Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Naturlich]
      #4830329 - 09/27/11 12:10 PM

That's a nice Orion image Nat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Naturlich
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/30/09

Loc: Dukinfield, Cheshire, UK
Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4830352 - 09/27/11 12:23 PM

Thanks Art!

Funny that the little 4" actually produces better images of M42 than the 10" can.. might have to work on that lol But so far I'm very happy with the 102. I need to do more testing with the OIII filter next time to see whats best for what target, but it's definately opened up more options that the 10" just doesn't have the FOV for or is too slow. Looks like we could have a few clear nights, so lots of work ahead

Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

#4830466 - 09/27/11 01:10 PM

Naturelich, I think your meade has a mosiac mode built in. If you use a mosiac (it takes longer) you can get an incredible image of m42 with your 10''. Make sure you reduce it to 6.3 because the field-flattener will help. There will be a large advantage in resolution with this method, at a loss of time. I'd say do something like 9 panels at 30 minutes each (4.5 hours over a couple nights) and you'll get a stunning image.

Edit - also great images. The m42 is a great widefield shot, and now you have me wanting to go out and image the Veil.

Edited by Uggbits (09/27/11 01:11 PM)

Naturlich
Carpal Tunnel

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Uggbits]
      #4830535 - 09/27/11 01:53 PM

Thnaks Uggbits!

I'll look into that mosaic mode. My LX200 is an upgraded hybrid, the electronics have been replaced with improved systems and uses the Autostar 497 now, so you can think of it as a really big ETX, but I'll have a look through for info. If not I guess I could do it manually anyway, it's not M42 is going anywhere lol

If I may, I'll just show an example of what I get with the Canon 400D at prime focus through the 10" pointing at Orion, as you can see, the nebula is much fainter and less defined than through the 4", but it could be worth trying out a mosaic with the skyglow filter and see what comes out.

M42
LX200 10"
Canon 400D Prime Focus - *Sky Glow Filter

*Edit: Just checked, I did use the Skyglow filter with this one.

Edited by Naturlich (09/27/11 01:58 PM)

Uggbits
sage

#4830561 - 09/27/11 02:07 PM

What kind of exposure length (both total, and subs) are you using? I think I posted in the last iteration of the imaging thread about needing enough exposure per sub to grab the photons from the faintest stuff you are interested in capturing. With Orion it isn't much of a concern, but with a light pollution filter and a properly functioning mount, you should really be pushing past 30 seconds, and likely hovering at 45 seconds per sub exposure. The filter will eat some light (and hopefully lots of light pollution), so you need to counter this by lengthening the individual exposures to maintain a high SNR.

There is an abundance of detail in that shot of M42 - imagine that much detail across the entire nebula. This is the advantage of using such long focal lengths provided the atmosphere can support it.

Your exposure of M42 from the 10'' shows that you really do need to mosiac to get the "big picture." How long was the total exposure on that? It looks about the same as a 1 minute sub from the yellow zone my Mom's.

Naturlich
Carpal Tunnel

#4830593 - 09/27/11 02:31 PM

I'm typicaly using 30 second subs since I'm working in Alt/Az, when I'm working with the 10" I normally go for 100x30 second subs, but looking back at my notes that image is 47x20 seconds @ ISO 1600 with Skyglow Filter giving total exposure of approx 15.6 mins. It was taken before I started my overhaul of the fork mount so I was probably limiting my single exposure time to reduce tracking errors, although I'm surprised I only stacked 47 subs, I didn't make any notes of problems, just what I did for the image, that said, the 102mm has alot less than 47 subs, but at a longer exposure of 30 seconds.

Uggbits
sage

#4850999 - 10/08/11 06:34 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Took my first shot of M45 for the season last night. It was an interesting night - nearly full moon so the conditions were less than optimal. Sadly that's the weather at this time of the year. Fog continued to move in below us during the night, and Victoria was covered in a blanket of fog, making observatory hill appear to be standing on the shores of an ocean - quite crazy to descend into for the drive home.

A sliver over 1h of 30s exposures. Canon XSi iso1600, through an SVR90t (no flattener/reducer at this point). Bias dark and flat frames used for calibration.

The mount was the club HEQ5pro, but it was a 1/5 for transparency, and with the Moon going over 30s exposures didn't make sense.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#4851681 - 10/09/11 07:22 AM

Despite the conditions, that's a nice image Ugg!

Uggbits
sage

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #4852620 - 10/09/11 07:07 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Thanks Arthur!

It's been cloudy lately, so now that I have some fresh data I have an "itchy" finger and had to re-process it at least once! This is my latest go, hope you like it (it feels more natural to me).

svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
      #4853272 - 10/10/11 03:31 AM

Nice image Uggbits. I hope to be back in business soon with a new CGEM that is on its way.

BTW, we are currently in Genoa Bay tonight - just up the road from you. Tomorrow we are likely heading for Sidney.

Cheers,
Doug

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: svtdoug]
      #4853290 - 10/10/11 04:29 AM

Nice imaging, Uggs ! I particularly like the second. The nebulosity is brought out so beautifully !

Congratulations !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #4853320 - 10/10/11 05:25 AM

Nice images Uggs. I too particularly like the nebula brought out in the second image.

Regards. Peter.

Uggbits
sage

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #4853839 - 10/10/11 12:34 PM

Doug, I'll be in Duncan for dinner, and am just visiting my Mom's in Cobble Hill. You're in the victoria club right? (I think you were by me at the star party, one over from John?).

Thanks guys! I'm hoping for some clear skies the coming new moon. I'm chomping at the bit for a few more hours on M45 and then a Orion. I want to make Orion a winter project- 10+ hours (maybe 20+!).

Kim2010
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/21/10

#4854222 - 10/10/11 03:59 PM

WOW! Those images of the Pleides are stunning, Uggbits!

Kim

svtdoug
sage

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Kim2010]
      #4858639 - 10/13/11 01:39 AM

Hi Uggs,

No, I live in Gig Harbor, WA...so no - I'm not part of the Victoria Club. We were up in your neck of the woods on vacation. Had a very nice Canadian Thanksgiving dinner in Sidney at a great little Swiss restaurant.

So close, would have been fun to meet you, but with travel friends and spouse, that wasn't in the cards. Maybe next time we are up your way.

Keep up the good work on the imaging! My CGEM arrived today, so will be fiddling with it for the next several days! Then I have a lot to learn.

Cheers,
Doug

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
      #4859919 - 10/13/11 09:16 PM

Uggbits,

second image is a big improvement on the first version. I do not see any unwelcome artifacts after additional processing. This is a very solid M45 image. I am looking forward to throwing my CGEM with the original orange tube at it full force this Fall.

Thanks for posting and press on.

Uggbits
sage

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Alex Post]
      #4863136 - 10/15/11 08:56 PM

Thanks Alex,

I tore it right down and started from scratch again. I had to get inventive in the processing due to the near full Moon. The contrast in the SV90t is spectacular: I credit it with the fact that I was able to separate the nebulosity from the background.

It is probably the most technically sound processing I have done yet, and for any newer imagers there are two main reasons for this; calibration, and a high signal to noise ratio. I was shooting under moonlight, so going for long exposures was pointless (they would wash out), but total exposure was as always very valuable. I took flats, darks, and bias frames. Not only did I take them, but I took lots of them. My individual frames were only 30s long, and I couldn't really make out the nebulosity frame to frame. Sometimes I convinced myself it was there, but I couldn't really tell (it was at best very weak). Despite this just an hour of data provided both a good amount of data, and a pleasant image to work with. This is because I took lots of light frames (about 140 or so). That many frames smoothed out the background quite well, and left a nice image to work with.

So, for all budding imagers - if the conditions suck, cut exposure length, and just take lots of them. At worst you'll end up with a smooth image that is easy to work with (although it may be devoid of data!).

Alex, I look forward to your result. I can only imagine what you'll be able to pull out with an 8". My CPC has "horseshoes" all over this target, so I can admit I was pleased that everything remained tight in the refractor on a relatively bright/challenging object. As a suggestion, this could be an interesting target for you to do as a mosaic at f10. It would take a long time, but you might be able to catch some impressive detail (without those pesky horeshoes may I add).

I'll try to press on: I have been having problems with my CPC lately. I can get it up on the wedge, with at least a decent polar alignment, but it is "skipping" in its tracking. I have been trying to make sure this isn't a balance issue, but it is frustrating to track down at the least. Alt/az is just so much easier :P. I don't keep my CPC with my at school, so I use an extra club mount for my refractor, but every time I come home I tinker trying to get it figured out.

Doug, I think you might have been a bit perturbed to meet me: I'm a 22 year old history major at Uvic. Definitely not the typical age of an amateur (at least in my area).

Sorry for the longwinded reply - I'm procrastinating from writing a paper and for some reason writing a small one to you guys is a pleasant alternative. (I just did a word count, and this is half the required length of my paper... it took 5 minutes to write this yet I haven't finished the paper after a few hours of work!)

Cheers!

Dan

svtdoug
sage

#4863158 - 10/15/11 09:12 PM

Dan,

No I would not have been perturbed at all. Sometime I would love to meet this 22 year old college student who produces great images with an alt/az mount and pick his brain!

Good luck with that paper...

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Uggbits]
      #4863605 - 10/16/11 05:33 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the longwinded reply - I'm procrastinating from writing a paper and for some reason writing a small one to you guys is a pleasant alternative. (I just did a word count, and this is half the required length of my paper... it took 5 minutes to write this yet I haven't finished the paper after a few hours of work!)

Cheers!

Dan

I wonder why we do that

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Uggbits]
      #4864168 - 10/16/11 01:17 PM

Quote:

I wonder why we do that

Because writing the paper for school smacks of WORK. Writing a long post here is almost always a pleasure. I am the world's biggest procrastinator. I have lots of things I SHOULD be doing but this is a lot more fun! Just ask my SWMBO, as she stands there tapping her foot shaking my honey-do list in her lovely hand!

By the way, I used the words "lovely hand" to placate her as she watches me type this. No workee! She just told me to knock off the snow-job BS and get this stuff done!

Yikes - later guys.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86392

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics