Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Skyshooter
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/07/08

Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.
Re: Losmandy Mount GM8 + Other Goto's new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6182497 - 11/08/13 09:09 AM

bdg...
I have a GM8 that I purchased about 6 years ago. It was the plain jane model w/o Gemini goto, only push to. I purchased it this way due to my economic situation. Since then I have upgraded the mount to Gemini II. I, like you, perused the online reviews and forums trying to filter out information that would allow me to make an informed decision. The Gemini 2 and Losmandy Yahoo groups are a good place to start.
I will tell you that I am very pleased with my mount for numerous reasons. There is a learning curve which Gemini-2.com will help you with.
The GM8 is a lightweight well engineered mount that is very well suited for portable use. I take mine out to the mountains quite frequently in the summer time. Now that I have the setup procedure down I get accurate slews with only using three stars to calibrate the mount model. Using more stars will result in better slews but it's not necessary for my work.
Good luck on your mount shopping. Its a very personal thing and the good ones don't come cheap. Do your homework and I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision for years to come.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 715

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics