Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6199686 - 11/17/13 11:09 AM

The AP1100 isn't the only one, my Mach1 does the same thing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: rmollise]
      #6199712 - 11/17/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

No there's not. And most people can't and don't need to spend 10K on a mount, nice as it might be, even if they can.

That is very true. Big praise to iOptron for making a good astrophotography platform more affordable. Anything that brings more people to astronomy and astrophotography is good news to me.
I can't wait to see the first results from people using this mount.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
      #6199731 - 11/17/13 11:35 AM

Look to the North and try that.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: TxStars]
      #6199742 - 11/17/13 11:38 AM

And for sound during slewing

Love this mount

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: andysea]
      #6199744 - 11/17/13 11:39 AM

What an interesting time for me!

I got into this hobby in the last 2 years. I am in Process planning/building an observatory in my yard. I have been determining all my components, and was settling on a CGE, CGE Pro (if I could get that price past HH CFO), or maybe a used something bigger.

now this comes out! Really looks like it might be a great opportunity to jump on. Luckily I have a few months before I am at the point of having to pull the trigger on a mount. I think I'm going to wait till the last minute to see how reports of this turn out in use. I was going to buy the mount during the current sale on Celestron, and use the few months time to hyper tune it. Now I think I'll take the risk on the sale price being over and the CEM 60 not being well reviewed.

Edited by Carl N (11/17/13 11:40 AM)

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Falcon-]
      #6199809 - 11/17/13 12:11 PM

Spec sheet states that the worm wheels are aluminum. How common is that?

Edited by Wmacky (11/17/13 12:57 PM)

ur7x
sage

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: rmollise]
      #6199878 - 11/17/13 12:45 PM

Quote:

No there's not. And most people can't and don't need to spend 10K on a mount, nice as it might be, even if they can.

Yes there is only one mount that will track passed the Meridian, if you don't count all of the mounts that do .

For example, my pier mount will track past the meridian for about an hour before it forces a flip... Given that the seeing in my back yard limits AP exposures to under 8 minutes at ISO 1600. Horizon to horizon tracking becomes more of a engineering achievement rather than a real world obstacle.

Of course we now see that the CEM60 and the ZEQ25 does that one better and basically leaves it up to the user to determine how close he/she is willing to drive his/her OTA into their mounts support. Both of these mount can be set to perform horizon to horizon tracking without a flip.

Is it cool that these mounts (and several others) can track passed the meridian now? Yes.
Is it desirable? Yes.
Is it a requirement or even useful that a mount can track horizon to horizon without a meridian flip? No.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6199912 - 11/17/13 01:05 PM

The Avalon M Uno is specifically designed to track past the meridian. In fact, since it's a 'single fork' mount, it doesn't even care about a meridian.

It is pricey, but it is Ferrari Red after all.....:)

Cheers....Paul

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6199929 - 11/17/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

The Avalon M Uno

again Italian style at its best.

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
      #6199940 - 11/17/13 01:24 PM

There are many wonderful mounts when money is no limit. But what iOptron has (possibly) done here, is give a realistic option for people who are enthusiastic but have limits in what they can spend. The Camry/Accord crowd of the telescope world, which up to now has mainly had Chevys and Mercedes S class.

The new iOptron also provides a solution for those of us (and again, there are many) who are getting on in years and can't comfortably lift 40+ pound mount heads in and out of the car. 27 lbs is *much* more manageable. I was resigned to not having a mount that I want till we move somewhere where I can have a permanent pier, something at least 4-5 years away. Now I may not have to.

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: ur7x]
      #6199964 - 11/17/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes there is only one mount that will track passed the Meridian, if you don't count all of the mounts that do .

For example, my pier mount will track past the meridian for about an hour before it forces a flip... Given that the seeing in my back yard limits AP exposures to under 8 minutes at ISO 1600. Horizon to horizon tracking becomes more of a engineering achievement rather than a real world obstacle.

Of course we now see that the CEM60 and the ZEQ25 does that one better and basically leaves it up to the user to determine how close he/she is willing to drive his/her OTA into their mounts support. Both of these mount can be set to perform horizon to horizon tracking without a flip.

Is it cool that these mounts (and several others) can track passed the meridian now? Yes.
Is it desirable? Yes.
Is it a requirement or even useful that a mount can track horizon to horizon without a meridian flip? No.

Cool mount, but one thing to qualify is that the meridian flip issue is for GEM type mounts.

Fork Mounts do not worry about meridian flips.

I agree with ur7x's comments though.

One thing is for certain, I am learning much of the CN audience loves to collect mounts! I am up to FIVE now. Yikes! My suspicion is several folks here have over 10 mounts - they could start their own show room!

Key for iOptron and other vendors - always come out with a new mount. Your repeat customers will buy it!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. new [Re: Stelios]
      #6199968 - 11/17/13 01:34 PM

I was suprised at how long it took them to come out with the new encoder.

is that new encoder going to be available for the other mounts like the 45 so the gt won't be so expensive?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#6200322 - 11/17/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

There are many wonderful mounts when money is no limit. But what iOptron has (possibly) done here, is give a realistic option for people who are enthusiastic but have limits in what they can spend. The Camry/Accord crowd of the telescope world, which up to now has mainly had Chevys and Mercedes S class.

You hit the nail right on the head, and it was a finish nail, and the hammer was a framing hammer...:)

Quote:

Key for iOptron and other vendors - always come out with a new mount. Your repeat customers will buy it!

Good advice. All the current 'mainstream' mounts like Skywatcher, Celestron and Orion offerings, are all the same mounts, with different labels. They all intro new mounts, but they are basically the same old design with a little new feature to encourage sales.

iOptron, in my opinion, has always attempted to introduce completely new technology and engineering to benefit the end user. The CEM60 and StarGuider are perfect examples of 'out of the box' thinking in the astronomy field.

It's easy to make a typical GEM, there are plenty to copy from, and by doing so profit margins are increased exponentially because they are all just clones of the same old design without any great expense in engineering, prototyping and development.

I give iOptron credit for continuing to improve our hobby by offering us the very latest in technological and intellectual designs.

I think it's time the other manufacturers stop re-inventing the same old wheel and give us some variety in our choices?

Again, just my humble opinion, everyone has one...:)

Paul

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6200389 - 11/17/13 05:55 PM

It is still a GEM. Yokes have been used in a lot of axis supports in a lot of industries. The design while not common is of little ultimate interest to me. The interest is in the machine tolerances of gearing, encoder operation, and HC software implementation. This is what will separate it from the pack or make it just another so so choice among the others although it will look a bit different.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#6200406 - 11/17/13 06:03 PM

Gday Paul

Quote:

The CEM60 and StarGuider are perfect examples of 'out of the box' thinking in the astronomy field.

Realistically, the "out of the box" bit is sticking the counterweight on the end.
Otherwise, the mount is just an example of a very compact "English Cross Axis" mount.
Still a nice package tho

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #6200450 - 11/17/13 06:22 PM

It is out of the box thinking in that no other commercial entity that I know of is producing mounts like this. Or am I missing something?

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: rmollise]
      #6200473 - 11/17/13 06:33 PM

Yes, the "proof is in the pudding" (though why anyone would want to put pudding on a telescope mount, I have no idea), and we'll have to wait for performance data on the new mount, but I do see that iOptron has been continuously trying to push quality up and prices down. Their customer service has always been excellent, and they're taking ideas from higher end mounts (like USB and power ports on the DEC housing) and trickling them down for everyone. I think that's laudable.

Whether these are old ideas retooled, or "out of the box" thinking, these new mounts have been less clones (where one could argue iOptron's first GEM mounts were, though with small twists) and more unique to iOptron.

I will be getting a CEM60 when they're available (the encoder version) and putting it through its paces. I've enjoyed my iEQ30 (one of the very first ones) and will hopefully enjoy the CEM60 as well. I'll probably still move up to an ASA DDM60 Pro because I like the software integration (much like I thought about the PMX), but who knows, for wide-field, the CEM60 might be all I need for solid 30+ minuted guided subs. If so....

Paul

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#6200561 - 11/17/13 07:26 PM

Gday Rod

Quote:

Or am I missing something?

I was responding more to the reference

Quote:

attempted to introduce completely new technology and engineering

To me its evolution ( and a neat one ), not revolution.
Lets hope its firmware doesnt let it down
( and maybe even make it so it can run AltAz )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, not a rumor anymore. [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #6200582 - 11/17/13 07:40 PM

Quote:

( and maybe even make it so it can run AltAz )

Andrew, I have a feeling that the tried and true iEQ45 will be relegated to that role in iOptrons lineup? Especially for users that want more than the 30-33 pound payload of the Mini Tower series mounts.

Time will indeed tell all, it's that 20-20 hindsight thing in action.

Cheers mate...Paul

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #6200602 - 11/17/13 07:56 PM

There is something about those skid pads on the altitude that just don't sit right with me. I would need to mess around with one for a bit to see but it just looks like a problem waiting to happen. I hope these misgivings are unwarranted.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18735

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics