Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | >> (show all)
MushroomBill

Reged: 02/26/09

Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5979957 - 07/19/13 02:48 PM

Thanks Tony, James and Peter. Much appreciated.

Hoping for another clear night and might try the Heart Nebula. Although I may just take the sleep option!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5980252 - 07/19/13 05:45 PM

Mushroom Bill - Just awe inspiring.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: ben2112]
      #5981347 - 07/20/13 12:18 PM

That`s a very nice trio of images Andy, very well and nicely done

Really like the Ha mono image of the Lagoon(but then i would say that being a mono imager).

Will get round to answering your emails tomorrow, been busy these last few days.

Again, most impressed with your captures these past few months, onward and upward.

best regards,

Tom.

MushroomBill

Reged: 02/26/09

Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: haytor]
      #5981822 - 07/20/13 06:50 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Thanks everybody I really appreciate your comments and encouragement . However I've reached the point now where I need a few days off to recover!!

To bow out for now then, I'll leave you with last night's attempt at a Heart Nebula mosaic.

I used EQMosaic for the first time to align the panels. Unfortunately I got my sums wrong somewhere!

This shot was made up from 9 panels. The main features were made up of 5 x 15m subs in Ha. Towards the end of the session it was getting light and I was running out of time so I cut the exposure length.

Captured in Nebulosity, stacked with DSS. A bit of Photoshop and then stitched together using MS Ice.

I shall come back to this another day to fill in the gaps and balance it out a bit more!

Goodnight all and thanks again!

Andy

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: MushroomBill]
      #5982674 - 07/21/13 10:02 AM

Awesome and detailed.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5982712 - 07/21/13 10:29 AM

Andy, I think you have out done yourself again.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5985568 - 07/23/13 07:23 AM

Great job Andy, a very nice attempt with the mosaic, WOW, what a FOV it produces, some really nice detail in there.Many congrats from me.

best regards,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6003203 - 08/02/13 01:17 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi Folks,

I know ...... I've been putting it off because I'm still not sure what I'm doing in this field of astro-imaging, but finally I've made a further attempt at "bi-colouring* the image of the Crescent Nebula, (NGC 6888), I captured back in June.

The attached therefore makes use of the "Hubble Palette" technique where images, taken in both hydrogen alpha and oxygen lll, are used as "Red" and "Green" respectively while "Blue" is produced from a copy of the Olll image.

All colours therefore, like those used to show Hubble Palette images, are artificially produced but nevertheless, are arguably pleasing on the eye.

Image data:-

Original Ha and Olll images, (10 of each of 5 min. exposure time), taken with a "cheapo" Phenix 4" f/5.9 Achromat on a Skywatcher HEQ5Pro GEM guided by a Nexstar 8i OTA at f/6.3.

Capture camera: Atik 314L. Guide camera: Meade DSI Mk.1

Captured, stacked and processed in Nebulosity 2. Further processing in both Registax 6 and P/Shop CS2. Original B/W image used as a Luminence frame.

Guiding via PHD software.

Thank you for looking.

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #6017200 - 08/10/13 08:57 AM

Nice work Tel. Can`t get my head around this hubble pallete stuff, better i stick with mono for now, LOL.

Blimey, this thread has gone quiet of late, mind you, i can talk, not been out much at all this summer myself to do any imaging, still, winters on its way, longer darker skies will help a great deal, weather and conditions permitting of course.

best,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

#6017748 - 08/10/13 02:50 PM

Many thanks, Tom, for your kind comments. Much appreciated !

I have to say that I'm still a novice where "Hubble Paletting" is concerned but I'm sure that before long, I should be able to produce colour nearer to that which is, (perhaps), recognised as more authentic: ..... whatever that means !

(As you and I and many of friends and colleagues here on CN know, we've been down the "Colour Authenticity Road" many times before, and still reached little in the way of conclusion) !

Best regards,
Tel

rockstarbill
sage

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #6022160 - 08/13/13 03:14 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Did manage to get M13 with my DSLR set up. I made attempts with the Hyperstar configuration but failed at getting the focus spot on - thus the images were useless. Once my Bahtinov Mask arrives I will try again.

Anyhow, here is the M13!

Full image here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9BD07ECBFEA191DA!1949&authkey=!ANa3...

Edited by rockstarbill (08/13/13 03:19 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6022205 - 08/13/13 04:49 AM

rockstarbill, thats a nice capture of M13 ,you have captured the "propeller"(sp?) nicely at the core, core is not blown out which is always nice to see.

What time exposures did you use and how many subs stacked??

Nice work,

best regards,

Tom.

rockstarbill
sage

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: haytor]
      #6022208 - 08/13/13 04:55 AM

This was 40 subs at 30 seconds each. No flats, as I really have not found a good method for taking flats in either DSLR set up or with Hyperstar.

Edit: Where are my manners, thank you very much for the positive remarks!

Edited by rockstarbill (08/13/13 05:02 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: haytor]
      #6022211 - 08/13/13 05:01 AM

Hi RockstarBill,

Congratulations on a very fine image of M13 !

As Tom has said, you've kept the core well in check with no over exposure.

I did however have a quick "look" at in P/Shop, (sorry, I can never resist), and I think you'll find you can pull even more data from this image without over-exposing the core.

By the way, I can appreciate the difficulties in focusing a Hyperstar system since at f/2 or thereabouts, the "sweet spot" is very small, but how do intend to use a Bahtinov mask with the Hyperstar in place ?

Best regards,
Tel

rockstarbill
sage

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Tel]
      #6022212 - 08/13/13 05:04 AM

Quote:

Hi RockstarBill,

Congratulations on a very fine image of M13 !

As Tom has said, you've kept the core well in check with no over exposure.

I did however have a quick "look" at in P/Shop, (sorry, I can never resist), and I think you'll find you can pull even more data from this image without over-exposing the core.

By the way, I can appreciate the difficulties in focusing a Hyperstar system since at f/2 or thereabouts, the "sweet spot" is very small, but how do intend to use a Bahtinov mask with the Hyperstar in place ?

Best regards,
Tel

Thanks! The image you see if you look at the "full version" is only slightly processed as I still need to work on my processing skills! Feel free to give it a go!

The mask I bought has a hole in it to allow it to pass over the secondary, and since the QHY8L is smaller in diameter than the secondary, it will cover the area of the primary just fine.

I am uploading the stacked and completely unprocessed version now... I have slow DSL here (cable is being installed; it required construction though)... So once it is there I will share a link to that too.

Edited by rockstarbill (08/13/13 05:25 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6022238 - 08/13/13 05:35 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Hi Rockstarbill,

Bahtinov mystery solved and thanks for the invitation to take a look at your M13 in P/Shop !

Here, attached, is what I've pulled from the original image after about 10 minutes P/Shop CS2 processing, (which is probably sufficient). I hope it meets with your approval.

Incidentally, how are you going about taking "Flats" ? This image was not at all bad in terms of vignetting, (mainly just a little towards the top left corner).

Once more, congratulations on a very nice, not overexposed image which is, in my opinion, paramount to further processing whatever the software used.

Best regards,
Tel

rockstarbill
sage

#6022253 - 08/13/13 05:45 AM

I took no flats. I am actually terrible at it, and could use some help with how to take good flats in both configurations (DSLR and Hyperstar). Ive tried the T-shirt ideas, the twilight ideas, and I think I am just not clear on how to grade them when I am taking them.

That image looks great, Tel! The one thing I was trying to preserve when I was processing was the slight orange-ish glow from the prominent foreground stars in the cluster. The authenticity they lended was important to me, but as I pushed the processing they all but got drowned out and ended up white. That is why I processed it to the point where I left it.

The stacked and aligned version is here:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9BD07ECBFEA191DA!1952&authkey=!ALy2...

Thank you for the kind words. I am really new at photography entirely. So I have spent a great deal of time working on exposure times, getting really good at framing (note the framing on that is pretty much dead on), and that night I just got lucky and it all came together nicely.

Sadly, CCD imaging requires me to learn gain and offset, as opposed to ISO with DSLR's so I am back to more Greek!

Note: I did use Gradient Xterminator on the version you worked with in PS.

Edited by rockstarbill (08/13/13 05:48 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

#6022254 - 08/13/13 05:50 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Or maybe this version ?

I have now noticed that there is a little more light gradient than I first thought, so I've tried to reduce it further through a few P/Shop "Dirty Tricks".

Best regards,
Tel

rockstarbill
sage

#6022264 - 08/13/13 06:01 AM

Quote:

Or maybe this version ?

I have now noticed that there is a little more light gradient than I first thought, so I've tried to reduce it further through a few P/Shop "Dirty Tricks".

Best regards,
Tel

Again - nice job sir! I need to spend some time working on processing skill development. I really want to get a bunch of data and then process it all over and over and over to learn from. The problem with that is those darned clouds...

Tel
Postmaster

#6022269 - 08/13/13 06:11 AM

Hi Rockerbill,

Your skill in framing and choice of exposure time, (certainly as far as this image is concerned), is second to none.

Given though you've employed the Gradient Xterminator I'm surprised the vignetting in this image wasn't eliminated.

Actually I've no experience with this particular "Plug In" to P/Shop: I, in fact, applied another "Dirty Trick" which our CN friend and colleague Uggbits taught me sometime ago.

I have to say that it doesn't work consistently but can often be effective. If you have P/Shop, I'm sure Uggs" wouldn't mind if I share it with you !

As to taking Flats, it looks as if you've tried the "Usual".

Leave it with me: I'll see what I can come up with.

Meantime, others might be able to help you better in this respect over on one of the "photographic" forums.

Incidentally, what capture software are you using ?

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86462

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics