Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
John608
journeyman

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: California
Re: weird issue... new [Re: wargrafix]
      #6322050 - 01/19/14 12:05 PM

I have used an ASGT mount for many years and on all kinds of tilted surfaces and have never worried about level. I have had not problems any problems in aligning or in ASPA with the mount that could not be traced to other procedural errors I made. I am quite sure that LEVEL is NOT the source of your problems. Among the possibilities are the following:

Are your time, date, location entries accurate? Are your index marks lined up, and are they accurate? ASGT's are known for having inaccurately placed index marks. Are you doing a 2 + 4 alignment to start? Are your calibration stars on the opposite side of the meridian from your alignment stars? If your first alignment star was outside the field of view are you sure you ended up aligning the correct star? What sort of eyepiece are you using to do the alignment with? A medium to high power illuminated crosshair eyepiece is best. Are the Dec and RA axis locked properly? Are the azimuth locks, the tripod center bolt and the altitude bolts all tightened? Have you done the 'Calibrate Mount' procedure under 'Utilities' after a good 2+4 alignment (you only have to do this once)?

That's a long list and may not even be complete, but each of those things are critical to getting and holding an accurate alignment. A final note, the ASGT is NOT the most accurate mount in the world. It is not an Astro- Physics Mach 1. After a good alignment gotos should place stars within the field of a low power to medium power eyepiece. Gotos will likely NOT place objects in the center of a high power eyepiece. Tracking the object over time will depend on the accuracy of your polar alignment.

I hope this helps, I would spend less time fussing over levelling and more time reviewing and checking that you have followed all the procedures correctly. They are simple with a little practice. Good Luck!

John G

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: weird issue... new [Re: John608]
      #6322055 - 01/19/14 12:07 PM

Let me add, that even when everything is right vis--vis goto alignment, it is unrealistic to expect every object to be in the center of the eyepiece. OTOH, the VX and CG5 are remarkably good in this regard, even compared to much more expensive mounts. My mounts will place anything from one side of the sky to the other in a medium power eyepiece of 150x or so.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: weird issue... new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6322149 - 01/19/14 12:59 PM

C'mon, folks. The thread is about goto accuracy issues and there is (or should be) no controversy about whether a level mount OR polar alignment are relevant to that topic with this particular mount. The whole "ASPA depends on a level mount" thing has already been discussed exhaustively in a another thread. That thread has been linked to in this one so anyone who wants to see it can do so.

wargrafix
sage

Reged: 04/10/13

Loc: Trinidad
      #6322280 - 01/19/14 02:08 PM

Ohhhh. That is where I will start.
The dec cable question is much appreciated.

wargrafix
sage

#6322365 - 01/19/14 02:47 PM

I think the inability to use westerly suitable stars could be affecting my goto accuracy. I normally use my 25mm eyepiece. What drives me nuts is the first few will find well and then accuracy gets worse.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6322429 - 01/19/14 03:20 PM

No. As long as you add calibration stars, using those stars will be fine. And, if possible use a crosshair eyepiece. I use a 12mm for alignment. ANYHOW...if you don't like using stars in the east, just press the menu button before choosing an alignment star and the HC should switch the alignment stars to the other side of the merdian.

wargrafix
sage

Re: weird issue... new [Re: rmollise]
      #6322449 - 01/19/14 03:29 PM

Ah no no. Stars to the east are fine. I am unable to use west stars at observation time. If it won't thrown off accuracy then I am happy. :-)

rmollise
Postmaster

#6322531 - 01/19/14 04:13 PM

What I am saying, is you can choose the hemisphere of the alignment stars. And, yes, as long as you center the alignment stars properly AND add calibration stars, go-to will be good across the entire sky.

wargrafix
sage

Re: weird issue... new [Re: rmollise]
      #6322861 - 01/19/14 07:14 PM

Thank you very much. :-)
The dec cable, any advice on that?

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
      #6322912 - 01/19/14 07:55 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

Thank you very much. :-)
The dec cable, any advice on that?

As long as you plug the DEC cable in the proper place as labeled on the mount it should not matter which end you plug where as far as I know. Just plug one end of the cable into the port on the electronics panel labeled DEC Port and plug the other end of the cable into the port located on the declination motor drive.

The little thing you see at one end of the DEC cable is a Ferrite beads. I have mine plugged in with the Ferrite beads on the electronics panel side. I've seen other setup with the Ferrite beads on the declination motor.

Guylain

Edited by guyroch (01/20/14 07:04 PM)

wargrafix
sage

Re: weird issue... new [Re: guyroch]
      #6323191 - 01/19/14 10:38 PM

Ah thank you. Does it matter which where its plugged in? I will try your configuration.

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#6323255 - 01/19/14 11:13 PM

i think that's a ferrite bead... it's intended to cut down on radiated emissions from the computer in the mount and/or choke off any external radio sources (or even electrical noise from the dec motor) from being coupled into the mount computer via the dec cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

rob

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Re: weird issue... new [Re: pfile]
      #6323287 - 01/19/14 11:29 PM

Quote:

i think that's a ferrite bead... it's intended to cut down on radiated emissions from the computer in the mount and/or choke off any external radio sources (or even electrical noise from the dec motor) from being coupled into the mount computer via the dec cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

rob

Yes, you're right. Ground loop isolators are more for removing noise and hum from your home or car stereo, etc.

Ferrite beads are put around cables to help with rejection of RFI and EMI interference.

I have edited my post, thank you.

Guylain

wargrafix
sage

#6323314 - 01/19/14 11:47 PM

Ok I am certain this is the best forum ever! I have these at work and no one knows a clue what they are. :-D

I thought since its a straight through cable it wouldn't matter but I guess that the fat end goes on the electronic panel.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#6323383 - 01/20/14 12:53 AM

Quote:

Ok I am certain this is the best forum ever!

Ha! Wait until you tell us you have money to spend and you are looking for recommendation... we will gladly gang up on you and spend all your money for you , we are nice that way

Guylain

wargrafix
sage

#6323391 - 01/20/14 01:02 AM

ROFL. isn't that the best part of being here? :-D
In trinidad astro gear is hard to come by. I got my.9.25 from a guy who brings in for the army. I will find things in the most obscure ways. I walk into an old as hell photo shop and walk out with 2 pentax lenses.

I got the cash but the items are tough to come by. I order sparingly since our duty and taxes are the equivalent of a back alley thug with a rusty shank.

wargrafix
sage

#6325051 - 01/20/14 09:13 PM

So its time to report. Clear skies this evening. Unfortunately work tomorrow but I got stuff done.

So I decided to pick my spot and set up. I am in neither camp of level or no level. I am a student. I decided to raise the appropriate legs to read level on the bubble level of the mount. So far so good.
Night comes and alignment begins. I start with sirius and sure enough it comes close and after lining up I go on to the other stars. Then comes aspa. It gets nice and close.

Assuming you are looking through a diagonaled eye piece 25mm I begin adjusting the alt-az knobs and the lat control. Let me tell you, those things are a pain to use. Now no matter what I do the star of choice rigel moves left or right but it stays in the lower portion of field of view and nothing sends it to the middle whice is up if looking through the eyepiece. I fudged a little and played with the east leg and go it in the middle. I synced and unsynced and went to m42 it was a bit to the left and I had to use hand controls to get it centered. I noticed there was drift.
I used the precise goto and it worked somewhat. Stars trailed in 30 second shots from right to left.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6325063 - 01/20/14 09:20 PM

Thats good, after your ASPA next time, try a full shutdown of the mount and then another 2+4 then see, Kasey

wargrafix
sage

#6325579 - 01/21/14 06:31 AM

I will certainly try that. I am concerned that while I was able to get it close in the finderscope it was very frustrating to get it in the middle of the eyepiece. fudging with the leg doesn't seem like a good option...unless thats how its done.

The right to left trailing and jupiter not appearing in the middle but on the right of 25mm leaves me a bit concerned.

wargrafix
sage

#6327705 - 01/22/14 07:09 AM

Last night was another clear and super steady night.

I took out the mount and made sure it was level and the scope balanced. When night fell I ad my manual and picked up the manual and begin alignment again, this time i carefully used the legs to ever so slightly put the object into view. I used the alt az controls when it came to the eyepiece.

Shutdown and did my 2+4 alignment. Sure enough I found every target. Final issue. The objects are still to the right and they slowly drift to the left. Any clues what to do? I am getting there folks!

Also I used tape to mark of the EXACT point where my mount is so when I do it next I will know where to plunk down the mount.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2293

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics