Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | >> (show all)
ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: new [Re: Tel]
      #5555156 - 12/05/12 06:15 AM

Wow!! What a gorgeous image of Jupiter. Just fabulous Tel. I agree that Jupiter is screaming for attention right now. Congratulations!!

Best,

George

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: new [Re: ghataa]
      #5555197 - 12/05/12 07:05 AM

Nice capture Tel, good to see you got out, i notice too one of Jupiters moons at about the 2 o clock position near the edge of the field. Great catch.

Hoping to join you in getting out tonight, looks to be a good sky given the forecast(where have i heard that before).

Might have a go at IC405 the flaming star nebula, here`s hoping.

best regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5555376 - 12/05/12 09:53 AM

Wonderful image Tel. Nice to see you "at it" again.

I, like Tom, am hoping to be out there tonight.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5555588 - 12/05/12 12:28 PM

Lovely capture and processing Tel. One comment I have is that the rippling effect may perhaps be due to the last slider of wavelet?

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5556701 - 12/06/12 12:07 AM

Beautiful Jupiter, Tel! Love the detail in the cloud bands. Gorgeous Horsehead George. You've really hit the sweet spot in your rig, obviously. Keep'em coming, guys!

MushroomBill

Reged: 02/26/09

Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.
      #5556882 - 12/06/12 04:28 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Looking at George's HH and Flame Nebula prompts me to get back to some DSO imaging

Very true - some lovely captures there George.

Quote:

at the moment Jupiter is so tempting particularly as it's riding so high in the British skies at this time.

Snap! Considered trying my hand at M45 last night but decided to have another go Jupiter

Scope: Nexstar SE 8 OTA on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GEM
Camera: Philips Webcam SPC900NC plus X3 Barlow.
120secs. at 30 fps.

Stacked in Registax with applied Wavelets.
Final processing in Photoshop.

Spent a lot of time trying to get the collimation right and (hopefully you'll agree) got my best Jupiter to date. For some reason the processed images look better on my laptop but I'll have another go after work. Still I'm quite pleased with this effort...

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

Re: new [Re: MushroomBill]
      #5556890 - 12/06/12 04:49 AM

I was able to have my first decent (cloud & moon free!) view last night using my new 5SE, between 10.30 - 12.30 but then it got a bit too frosty for me!

I'm quite pleased with Jupiter, considering that I didn't use a barlow & haven't adjusted the image apart from cropping it (single exposure, ISO 200, 1/80 sec):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8249648050/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

I also had a first attempt at the Orion Nebula (single exposure, 4 secs, ISO 6400):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8248586173/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

I must admit I was a little dissapointed by the star trails, I took several other longer exposures which had more detail but the trails were awful! Am I expecting too much, or is there anything I can do to correct this? The telescope was level & I aligned it via the two-star method, I've also entered my full lat/long for my location. Would I get better results if I used a 'piggy back' mount & a 300mm lens? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Robin

MushroomBill

Re: new [Re: Lobot]
      #5556918 - 12/06/12 06:00 AM

Hi Robin

How are you activating the shutter on the camera? Manually, via remote or timer? Could it be the mount wobbling after you've touched the camera?

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

#5556946 - 12/06/12 06:37 AM

I had it set to take 2 x images following a 10 sec timer, which I hoped would give it sufficient time to settle down.

Apologies for the basic question, but do I need to do a 'polar align' and/or use the wedge? I've only used the 'two star align' method so far although I've tried to be very careful each time: I levelled the telescope, entered the precise time, lat & long, & used two stars approx 90 degrees apart, and each time it's stated 'alignment successful'. However, it doesn't seem to work very accurately & often it's 5-10 degrees out?

This is my first telescope and I'm still not sure what I should expect from it! For example, when I've viewed the nebula via the 10x 'liveview' of my camera the main stars were clear, but were gradually moving across the screen, so I needed to keep adjusting it. Is this normal?

Cheers

Robin

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: new [Re: Lobot]
      #5557019 - 12/06/12 08:05 AM

Andy, yes totally agree this is your best Jupiter for detail yet, looks like your collimation did the trick. background colour is odd being reddish,(on my monitor anyways) but i`m sure you can deal with that.

I did have a fiddle with your image and got more detail out of it, however as you know, my colour skills are zero and i could not get it right, but there`s definitly more you can bring out with another process.

Best regards

Edited by haytor (12/06/12 08:08 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5557035 - 12/06/12 08:15 AM

Hi Robin,your quite right to be pleased with your Jupiter capture, very well done for a single exposure

As for your star trailing problem, i will leave that to those that use the alt/Az mount, i can say though, that several here on this thread have managed 20 second exposures, and a bit more in some cases with great results, i`m sure others will point you in the right direction to help you get the most out of your mount, so hang in there.

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/06/12 08:16 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5557046 - 12/06/12 08:29 AM

Lovely captures that Bill.

Excellent for a single snapshot Robin.

MushroomBill

#5557054 - 12/06/12 08:34 AM

Hi Robin

I have a Nexstar although once I decided I liked astrophotography I abandoned the mount! I'm not sure what setup you have - just a standard nexstar?

The usual things I remember checking were the mount being level, then the balance and stability. Others on here have had great results with the mount for at least 30 seconds of exposure so it can be done.

Have a read of some of the stickies - find the balance point of the scope and hang something heavy off the bottom of the mount.

Having the anti-vibration pads on the tripod feet helped dampen movement. A breeze could cause trails too - the 8SE is a bit like a big sail on the nexstar mount!

Check the setting for tracking rate - is it on Lunar or Solar?

I'd say have a go with the 10 exposures on timer. It may've stablised by the end of the image run.

Finally, don't dance around on the patio in excited anticipation of your images - that doesn't help!!!!

Hope some of this is of use.

Andy

MushroomBill

#5557066 - 12/06/12 08:40 AM

Thanks Tom and Maverick.

Think my laptop is doing odd things to my images. Will try again later.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5557200 - 12/06/12 10:14 AM

Actually got out last night, seems months since my last serious attempt, in fact it has been. However last night, at least for a few hours, allowed me to finally make a capture, conditions were clear of cloud, but some mist, still i had to give it a go.

I went for a target that i`m pretty sure Tel mentioned to me a while back, that being IC405 the Flaming star nebula, i cannot get the entire nebula in my FOV so here`s a close up.

IC405 is a combination of emmision and reflection nebula and lies in Auriga approx 1500 L/Y away, the large star in this image, is a giant blue star, AE Auriga, and is responsible for the illumination of the nebula.

Image comprises of 8 X 20 minute subs in mono Hydrogen Alpha.

Imaged with Skywatcher ED80 DS PRO refractor, Atik, 314E CCD and 7 nm Baader Ha filter.

thanks for looking, this is my initial process of the data, so will most probably re-process at some time.

best regards,

Tom

MushroomBill

#5557303 - 12/06/12 11:17 AM

Welcome back to the world of imaging! Nice capture - here's hoping you get out a lot more over the next few months.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5557313 - 12/06/12 11:25 AM

Can't wait to see your processed image Tom, awesome!

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5557430 - 12/06/12 12:19 PM

Thank`s Andy and Haseeb,

here`s a re-pro, think it shows a little more

regards,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5557478 - 12/06/12 12:45 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

My Word Guys !

I spend this afternoon reprocessing my Jupiter image, (posted here earlier), only to find by coming back to this thread, no less than 12 further postings on both planetary and DSO "stuff"; notwithstanding images from Robin, (Lobot), Andy (Mushroom Bill) and Tom, (Haytor). A lot to digest, in one trawl, guys !

Let me firstly therefore say many thanks to George, Tom, Peter, Maverick and Milby for their comments and in particular for drawing my attention to the onion rings contained in it. I'm sure I need new glasses, what with not seeing them and Tom pointing out furthermore, that I had also captured one of the Galilean satellites for which I'm still looking !

As a result therefore, being now a lot less smug with that particular effort, (and many thanks, folks, for the criticism without which nobody learns), I have, as mentioned, spent the afternoon trying to keep or increase the detail while reducing the "onoin ring effect" ! Hopefully this attempt is more successful. (See attached image).

Andy: You've certainly caught the Jovian belts well plus the GRS and its junior. A little soft perhaps ? I'm sure there's more hidden detail there. Try a "High Pass", perhaps ?

Robin: Jupiter is certainly captured as is M42. Andy has pointed out though, that there are many possible reasons for the drift you are experiencing and, as you know, the alt./az. mount is not the best for this kind of imaging. However, as he says, you should be able to obtain longer exposure times than 4 seconds. At f/10, I would think >15 seconds should be quite possible while adding a focal reducer should help extend this. I will take a better look at your images and the comments our colleagues here have made as soon as possible. Maybe there's something I can further add to improve the situation.

Tom: As always, a very nice image. I've yet to try IC405 myself with my set-up, but it does indeed look a worthy target.

I need now to go and read some more ! Meantime, my own afternoon's work !

It's great being retired !

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: [Re: Tel]
      #5557500 - 12/06/12 12:56 PM

Yes, much better Tel, far less onion ringing in this one, mind you that moon has now gone missing in this re-pro,but since you missed noticing it in the original, i guess its of no concern

Nice work Tel, and thanks for your comment, hope you get the chance to try IC405, nice target.

regards,

Tom.

Pages: << 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 84147

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics