Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Falcon-]
      #6195609 - 11/14/13 10:06 PM

I wonder how many CW it will ship with?

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Falcon-]
      #6195679 - 11/14/13 11:03 PM

Looks fantastic - thanks for the pics and write up Paul!

Timm

EdwardMH
journeyman

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Battlefield, Mo
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: timmbottoni]
      #6195730 - 11/14/13 11:36 PM

Dang it I just ordered a CGEM DX life is unfair. LOL Seriously though this looks absolutely wonderful.

Linkage

Reged: 11/01/11

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6195751 - 11/14/13 11:50 PM Attachment (143 downloads)

there is more....

JS999R

Reged: 12/07/11

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Linkage]
      #6195822 - 11/15/13 12:56 AM

Paul, you mentioned the tripod isn't included, does that apply to both retail and upgraded versions, or just the latter? It also sounds like you can use any tripod with the mount, is this true? If one wanted to stick with an iOptron tripod, which makes sense to me, the nod would go to the iEQ45. It's really the only practical tripod available in the traditional tripod design. I know iOptron offers piers with high payload capacity, but they don't seem as versatile as a tripod. I never realized iOptron offers the half pier, just like Orion. Aside from the added weight, I like the half piers, having had them on both my CG5GT and CGEM. I had to remove it from the CGEM due to weight issues. I think the iEQ45 tripod topped by the mini pier would be a nice partner with the new CEM60 mount. However, tack on an additional $248 for the tripod and $138 for the pier and now things are ranging from $248 to close to $400 on the upsell.

I can't determine if this strategy by iOptron is an upsell scenario or does it make sense to sell the mount and tripod separately? For now I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but my cynical side is tugging at me unless persuaded otherwise.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: JS999R]
      #6195844 - 11/15/13 01:16 AM

JS,

I think we will have to wait and see. The mount hasn't been formally released yet, pricing announced, final configurations, etc.

Im looking forward to all the announcements, and field testing, for sure!

Andy

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: JS999R]
      #6195849 - 11/15/13 01:20 AM

AP, Tak, and Bisque all sell the mount naked without any tripod.

Same reasoning I guess - customers will want to choose how much money to spend on the tripod (or spend nothing, if they use a permanent pier).

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6195856 - 11/15/13 01:29 AM

Ditto that thought......Ioptron never struck me as an upsell/bump company.

Andy

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: budman1961]
      #6195871 - 11/15/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

Paul, you mentioned the tripod isn't included, does that apply to both retail and upgraded versions, or just the latter? It also sounds like you can use any tripod with the mount, is this true? If one wanted to stick with an iOptron tripod, which makes sense to me, the nod would go to the iEQ45.

The CEM60 base diameter fits any iEQ45 mounting, tripod, pier and mini pier.

I use the mini pier on my iEQ45 and like it for the reason you mentioned. It's much easier for me to carry it out on the tripod, simply because there aren't any handholds on the full pier since it's a cylinder.

Like others have mentioned, most upper end mount manufacturers sell the mounts without tripods, both to achieve a market price niche, and to satisfy users with observatories with permanent mountings (they don't need a tripod).

Oh, I didn't ask how many counterweights came with the mount. I'm going to say one twenty pound c/w. iOptron didn't bring one in from China due to the baggage weight restrictions and charges, but the standard iEQ45 counterweight fits, and that's probably what will be on the mount in Tucson?

Clear skies....Paul

Linkage

Reged: 11/01/11

#6195878 - 11/15/13 02:07 AM

Standard: 20 lbs x 1

Edited by Linkage (11/15/13 02:08 AM)

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6196025 - 11/15/13 07:17 AM

Quote:

Hi all, I just posted another 21 images to the CEM60 Flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronewb2011/sets/72157637612473584/

Browse away...Paul

I looked carefully at all the photos and see a definite potential problem. Take a look at the photo "DEC cable connected through RA housing." The CGE is notorious for difficulties due to the use of CAT5 cables to carry signal/current to the DEC motor. The problems come from strain on the cable sockets. The iOptron looks especially prone to this difficulty because of the close 90° bending of these DEC cables.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6196099 - 11/15/13 08:42 AM

It looks like they have put an end to tracking past the meridian with extreme prejudice. Again, it seems to me to be an innovative solution to a non-problem.

-Rich

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6196428 - 11/15/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

I looked carefully at all the photos and see a definite potential problem. Take a look at the photo "DEC cable connected through RA housing." The CGE is notorious for difficulties due to the use of CAT5 cables to carry signal/current to the DEC motor. The problems come from strain on the cable sockets. The iOptron looks especially prone to this difficulty because of the close 90° bending of these DEC cables.

Great minds think alike I guess? I was wondering exactly the same thing, especially during very cold use when all rubber sheathed cables turn into rubber popsicles?

They may have to look closely at that, at the very least, sheath the cable with silicone or latex to prevent the cables from pulling against the connectors and creating a fault.

iOptron has a couple of months of development ahead of them before retail sales begin, so hopefully if that's a problem, they can sort it all out?

Cheers...Paul

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6196445 - 11/15/13 12:05 PM

The main problem with the CGE is not the dec cables or their connectors, but how the connectors are attached to the boards.

MikeML
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: NJ
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: rmollise]
      #6196489 - 11/15/13 12:30 PM

Quote:

The main problem with the CGE is not the dec cables or their connectors, but how the connectors are attached to the boards.

In nine years I never had to clean or reseat the board connectors on my CGE. The Dec/RA cables and sockets however need periodic cleaning.

timtrice
sage

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Katy, TX
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: MikeML]
      #6196639 - 11/15/13 02:22 PM

This looks extremely impressive and capable of holding my imaging gear. My 45 just - man, I wish often I hadn't kept it. But as I bought it a few months ago I don't see how I'd upgrade to this beast anytime soon provided it meets the hype.

blave

Reged: 08/11/09

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: timtrice]
      #6196717 - 11/15/13 03:22 PM

Looks very nice. But -- one of the best things I've ever done in this hobby is cancel my pre-order for the Meade LX-80 mount (oh thank goodness I did that) and get the already-in-production iEQ45 instead. However, even there, I would've been better off to've waited a while, because within a year they had upgraded the worm gear and I think some other feature.

My point: wait for them to get this mount sorted out. As appealing as the price point is, for the time being anyway I'm going to continue with my plan to buy a used AP Mach1 GTO when I can afford it. But then, maybe by that time iOptron will be on v2 of the new mount 8^) .

Dave B.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: blave]
      #6196798 - 11/15/13 04:23 PM

You are the voice of reason, Sir!

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: herrointment]
      #6196971 - 11/15/13 06:47 PM

Any idea how much does the mount head weigh?

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: FoxTrot]
      #6197000 - 11/15/13 07:07 PM

27 pounds roughly 2/3 of the weight of a CGEM head.

This might make for a perfect mount to drive to the top of Haleakala some day...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19306

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics