Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Ryan 211

Reged: 09/14/10

Loc: East Texas
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Alex Post]
      #4814961 - 09/18/11 04:45 PM

Sorry for the late response Alex - but thanks for taking that image through its paces. Being the extreme novice I am, I appreciate you taking the time to add additional processing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Ryan 211]
      #4814972 - 09/18/11 04:52 PM

Ryan, novice or not, your use of the tools on hand and working with the data you were able to collect, was balanced and resulted in above average for NexStar results. Eric set a new bar for the NexStar and I am sure you are scratching your head as I am.

svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
      #4814993 - 09/18/11 05:08 PM

Correction - Photoshop CS3 is going for around $150 on ebay, about the same for CS4 and a bit more for CS5. So what version should I aim for? And is the Extended version of any help with AP? Conventional wisdom says go for the latest, but sometimes that is not true - sometimes newer being more clunky and complicated.

Thanks guys!

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: svtdoug]
      #4815037 - 09/18/11 07:48 PM

I picked up T-thread to 2" adapter here: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=7745

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#4815060 - 09/18/11 07:59 PM

Quote:

Correction - Photoshop CS3 is going for around $150 on ebay, about the same for CS4 and a bit more for CS5. So what version should I aim for? And is the Extended version of any help with AP? Conventional wisdom says go for the latest, but sometimes that is not true - sometimes newer being more clunky and complicated.

Thanks guys!

I do not think there were any changes worthy AP enthusiasts attention since CS2. Carboni's tools work identical in all versions. Carboni's tool is cheap add on with great value. I am still using a few functions. However, as I learned a bit Carboni's has its limitations and sometimes nothing can replace Curves tweaking. I am referring to the all time favorite Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE).

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
      #4815123 - 09/18/11 08:24 PM

Ryan 211

#4815169 - 09/18/11 08:44 PM

So Alex, I must ask - why the full 2" light path? Isn't the camera you're using a crop sensor? So there shouldn't be any vingetting (sp?), I think. Just personal preference and use of filters?

Just curious as I'm using 1.25" and didn't know what the advantages would be for imaging with 2".

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#4815216 - 09/18/11 09:10 PM

Ryan, I can't give you a justified answer other than I thought 2" would be "better" It worked very well for me since most of the accessories I have are 2".

Ryan 211

#4815257 - 09/18/11 09:34 PM

Sounds good - I can understand the "better" justification.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#4815805 - 09/19/11 07:42 AM Attachment (94 downloads)

Since Alex restarted this thread, I will add the moon.

Taken with...

Nexstar 8SE
Baader Zoom @ 24MM 1.25"
iPhone
No Processing

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #4816302 - 09/19/11 01:53 PM

Hi Doug,

Alex gave a good answer on which one to buy and the difference between one of the CS versions and Elements. I would definitely go with one of the CS versions (CS4 if I could afford it) becasuse of the more versatile curves function. You will probably use curves at least as often than levels and most likely a lot more often. One of the things Neal Heacock emphasizes is those multiple anchor or mode points to help in getting a smooth and versatile curve.

Matt: I think you had a question about Noel Carboni's Astro Actions. Having those actions which were recorded by Noel Carboni(they are really like mini-applications that you record in PS to automate a series of things you frequently do) is like having a Photoshop guru in your pocket and will probably be the best $22 you ever spent. Many of the actions have hundreds of steps and not only are the results very good, they save you tons of time. They come as a downloadable plug-in and you can purchase them from ProDigital Software on the web at http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html. I would say - VERY worthwhile!

BTW, you can record your own actions in PS too. But to try to replicate Noel's actions would take you probably years of experience in PS and lots of practice. Your time is worth something, isn't it?

Alex: Why CS4 instead of CS2 or 3? OCD is the only explanation I can come up with. My wife got CS4 for me while she had a student discount and I'm too cheap to spring for CS5, which would add almost nothing to my use of PS.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #4816311 - 09/19/11 01:57 PM

Hmmm... Seems I have a broken link. Try this one: Link

Beats the stuffin' out of me why the other didn't work Same url. Oh well, the mysteries of cyberspace!

Ryan 211

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4816862 - 09/19/11 07:06 PM

Matt - not bad at all for the iPhone. I remember using a point and shoot help up the the eyepiece before I got a DSLR - yours turned out better than any luck I had with that method.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#4817194 - 09/19/11 10:25 PM

Skip, I got CS3 and would not argue for anything better than CS2, from AP perspective.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#4817205 - 09/19/11 10:35 PM

Matt, very nice image with iPhone. The problem that I can see is that from middle and lower there is a bit of brownish color as compared to mostly grey image. In general, I am VERY interested what can be done with mass market devices like the iPone. Thanks for posting.

Ryan 211

#4817207 - 09/19/11 10:36 PM

Alex, since this thread seems to be open to questions regarding AP with the standard NexStar mount, I hope you don't mind fielding another question.

In some of your earlier imaging of the Plato crater, I believe you are using EP-projection. How exactly do you get a setup like that? I know that the Hyperion EPs have threads, and some chain of adapters could link it all together. But when it comes to function-wise, I'm not sure I can make sense of it in my head. Wouldn't you have to focus between the scope and EP, as well as somehow between the EP and DSLR? Or am I overthinking it and focusing the scope will go "through" the EP somehow and come into focus with the DSLR? Not sure if I'm making sense - but hopefully I am enough for you to understand my question.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#4817232 - 09/19/11 10:51 PM

Ryan, smart people at Baader and elsewhere figured it out for us. I would not even pretend to understand how optics work. I know that when I insert the Hyperions into the 1.25" or 2" holders as if for normal viewing, only instead of my eye there is a camera attached. The attachment between the Hyperion EP and the camera is super easy: all Hyperions have a thread hiding under the rubber cap. You remove the rubber cap, thread in adapter for t-thread and attach a camera. I will post a picture of the setup shortly.

Ryan 211

#4817249 - 09/19/11 10:56 PM

Hey Alex - thanks for the link to the adapter. Think I see a purchase in my future...

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

#4817782 - 09/20/11 10:11 AM

Alex, I found the T-ring for my wife's Canon DSLR, and the 2" T-Thread adapter, but could not find the 2" SCT female adapter. Could you post a link? Thank you!!

svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #4818343 - 09/20/11 02:38 PM

I called OPT to find that 2" SCT female adapter, the fellow could not find it at the time, waiting for a call back.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56192

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics