Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
hal2000

Reged: 01/16/11

Loc: County Antrim
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4412903 - 02/26/11 12:53 PM

Bit patchy here, but we're heading out anyway. Looks like the same over your way Peter.

Edited by hal2000 (02/26/11 12:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4412929 - 02/26/11 01:04 PM

Going out tonight. Sunny and 60s & 70s here in North Texas. Spring appears to have sprung! However, you can never be sure about the weather here. Last year it snowed on the first day of spring.

On the other hand, pollen counts are high and my newly acquired allergies to everything (it seems!) are registering it. Misery!

Used to be the only thing I was allergic to was ragweed. Now it's cedar. oak, elm, juniper, and everything else. Yuk!

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #4412946 - 02/26/11 01:09 PM

Skip I feel your pain. I'm allergic to grass and each spring I have to start my nasal spray a month prior to help keep infections at bay.

Enjoy your night! Looks like we're going to be cloudy, but since I was out every night this week, missing one night won't kill me

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4412954 - 02/26/11 01:12 PM

Thanks John. I'm not taking my scope tonight. I'm going to a Young Astronomer meeting with my grandson. YA is an offshoot of the Fort Worth club. There will be several scopes there. The LP is so bad that last time all my scope could get is Jupiter and a few stars.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hal2000]
      #4412971 - 02/26/11 01:20 PM

Quote:

Bit patchy here, but we're heading out anyway. Looks like the same over your way Peter.

Would appear so Stevie. Just on my way out now. By the time I've done my flask it will be all but dark.

Good luck to you.

Regards. Peter.

ftrobbie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Nottingham, UK
      #4413190 - 02/26/11 02:56 PM

Pete

Good luck

It's clear further south of you but I am afraid to say I over imbibed while England beat France. I feel slightly light headed or is that the whiskey afterwards

Cheers

Enjoy the Thermos

Rob

BruceG

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: Apex/N. Topsail Island NC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ftrobbie]
      #4413758 - 02/26/11 08:46 PM

Got to hope for next weekend. I'm in my light polluted skies this weekend and the visual back doesn't arrive until Monday. Although even without the scope last weekend was incredible with binoculars at the beach. Got to praise GoTo as I found myself automatically moving to things that were not naked eye visable. I just knew where to look from my observing with the 8 SE. Don't let anyone tell you the GoTo doesn't help you learn the sky it sure has helped me.

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BruceG]
      #4413819 - 02/26/11 09:15 PM

Sorry, fellas, didn't mean to get some of you going on the clouds. Just great here. I can just go outside and lie flat on my back for an hour or so and enjoy the view.....Monday, when the CPC 1100 arrives, is cloudy, of course. S'OK. Will take that time to get it all set up.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ftrobbie]
      #4414326 - 02/27/11 05:43 AM

Hi All,

My night turned out O.K but with a strange ending. The skies cleared completely and although not the best seeing, I stayed out over three hours.

The strange ending. Well, by accident I caught the On/Off rocker switch on the scope momentarily, and when I looked at the H.C it was telling me to realign. The switch did not go to the off position so the power must have only gone off for an instant.
It had the following effect.

I realigned using A2SA, slewed to an object,(M42) set rate 4, and used right and down arrows to center. I took the object just passed center with the down button and on releasing the button, the scope made a noise as if the anti - backleash was set for a sharp pick up, and the object "sprang" to the center of the FOV. I repeated the move, this time taking M42 further passed center, let go of the button, and again, same noise and M42 was centered.
This only happened with the down button,(scope moving up) and it happened wherever the objects I then tried were in the sky i.e up at 80 deg and down at 20deg. The other buttons worked smoothly as normal.
I suspected the Alt clutch but the object came to a stop in the center and did not drift at all. Tracking was also spot on. It only happened when I took the object below center. If I stopped above center, the object stayed where it was. Real strange!!!
I checked my anti backlash settings and they were as I'd set them.
It stayed that way for the remaining 1 hour 45 minutes of my session.
I hibernated the scope last night and on power up this morning, the effect has gone and all is back to normal. No more auto centering .

Anyone any ideas from what I've described.

By the way Rob, I was once off work over three weeks with a "Broken" thermos. Very painful.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#4414851 - 02/27/11 01:04 PM

The YA meeting last night was a bust for observing. All clouded up. Unfortunate too, since I had an Iridium Flare all cued up for the kids.

ac1
sage

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: Utica, NY USA
      #4417912 - 02/28/11 08:42 PM

CPC 1100 arrived today. After a weekend of call, I'm too damn tired to set it up....will have to wait another day or two. Prospects for viewing here are lousy for the next several days, anyways.

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4417942 - 02/28/11 09:02 PM

Congrats ac1! I look forward to shots of the new scope..

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #4418552 - 03/01/11 07:15 AM

Congrats on getting the CPC1100. I too look forward to seeing your pics.

TonyDralle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/06

Loc: Bethel Park, PA
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4418588 - 03/01/11 07:48 AM

Quote:

Prospects for viewing here are lousy for the next several days, anyways.

Having acquired a new scope, you expected otherwise? Your skies should clear around the time of the next full moon.

Congratulations! Be sure to report your first light adventure.

- Tony

mexjon
Poet Laureate

Reged: 12/01/10

Loc: Florida - Yucatan, Mexico
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ac1]
      #4418955 - 03/01/11 11:48 AM

Quote:

CPC 1100 arrived today. After a weekend of call, I'm too damn tired to set it up....will have to wait another day or two. Prospects for viewing here are lousy for the next several days, anyways.

Yeah yeah yeah, you got it! Now go away clouds. Shoo!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: mexjon]
      #4430510 - 03/06/11 04:36 PM

Hi Gang,
Just got in after two and a half hours in the Dream Maker (POD).
Not too much to report as the seeing conditions were as bad as they have been for a long time. The skies were clear but I think there must be lots of particules in the air as the light pollution seemed to be spread much higher into the sky than usual. Lots of trubulence too.
Even so, I did as I had planned and observed around the Monoceros, Canis Major area of the sky.(could not have picked a worse part if I'd tried under the conditions).
I manage to hit all my targets, (I tend to select a few and spend time on them), and it was fun teasing what I could out of them. It was O.C night with views of M46,47,48 and 50. NGC 2232,2286,2335,and 2343.
I'd had a quick look at Jupiter before I started (will lose it altogether soon) and it was good, showing its cloud bands off well despite the conditions and being low in the West. Missed the two day old Moon though, too low and too far west by the time I got viewing.
So good to be out under the star again.

Regards. Peter.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #4430842 - 03/06/11 07:42 PM

Spent a little time out myself. I caught the moon with Jupiter off to the left of it, both looked good with the 13mm Hyperion EP, It was around 6-30pm and both were low in the sky. Still I enjoyed the time out just chasing stars across the sky looking no where in particular but seeing every thing at the same time.....

mexjon
Poet Laureate

Reged: 12/01/10

Loc: Florida - Yucatan, Mexico
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4431498 - 03/07/11 02:24 AM

I went out and watched the strobe light show that the stars were putting on. Decided to just use my 8x40 binos because I knew with that twinkling there wasn't going to be much detail in anything. At least most of the clouds were off visiting relatives somewhere.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: mexjon]
      #4431583 - 03/07/11 05:29 AM

Hi John,
Is the strobe show an annual event or was it a one off.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4431590 - 03/07/11 05:39 AM

Quote:

Spent a little time out myself. I caught the moon with Jupiter off to the left of it, both looked good with the 13mm Hyperion EP, It was around 6-30pm and both were low in the sky. Still I enjoyed the time out just chasing stars across the sky looking no where in particular but seeing every thing at the same time.....

Hi Geoff,
Glad you manage to get out yourself and catch a view of the two day old Moon. What were the seeing conditions like with you?.

The Moon and jupiter looked good naked eye together in the West. The Moon was just too far West for me at 18.40 as I am restricted beyond 250deg. I only just caught Jupiter.
I wanted to catch the young Moon too, as I rarely get the chance to view it at that phase.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35792

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics