Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)
nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5438112 - 09/24/12 01:32 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

M 33

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5439152 - 09/25/12 04:23 AM

Hi John,

You say M33 was a tough one and it is, particularly when you're using an Alt/Az. mount and are thus time exposure limited, but you've captured it beatifully and processed it well !

Many congratulations ! It's nice when it all begins to come together !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5439155 - 09/25/12 04:34 AM

Great images John. Your M33 with the alt/az mount is outstanding.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5439727 - 09/25/12 12:45 PM

Thankyou guys for your help and encouragement . I am new to ccd imaging versus film deepsky astrophotography. And I must say I love ccd imaging!
If you are interested here is a link to my first post on Cloudy Nights and a look at my film work "back in the day"

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4648014/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Thanks for my viewing my pictures.
John

Tel
Postmaster

#5439952 - 09/25/12 02:04 PM

Hi John,

Well, having seen your link and the superb inroads you made into film based astrophotography, I feel as if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs !

Clearly, as they say, you've been there (before), seen it, done it and (definitely) got the "T" shirt !

Clever "stuff" from a true astrophotographer !

Best regards,
Tel

nomosnow
sage

#5440875 - 09/25/12 11:46 PM

Thanks Tel...I must say things have sure changed in deepsky astrophotography and..for the better.
I am definitley learning a lot and appreciate your help.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5446747 - 09/29/12 12:48 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

M27 10 lights + 10 darks in DSS slight processing in Elements 6. Plus cropped.
Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5446914 - 09/29/12 02:36 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Hi Grey,

Plenty of good data within your image as usual.

I'm never sure though, that even having read past advice, it is entirely necessary to match the number of Lights with the same number of DarKs.

It's not so bad when one's only using short exposures, but when one, (as you no doubt will), moves to another mount, starts guiding and thus is looking towards much longer "shutter openings" : well, personally, I can't stay the (time) distance at my age !

Thus, if I carry out 10 X 10 minute exposures, I look towards grabbing only something like three or four matching darks. Almost invariably, this suffices.

On top of that, I cheat at the processsing stage !

Our CN friend and colleague Haytor, (Tom), came across a piece of free software some time ago called Xmagic Denoiser, which is a "bolt-on" for P/Shop. It certainly appears to assist in terms of image noise reduction and removal !

Here, to some extent, is its effect on your M27 image.

Best regards,
Tel

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
      #5447068 - 09/29/12 04:27 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

M33 is a tough target. I traveled thousands of miles with my 8SE to a really dark spot in New Mexico and that's what I got (attached). M33 is a very good subject to try all you techniques. I think you got a bit more data than I did. What were your parameters?

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#5448799 - 09/30/12 04:49 PM

Tel
Thanks once again for the advice on processing and the extra work on reprocessing my data . It has been cold and raining here for a couple of days here but instead of using my time on processing I've wasted my time trying to get my astro laptop to work right, seems as though the touch pad developed a mind of its' own. It's a think pad lenovo and mouse pad just would not respond and the machine would seem to lock up. I was sure I had a virus or some other evil spirit occupying it. I did a reset to the original factory set up making it a brand new Machine with a messed up touch pad . About then my son showed up, he's a computer programmer so I explained my issues to him, these laptops have a red button that also works as a mouse along with a couple of extra mouse tabs.
It took him about 2 minutes to tell me one of the upper mouse tabs (that I never use) didn't feel right and might have dirt making it screw up the touch pad I've learned t love. A quick blast of compressed air around the tab and now it's golden. Sure glad I back up things fairly regularly. Just need to reload a few programs and I'll be ready to do some practice work. Thanks for all the help.
Be Well
Grey

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Alex Post]
      #5449321 - 09/30/12 10:24 PM

Hi Alex
I took about 20 , 14 second exposures of M 33 . Some of the images had to be deleted due to tracknig errors so I ended up with about 14 good ones. The camera used was a Mallincam Xtreme video camera designed primarily for "semie live" viewing and has through it's software the abilty to adjust gain(AGC) and brightness and contrast. You then can ( if you desire )store the images for post proceessing. The images then were stacked and cleaned up with dark subtraction with Deep Sky Stacker.
I hope this helps .
John

Tel
Postmaster

#5449601 - 10/01/12 04:01 AM

Quote:

Tel Thanks once again for the advice on processing and the extra work on reprocessing my data . It has been cold and raining here for a couple of days here but instead of using my time on processing I've wasted my time trying to get my astro laptop to work right, seems as though the touch pad developed a mind of its' own. It's a think pad lenovo and mouse pad just would not respond and the machine would seem to lock up. I was sure I had a virus or some other evil spirit occupying it. I did a reset to the original factory set up making it a brand new Machine with a messed up touch pad . About then my son showed up, he's a computer programmer so I explained my issues to him, these laptops have a red button that also works as a mouse along with a couple of extra mouse tabs. It took him about 2 minutes to tell me one of the upper mouse tabs (that I never use) didn't feel right and might have dirt making it screw up the touch pad I've learned t love. A quick blast of compressed air around the tab and now it's golden. Sure glad I back up things fairly regularly. Just need to reload a few programs and I'll be ready to do some practice work. Thanks for all the help. Be Well Grey

Hi Grey,

It's good to hear that your laptop is back up and running again.

I like the idea of giving it a blast of compressed air when one thinks of all the "grot" that must accumulate in all its nooks and crannies over the years of use !

Keep the images coming !

Best regards,
Tel

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

#5452222 - 10/02/12 04:21 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

OK so last night I only had a useable 15 shots at m57 ran a 50 exp /30s @3200 and 5 darks.Someone sent their unused clouds this way. Still using Elements6 for processing. Do have gimp2.8 installed but not ready to use it it will take time to understand the program.
Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

#5453123 - 10/03/12 07:03 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Hi Grey,

All the data's there once again and it looks as if the lesser number of "Darks" suffices.

Given though that planetaries are somewhat difficult to scale, is it possible that with your set-up you can get in closer to these relatively small DSOs to bring out the detail a little more ?

Here's one, for example, I took of the same back in '10 showing the central star. It's probably still a little on the small side.

(Obviously it all depends on what YOU want to get out of this. After all, it's YOUR image).

Best regards,
Tel

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5453797 - 10/03/12 04:10 PM

That is one of my favorite images from you, Tel. You can even see some of the red fringe around the ring.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5454506 - 10/04/12 02:22 AM

Good images. Grey may I suggest you buy and install Noel Carboni's astronomy tools? Those will be a big help with PSE 6.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5455157 - 10/04/12 02:03 PM

Maverick199
Thanks for the info I just purchased to download for Elements 6 and Installed it. It sure looks like an affordable way to go for me. I must finish the install on elements now. Wish me luck.
Be Well
Grey

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

#5465831 - 10/11/12 07:03 PM

I spent the first half of the week with the family at a beach house and, as I'd been hoping, the skies were much darker than they are in the backyard. The weather shut me down three of four nights, finally clearing on the last. The Milky Way was fantastic in the sky! I saw a galaxy other than ours for the first time as well, and I took a few pictures.

First, Andromeda. I've downloaded Ximage Denoiser as recommended, but I'm still muddling through all the settings trying to learn what does what. I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. Fifteen 29s exposures stacked in DSS and processed in Paint.NET with Ximage.

I also tried taking some pictures of the Pinwheel Galaxy. It proved... more difficult. As my second successful galaxy astrophoto attempt, I'm pretty pleased. Fifteen 29s exposures.

EDIT: I'm pleased, but I know they could be better. I always have an ear out for advice and suggestions.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5466265 - 10/12/12 02:13 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Here is Jupiter with my NexStar 5SE, using a NexImage 5.

The picture was taken September 29th at 2:12 a.m. EDT (6:12 UT). That's Io on the right. North is up.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5466329 - 10/12/12 04:21 AM

Hi WWG,

Congratulations on a very fine capture !

I was initially sceptical as to how the Neximage 5 would perform when compared to the original, but I'm beginning to realise that it is indeed superior and superior too against my Phillips webcam. Its image quality is certainly crisper !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59455

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics