Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: nomosnow]
      #6265524 - 12/21/13 03:43 PM Attachment (154 downloads)

Another graph..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
      #6265532 - 12/21/13 03:45 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

And finally the text file which I have no clue as to how to read it?

PRejto

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #6273078 - 12/26/13 03:30 AM

The only comment I might risk making is that an imaging scale of 2 arc-sec seems at odds with trying to achieve sub arc-sec resolution. Perhaps this works OK, but when I go after PEC with my MX I image at .6 arc-sec. PEMpro reports my corrected PEC well below 1 arc-sec but this value seems to change somewhat with actual seeing at the time of measurement, just as will collecion of data for PE correction.

Edited by PRejto (12/26/13 03:32 AM)

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: PRejto]
      #6304183 - 01/10/14 01:08 PM

It would appear that the CEM60 is starting to show up on dealer websites.

This webpage from Anacortes is interesting as the price is in RED, with a annotation that it may change once shipping commences?

http://www.buytelescopes.com/ioptron-cem60-center-balanced-equatorial-mount

The reason rumored appears to be that iOptron, in their efforts to guarantee a PEC of 5 arc-seconds p-p are discarding lots of worm sets that do not meet their quality standard.

In the final analysis, that information really appeals to me and the majority of the consumers, who just want what is advertised. If it means a few $$ more at retail, it will be worth it.

Cheers...Paul

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6304311 - 01/10/14 02:04 PM

CEM60 7200 (no encoder) is also on OPT listed as preorder at same price.

Fudgie

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: rkayakr]
      #6304322 - 01/10/14 02:09 PM

telescop-express.de has the base version with a 1-3 week delivery time and a price of 2.029,41 EUR.

tazer

Reged: 12/22/11

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Fudgie]
      #6304820 - 01/10/14 07:12 PM

Quote:

In the final analysis, that information really appeals to me and the majority of the consumers, who just want what is advertised. If it means a few $$ more at retail, it will be worth it.

Couldn't agree more. I'm in the market for a mount and hearing that a manufacturer is doing this kind of QA instills confidence in a potential customer.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: tazer]
      #6304948 - 01/10/14 08:21 PM

I just now received an email from iOptron indicating that the CEM60 will land in LA between the 15th and the 20th, and will be shipped from there upon arrival and payment.

I'd better start unbolting the iEQ45 from the tripod and get it packed away in its case... Although I have been thinking about purchasing a iOptron pier and putting it on a dolly for easy in and out of the garage use.

I think I'll spend the first hour or so after unpacking just listening to the mount slew..lol.

Regards...Paul

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
      #6305100 - 01/10/14 10:11 PM

I for one wait for the first reports with great anticipation. for many of us, this is our last hope before huge jump to the Mach 1.

My only hesitation is the light weight. I would mount mine in a permanent observatory, so the light with that everyone likes about this mount is a big negative for me. I'd rathe have extra heft for rigidity.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #6305364 - 01/11/14 01:32 AM

Quote:

The reason rumored appears to be ...

What is the source of the rumor? It's funny to talk about a rumor in a thread entitled "not a rumor anymore."

Wembley2000
sage

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #6305698 - 01/11/14 09:01 AM

Quote:

It would appear that the CEM60 is starting to show up on dealer websites.

This webpage from Anacortes is interesting as the price is in RED, with a annotation that it may change once shipping commences?

http://www.buytelescopes.com/ioptron-cem60-center-balanced-equatorial-mount

The reason rumored appears to be that iOptron, in their efforts to guarantee a PEC of 5 arc-seconds p-p are discarding lots of worm sets that do not meet their quality standard.

Cheers...Paul

Paul,

I thought the PE spec was +/- 5 arc sec or 10" p-p.

Wem

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6305731 - 01/11/14 09:21 AM

Quote:

I'll spend the first hour or so after unpacking just listening to the mount slew..lol.

Well if you got a 10micron you could try to do that but you wouldn't hear anything, thats how quiet they are.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6306284 - 01/11/14 02:11 PM

Paul,

I thought the PE spec was +/- 5 arc sec or 10" p-p.

You are absolutely right Wem, I did mean to write + or - 5 arc-seconds, or 10 arc-seconds peak to peak.

Thanks for the correction.

Best...Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

#6306290 - 01/11/14 02:16 PM

Quote:

Well if you got a 10micron you could try to do that but you wouldn't hear anything, thats how quiet they are.

True, but I am addicted to the 'arcade game' sound effects of the CEM 60 slew. I like it.

As a plus, the CEM 60 is several thousand dollars less expensive than a 10 Micron, and includes the polar scope and counterweights.... ;0

Who knows, maybe there will be a software menu button to disable the sound anyway??

Cheers...Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: EFT]
      #6306295 - 01/11/14 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason rumored appears to be ...

What is the source of the rumor? It's funny to talk about a rumor in a thread entitled "not a rumor anymore."

I was just referring to the possibility of a retail price increase, and the reasons for it Ed.

I guess in China, high precision CNC machinery required for producing the small tolerances of the worm are few and far between?

Of course, that's just a rumor...

Cheers...Paul

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
      #6307035 - 01/11/14 08:55 PM

I'm disappointed to see that the $2,500.00 (OPT) price of the CEM60 does not included the price of the tripod, which will be an addition $250 - $300. (depending on source), assuming that the iEQ45 tripod will fit.

Disappointing for me, because I was planning to sell my iEQ45 to fund the CEM60, but I'll have to sell the iEQ45 tripod with that mount, and budget an addition $300.00 for the tripod - so my total will be $2,800.00 +.

(More, of course, because I am in Canada - where the mount alone lists at $2,700.)

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: dvb]
      #6307103 - 01/11/14 09:43 PM

By the time it comes out it will also be more expensive in Canada with the dollar sliding more and more each day..

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: corpusse]
      #6307168 - 01/11/14 10:24 PM

Quote:

I'm disappointed to see that the $2,500.00 (OPT) price of the CEM60 does not included the price of the tripod, which will be an addition $250 - $300. (depending on source), assuming that the iEQ45 tripod will fit.

The CEM60 was designed with a base diameter of 150mm to fit all the existing iOptron iEQ45 tripods and/or piers.

It's much easier to sell the mount, shipping-wise without the tripod. Especially if you have the original boxing or the iOptron pelican type storage case.

It's always a pain to ship a tripod, imho. Just discount the mount an appropriate amount and tell the buyer that he/she will have to provide a tripod.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it..:)

Cheers...Paul

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
      #6307267 - 01/11/14 11:14 PM

BTW, I cited the OPT price only because I couldn't find the CEM60 on the Astronomics site - Odd, given that our esteemed website sponsor is a listed iOptron dealer, and OPT isn't.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: Astronewb]
      #6307332 - 01/11/14 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The CEM60 was designed with a base diameter of 150mm to fit all the existing iOptron iEQ45 tripods and/or piers.

It's much easier to sell the mount, shipping-wise without the tripod. Especially if you have the original boxing or the iOptron pelican type storage case.

It's always a pain to ship a tripod, imho. Just discount the mount an appropriate amount and tell the buyer that he/she will have to provide a tripod.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it..:)

Cheers...Paul

Considering how many people complain about stock tripods because they don't like them, don't need them for a permanent installation, or they want to use a premium tripod, it's not a bad idea to make the mounts available without the tripod automatically included. It just a pain inventory wise. It's surprising that more mounts are not available without the tripod.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17144

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics