Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: dvb]
      #6622329 - 07/07/14 09:29 PM

If I need something quick, I try Astronomics first as I usually get stuff within a day or so even with ground shipping. I like Agena for the harder to find stuff, and ScopeStuff for the impossible to find stuff. All of them have been first rate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wargrafix
sage

Reged: 04/10/13

Loc: Trinidad
      #6623108 - 07/08/14 10:17 AM

off topic: astronomics ships overseas?

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: wargrafix]
      #6623938 - 07/08/14 06:15 PM

If it is expensive and I know exactly what I want, Astronomics. If it is cheap and I know exactly what I want, Woodland Hills. Farah is great! If I have no clue what I want I call OPT.

bogg
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: Pak]
      #6623987 - 07/08/14 06:52 PM

I use my local store KW Telescope. They always seem to have what I would want

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #6624017 - 07/08/14 07:16 PM

If it's close I always go with who I like...usually who has the best customer service.

For eyepieces I try to go with eyepiecesetc.com ... even if they are a few bucks more after shipping. Don's customer service and quick shipping is top notch.

For most other new purchases I try Astronomics first, then Optcorp, then adorama camera, then Agena, etc. All the ones I named are very good most of the time.

Sometimes you don't have multiple options depending on the item.

I can say some prices can be drastically different so it's worth checking everything out. Pentax XWs are pretty cheap at Adorama camera...but not at Optcorp. Canon IS binos may have the most variation in prices of any products out there. The same item ranging from $2000 to $1200.

Customer service is well worth a little extra expense.

zenman0
journeyman

Reged: 07/16/11

Loc: Vermont and Utah
      #6625878 - 07/09/14 09:03 PM

It is easy to discern the better vendors like Astronomics, Anacortes, OPT, Agena -- they give great service and are worth a bit of extra cost because of it, in my view.

DonMendoza

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Greensboro NC
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: zenman0]
      #6625906 - 07/09/14 09:14 PM

I started out with Orion. Now I usually buy from Astronomics. It's hard to beat their friendly service and a discount for being her.
That being said, I can count my purchases on my two hands with a few fingers extra.

Stargazer3236

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Waltham, MA
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: DonMendoza]
      #6625976 - 07/09/14 09:56 PM

I usually buy my telescopes and mounts from OPT and High Point Scientific. I bought my C11 and my CG5-ASGT from OPT. I am going to buy the 8" LX90 from High Point Scientific. I typically buy my eyepieces from Agena Astro. Any adapters that I need, I buy from Scopestuff. Electronics, I buy from Orion, like the Starseek WiFi module. Finder scopes I usually buy from Orion. I did buy my Explore Scientific eyepieces from Hayneedle when they had free shipping and $99 sale for the Comet ISON hype.

I like free shipping on items, especially expensive telescopes and accessories. Orion's $5 shipping is great too. I don't like those dealers that charge $8-12 just for a small part. Free shipping is the way to go.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6626051 - 07/09/14 10:55 PM

Quote:

I spend better than 99% of my money there.

That's what I call a dedicated amateur astronomer!

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: junomike]
      #6626998 - 07/10/14 02:44 PM

Agena is hard too beat and no one ships as fast!

Bill

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: Bill Cowles]
      #6627044 - 07/10/14 08:57 PM

Well they told me they could not price match on this product. I understand completely. I'm still thinking Agena. In no hurry yet, But I'm sure when I order it will be here asap.

karstenkoch
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/21/12

Loc: GMT+9
      #6631992 - 07/13/14 07:08 PM

Buying astro products, I've never had a faster shipping experience or a better customer relations experience than with Agena. $10? I would just go with them because you know exactly what you're going to get.

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: karstenkoch]
      #6632235 - 07/13/14 09:35 PM

I think Agena is great. I received a PM from someone who has one that they no longer use though. I may just go used on this at the right price.

B. Hebert

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: Southern California
      #6632490 - 07/14/14 12:00 AM

I feel guilty in not using Astronomics, as I greatly appreciate their support of Cloudy Nights.

I have loved the support I got from Orion as well as their products. Adequate quality, but good prices and great service.

I have tried to support OPT for other purchases. They are very helpful.

BH

sdakotaastro

Reged: 05/04/14

Loc: Currently In Chile
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: B. Hebert]
      #6632625 - 07/14/14 02:12 AM

HECK NO!!

That's only because the closest Astro stare is more than 5,000km away.. and when I am home, it's still several hundred km to a brick and mortor.. and then I have to pay taxes if I buy in store.. yuk..

Pcolon1

Reged: 02/10/13

#6632936 - 07/14/14 10:23 AM

I've purchased everything that I didn't buy used from OPT Corp. that says a lot for me, since I am all the way on the east coast, and in the same city as adorama and b&h. I like the fact that OPT always has someone on staff that can answer my questions over the phone and has almost everything I want in stock. That's a huge plus for me.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: Pcolon1]
      #6636960 - 07/16/14 03:33 PM

Once you get out of buying complete systems you end up "buying all over" in my opinion

C14 OTA -- Company Seven
G11 - the defunct Pocono
G11 - parts Losmandy
Vixen ED 102 SS: Astromart
Focuser for Vixen: Moonlite
Mirror for ten inch rebuild: OMI via Astromart
Focuser: Moonlite
GT130: Astro-physics
Visual backs and other accessories such as dielectrics: Astro-Physics
Saddle plates and weights: Casady (sob!)
Argo Navis: direct from Argo Navis (when company was new)
Eyepieces: Alpine, Astronomics, Astromart, Anacortes
Various things: Highpoint Scientific

When I set up my Newt I'm using a Losmand HD tripod with an adapter carrying an old AP900QMD and a customized Newt so you can see that having rigs like that tend to send one all over the astronomy parts map.

If you're buying complete systems it may be more logical to work with one vendor.

I bought what may well be THE LAST LOSMANDY FINDER BRACKET FOR SALE ON EARTH a few days ago from Anacortes, after calling OPT (another good vendor) and Scope City (discovering the latter is apparently out of business), and even Losmandy.

I'm finding that much of this is not so much price-hunting as trying to get stuff efficiently.

Greg N

cjameswalk
sage

Reged: 03/21/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #6637027 - 07/16/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

Astronomics for me but of course it helps that I can drive there in 30 minutes.

Lucky!!!!

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Are you dedicated to a Astronomy store? new [Re: cjameswalk]
      #6639978 - 07/18/14 01:04 AM

I've been to three brick and mortar astronomy stores, scope city in S.F. (now defunct); Orion in SF (they shut that one down); and La Maison de l'Astronomie in Montreal, which I really like, they have *some* stuff for the avid hobbyist.

I really like Brick and Mortar astronomy stores. I love the feel of being around telescopes. Nonetheless, where I'm at...most of these places are surviving by selling higher volume Meade, Celestron, and other products like Orion XT dobs.

They *have* to do that. You typically *don't* see Losmandy or Astrophysics or Paramount etc.

For that kind of stuff you have to go to NEAF or equivalent events in other parts of the country.

At astronomy shows you have both high low and middle ends represented, as a rule.

Anyhow my visits to astronomy stores have underscored to me that I mainly mix and match gear from a variety of sources and that my approach to the hobby only occasionally sends me to a shop, whether big or small. But I do get a kick out of going somewhere where they have two or three dozen scopes on the floor.

GN

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

#6646888 - 07/22/14 09:49 AM

Quote:

Well they told me they could not price match on this product. I understand completely. I'm still thinking Agena. In no hurry yet, But I'm sure when I order it will be here asap.

The harsh truth is that any store that does not price match is clearly not dedicated to you.

There are lots of factors that make up outstanding customer service, competitive pricing should be near the top of everyone's "Customer Service score card"

I think the OP's question is backwards. None of us should be dedicated to an Astronomy store. A better question is. Do you feel that your Astronomy store is dedicated to you?.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1372

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics