Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6148084 - 10/20/13 09:39 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks
There is one advantage to a stepper often over looked. When overloaded a stepper will just sit and try and step with no ill efects. The servor will draw more current until something spills it's magic blue smoke.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6148145 - 10/20/13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Kasey-

So early this morning I tried using my C8 on the CGEM with my Mallincam Extreme and I did not guide. Conclusion is you can probably get 60s - 90s without too much trouble if you bother to decently polar align.

Let me add that 60 - 90-seconds with a very sensitive Mallincam is about the maximum exposure for most peoples' skies. My most used exposure with the Mallincam Xtreme is 14-seconds, and my max is usually 30, and this is from fairly dark sites including the Chiefland Astronomy Village...

Also, most video users are not obsessed with pretty pictures. We want to go deep and see lots of detail, and off-round stars once in a while are simply not a big deal for most of us.

Take your pick, CGEM or Atlas; both will do just fine. You may find the Celestron's hand control and alignment system easier to use, however.

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: Stew57]
      #6148158 - 10/20/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

I stand corrected. Thanks
There is one advantage to a stepper often over looked. When overloaded a stepper will just sit and try and step with no ill efects. The servor will draw more current until something spills it's magic blue smoke.

Or a plastic gear which i believe the celestron motors actually have.At least the cg5 ones do.
So when it comes to a situation like this, if we are lucky enough the gear will break before the motor rests in peace.

Edited by Mike X. (10/20/13 10:32 AM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6148170 - 10/20/13 10:34 AM

Hey Al,
Thank you very very very much for the time and effort you put forth in doing that. I was wondering if it could be slightly off on polar align?? The trails or egg shapes look pretty consistent (have no clue what cogging or 8/3 error would look like ),, and just a heads up.. I have a question to Team Celestron on the cogging and 8/3. Derick answered the cogging and says they have a firmware fix ready to roll out to fix it. The 8/3 no answer yet but from all I gather not too sure that will be addressed in the near future as probably will require motor/gear change...
I don't think the 8/3 can be fixed with PEC from what I can gather from people above my pay grade. You might want to check that answer in T/C I posted on cogging tho and get the firmware fix.... One thing is for sure, if they do address the 8/3 their will be a 99.999999% chance there will be an upgrade for older mounts ,,, Thank you so much again Al, is much appreciated,
Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6148180 - 10/20/13 10:38 AM

Thank you Mark,
I think with your patience I am finally able to wrap my head around the stepper/servo issue.. That really makes sense now . Thank you, Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6151903 - 10/22/13 03:35 PM

A FYI from Derik on CGEM vs CGEM-DX motors, electronics, gears , etc.
""It used to be that the CGEM and the CGEM had different electronics. But as of some time last year, all CGEM's have the updated electronics. So nowadays, the biggest differences is the Tripod, and the longer clutch knobs.""'
Kasey

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6151923 - 10/22/13 03:44 PM

Quote:

A FYI from Derik on CGEM vs CGEM-DX motors, electronics, gears , etc.
"It used to be that the CGEM and the CGEM had different electronics. But as of some time last year, all CGEM's have the updated electronics. So nowadays, the biggest differences is the Tripod, and the longer clutch knobs."

Plus a much longer, thicker & heavier counterweight shaft (1.25" diameter vs what, 3/4" or 7/8"?) and heavier counterweights.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6151976 - 10/22/13 04:10 PM

Yes and now trying to decide on DX or just CGEM???? Right now using a C 9.25 & have Orion ST SSAG and crayford & VSS+/ probably max weight 30#, right now using it on a CG-5 (this is to be my travel mount). Could possibly see getting a VRC @ about 18# down the road... Right now doing Video but don't want to not be able to do DSLR or CCD as I have in the past,,,, so not wanting overkill, but wanting enough ,,, Kasey

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
      #6152003 - 10/22/13 04:30 PM

Kasey,here is my 2 cents for what they worth.

Consider also the weight of the mount.
If you are going to use the CGEM DX permanently mounted, that's ok, but if you are going to assemble it and dissasemble it every time....hmm i think it's a beast.

I believe for video astronomy the CGEM or the NEQ6/AZEQ6 are more than enough for your C9.

Edited by Mike X. (10/22/13 04:32 PM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: Mike X.]
      #6152058 - 10/22/13 05:05 PM

Thannk you Mike,
I would use the JMI wheely bar I have. I bought it when I was using my CPC, it really is nice. From all I can gather sense last year they are identical x-cept the diameter of tri-pod legs. I have read some of the other brand mounts that that is a complaint, weak legs. I don't think Celestron has had that problem,, Kasey

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6152106 - 10/22/13 05:45 PM

I routinely set up and break down my CGEM DX. IMO it's not that much of a beast to deal with, really. There's a reason that the tripod, mount, and counterweight shaft come apart and are manageable weights.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: dpippel]
      #6152110 - 10/22/13 05:48 PM

I can carry my CGEM with the mount already on the tripod out as a single unit. I add weights then ota. Doubt I could carry the DX tripod with the head already mounted. Would make another trip and having to mount the head on the tripod.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #6152167 - 10/22/13 06:20 PM

Here is a solution that worked for me: http://www.scoperoller.com/casters.shtml

Though I don't see a CGEM DX set listed, unless the Celestron HD tripod he calls out is the right one. If it looks like a potential solution for you you could contact him. I've talked with him and he's pretty flexible.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6152220 - 10/22/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

I can carry my CGEM with the mount already on the tripod out as a single unit. I add weights then ota. Doubt I could carry the DX tripod with the head already mounted. Would make another trip and having to mount the head on the tripod.

Yep I do the exact same thing. And yeah the DX tripod is a LOT heavier. I would break it down if I had a DX, but it is still manageable.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: mich_al]
      #6152231 - 10/22/13 06:47 PM

Thats what I like about the Jmi Wheelybar, its a tripod looking thing and I put some boards across the bottom so have a small tray thats good for accessories etc, just wheel it out with all in one swoop,, but I view from my driveway.. They do make some for rough terrain tho.
Mark, can I ask what you run on your CGEM as far as weight?
Kasey

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6152256 - 10/22/13 06:59 PM

From a light weight AT6RC to a C11hd with Celestron guidescope 2 mallincams and meade dsipro.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/mstew57/SSA%20mounter%20to%20CGEM/P1...

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6152601 - 10/22/13 10:22 PM

i think hoping to use a DSLR (which implies long exposures) with a C9 on a CGEM is.. optimistic. You would definitely need to guide, and even then would probably be bedeviled by oblong stars. 2350mm is long.

I have a C9 and had a CGEM. The few times I tried prime focus with the C9 on the CGEM, even with guiding, the results weren't pretty.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6152622 - 10/22/13 10:35 PM

No wonder I coiuld not find my thank-you/ posted it in wrong forum LOL...

""Well I pulled the trigger and went with the CGEM,,,,, and yes, ordered SS also I know still has kinks but will be resolved... I want to thank everyone for their time input experience expertise insights etc. ,, Will post a couple pics and see what its capable of unguided,, hopefully have a very good line number ,, Once again, thank you all,,
Kasey""

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6152658 - 10/22/13 10:53 PM

Live video is more forgiving but yes guiding will be a must at those FL, unless you like a lot of comets in your images.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
      #6152942 - 10/23/13 04:32 AM

Worked with a brand new CGEM for 4 years and never had an issue... Upgraded to a CGE to carry my 18 kilograms of refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3434

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics