Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)
Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #5734915 - 03/15/13 08:38 PM

Thanks Peter. Yea, he aint so little, not like he ever was to begin with. 4 month checkup was 25 3/4" long and 16 pounds. He is sitting on my lap laughing away right now. Good times.

Back on topic, I thought about trying to do a little time lapse, though the low target will prove difficult im sure.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
langman78

Reged: 02/15/13

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #5735544 - 03/16/13 05:14 AM

Over 10 straight days of 33 to 38 degree C weather with clear evenings (a record here in Melbourne Australia in the month of March). The weekend comes pfffft cold and rain and cloud cover likely for most of the week. Only took advantage of one night but too hot and too many mosquitoes lol.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: langman78]
      #5735686 - 03/16/13 08:51 AM

Kudos to you Matt, for both your observation and your images of this comet,i`m feeling quite full of envy at the moment, as our chances here in the UK of viewing this comet have been very limited, mainly because it sets so fast as the sun goes down and is so low to the horizon during that time, plus the ever present poor weather condition we are having to put up with.

Again thanks for posting your captures,

best regards,

Tom.

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #5735710 - 03/16/13 09:07 AM

Wow, the comet is beautiful !!! I wish I could see it.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: langman78]
      #5735855 - 03/16/13 10:13 AM

Quote:

Over 10 straight days of 33 to 38 degree C weather with clear evenings (a record here in Melbourne Australia in the month of March). The weekend comes pfffft cold and rain and cloud cover likely for most of the week. Only took advantage of one night but too hot and too many mosquitoes lol.

I have a cousin who lives up the coast from you at Wombarra. We speak two or three time a week on Skype and he's been ribbing me something wicked about the good weather you have been enjoying of late.

Hopefuly, the worm will turn and I can get my own back.

Seriously, it's good to hear that someone somewhere is able to get some viewing time in.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Loc: Central Texas
      #5737528 - 03/16/13 10:49 PM

Got out a little this evening and it was very breezy. Tried to find Pan Starr again but my treeline is a problem when looking on the low west horizon. Stayed out for awhile but the wind won!

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5737535 - 03/16/13 10:51 PM

I have the same problem. The trees keeps me from seeing Pan Starr. But I did get some viewing and was able to get some pics of the moon and Jupiter. Not bad for a first attempt.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #5737584 - 03/16/13 11:08 PM

Yea, like I said in that pic... 5 minutes before, sky still too bright. 5 min after, comet is passed the trees. I got lucky. Clouds are heavy here tonight so no scope time anyways. Hope everyone else is fairing better.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #5737734 - 03/17/13 12:01 AM

Quote:

I have the same problem. The trees keeps me from seeing Pan Starr. But I did get some viewing and was able to get some pics of the moon and Jupiter. Not bad for a first attempt.

I like the trees and enjoy them other than when I have a telescope out Nice pictures you posted too!

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5757046 - 03/25/13 09:23 PM

Everything came into alignment (weather, time, and obligations) and I was able to do some early spring viewing on Saturday night. Had the scope out before dark and did a quick SS alignment on the moon. Was nice to get out and check out the moon in the day. Got a nice contrasty? view of the Bay of Rainbows. Was suprised with how well the mount was tracking at lunar rate. I didn't level the mount and even after 1 1/2 hours it was still dead center. Was searching with my binos for PanStarrs around dusk, but to no avail . Was quite annoyed at first but hey it was clear overhead . Went inside for awhile to warm up. It was 32F with 25-30 mph gusts, but it was clear overhead . Went back out with more clothing. Went to Jupiter to get some last views before it gets too low. Was having some difficulty picking up much detail especially with my eye tearing up from the cold wind. Seeing was 2/5 but with perseverance I was able to catch a glimpse of the equitorial bands with some finer details of swirls. The 4 G-moons were all visible 2 on each side of the planet very closely spaced.

Went over to M42 and added my O3 filter to add more detail.

I went back to the moon and the clouds started to roll in from the west.

I was in and out of the house to keep warm so my total observing time was probably 2 1/2 hours but I'll take it!

Clear Skies to all.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5765050 - 03/29/13 03:42 PM

Thanks for your report James. Sorry for the late response but I've been trying to take my thumb end off with the car door. All straped up and on the mend now.

Looks like your session was lots of fun, if you can call it so. Put me in mind of my last one. Still, your reward was that you managed to get behind the telescope and view an object or two objects.
I tried my UHC filter on M42 to good effect. May get the 03 later.

Regards. Peter.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5765891 - 03/29/13 10:46 PM

Thursday evening finally dot clear sky but no comet.Ay 45 minutes after sunset sky still too bright and hazy to he west,But with darkness,did enjoy an hour or so of checking out old standards:Sirius(brilliant and distinctly bluish),Jupiter (two bands) and 4 moons(the two smallest were very close,M42 very detailed(could see all 4 Trapezium stars at 32X,at 66X clearly seperated),the Pleiades,Mizar and Alcor,and more.

Setup with chair,7x35 vintage binos,and Meade 102 f7.8 achromat.On grassy hillside above home.

Without glasses could spot quite a few objects (which takes good seeing with MY eyes),with glasses ,hundreds;with binos Wow!,and with scope even more.

Downside is to the north,all the security lights or something meant only the brightest four of the Little Dipper were easily seen and the faintest just varely duiscernable.

I chose the Meade 102 for the session because it is very light for its aperture;but it really needs a better focuser as the stock model is on the sloppy and coarse side!

Friday night solid clouds hide the setting sun and are still there quite a bit later so am on the computer.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BigC]
      #5766343 - 03/30/13 09:17 AM

Peter-Hope your thumb gets better, remember car door vs. thumb...car door always wins.

Big C-Nice report sorry we both can't see that dang comet.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5766478 - 03/30/13 10:45 AM

Seeing conditions haven't been that good in my area. Maybe tonight or Sunday evening will show promise! Luckily I've good some good astronomy reading material piled up so I'm getting caught up with that

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5766502 - 03/30/13 10:55 AM

Thanks Big C. Pleased you were able to get out at last and spend some time observing some great old favorites. I try to spend time each year in and around Ursa Major.
I think we all have problems from time to time with security/street lights but you seem to have made the best of it.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5766515 - 03/30/13 11:03 AM

Hi CelestronDaddy,
Sorry to hear that you are suffering with the weather woes.
Many of us have resorted to having to read about our hobby this year as against doing any observing, due to the appauling weather.
Better things have been forecast here in England. Lets hope they prove to be correct for all of us.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5766821 - 03/30/13 12:53 PM

Hi Peter,

OUCH!!! I think that would have made me jump around while screaming many words not usually used in polite society. I might even have broken my toe kicking the car door as payback for hurting my thumb! Then I probably would have cried for my Mommy (or more likely, my Susan). She would have felt properly sorry for my thumb, but would have chastised me for my toe and trying to give the car door (an inanimate object) payback.

Hope it soon gets all better.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Qu├ębec, Canada
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Skip]
      #5766875 - 03/30/13 01:22 PM

My skies are filled with clouds since october. I will never see that comet!!

Sometimes it feels like i am living in England. When i was young, We had very cold nigths and days without clouds during winter. Now it is milder but always cloudy. i much prefer a nigth at-30C without clouds than a nigth at 0C with clouds

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: coutleef]
      #5766903 - 03/30/13 01:45 PM

I had some beautiful skies for a few nights but I was too sick to enjoy them. Stupid allergies..

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #5766946 - 03/30/13 02:13 PM

Hi Peter - Ive heard about your bad weather over there! Wished we could do something about it Sounds like a lot of us enjoy reading when not viewing. I'm at a Barnes and Noble right now visiting with grown up kids! I'm looking at some astronomy books in between visiting with them. Anyway I hope the seeing condition improves for both of us. Tony

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35347

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics