Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JonNPR
sage

Reged: 03/04/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Twilight I Or Vixen Porta II? new [Re: JMZM]
      #6157497 - 10/25/13 01:37 PM

Ok, just about ready to order, mount is due here on Monday - so last question: is about weight and length. Obviously, this is my first encounter with these options, and I appreciate very much for your help, guys!

For an f10 C102GT long tube, on the Twilight I mount, should I be concerned about the weight of the plate and does its length make a difference in stability/shakes?

I saw a universal 7" that is 10 oz, but pricey with shipping. The Orion universal 13" - twice as heavy? Didn't see the weight on their page.

Advantages to longer or shorter plate?

Thanks!

Jon

Edited by JonNPR (10/25/13 02:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Re: Twilight I Or Vixen Porta II? new [Re: JonNPR]
      #6159153 - 10/26/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

Ok, just about ready to order, mount is due here on Monday - so last question: is about weight and length. Obviously, this is my first encounter with these options, and I appreciate very much for your help, guys!

For an f10 C102GT long tube, on the Twilight I mount, should I be concerned about the weight of the plate and does its length make a difference in stability/shakes?

I saw a universal 7" that is 10 oz, but pricey with shipping. The Orion universal 13" - twice as heavy? Didn't see the weight on their page.

Advantages to longer or shorter plate?

Thanks!

Jon

Jon, I don't see an advantage to the longer one as it has more weight for the mount to bear. You'll need to slide the OTA forward or back in the rings to achieve proper balance in either case.

The angular Vixen plate is quite limited as far as sliding it for-aft on the mount. And pay attention how your rings bolt up to the plate. If the ring's boltholes are on center, the plate sold by Orion will not accommodate them as the plate's center bar is flush with the mount's saddle plate.

JonNPR
sage

Re: Twilight I Or Vixen Porta II? new [Re: DavidNealMinnick]
      #6159207 - 10/26/13 01:38 PM

Thanks David. I will find out next Saturday, when that Orion plate is due. Saw that I had enough points on Amazon for the Universal version yesterday, before reading your post.

Jon

JonNPR
sage

#6160784 - 10/27/13 01:56 PM

David, in case the plate I ordered doesn't fit, as you described, what model do you suggest that will ?

Thanks -

Jon

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

#6160841 - 10/27/13 02:18 PM

Jon, if you're getting a Vixen/Celestron-style plate it will fit the mount. My concern was regarding ring bolt pattern/dovetail plate hole pattern compatiblility, and how it will effect the plate's ability to slide fore-aft on the mount. You'll see what I mean when it arrives, and if unworkable ADM has one that will.

JonNPR
sage

Re: Twilight I Or Vixen Porta II? new [Re: DavidNealMinnick]
      #6161113 - 10/27/13 05:19 PM

Yes, the ring bolt fit mention is what got me concerned reading your note. Not to mention the length. I had been thinking about adjustability for balance, given my 2"" diagonal, low power weighty EPs, and an 8x50 finder and rings.

Will find out late this week and go from there. Thanks again for your informative replies.

Jon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1069

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics