Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6342081 - 01/28/14 11:08 PM

Quote:

I also agree that the way the counter weight bar is attached looks really iffy.

The z-balanced mounts use that setup, and it's very useful for users like Alfred who image close to 0 degrees latitude.

You can adjust the shaft out and away from the mount for counterweight clearance. Notice in the image how close the counterweight is at the top of the shaft to the mount, and it still clears.

The ZEQ25 has the same setup, and I've been using it for over a year with absolutely ZERO issues with shaft flexure, and that's with two counterweights on the mount.

I don't expect the CEM60 to be any different, it's a non-issue.

Cheers...Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6342160 - 01/29/14 12:09 AM

The paint job IS lacking....many of these products have paint that looks chalky or uncured or just "off". The kicked up chunks in the paint is just sloppy.

I agree it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: herrointment]
      #6342193 - 01/29/14 12:53 AM

Dear client please select 3 items from the following list, due to price restrictions we can only give you 3 out of the list:
1) Excellent paint job
2) Pretty looking assembly
3) Machined single block aluminium components
4) Outstanding native uncorrected PE
5) Minimum backlash
6) Load carrying capacity same as what is stated on the tin
7) Encoders to reduce reliance on guiding and further improve the tracking ability
8) Ability to setup at wide range of latitudes all the way down to 0 degrees.
9) Easy to use hand controller

I wonder how many people given that list to choose from would go for the combination of No. 1, 2 and 6 if they had budget restrictions. I suspect most of the target market for the CEM60 would buy it for the theoretical tracking performance vs. price

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6342204 - 01/29/14 01:05 AM

Quote:

Dear client please select 3 items from the following list, due to price restrictions we can only give you 3 out of the list:
1) Excellent paint job
2) Pretty looking assembly
3) Machined single block aluminium components
4) Outstanding native uncorrected PE
5) Minimum backlash
6) Load carrying capacity same as what is stated on the tin
7) Encoders to reduce reliance on guiding and further improve the tracking ability
8) Ability to setup at wide range of latitudes all the way down to 0 degrees.
9) Easy to use hand controller

I wonder how many people given that list to choose from would go for the combination of No. 1, 2 and 6 if they had budget restrictions. I suspect most of the target market for the CEM60 would buy it for the theoretical tracking performance vs. price

If it were a $1500-2500.00 mount I would agree.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Pak]
      #6342214 - 01/29/14 01:12 AM

It is once you remove the encoders.

Find me a mount with encoders meant for tracking accuracy and not purely for pointing at this price point. A good way to look at it is to look at the price of the non encoder version of CEM60 and then add the cost of adding a telescope drive master unit to it. Suddenly it becomes clear that the price point is not so high after all.

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Hilmi]
      #6342225 - 01/29/14 01:24 AM

I guess I'm not seeing the cosmetic problem. Looks like a beauty to me.

The angle on the CW shaft does look odd - it will be interesting to see how it looks at a more Northerly altitude -e.g. 45º to 55º.

Alfred Tan
sage

Reged: 10/25/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: dvb]
      #6342513 - 01/29/14 07:40 AM

Hi,

iOptron has advised me that the tracking drift is most probably due to a firmware bug. The iOptron team in China has gone for a Lunar New Year break. I will update this forum after I have received the firmware update after they return to work on 7 Feb 14.

I believe we will soon be hearing from our US friends get their CEM60EC

Alfred

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Alfred Tan]
      #6342659 - 01/29/14 09:42 AM

Thank you for sharing these photos and for the report!
Congratulations on your new mount!

LPA

Reged: 01/28/14

#6342665 - 01/29/14 09:45 AM

Alfred,

Thanks for the info and pics. I agree that mount is a beauty. I especially like the large latitude scale and reference marks on the latitude adjustment knob. They will be useful when traveling to and from a dark site. One nick given to the iEQ30 in Sky&Tel's review, and something I experience with mine, is the long time for its GPS to connect. Can you comment on how long it takes the CEM60's GPS to connect?

LPA

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: LPA]
      #6342834 - 01/29/14 11:01 AM

Interesting mount for sure. I have a feeling they are rushing these a bit though.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #6342869 - 01/29/14 11:18 AM

Quote:

The iOptron team in China has gone for a Lunar New Year break. I will update this forum after I have received the firmware update after they return to work on 7 Feb 14.

With the release of a product that is supposed to rival Mach1, they should have had folks working on it 24x7 and in multiple countries; this is something that would be expected of Meade (people going on vacation I mean), not iOptron. Come on folks, Mach1 isn't going to get challenged like that. Regards

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: mmalik]
      #6342905 - 01/29/14 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The iOptron team in China has gone for a Lunar New Year break. I will update this forum after I have received the firmware update after they return to work on 7 Feb 14.

With the release of a product that is supposed to rival Mach1, they should have had folks working on it 24x7 and in multiple countries; this is something that would be expected of Meade (people going on vacation I mean), not iOptron. Come on folks, Mach1 isn't going to get challenged like that. Regards

Did you see iOptron mention that the CEM60 would rival the Mach1? Your table showing comparative numbers is all I've seen. I say keep the price down and don't have the software people in 24/7.

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: crow]
      #6343055 - 01/29/14 12:45 PM

While I appreciate the early reports I think we all should remember that the mount is not generally available for sale on their site. I would consider the people getting these early mounts as beta testers since it is not for sale on their website yet. I don't think they are rushing this out. If they are only seeing a couple of minor issues in firmware, etc. at this point in the process I think this is not a bad thing. These can be corrected, however major mechanical flaws where it could not achieve stated performance would be another. Further, if these mounts were generally available then yes a faster response would be expected.

As far as comparing to a Mach 1 remember you are comparing a $2500 mount versus a $6300 mount. The stated spec for PE is 10 arc-sec versus 7. Load for the CEM60 is 60 lbs versus the 45 for the Mach 1. Plus when you add the encoders it is still less than $4000 but with potentially greater performance. So while these may be in a similar class spec wise there have to be reasons for the difference in cost. I imagine location of the manufacturer is a big one. A lower standard of fit and finish may be another. In the end we just have to decide what we are willing to accept and how much we are willing to spend for it.

Cheers!
Phillip

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #6343160 - 01/29/14 01:38 PM

"potentially greater performance?"

probably not. My trained PE after PEM is 0.42" peak to peak.

so at best, equivalent PE. but the mount is about way more than just PE. because if PE was the be-all and end-all, everybody would have an Atlas with a TDM on it.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6343177 - 01/29/14 01:42 PM

Quote:

I say keep the price down and don't have the software people in 24/7.

Not getting the point Mike; rivaling Mach1 or not, at this early stage it is not about keeping price down, it is about discipline. 24/7 for beta testers is different from 24/7 for public; and staffing in typical sense is not what I am referring to. I think you get the point. Regards

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
      #6343375 - 01/29/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hi,

iOptron has advised me that the tracking drift is most probably due to a firmware bug. The iOptron team in China has gone for a Lunar New Year break. I will update this forum after I have received the firmware update after they return to work on 7 Feb 14.

I believe we will soon be hearing from our US friends get their CEM60EC

Alfred

I wish the iOptron staff "Gong Xi Fa Cai" and a Happy and Prosperous Year of the Horse!

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: dvb]
      #6343670 - 01/29/14 05:00 PM

I don't know why they continue to use telephone jacks for connectors in Chinese mounts. Price can't be that much cheaper.

Art43

Reged: 10/09/07

#6344309 - 01/29/14 11:28 PM

It is my understanding that this particular mount has ASCOM drivers. Did you try to use the remote iOptron software to set up and operate the mount. The process of using ASCOM could be used to further isolate the problem, if the mount works with a PC operating it and not the Hand Paddle Controller.

And then again, I am just throwing out suggestions without real merit.

Regards,

A

whwang
sage

Reged: 03/20/13

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Art43]
      #6344345 - 01/29/14 11:49 PM

The lunar new year (aka chinese new year) is quite big in chinese culture. You can think it is the chinese version of the christmas holidays. Most people do not work during the new year vacation, except for those working on extremely essential things (public transportation, security, etc). Even the stock market is closed, and very little business is going on. People can spend days to travel thousand(s) of miles just to get together with their family.

If iOptron's core development team is in china, it is almost certain that their service will be temporarily unavailable during these days. Building another development team in a country that do not have chinese new year? Sure, but then the mount would cost substantially more.

If my telescope has some problem, I would also want the fastest service. However, if the vendor tells me that I will have to wait for a few days because their staff are with their family during the christmas holidays, I would fully respect that.

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: whwang]
      #6344832 - 01/30/14 10:20 AM

Wow... It looks like iOptron has a good base of fan boys. When Meade's released their latest mount everybody was very verbose about the quality of their first batch. In practical terms this mount was DOA, no way quality control couldn't spot such a basic flaw.

Regardless of what the mount offers compared to other mounts, it's a 4K puppy, it should work right away, at least it should track, do accurate goto's and autoguide.

Cheers,

Jose

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41693

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics