Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jdillon

Reged: 08/17/13

Re: Half Hitch - Free Turn Q / Nova Hitch new [Re: bdg]
      #6353351 - 02/03/14 01:55 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Dave, I assume by mount you meant the tripod since the FTQ mount is the subject of this thread. I photographed it on my Berlebach Uni14 tripod which has a wide top plate. Here's a photo of the scope pointed up but still with some space before hitting the tripod. It looks like it would make it to within 10 deg or so of the zenith. (see attached photo) I rarely see a need to use a scope pointed straight up. I'd rather just wait a bit till the object rotates lower. I also have a Manfrotto 475 camera tripod which will let it get even more vertical. You can also use vertical spacers under the FTQ to get more clearance.
As I said in my first post, damping time with the BV was 1-2 secs. Much less with it off. But the rains have finally arrived here in N. Cal. and I haven't been able to spend more time with it. John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: Half Hitch - Free Turn Q / Nova Hitch new [Re: Jdillon]
      #6353583 - 02/03/14 04:04 PM

Hi John,

Yes, sorry I meant tripod and well noted you are using the Berlebach Uni. Sounds like it is an excellent fit for the TV85 even with binoviewers. Soory the clouds have rolled in but glad you got it out for a trail run or two

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2822

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics