Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5466332 - 10/12/12 04:37 AM Attachment (67 downloads)

Hi Mgauthier,

Equally so, many congratulations to you with your capture of M31, (with M32), and M33 !

You don't say which type of camera you're using, (a DSLR perhaps ?), nor whether you're employing a focal reducer, but you seem to be getting an excellent wide angle field; particularly suited to your capture of M31.

With regard to the M33 image, it looks as if it could benefit from a little longer exposure time but I do realise that this is difficult when using an alt./az. mount. So saying, I felt there was perhaps a little more data hidden in your image which I made an attempt to extract. I hope you don't mind my meddling and would welcome your further opinion and comments.

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #5466573 - 10/12/12 09:48 AM

Tel,

The NexImage 5 is very capable. Richard (rg55) has taken way better pictures of Jupiter with his NexImage 5. Here is an example of his work, also with a 5" scope.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5452078/Main/5451631

Steve

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5469535 - 10/14/12 10:33 AM Attachment (52 downloads)

Many thanks, WWG. It certainly looks as if the Neximage 5 has a lot more sensitivity than my Philips' webcam although of course there is a considerable difference in price.
I think I paid around 50, ($78), for my SPC900NC plus its IR blocking filter, whereas the Neximage 5 is priced at around 250, ($395) over here. Of course, as is almost invariably the case, that old adage "You get what you pay for" holds true, but that's one heck of a financial leap !

I managed to get this one of Saturn earlier in the year with the Philips with which I was well pleased. I think therefore I'll continue, at least for the time being, to explore ITS potential !

Once again, many thanks for you comments and advice; greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5469752 - 10/14/12 12:52 PM

Very cool Saturn there Tel. I like the colours on this one.

akulapanam

Reged: 08/27/12

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5469994 - 10/14/12 03:17 PM

I started my Nexstar photo quest back in April taking simple afocal shots both handheld and with an Orion adapter. In May I acquired a Canon T3 and focal reducer and began taking prime focus shots. I'm posting links below to some of biggest successes and failures. All the prime focus shots were shot with either of the following two configurations.

Nexstar se6
Celestron 6.3 focal reducer
correct DSLR Adapter
Canon T3

or for the greenish ones

Nexstar se6
Celestron 6.3 focal reducer
1.25" DSLR adapter
Orion Visual Skyglow filter
Canon T3

Most shots were stacking about 15 to 20 minutes of 10 to 15 second exposures combined with about 20 to 30 darks.

Lately I have been able to get 30 to 45 minutes worth of 20 second exposures and about 30 darks.

I shoot from the Dallas suburbs so my next purchase is going to be a CLS clip in filter and a GEM mount so I can get 60" to 120" seconds worth of exposure.

M2 V2

M2 V1

M13 V1

M13 V2

M63 no noise reduction

M63 noise reduction

NGC7129 - over an hour of 20 second exposures simply beyond this mount

M51

M17

M20

M8 - too much light pollution in this area of the sky

M57 only a couple of 10 second shots

M16 not enough exposures

Galaxies including M65

Single exposure NGC6826

Single Afocal exposure NGC6543

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: akulapanam]
      #5470134 - 10/14/12 04:37 PM

That looks great Tel! The spiral arms are much more obvious. What did you do to bring those details out like that?

I've been using a Canon EOS 1100D and connecting it to the 102 SLT with the t-adapter built into the telescope's 2" to 1.25" adapter. No focal reducers are involved, the short tube refractor just has a nice wide FOV to begin with. I'm thinking of buying a 2 inch t-adapter to slide directly into the larger focuser barrel to hopefully cut back on the little bit of vignetting I'm getting.

Edited by Mgauthier (10/14/12 04:48 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5471031 - 10/15/12 06:59 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Hi Mgauthier,

Many thanks for the information regarding the type of camera and 'scope combination you are using. That helps to put things into perspective.

I use Photoshop CS2 for processing so unfortunately I regret I'm therefore not familiar at all with the features of Paint NET but I'm sure it contains the following :

Levels.
Curves.
Brightness/Contrast.
Colour Balance.
Hue/Saturation/Lightness.
Unsharp mask.
Gaussian blur.

These features, common to most processing software packages, are about all I am manipulating in P/Shop.

If therefore Paint NET does indeed possess these features or most of them, the best way to learn basic processing is merely to practice with them. Thus if you don't have a sufficient number of potentially suitable images of your own on which to practise, then download a few posted here on these CN forums. (I'm sure no poster here would object so long as his or her image was only used for this purpose).

Another aspect to consider though is one of image scaling. Your combination presents a reasonably, (and thus often sought-after) wide field. However, as you can no doubt appreciate, this is not always advantageous.

Thus for example, if you wished to image the Ring Nebula, M57, its planetary size would be lost in a sea of background stars ! Here therefore, the use of a Barlow lens might be beneficial. Conversely, the whole of the vast Andromeda galaxy might fit nicely into the frame but only via the additional use of a focal reducer.

I don't know if you already use it, but I find the "New Astronomy Press CCD Calculator" an extremely useful software tool for deciding how any particular object will "fit the frame" depending on the set-up used.

If it is of interest to you therefore; here's the link:

http://www.newastro.com/book_new/camera_app.php

Attached also is a screen shot to demonstrate. Note that if you wish to use it, your Canon 1100D is not actually listed, but that's of no consequence. You merely need to enter the necessary parameters from your camera's specification.

Finally, on the subject of vignetting. Perhaps you'd like to post what you consider to be a vignetted image and I'll take a look at it with a view to adjusting it. When I've then figured out what I'm doing, (if I can) I'll let you know if I can provide a solution !

Hoping this helps a little,

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (10/15/12 07:05 AM)

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5484728 - 10/23/12 02:10 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

Here's my first "Jupiter and Orion are over the horizon now so I should start making sure my optics are functional and operational for the forthcoming season" shot.

Got Io, Ganymede and Europa with the Neximage cam and an IR cut filter. Using astrocapture at FPS 5 and 1/25 shutter, about 700 frames through Reg6.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5484786 - 10/23/12 05:16 AM

A well detailed image, Tim, and a nice capture of the "Galileans" !

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5484820 - 10/23/12 06:57 AM

Excellent image Tim!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5484947 - 10/23/12 09:36 AM

That's a lovely shot Tim. Well done with the Moons.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
      #5493798 - 10/28/12 10:11 PM

Tim, very fine moon shot. I think it would look grander if there was a bit more black around Jupiter?

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Alex Post]
      #5494105 - 10/29/12 05:30 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

In fact I've just noticed that it looks like you're Neximage has also captured a few background stars, Tim. (Top left). I didn't think it was that sensitive !

Many conngratulations once more on a great image !

Best regards,
Tel

Edit: Hmmm ! I'm not sure as I can see them now on the image as published here on CN !

Edited by Tel (10/29/12 07:44 AM)

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5494345 - 10/29/12 10:04 AM

I've captured many stars with my Orion Solar System II camera. The Philips SPC900 works equally well. The bright ones show up fine but the subtle background is lost in noise and lack of sensitivity. Try yours on a star cluster and you'll be surprised.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5494411 - 10/29/12 10:41 AM

Excellent image Tim, next time maybe you could try to barlow and see?

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5494479 - 10/29/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

Hmmm ! I'm not sure as I can see them now on the image as published here on CN !

That's OK Tel. At our age we often see spots in front of our eyes. For me, it's especially true after a nip from my bottle of MacAllans.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5494578 - 10/29/12 12:35 PM

I thought the influence would have worn off on me by the time I played with Tim's image this morning, Skip ! I could have sworn I saw at least three of them. (Top left) !

Tell me they're there ! Otherwise, never again.................................... at least until the next time !

Best regards,
Tel

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5510973 - 11/09/12 02:22 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Jupiter looked pretty cool tonight. No Giant Red Spot, but maybe later this winter, we'll see. I'm hoping my boss and Santa get along this year so I can get some new imaging toys, but I'm getting better at maxing out the Neximage cam.

About 200 frames through wxAstrocapture, 1/25, F5, and Registax 6.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5511045 - 11/09/12 05:00 AM

Hi Tim,

Congratulations on a very detailed image particularly with only 200 frames ! A great achievement !

Did you "Barlow" the Neximage ?

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: Tel]
      #5511197 - 11/09/12 08:30 AM

Lovey shot Tim. The cloud belts are showing very well.

Thanks form posting.

Regards. peter.

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56315

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics