Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount
      #6360227 - 02/06/14 05:30 PM

Anyone used one of these mount?

http://www.gototelescopes.com/harmonic%20mount%201.html

125 lb capacity and way under 10K. That might make a nice entry into harmonic drives, but I know nothing about such mounts in terms of PE, tracking and etc.

Thanks, Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #6360313 - 02/06/14 06:11 PM

This is the only mount I've seen with harmonic drives, but as you can see, I can't think of a reason why someone would want to spend that kind of money for a 250lb capacity mount. It does have the advantage that you can image from horizon to horizon without a flip, but still, that's a lot of astrobucks!

David

Skunky
sage

Reged: 09/16/13

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6360413 - 02/06/14 06:51 PM

Nice.. would like to hear more about this mount.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #6360878 - 02/06/14 10:43 PM

Here is an excellent tutorial on the inner working of a harmonic drive. Note the emphasis on "zero backlash", hence the reason that it makes for a good telescope mount.

David

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #6360930 - 02/06/14 11:19 PM

Thanks, David, very informative. But, what about this particular mount? Anyone have one or knows anything about it? 6K is quite a price break compared to 20K.

Ed

austin.grant
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: Shreveport, LA
      #6360955 - 02/06/14 11:33 PM

Did you watch the tracking and PE videos? Looks impressive.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: austin.grant]
      #6360994 - 02/06/14 11:57 PM

Harmonic drives have considerable PE but it is long period (the period is the entire revolution). However most harmonic drives are 50:1 to 100:1 reduction so you need another gearhead to drive them. I suspect the 14.4 minute period of the chronos hd32 implies it has a 100:1 final gear ratio... (1440 minutes/day).

There's a guy on the Sitech yahoo group who built his own harmonic drive mount. The drives can be had for $500 to $1000 per axis on eBay. Of course list price is much higher.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: austin.grant]
      #6361002 - 02/07/14 12:03 AM

Hmmm, shows really low numbers for tracking and PE.
Wonder where the encoders are mounted and how fast the feedback loops are???
Looking at the pipe its fitted in, the motor gear could only be a max of say 6" dia. At that dia, 1 arcsec of error equates to a tangential error of 36um at the gear pressure point. Not many gears will be made to that accuracy for the full 360 deg of rotation, so it would be interesting to see how it gets accounted for.
Being a fixed system, it could easily be factory modelled??
Intriguing :-)

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #6361011 - 02/07/14 12:06 AM

The chronos specs 7.8" of PE. Which is not particularly good. The period is slow however so its easy to guide. Or not guide, by keeping the exposure to less than 1/2 of the drive period.

Harmonic drives don't need encoders. They are just another variety of gear reduction.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6361017 - 02/07/14 12:10 AM

Gday orlyandico

Quote:

Harmonic drives have considerable PE but it is very long period

I hoped you might post here based on yr recent "playing" with stuff at this accuracy level.
Its been 30 years since i did gear design at uni, but the harmonic drives still rely on teeth changing position under load, which means any tooth form errors on individual teeth will also come into the mix.

Based on my prev post, as this gear is directly on the output shaft ???? then tooth form errors may result in higher freq PE per tooth on top. Dunno???

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#6361038 - 02/07/14 12:20 AM

Gday orlyandico
Quote:

Harmonic drives don't need encoders. They are just another variety of gear reduction.

I fully understand how the harmonic drives work, i was more interested in how the feedback loop would work to give the quoted numbers, as unless there is an absolute encoder on the output axle, you are still using dead reckoning for position.
Sure it can be guided, but i wonder what the base tracking is like over multiple teeth locations.
All good fun.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
      #6361080 - 02/07/14 12:43 AM

With multiple teeth contacting at all times it would be the average error of the worst fit of the two rings.
Over time you could adjust the base start position of each motor to reduce the error and larger drives could be used.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: TxStars]
      #6361101 - 02/07/14 12:56 AM

Gday TxStars

Ahh, but in this scenario, i suspect they wont all fit and average that smoothly at the micron level, hence my query of how much other feedback is reqd.

I agree there will be some form of mechanical averaging going on, but i suspect the primary contact points when transitioning teeth will still be individual teeth, esp when tooth spacing and form errors come into the mix.
Need to read up some more on the math behind exactly how the teeth would transition in this design, but it obviously can be made to work.
Just be interesting to see how much electronic adjustment is reqd for unguided tracking.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #6361104 - 02/07/14 12:58 AM

What would put people off is that the web page looks unprofessional and the description of the product talks about inconsistencies as if they were part of the design.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6361156 - 02/07/14 01:43 AM

I believe the "value proposition" is that you are contacting 1/3 of the teeth at all times. Hence averaging.

As to whether that would work at a micron level... well regular worm gears only contact a few teeth and they work fine. I'd expect harmonic gears to be better. How much better? Based on the hd32 spec, not even an order of magnitude.

And while there's no backlash, there is some sort of stiction / starting torque due to the flexing of the spline. That I suspect would also look like backlash from an electronic perspective.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

#6361173 - 02/07/14 02:00 AM

Don't forget the harmonic drive only replaces the worm and ring.
You still need a drive motor to make it work.
And with no positional feedback you are "shooting in the dark".

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#6361191 - 02/07/14 02:26 AM

well all encoder-less mounts are shooting in the dark...

as i mentioned the harmonic drive replaces the worm and ring gear. but you still need a smaller gearhead (whether also harmonic or a regular spur or planetary) to lower the motor speed. that of course would also introduce errors.

i'm somewhat curious though. conventional worm and ring gear mounts suffer when the motor reduction gearhead is of poor quality (e.g. CGEM 8/3) because the gearhead harmonics get transmitted to the OTA.

but with a main harmonic drive.. would it be possible that the inherent damping in the spline would suppress gearhead harmonics?

this is one of those things I'd like to experiment with, but with the prices of harmonic drives......

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

#6361237 - 02/07/14 03:14 AM

A large HD driven by a small HD directly connected to the drive motor would be interesting.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#6361313 - 02/07/14 05:33 AM

Gday Orlyandico

Quote:

well all encoder-less mounts are shooting in the dark...

I postulate that even drives with encoders are still shooting in the dark if the encoder isnt on the output axle, hence my intrigue as to what the raw unguided tracking of these mounts is like.

Quote:

but with a main harmonic drive.. would it be possible that the inherent damping in the spline would suppress gearhead harmonics?

I am sure with a harmonic drive that you wont get any gearhead "harmonics" like the Celestron or Meade 8/3 error but you may get localised errors on a tooth by tooth basis that cant be addressed by a simple PEC model.
Be fun to get a gearhead unit to test what it looks like across multiple teeth.

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
      #6362495 - 02/07/14 05:36 PM

Many machines I work on (high accuracy cylindrical grinders) use harmonic drives to swivel the wheel head, and will repeat a position down to a 0.001* degree accuracy... That being said, they also seat to a hurth coupling...

BUT, in a very nice, high accuracy setup, they are tough to beat for their size and weight. PE can be finessed out of the equation with good software driving it. The other alternative, as we all know, is nice worm gears/wheels, which can be comparatively heavy...

Has anyone used torque motors? Some machines I work with (tool grinders) use torque motors for their rotory axis, and produce mirror finishes on corner radii. But, again, big and heavy... Strong like bull though!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics