Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6376923 - 02/14/14 10:01 PM

Congratulations Paul! I can't wait to see your reports.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jpadronlk

Reged: 02/05/14

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6378538 - 02/15/14 09:13 PM

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to first introduce myself. My Name is John and I live in Central Florida. I am new to Cloudy nights and just getting started in astrophotography. I am exited to begin imaging and have enjoyed reading this discussions.

After doing much research over the passed two months, I have decided to go with the CEM60 as my first mount.
Paul, I have enjoyed your commentary and agree with you that the CEM60, from what it appears, will be a great mount. It seems iOptron is trying to do this right and produce a quality mount in the mid tier arena with low PE and excellent tracking ability. Look forward to future discussions.

John

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: jpadronlk]
      #6378664 - 02/15/14 10:31 PM

John,

Welcome to CN!

The CEM60 is an unproven mount and if it was coming from someone other than iOptron I'd be reluctant to jump in. Based on their other offering and the excellent customer service, I'd get one if the zEQ 25 wasn't working out so well for me.

Best of luck with AP. Keep us posted with your progress.

Mike

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6379326 - 02/16/14 12:08 PM

Quote:

After doing much research over the passed two months, I have decided to go with the CEM60 as my first mount.

Welcome to the forum John.

The only answer to your statement that I can think of, is that your first mount may very well be your last if the CEM performs like the z-balanced ZEQ25?

Real world results should be appearing within the next week or two as test mounts hit the doorsteps of US clients. I'm hoping they get some clear sky shortly afterward..:)

iOptron has sent a User Setup Guide which reads very well, but the 'meat and potatoes' will be in the User's Manual once it is uploaded to the iOtpron webpage.

I'm particularly interested in the cable management details, and the details of the power hub.

iOptron is certainly showing their desire to produce what the stargazers and imagers are looking for: Excellent performance in a reasonably priced, reasonably transportable package.

Now we all wait for the little Brown Trucks to arrive with the answers to our questions.

Clear skies...Paul

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6379587 - 02/16/14 02:30 PM

I just ordered my ZEQ25 and my CEM60 is about 20 miles away taunting me.

jpadronlk

Reged: 02/05/14

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6380236 - 02/16/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

Best of luck with AP. Keep us posted with your progress.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I sure will. Look forward to providing a review from the eyes of a imaging newbie.

Alfred Tan
sage

Reged: 10/25/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: jpadronlk]
      #6380585 - 02/17/14 07:39 AM

Hi All,

Here is a quick update from Singapore.

I have updated my CEM60 firmware. My firmware version after the upgrade:

HC - 140214
Main - 140115
RA - 140214
DEC - 140214

As promised, iOptron fixed the drifting problem and provided excellent tech support for the firmware upgrade. I run a quick check on Venus on Saturday morning and there was very minimal drift when i left the mount to do tracking for 15 minutes. The next step is to do drift alignment using the HC's bright star polar alignment and check the drift again. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating. So I have taken the opportunity to run through the draft copy of the quick start guide (QSG) and given my inputs to Kevin. He should be posting the revised QSG on the iOptron website

I have purchased PEMPRO and is reading up on how to test the mount. I welcome suggestions on tests you would like to hear about.

Looking forward to hear reports from CONUS soon

Alfred

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions [Re: Alfred Tan]
      #6380604 - 02/17/14 07:53 AM

Make sure you run the calibration wizard before you run your PE measurement in PEMPro else your scale will be all wrong.

neversummer

Reged: 08/12/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6380761 - 02/17/14 09:46 AM

A CG-5 weighs 42lbs. Does the CEM60 only weigh 27lbs.?

cloudywest

Reged: 06/15/13

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: neversummer]
      #6380789 - 02/17/14 10:02 AM

CG5 head is about 15 lbs. 42 lbs is every thing including tripod and counterweight. I think CEM60 head is 27 lbs.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: cloudywest]
      #6380861 - 02/17/14 10:52 AM

Quote:

I have updated my CEM60 firmware. My firmware version after the upgrade:

HC - 140214
Main - 140115
RA - 140214
DEC - 140214

Thank you Alfred, it's reassuring to know the firmware update fixed that issue. iOptron emailed me the update and instructions in advance of receiving the mount also.

Quote:

The next step is to do drift alignment using the HC's bright star polar alignment and check the drift again.

Good luck with that bright star routine Alfred, I realize you don't have a good view of the pole and 'must' use it.

When used in conjunction with a drift alignment, it should work well for you. I have a nice view of the pole, so all I've ever needed to use was a basic polar align followed by a simple One Star Align with the ZEQ. The bright star routine was never accurate enough to allow unguided imaging.

For that reason, (able to see the pole star) I have kept the Two Star firmware loaded in my iEQ45 and use it exclusively when imaging. It provides a polar offset readout so it's very easy to chip away at offset until you get to 00-00. At that result, unguided imaging is possible for up to 4 minutes without trailing with a 630mm focal length ota. And, it compliments the TDM very well.

Question, have you checked the polar scope axis for alignment with the mount axis? How close was/is it?

Best...Paul

whwang
sage

Reged: 03/20/13

#6380869 - 02/17/14 11:00 AM

Hi,

May I ask how stable is iOptron's tripod that comes with CEM60? Are there non-iOptron tripod options out there for CEM60?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: whwang]
      #6380896 - 02/17/14 11:16 AM

Quote:

Hi,

May I ask how stable is iOptron's tripod that comes with CEM60? Are there non-iOptron tripod options out there for CEM60?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

Wei-Ho, the standard 2" tripod is extremely stable. I have used it with my iEQ45 for a couple of years with no issues at all.

I might add that I do use the 8" mini-pier with the 2" tripod, so I only have the lower legs extended out about 6 inches. Even so, I've never heard of any problems from imagers using the standard tripod.

I'm sure you could adapt the CEM60 mount to almost any non-iOptron tripod or pier with the correct adapter plate?

The CEM60 fits on any iEQ45 tripod or pier assembly, so you might search for an answer by using the iEQ45 as a reference point?

I'm sure some CN'ers have some experience using other mountings, perhaps we'll hear from them.

Regards...Paul

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
      #6380932 - 02/17/14 11:37 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

I agree, the tripod that came with my iEQ45 is extremely stable. However, I did add a tripod spreader with battery tray. Gives it that extra edge plus a place to put the battery.

It would be the same one you would purchase from iOptron since the CEM60 doesn't come with one.

Cheers!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #6381677 - 02/17/14 07:59 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Cheers,
Wei-Hao

It appears that the CEM60 uses the same tripod as the iEQ45 and if that is the case, then there is at least one after-market tripod manufacturer that makes a tripod that will fit the mount.

cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: EFT]
      #6381721 - 02/17/14 08:35 PM

I use the ZEQ25 on my Benro A3580T tripod - it is simply a 3/8 inch thread connection. I can image with no issues with that equipment, and it is far more portable.

That being said, if I had enough money to get a CEM60, I'd definitely go with their 2 inch tripod instead

Alfred Tan
sage

Reged: 10/25/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6381746 - 02/17/14 08:48 PM

Quote:

Thank you Alfred, it's reassuring to know the firmware update fixed that issue.

Hi Paul,

Looks like I spoke too soon. While doing additional tests last night I observed some drifting. It can be corrected by cancelling the tracking and then resuming it (i.e. by depressing the 0/stop button twice). I am not complaining as I have very good tech support from iOptron and I am having fun testing the CEM60. I did system design and testing for 20 odd years in my last job The tech support team has been working hard on it. Unfortunately the weather in Nanjing has impeded their live testing.

Quote:

Question, have you checked the polar scope axis for alignment with the mount axis? How close was/is it?

I did not complete my polar/drift alignment because I concentrated on duplicating and solving the drift problem. Btw, how do I check the polar scope axis for alignment with the mount axis? I can't if I need to see the pole star.

Alfred

whwang
sage

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: EFT]
      #6381800 - 02/17/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

It appears that the CEM60 uses the same tripod as the iEQ45 and if that is the case, then there is at least one after-market tripod manufacturer that makes a tripod that will fit the mount.

Could you tell me which one it is? Yesterday I made a google search and did not find much, except one company call "altairastro." Unfortunately, I cannot connect to their website.

Thank you.

whwang
sage

Re: iOptron CEM60, First Impressions new [Re: Alfred Tan]
      #6381811 - 02/17/14 09:25 PM

Quote:

I did not complete my polar/drift alignment because I concentrated on duplicating and solving the drift problem. Btw, how do I check the polar scope axis for alignment with the mount axis? I can't if I need to see the pole star.

Does the polar scope co-rotate with the RA axis? If so, I suppose you can point the polar
scope at a very distant object and rotate the RA axis of the mount. If the center of the
crosshair stays at the same position as the RA rotates, then the polar scope is aligned to
the mechanical axis of the mount.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#6381851 - 02/17/14 09:56 PM

I got my 7002 version of the CEM60 today. Got it set up and slewing around indoors.

My initial impression:

Build quality is far better than I imagined it would be.
I am very impressed.

Disengaging the worm to balance and the bearings are slick as snot. Super easy to balance. Slewing is quiet and smooth.

Haven't been outside with it yet to verify the aforementioned tracking issue. I am running the latest beta firmware.

I did run into an issue that I want to give iOptron the first crack at. It may be user error or working as intended so before I mention it as a problem I want to know it is an actual problem.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41672

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics