Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: tonyt]
      #6160245 - 10/27/13 06:16 AM

Quote:

The length of that Mewlon makes it look like a monster on the T-Rex Heinz. Personally I would use some counterweight.

Mounting the tube is much easier with a Losmandy style dovetail and saddle. The lower edge of the dovetail rests in the lower jaw of the saddle while you reach over the tube to tighten the saddle knobs, holding the tube against your chest with one arm.
It would be nice to dispense with the weight of the Tak mounting plate and replace it with a Losmandy dovetail if you can adapt it to the rings - you could get two flat bars made up to mate the end of the dovetail to the Tak rings.

Alternatively you could try having the rings the other way around so they close at the top and you can see the knob when closing the rings and tightening them - that might be easy enough.

I too like to have the tube ring locking knob on top, it is a safety feature, when underneath the scope should it be left loose and get bumped the scope can fall, whereas when the knobs are on top they will stay in place even if loosened.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6160251 - 10/27/13 06:26 AM

Quote:

Update Sat 26.Oct. 2:15 a.m.: We just had a rather scary earthquake, a very long one, 2-3 min. I jumped up and only had one thing in mind: to keep the T-Rex with my new Mewlon from toppling over. Fortunately the earthquake stayed mid level and did not get really dangerous. Tomorrow I'll take the scopes down. If a stronger one comes, in the worst case I could be killed in my sleep when a scope crushes my head. Not the worst death for an amateur astronomer, is it?

Heinz,

A 2-3 minutes (!) long earthquake is a very serious thing. It must be like an endless time...

Beside of the risk of toppling over a mounted telescope, I ask myself about further possible risks on delicate optical equipment like lenses or mirrors. Thinking on strong and brutal vibrations or shock peaks during an earthquake, I think it might be a good idea to permanently put some thick layers of cushioning/dampening material (for example like the closed-cell one as used for outdoor insulating mats) under each tip of the tripod which bears an OTA (when not in use), or under each OTA case.

The idea behind this is to break down any dangerous shock peaks and to cushion the optical equipment from excessive vibration during such a long earthquake.
Some additional safety measures like securing the mounted OTA's to the wall by elastic rubber strings might be a good idea too, in order to protect them from toppling over.

Are telescope owners in earthquake-plagued Japan considering similar measures?

Stephan

Kunama
professor emeritus

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #6160257 - 10/27/13 06:39 AM

Heinz we here in Australia do not have severe earthquakes, so ..........
I think it would be safer for your scopes if you pack them up and send them to me here in Canberra. I will of course keep you posted on how they are performing and you are free and welcome to visit them any time.
Maybe start by sending my the CN212 first. !!!

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: Kunama]
      #6160329 - 10/27/13 08:31 AM

I just saw an ioptron eq45 and it was holding up a TeleVue np101. That seemed like a good match and I think the mewlon would be undermounted, specs aside.

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: tonyt]
      #6161379 - 10/27/13 07:51 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Quote:

The length of that Mewlon makes it look like a monster on the T-Rex Heinz. Personally I would use some counterweight.

Alternatively you could try having the rings the other way around so they close at the top and you can see the knob when closing the rings and tightening them - that might be easy enough.

Thank you for the suggestions. The following is my way of mounting the M250 right now. I marked the legs to be able to reproduce the tilt exactly next time.The knobs are up. It works quite well.
Turning the OTA around was a good idea. see the fourth picture, the balance is better. Instead of a counterweight, I tilted the setup a little towards the mount side, see the ends of the legs in the fourth picture. As I am only looking into one direction out of the window, this works. Of course, outside where I want to swing the OTA around, this would be dangerous.
I also found I can attach the handle at the outside away from the mount, so it does not get into the way and hit it, see last picture.
Yes, it would indeed be nice to get rid of the heavy mounting plate. I'll talk to Miyazaki-san about it at my local telescope shop. He can certainly come up with some smart solution. He is a handyman.

Heinz

Ryuno
sage

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: gillmj24]
      #6161417 - 10/27/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

I just saw an ioptron eq45 and it was holding up a TeleVue np101. That seemed like a good match and I think the mewlon would be undermounted, specs aside.

I'll try the iEQ45 with a CN-212 today in the shop. I believe you are right. For the Mewlon, it would be undermounting. Not so with the T-Rex. I did first light last night and it was fine.

Heinz

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
      #6161750 - 10/28/13 01:20 AM

You're scaring people with those photo's Heinz
One other essential piece of equipment you need is an air mattress (and maybe a few cushions).

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #6161783 - 10/28/13 02:02 AM

Hmmm... Heinz, how about a AOK AYOmaster alt/az mount from AOK Swiss?

Stephan

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #6161863 - 10/28/13 04:45 AM

I've just taken delivery of an IEQ45 but am only considering mounting a 4" - 5" refractor on it.

vskylark

Reged: 07/22/13

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: timps]
      #6224767 - 11/30/13 08:58 AM

Hello Heinz,

I received my Mewlon 250CRS last week and am anxious to get it outside. A couple more pieces and I'll be there. What is the part number of the accessory plate your rings are mounted on? I want it on a dovetail plate, but am struggling to find the right accessor(y/ies). Everything I found that mounts the rings directly or with an adapter has the wrong spacing for the top plate, which I want to use. Does the plate your rings are mounted on have threads to facilitate connection to a dovetail plate?

Also, I love that that handle, where did you get it?

Thanks in advance,

Mark V

Ryuno
sage

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: vskylark]
      #6225734 - 11/30/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

Hello Heinz,

I received my Mewlon 250CRS last week and am anxious to get it outside. A couple more pieces and I'll be there. What is the parft number of the accessory plate your rings are mounted on? I want it on a dovetail plate, but am struggling to find the right accessor(y/ies). Everything I found that mounts the rings directly or with an adapter has the wrong spacing for the top plate, which I want to use. Does the plate your rings are mounted on have threads to facilitate connection to a dovetail plate?

Also, I love that that handle, where did you get it?

Thanks in
Mark V

Hello Mark.
First of all, congratulations with your new Mewlon. Which mounting rings are you using,not the Takahashi ones? The plate I am using came as part of a set for mounting theM250. The plate has, as you can see on the picture, a variety of holes, some of which are threaded. I'll send you the brochure. And also the part no., as soon as I get home again, I will mark the threaded holes. However, the plate is a little heavy. There might be lighter possibilities out there. But to not much lighter I'm afraid.
The handle you can buy here: www.kkohki.com

For now all the best.
Heinz

Kunama
professor emeritus

#6225876 - 11/30/13 08:34 PM

Mark,
Have you thought of the Robin Casady Wide Plate for M250S with the 8" saddle it would be my choice for quality, weight saving. Robin is not making them anymore but has some stock left on his website.

Cheers,

vskylark

Re: Mewlon 250 CRS - iEQ45 or T-Rex? new [Re: Kunama]
      #6226141 - 11/30/13 11:16 PM

Heinz,

Thank you for the reply and info. I bought my Mewlon from TNR (US distributor) but didn't get that plate. I spoke to Art about my mounting dilemma (no pun intended). He said he'd get back to me but hasn't yet, likely due to the US holiday. I thought it was odd not getting anything to mount the rings to considering their width being much wider than most typical plates.

Matt,

I have looked at the Robin Casady products. The Large Takahashi plate would cleanly mount the rings but the 180mm front to rear spacing is too short. The top plate screw holes measure what looks like 240mm or 9.5" on center.

I tried the AP adapter blocks but they are either a little too short, a lot too short, or a little too long depending on the orientation. I can use them, but would prefer a cleaner solution. The plate in Heinz's photo is likely what I need to get what I'm after. I'm experimenting with an AP SPD16 dovetail plate for use in an AP DOVELM162 saddle. With the AP SBDTB I can mount the rings and OTA, but not use the top plate.

I've mentioned a lot of part numbers not to overwhelm with info, but to hopefully help others that might find themselves in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance (Heinz) for the additional info/part numbers. Once I'm settled in with my final config I'll post a pic.

Good day to all,

Mark V

vskylark

#6226537 - 12/01/13 08:45 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here are a couple pics to show the current mount arrangement using the AP adapter blocks. Top shot shows how one orientation of the adapter blocks spaces the front and rear ring too far apart, which is best if I can't use the top plate. The top plate installed only for reference in the photo. The second shot shows a closer view of the AP adapter.

vskylark

#6226543 - 12/01/13 08:52 AM

It looks so small in the photos. That's a 16" X 5" X 1" AP dovetail plate.

Ryuno
sage

#6227671 - 12/01/13 06:26 PM

Hi Mark

I just sent you a PM with some info.

Heinz

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1707

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics