Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Jon Rista
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/10/14

Loc: Colorado
Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: terry59]
      #6379702 - 02/16/14 04:28 PM

I picked up a smoker cover at Home Depot. It's actually pretty nice, and was less than $10. It's rubberized, water just flows off of it, and the bottom edge has a tightening elastic band, so it clamps down pretty tightly just underneath the accessory tray. My only concern is it is black...should I worry about it soaking up heat when I'm not using the mount?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: Jon Rista]
      #6379900 - 02/16/14 06:54 PM

I haven't had any problems

Jon Rista
professor emeritus

Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: terry59]
      #6379928 - 02/16/14 07:16 PM

Good to hear.

As for me, well, I'm having another problem. :P Guess this is just the right of passage if your going to get into astrophotography.

Seems my Orion SSAG doesn't want to work with my Surface Pro tablet. I did some searching, apparently, there have been driver issues with the SSAG since early 2012? I've read reports as recently as 12/2013 about people still having issues, and I am having issues here today, in 2014.

Is Orion really THAT unreliable of a company when it comes to drivers? I find that exceptionally dismaying, that in two solid years, they haven't solved compatibility issues with Windows 8. WOW.

When I first installed the driver, which was days ago, it didn't kick in automatically. I went to device manager and told it to update driver, and it found the right one right away. It worked, for a couple days. Today, I'm completely out of luck getting it to work, despite following all of the advice on threads here on CN and elsewhere. Windows 8 claims it can't find a driver and that the "device malfunctioned", however I can see no evidence of device malfunction. I uninstalled the drivers, completely, powered down and powered up, reinstalled the drivers, but for some reason Windows now refuses to acknowledge that driver is the correct one for the SSAG. It just shows up as a generic unknown device, I can't even force it to install the driver. It is a driverless device. I am not even sure how to run pnputil in order to nuke the driver, because there are no driver files whatsoever associated with the device, so I'm not sure exactly what to nuke. What a sad state of affairs...two solid years and no solution to this problem.

I'm going to see if I can get it all working on my older laptop, which was originally running Windows 7. It runs Windows 8 now, but maybe the older hardware will be more "reliable" with the SSAG.

On a side note, I've played with the SSAG and PHD2 on my desktop computer here on several occasions, and the driver has never stopped working. I've had it plugged in directly to the computer USB as well as via a USB hub, zero issues. As far as I know, my Surface Pro only has USB 2.0, so it can't be the USB 3.0 issue.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6379990 - 02/16/14 07:55 PM

Drivers with which machines? The SSAG works fine with my Win 7 64 bit and 32 bit machines. I would guess that getting it to work with a tablet might be more of a crapshoot, though.

GENERALLY drivers that work with Win 7 64 will work with Win 8. What you might try to do is manually uninstall the driver and reinstall.

Jon Rista
professor emeritus

Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: rmollise]
      #6380113 - 02/16/14 09:31 PM

@Rod: I already went through multiple rounds of manually uninstalling, manually deleting registry entries, reinstallation, power off and reboot, etc. Nothing seems to work. It's apparently a well known problem, and Orion (or whoever produces the drivers for SSAG) hasn't fixed it yet.

I managed to get it all working with my old 18.4" Sony Vaio laptop. Not the most portable device, but everything seems to work.

Somehow my GoTo alignment got screwed up, but while trying to realign, a wicked wind picked up and clouds started periodically rolling overhead. Was making it hell trying to align, so I've given up for tonight.

Really looking forward to some totally clear, dark nights...

Jon Rista
professor emeritus

#6380294 - 02/16/14 11:35 PM

Woo! First light! I managed to slip 20 Pleiades 1-minute exposures in between a couple big patches of clouds. The sky was momentarily clear for just barely long enough. Now I'm taking darks and biases. The moon is over the eastern horizon, and I don't think I could do more than 1-minute exposures now anyway. Really can't wait until I have some really nice, dark skies.

Guiding seems to be working fairly well. There were a few frames in BYEOS that showed the stars as streaks...some perfectly horizontal, some perfectly vertical. I'm guessing that was guiding doing a big correction...otherwise not really sure what those frames are. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into how guiding works and all in order to fully understand the graph that PHD2 provides. I did learn that PHD doubles as a darn good cloud monitor. I was happily relaxing when all of a sudden the computer started dinging (and I of course had the volume maxed) and when I looked up at the sky, clouds had just covered Pleiades. Too bad that alarm can't be used to automatically suspend BackyardEOS, then resume it once the alarm stops.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6380468 - 02/17/14 03:41 AM

Quote:

Woo! First light! I managed to slip 20 Pleiades 1-minute exposures in between a couple big patches of clouds. The sky was momentarily clear for just barely long enough. Now I'm taking darks and biases. The moon is over the eastern horizon, and I don't think I could do more than 1-minute exposures now anyway. Really can't wait until I have some really nice, dark skies.

Guiding seems to be working fairly well. There were a few frames in BYEOS that showed the stars as streaks...some perfectly horizontal, some perfectly vertical. I'm guessing that was guiding doing a big correction...otherwise not really sure what those frames are. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into how guiding works and all in order to fully understand the graph that PHD2 provides. I did learn that PHD doubles as a darn good cloud monitor. I was happily relaxing when all of a sudden the computer started dinging (and I of course had the volume maxed) and when I looked up at the sky, clouds had just covered Pleiades. Too bad that alarm can't be used to automatically suspend BackyardEOS, then resume it once the alarm stops.

You will find chasing holes in the clouds are not worth the effort, unless there are huge gaps. I don't know about your area, but tomorrow is suppose to be better in wider areas of the Southwest and portions of Colorado.

As they say, stay tuned!

Jon Rista
professor emeritus

Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6381127 - 02/17/14 01:50 PM

Aye, it isn't worth the effort, but once I got started last night, I wasn't willing to give up.

According to the current forecast, it is supposed to be mostly clear from 2pm today until 8am tomorrow where I am in Colorado. That was also supposed to be the case last night, so I take it with a grain of salt, but hopefully it will actually be the case.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #6381139 - 02/17/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

Aye, it isn't worth the effort, but once I got started last night, I wasn't willing to give up.

According to the current forecast, it is supposed to be mostly clear from 2pm today until 8am tomorrow where I am in Colorado. That was also supposed to be the case last night, so I take it with a grain of salt, but hopefully it will actually be the case.

Same here - for the next two days. Crossing my fingers! I am simply tired of chasing holes in the clouds.

The key is the winds should be light. This helps significantly on the AP front.

Jon Rista
professor emeritus

Re: Atlas EQ-G just arrived! new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6381146 - 02/17/14 01:58 PM

Yeah, the wind worried me a couple times last night. The gusts got strong enough that I could see PHD going crazy. I packed it in on those occasions, the second time for good.

I did get some very light exposure on Pleiades last night, but because the moon was already over the horizon by then, I wasn't able to get deep exposures. Maybe tonight.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1739

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics