Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: haytor]
      #4457312 - 03/18/11 07:51 AM

Hoping for you Tom ! Goodness knows you need a weather break from those drab Midland skies of late !

Mine too are supposed to be clearing by this evening to give a cloudless night according to the local forecast, (and we all know how reliable they are, don't we? ) but at the moment they do have some way to go. Currently, it's dull, totally overcast and raining !

(BTW. I can just see Andy, ("Mushroom Bill") gazing forlornly out of that IT office window, praying for clear skies but most of all, for 5:00pm !

Make it sooner Andy, and we might make a night of it yet ! Don't forget it's POETS day) !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (03/18/11 07:59 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Tel]
      #4457321 - 03/18/11 07:58 AM

Have faith Tel,

the cloud cover is moving southward and should in theory clear for you tonight, at the moment i have clear blue skies and a weird yellow sphere hanging in the sky. wonder what that could be

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #4457379 - 03/18/11 08:42 AM

Hi Tom and Tel.

Its also looking good for Yorkshire tonight. Last time out I used an old favorite of mine, i.e the constellation feature on the H.C.
I enjoyed it so much that I plan to do the same (different constellations) tonight all being well.
I wish you both well and hope your threatened clear skies materialise.

Regards. Peter.

MushroomBill

Reged: 02/26/09

Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: Peter9]
      #4457964 - 03/18/11 01:49 PM

I couldn't see out of the office window for all of the rain this morning. Its turning out nice now.

Hope everyone gets a good, clear evening - wrap up warm though!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: MushroomBill]
      #4459486 - 03/19/11 09:20 AM

HI,
My skies remained clear and so, despite the full Moon, (some objects are washed out but there's plenty that are not) I enjoyed a good few hours in Dream maker.
The highlights were Caldwell 58 (NGC 2360) O.C, Caldwell 64 (NGC2362) O.C and 145 Canis Major, a lovely double with Gold and Blue components.
Hope others also enjoyed clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4459681 - 03/19/11 11:38 AM

Good to hear you managed to get out Peter, same here, but i had forgotten about the moon being up which dashed any hope of my capturing any DSO`s, i could get them onscreen, but very poorly.

So instead i turned my attention to the lunar limb, here`s two images i managed to get, both taken with my 6" f/8 refractor,2X barlow, Spc900nc web cam fitted with IR/UV. filter.

Other image to follow,

Tom.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4459691 - 03/19/11 11:41 AM

Second image, i rotated this image 90 degrees, just looks better that way, well at least to me, LOL.

Tom

Peter9
Post Laureate

#4465837 - 03/22/11 09:18 AM

Managed another hour and a half at the eyepiece last night in far from ideal conditions.
It was a night of broken hazy cloud, and bright stars that always showed spikes no matter how good the focusing.
Viewed Beta Mons, a lovely triple star system with three bright young hot stars.
Spent some time on Saturn before the conditions finely made it impossible to continue.

Regards. Peter.

ftrobbie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Nottingham, UK
      #4466367 - 03/22/11 01:23 PM

Peter

I commend your dedication to the cause. I thought with the weather we had yesterday lunchtime, we were going to get another clear cold night, despite the MO suggesting otherwise. Last night like most others was WTW cloud with occasional clear patches rolling through. Not enough to want me to sit outside and view.

Now cocooned up in a POD with a permanent, or at least protected setup might make me think again. So keep up the running reports it is encouraging to know that it can be worthwhile outside.

Today looked promising earlier on but billowing cloud has arrived. Another night of doing something else, I suppose.

Regards

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ftrobbie]
      #4466458 - 03/22/11 01:59 PM

Thanks Rob.
Having the Pod, which affords a permanent setup and comfortable observing, has made a great difference.

There's still time for it to change, but it's looking good for tonight here in Leeds. Clear skies at the moment.

Hope you have better luck soon.

Regards. Peter.

ftrobbie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Nottingham, UK
      #4467023 - 03/22/11 06:06 PM

Just got back from playing 3 hours of tennis to see clear skies, oh pumperknickel.

Perhaps I need to arrange to do other things more often for the rest of you.

The extension dovetail arrived today, so looking forward to getting it fitted and using the scope safely.

Have fun

Rob

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: ftrobbie]
      #4467324 - 03/22/11 08:40 PM

Spent best part of the day in the garden under reasonably clear sky. Come 18-30hrs clouds banked up, same old same old...

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4468051 - 03/23/11 09:06 AM

My luck didn't hold. Got the same cloud cover as you've all been reporting.
Never mind, I've had my fair share of good luck.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#4468058 - 03/23/11 09:13 AM

Sorry to hear that Peter, personally i never bothered, tonight mist is forecast for my area for later, which is a shame because i wanted to shoot Saturn, oh hum!

Tom.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/10

Loc: De Leon Springs, FL
      #4468456 - 03/23/11 12:12 PM

We had some high thin clouds, so I used the small refractor since I wasn't going to stay out long.

I wanted to share how awesome Pleiades looked through the TV 32mm Plossl. The stars were bright & sharp and having the added sky around the cluster gave it a really neat appearance.

Tonight is looking great! I'm going to hunt some faint fuzzes that Uncle Rod wrote about in the April S&T.

Enjoy!!

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4469679 - 03/23/11 09:15 PM

Same here, Saturday is the one I want to be clear. The city is having an Earth day, with promises of lots of lights being knocked off between 20-30hrs and 21-30hrs. I am hoping it will be a lot darker..

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #4470330 - 03/24/11 07:17 AM

Last nights sky was clear and the transparency was "clean", but there was a breeze every so often that would cause the object in the EP to pulse. Between pulses the view was crisp and bright.

I took the "tour" and searched a large part of the sky for 2 hours or so. M108, M65, M66, The Ghost of Jupiter, M42, Pleiades, M82(the best I've seen it yet) and many double stars & OC/GC.

It was cool enough to need a fleece jacket, but very comfortable for viewing w/o mosquitoes(which are already back)

The transparency was so clean that I spent another hour or so viewing with the naked eye. The constellations were just popping out of the sky. Unfortunately, this may well be our last dry, clean sky for some months to come.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... new [Re: flboy]
      #4470406 - 03/24/11 08:37 AM

Hey John,

glad to hear you had a great time out there, sadly though my time out last night was totally wasted due to a heavy haze, i was trying to do some imaging,but after 2 and a half hours of sheer frustration i headed back indoors,maybe tonight!

God give me patience, but hurry!!!!

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: flboy]
      #4470422 - 03/24/11 08:44 AM

Quote:

Last nights sky was clear and the transparency was "clean", but there was a breeze every so often that would cause the object in the EP to pulse. Between pulses the view was crisp and bright.

I took the "tour" and searched a large part of the sky for 2 hours or so. M108, M65, M66, The Ghost of Jupiter, M42, Pleiades, M82(the best I've seen it yet) and many double stars & OC/GC.

It was cool enough to need a fleece jacket, but very comfortable for viewing w/o mosquitoes(which are already back)

The transparency was so clean that I spent another hour or so viewing with the naked eye. The constellations were just popping out of the sky. Unfortunately, this may well be our last dry, clean sky for some months to come.

Hi John,
Another feature in the menu's worth a try is the "constellation" one. It's very similar to the "tour" feature but it involves less moving around. When you've finished with one constellation you can just move on to the next.

Pleased you had a good night.

Regards. Peter.

flboy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Hope some of you guys are out there tonight.... [Re: Peter9]
      #4470837 - 03/24/11 11:53 AM

Hi Tom,

I hope you all get clear skies and soon Besides, I enjoy looking at yours, Tel's and everyone else images.

Hi Peter,

I tried the constellation mode once, but I didn't really didn't give it a chance. I'll give it another try tonight or tomorrow night. When I do constellations, I usually just enter the catalog number.

One thing nice about the tour mode is that it works one region of the sky at a time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35705

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics