosis... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6137195 - 10/14/13 02:38 PM

Quote:

John, did you simply loosen the four 2mm allen screws on each motor to gain access? Taking a peek at my gears is on my to-do list for weekend after next.

- Jim

Jim,
Yes, just remove the four button head, hex screws on the covers. It's a bit tight but you can pretty much get at everything you need to add a little bit of grease. To clean it, you would need to take apart more of it and I didn't go there. Have some Q-tips available to clean things but be careful not to catch any cotton fibers in the gears. It's pretty easy to dab a bit of grease in the gears and then run the motor to spread the grease between the teeth. I like to use wire-ties for applying the grease. Neatness counts so just use as much grease as you need without leaving big gobs everywhere. It's not very hard. I should mention that you can't really get at the shaft bearings this way. If your noise is coming from the bearings, you are probably going to have to get them replaced. Good luck with it.
John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Celestron CGE Mount "Odd Sound" Diagnosis... new [Re: jhayes_tucson]
      #6159431 - 10/26/13 04:07 PM

Okay, so I opened it up this morning and...

The worm and big bronze gear have a neat and tidy coating of white lithium grease on them. This led me to poke around to try and figure out where the golden dino-oil on the white foam in the case for the mount head was coming from. On closer inspection it looks like there's a little bit of golden grease pooled in the corners of the housing that appear to have come from the teeth of the little silver-colored gear set (two identical gears) on the end of the motor and end of the worm assembly.

The tooth-to-tooth contact is now bone-dry. My question is this - should there be grease on the teeth of these small gears? Also, if so, why would Celestron use two different kinds of grease in the motor train?

Thanks!

- Jim

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron CGE Mount "Odd Sound" Diagnosis... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6159537 - 10/26/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Okay, so I opened it up this morning and...

The worm and big bronze gear have a neat and tidy coating of white lithium grease on them. This led me to poke around to try and figure out where the golden dino-oil on the white foam in the case for the mount head was coming from. On closer inspection it looks like there's a little bit of golden grease pooled in the corners of the housing that appear to have come from the teeth of the little silver-colored gear set (two identical gears) on the end of the motor and end of the worm assembly.

The tooth-to-tooth contact is now bone-dry. My question is this - should there be grease on the teeth of these small gears? Also, if so, why would Celestron use two different kinds of grease in the motor train?

Thanks!

- Jim

The I am not sure what the white grease is, but it is not lithium. The petroleum based gunk is from everywhere else in the mount, the needle roller bearings, the taper bearings, the spur gears (small silver stainless steel gears) and everywhere else. There is usually a substantial over abundance of this stuff and it tends to separate and run out of the mount from all over the place and make a mess. That's the gold oil you see. Warm temperature definitely contributes to this.

Why Celestron used two different types of grease in this case (they don't do it anywhere else) is hard to say, but the white stuff definitely stays put better then the dino-oil. The worm and wheel surfaces may look pretty dry due to the relatively tight fit, but ideally they should have small amount of lubricant left on the teeth faces. The spur gears also need very little lubrication.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Celestron CGE Mount "Odd Sound" Diagnosis... new [Re: EFT]
      #6159610 - 10/26/13 06:14 PM

Thanks Ed.

I'm going to use a headlamp and jeweler's loupe to see if there's any lubricant at all on the facings of the spur gear teeth. From afar it really looks dry. And yep, this particular mount has seen high heat, high elevation and extremely arid environments, as well as the usual (for here) more moist sea level maritime climate.

Regards,

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 905

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics