Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | >> (show all)
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Neximage new [Re: Peter9]
      #5522448 - 11/16/12 08:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lovely to behold! What's that darkish 'Y' patch in the middle called?

Pacmans mouth. ??????????

Great image Milby.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

No the one in the middle of the nebula itself.

I see it Haseeb, but have not got a clue as to if it has a name.

Regards. Peter.

Been out of the loop for a week or so,but great to see some very nice images coming through from you guy`s, wish i had something to offer image wise

Hi Haseeb,Peter,

With regards to the above question by Haseeb, if you mean the small dark patch in the centre of the nebula, its whats known as a a Bok Globule, an area of dark dense cloud that sometimes gives rise to star formation, more info can be found if you google "Bok globules".

best regards,

Tom.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Neximage new [Re: Tel]
      #5522509 - 11/16/12 09:34 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Hi Tel, the Neximage shot did not come out well and this I suspected as much due to haziness and lots of suspended particulates I guess. Here it is though I prefer the one with DSLR.

I have been using Registax 4 which came along with the Neximage in the form of a CD and seems simple enough to understand except the part where I don't seem to get colour.

This image however, only today I installed Registax 6 with the updated version, i.e., 6.1.08 which seems better than the 6 version. Maybe you could give it a try?

Thanks Tom for your kind words and explanation of that mysterious 'y'.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Neximage new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5522846 - 11/16/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

I did however "push" the coloured version in both Registax and P/Shop, mainly because I'm experimenting a little at the moment with my Registax processing: (I've been reading up on the use of different techniques lately and wanted to put them into practice).

Hi Tel,

When you get a good workflow decided, please post it. I've basically been flopping around in Registax. I use 6, but still have 5 installed.

Thanks,

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Neximage new [Re: haytor]
      #5522927 - 11/16/12 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lovely to behold! What's that darkish 'Y' patch in the middle called?

Pacmans mouth. ??????????

Great image Milby.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

No the one in the middle of the nebula itself.

I see it Haseeb, but have not got a clue as to if it has a name.

Regards. Peter.

Been out of the loop for a week or so,but great to see some very nice images coming through from you guy`s, wish i had something to offer image wise

Hi Haseeb,Peter,

With regards to the above question by Haseeb, if you mean the small dark patch in the centre of the nebula, its whats known as a a Bok Globule, an area of dark dense cloud that sometimes gives rise to star formation, more info can be found if you google "Bok globules".

best regards,

Tom.

Thanks Tom. Interesting stuff. I am a wiser man.

Good to see you back

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage new [Re: Peter9]
      #5525562 - 11/18/12 06:12 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

My best attempt of M 45 at the worst possible conditions. Imaging within a city itself is not advisable but with haze enhancing the sky glow is even worse. But what to do, hardly five nights from past five months makes a man desperate.

49 x 80 secs with Canon 70-200mm f/4l at 200mm f/5.6 unguided. Tried to add darks but they were mismatched.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5525564 - 11/18/12 06:13 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Crop of above.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5525598 - 11/18/12 06:58 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hi Haseeb,

I am very much in sympathy with you. It's also been somewhat of a rare event this year for me to be able to get out and do something under good skies, (although mine are nowhere near as bad as yours appear to be) !

As to the image, it has obviously suffered accordingly but perhaps not all was lost, (see attached). Not good but perhaps retrieved to a tolerable degree ?

Don't let the weather get you down. I have it on good uthority that it WILL change !

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5525615 - 11/18/12 07:20 AM

Definitely better Tel. I tried using that 'lasso tool' you mentioned early on and was able to 'inverse' and do the background darkening. However, that left the main object some scars. You seem to have managed nicely though there is a bit of scarring effect which I guess can't be helped. Thanks.

I only hope weather improves before my next attempt.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5525634 - 11/18/12 07:50 AM

Hi Haseeb,

Indeed, I used the lasso and the inverse to tackle both the background and the Pleiades separately, but in addressing the whole M45 cluster, I did not make one single loop around it but broke it up using three loops. There seemed to be more control by this means.

To do this, if you're not acquainted with the technique, put a lasso loop around whatever object or portion of an object it is necessary to do so, and then, if you want more, shall we call them "sub-loops", hold down the shift key and you should see a little plus sign (+) appear at the side of the lasso symbol. This will enable you to place as many loops around as many objects at any time as you may require.

Hoping for good weather too !

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5525653 - 11/18/12 08:06 AM

Hi Haseeb, i feel for you and share your problems, a very brave attempt on your part given the conditions you were required to work under, and yes i also agree that desperation drives us even when things are bad, so saying, i spent over 5 hours in my obs last night, freezing cold and with a WNW breeze bringing in moist air,which prevented me from getting any worth while captures, so that makes me either dedicated to my hobby, or just plain nuts

best regards,

Tom.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage new [Re: haytor]
      #5525709 - 11/18/12 08:54 AM

Hi Tel, I tried that and was able to put small loops around stars. While I couldn't do much with this image, you sure have provided for me to learn a useful technique which will help me with a lot of things whilst processing. More than anything else, I am happy I learnt to use the lasso tool and you made it possible.

Hi Tom, dedicated with a bit of nuttiness on our parts would be my guess. Thank you for understanding the issues we deal with and let's hope for better weather and clear skies.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
      #5528117 - 11/19/12 02:47 PM

I appreciate your efforts, Tel. I tend towards less aggressive processing because I think it's a fine line (like the galaxies with cartoonish multiple colors you see with some Pixinsight users). Not that you cross that line - but I do whenever I get too stretch-happy.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
M31 new [Re: milby]
      #5528666 - 11/19/12 07:45 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Tried a mosaic of shots from Friday night to try and capture more of M31. Still not enough to see all of this monster. Each of the three images was 2000s at F2. Processed in Pixinsight.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: M31 new [Re: milby]
      #5529471 - 11/20/12 07:00 AM

That Milby, is a wonderful mosaic image of M31, very nicely processed too.Lots of detail to be seen and a nice tight core.

best regards,

Tom.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: M31 new [Re: milby]
      #5530018 - 11/20/12 12:19 PM

That's a beautiful, beautiful image Milby, well done.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: M31 new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5530076 - 11/20/12 12:47 PM

Outstanding image Milby.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: M31 [Re: milby]
      #5530504 - 11/20/12 03:55 PM

Wow, Milby. Great capture of M31, 32, and a piece of 110. People have been getting fantastic results at f2 with Hyperstar! M31 IS a monster, isn't it?

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: M31 [Re: Skip]
      #5532167 - 11/21/12 12:30 PM

Wow Milby

What an image!

Art

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: M31 [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5534488 - 11/22/12 09:20 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Hi All,

It's been a crazy few weeks and I have a lot to catch up on but I was able to spend an evening doing a little AP.

I targeted M45 with my SV 90 mm apo triplet using a TV 0.8x focal reducer/field flattener yielding a FOV of 504 mm. More appropriate than the 630 mm native focal length of the telescope in my opinion

The image is comprised of 25 300s subs at ISO 400 using a modified Canon T3i on a CG5. Also used was the clip-in light pollution filter.

Thanks for looking!

George

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: M31 [Re: ghataa]
      #5534856 - 11/23/12 04:19 AM

Wow, very impressive. Did you try stretching it more? You can still afford some 'red' in your background if some more nebulosity can be pulled out. Either way, stunning.

Pages: << 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics