Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: coutleef]
      #5766959 - 03/30/13 02:18 PM

We need to find a way stop this nonsense We should demand good seeing conditions from now on

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5767658 - 03/30/13 09:29 PM

It is clear right now in the North East USA but Im sick and just dont have the gusto to go out. It will all be over for me in a week or two. Thats when the bugs come out. Living in the Meadowlands it becomes impossible to go in the yard at nigh during the warmer seasons.

James......Did you get out tonight?

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #5768429 - 03/31/13 10:08 AM

Got out last night and this morning to check out Jupiter and Saturn. I captured some videos. It takes me a little time to stack and proccess the results. Look for them on the original Nexstar AP thread.

Sorry to hear you're sick Sonny. Seeing was 2-3/5 early but seemed to get worse when I went out to see/capture Saturn. I know bug repelant is a no-no around your scope but campers use an electronic device attached to the belt. I've never tried one but they get good reviews.

Happy Easter!!

Edited by hopskipson (03/31/13 10:09 AM)

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
      #5768586 - 03/31/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

It is clear right now in the North East USA but Im sick and just dont have the gusto to go out. It will all be over for me in a week or two. Thats when the bugs come out. Living in the Meadowlands it becomes impossible to go in the yard at nigh during the warmer seasons.

Hope you get better soon.

I had my first clear night yesterday, at last. And the temperature was so mild. But darkness truly came after 8:30!!

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
      #5768587 - 03/31/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hope you get better soon.

I had my first clear night yesterday, at last. And the temperature was so mild. But darkness truly came after 8:30!!

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: coutleef]
      #5768755 - 03/31/13 01:01 PM

This time of year I usually tone down the astronomy and start introducing myself to as many fish as possible.
I tried a little summer viewing last year but it was pure torture. I lasted 10 minutes with the skeeters. I was getting bit like crazy. I couldnt concentrate.....and that was with an unhealthy dose of bug spray on.

Edited by sonny.barile (03/31/13 01:04 PM)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#5769059 - 03/31/13 03:33 PM

Hope you get feeling better soon.... Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5770205 - 04/01/13 06:59 AM

Hi,

Many thanks for your concerns over my injured thumb. Your good wishes, and humour, are much appreciated. I am happy to report that the healing process is progressing along nicely. Just wish it would stop knocking into things.

Sonny, Sorry to hear you are not feeling to good. Hope you will be on your feet again soon and again enjoying good health.

Thanks for all your posts on this thread. It's good to see how others around the world are getting along on the visual side of our hobby, and what objects you are all managing to observe. It also acts as a good referrence point.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #5771908 - 04/01/13 10:49 PM

Finally was about to get out tonight. Been pretty sick with allergies.

Seeing was about 2/5 but I got to test out my DIY focuser which worked great. So much nicer to focus with out having to wait for the shakes to stop.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ben2112]
      #5771943 - 04/01/13 11:14 PM

Ben, Oak and mold are very high in my area and a lot of people are having their yearly bout. I take allergy medication so that helps some. We've got rain and possible T Storms forcast for the next day or so. No getting out to observe any it sounds like. I'm enjoying reading threads on EP's, double stars, and here Glad the focuser worked well for you. I guess they are pretty handy! Hope you get over the allergies.... Tony

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5772070 - 04/02/13 01:38 AM

Sky looks great tonight(past midnight).Viewed a little while with Starblast 4.5 EQ. REALLY need to get obsevatory built.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: BigC]
      #5772260 - 04/02/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

Ben, Oak and mold are very high in my area and a lot of people are having their yearly bout. I take allergy medication so that helps some. Tony

Yep.. It's in full force this year with aux forces. The ENT said it was the worst year he had seen in a very long time.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#5825455 - 04/26/13 10:47 PM

Well.. I am out tonight.. Sitting in my light polluted heaven front yard.. Going to grab some pics Saturn. I can't wait to get to a dark site one day.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#5825527 - 04/26/13 11:58 PM

Well.. Seeing is poor and the high altitude clouds have rolled in.. Not sure how my pics are going to come out.. Waiting for the moon to come behind some trees just to view it before packing it in for the night.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5825664 - 04/27/13 03:45 AM

Good luck Ben. Hope things turn out O.K.

After the promise of clear skies here in Yorkshire, the clouds have won the night again. Strong winds are not helping either.

Thanks for all the pics.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5825835 - 04/27/13 08:10 AM

Had some great (for NYC) seeing last night. Did some imaging and viewing of Saturn. Was able to pop in my brand new from NEAF TV 11mm plossel with my 2x powermate (363x) ! Great sharp views, great CD and 4 moons. Was able to image with 3x barlow and will post later after proccesing.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5832366 - 04/30/13 01:39 PM

Hi,
As I mentioned in the A.P thread, I managed an hour at the eyepiece last night. The seeing conditions were abysmal, so much so that I resorted to looking at Jupiter, sinking low in the West, and Saturn, rising in the S.East. Also had a quick look at open clusters M35 to M38, just for good measure.
Still, it was good to be observing again after what must be one of the longest spells of non observing conditions we've had here in the U.K.
Still. it was good to be out and to give the scopes motors a chance to get rid of the cobwebs.

Regards. Peter.

jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
      #5833202 - 04/30/13 08:55 PM

Geting ready to go out and set up. By all indications tonite may be one of those nights you get only a couple of times a year. The AccuWeather astronomy forecasting excellent viewing tonite. Atmosphere seems very subdued and temperature is perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed...

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: jhirsch]
      #5834257 - 05/01/13 12:22 PM

Good sky!

Arrived home at 1 a.m. and saw many stars in pretty dark sky.With a few minutes of dark adaption saw all Little Dipper stars steady which is better than usual.

Took out the 130mm (f5 Newtonian)Celestron StarSeeker and had difficulty aligning because so many stars appeared in the eyepiece. Pointed the scope at Polaris using the RDF and couldn't find Polaris in the dozens of stars in the ocular!Fudged the alignment ,put in Saturn,it was off by a degree or more ,but moved scope to a likely candidate and there he was! Once re-aligned using Saturn the scope tracked well. Started with 25mm and worked quickly to higher power.

Probably the most detailed view before losing sharpness was with a nameless 3.2 UWA and 2X Celestron barlow giving a calculated 406X .

Using a 2mm planetary (nameless)at 325X was good but barlowing it to 650X was too much and image went soft.
Must have spent a half-hour just gazing at Saturn.Easily seen prominent yellowish color,multiple bands and one largish darker spot .bright white rings ,clear dark division,inner ring really hard to certify.

Perhaps Thursday evening can use the Z12 but rain forecast for entire weekend.

Really have to build some kind scope shelter;too much viewing time lost to carrying gear to best viewing spot.And need to better organize oculars and barlows so can try more intermediate steps of manification.500X (4mm pTMB+3x)might have worked last night except didn't have the 3x in my pocket!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: BigC]
      #5841620 - 05/05/13 12:51 PM

My area hasn't had a good night in a long time and I'm really hoping tonight might at least be decent. Some nights have been clear of clouds but transparency was not good. I'd like to try out some new EPs and get my 6SE out since I've only been able to use it a few times, g. Hope you all have some clear sky!

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35370

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics