Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5557739 - 12/06/12 03:29 PM

Hi Robin,

One single thought I have at the moment on your tracking problem, (elongated image stars), vis-a-vis your M42 4 second single exposure; is to ask whether you have adjusted/optimised both the altitude and azimuth axes backlash within the spur gears of your mount ?

If, when you make your initial alignment the alignment stars "jump" in your EP when you press the direction buttons of your hand controller to centralise them, then the backlash is not optimised. This may well be having an adverse effect on your imaging by creating delays in the tracking before the gears are fully meshed.

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Tel]
      #5557753 - 12/06/12 03:35 PM

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your comments. Yes, I thought it an improvement !

Mind you, I spent a couple of hours or more on it this afternoon !

I'm definitely thinking of upgrading my Philips webcam to get a faster fps camera, but need to choose one which doesn't come with the artifacts, ("onion rings") that compression normally brings with it.

Best regards,
Tel

Pete GLA
sage

Reged: 12/20/07

Loc: South of Detroit MI
      #5557803 - 12/06/12 04:07 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Quote:

My Word Guys !

I spend this afternoon reprocessing my Jupiter image, (posted here earlier), only to find by coming back to this thread, no less than 12 further postings on both planetary and DSO "stuff"; notwithstanding images from Robin, (Lobot), Andy (Mushroom Bill) and Tom, (Haytor). A lot to digest, in one trawl, guys !

Well Tel, I've been out a month or so, and there are quite a few posts to catch up on. As always, excellent captures Tel and the rest of the Gang...
I'm still toying around with Planetary Imaging. I don't know if I need more than the C8 to image or if my location has anything to do with it. All Planetary Imaging are done in my backyard, you know, neighbours flood lights on, heat rising off homes/garages roof. I've tried DSO imaging from my backyard, and given the limited clear skies that Mother Nature gives us, I've found out that I require at least 12 hours worth of Lights to make it worth my while. So DSOs are put on hold until I can get out to the darker zone.

For now I'm wanting to get better details from the Planetary Imaging that I'm doing. (So far no change)...

Last night managed to image Jupiter along with the shadow and transit of Ganymede, and Callisto in the background. I keep forgetting to thread the IR block filter so that I can get a more natural look to Jove's disk (or does it really matter). Image is best 360 frames stacked in Registax. I only do 60 sec avis @ 15 fps.

Enjoy,
Pete

Disregard the 3 specks on the top left quadrant of Jupiter's disk. They are specks of dust that were too stubborn to leave.

Edited by Pete GLA (12/06/12 04:14 PM)

Pete GLA
sage

Re: new [Re: Pete GLA]
      #5557827 - 12/06/12 04:27 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Just finished processing another avi from last night. There is a big difference in this image and my previous one. Processing were identical.

Pete

Tel
Postmaster

#5557891 - 12/06/12 05:08 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Many thanks for your kind words but your image of Jupiter surpasses mine by a mile !

I took a quick "look" at it in Photoshop and Registax 6 and I reckon you have something there of which even the great Damien Peach would be envious ! (See attached).

Have you said, somewhere along the line what camera you are using ?

Wonderful !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (12/06/12 05:35 PM)

Pete GLA
sage

#5558083 - 12/06/12 06:57 PM

Quote:

Many thanks for your kind words but your image of Jupiter surpasses mine by a mile !

I took a quick "look" at it in Photoshop and Registax 6 and I reckon you have something there of which even the great Damien Peach would be envious ! (See attached).

Have you said, somewhere along the line what camera you are using ?

Wonderful !

Best regards,
Tel

Thanks to you as well.
Camera used is the DBK21 with C8 and 3x barlow lens.

Other than the 2 satellites and shadow, I don't see what else I caught...Aaaaachoooo!!!

Regards,
Pete

Edited by Pete GLA (12/06/12 07:18 PM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5558713 - 12/07/12 06:39 AM

Looking good Pete, love the fact those moons show a disc rather than just being pin points, some nice detail on Jupiter too

regards,

Tom.

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

#5558862 - 12/07/12 09:03 AM

Hi Tel

Thanks for the suggestion I've had a looked at the manual & the Anti-backlash can be set between 0-99....it suggests 20-50 for viewing but doesn't give a figure for photography! Do you know what I should enter?

In hindsight, I think that part of my problem might also be due to balance. I checked this (minus the camera) and the mid-point is a lot further back than I'd guessed. I'm going to have another bash tonight, weather permitting!

Thanks again to everyone for your help & positive comments, it's really nice to be in a community where everyone is so helpful!

Cheers, Robin

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Lobot]
      #5558982 - 12/07/12 10:21 AM

Hi Robin,

I think the following may help you overall to get your 5SE tuned to the performance you require. If not, or there's anything you don't undersatnd then please do come back and we'll try to explain further.

Primarily and no doubt you'll ascertain from the link that you need to forget about backlash numbers. They are merely there as reference points: no more: because each set of gears are peculiar to the 'scope to which they're fitted and hence backlash varies from 'scope to 'scope !

Bearing this in mind therefore, the following link should tell you all you need to know in setting up your 'scope.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5417848/page...

Entitled Tel-Alignment Question (#5417848 9/12/12 6:36pm), probably the most relevant posting to you in view of your current problems is the by "hamdul" (#5421776 9/14/12 11.47pm). Page down within the thread to reach it.

I think this should well solve a number of problems you either have or might encounter but as said, if not, please refer back to us.

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (12/07/12 02:21 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5559297 - 12/07/12 01:24 PM

Thanks for another great image of Jupiter Pete.

The images produced by all of you, and the exchange of information between you, on this and the "Sister" thread, are a joy.

Keep it going.

Regards. Peter

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

#5559833 - 12/07/12 07:07 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hi Tel

Thanks for the link, just what I needed!

I didn't have a chance to alter the backlash settings before dark but was able to (finally) set up the GoTo correctly. I've also got it better balanced and attached the Celestron T-ring & adapter directly to the visual back so I didn't have to use the star diagonal.

What a difference (or at least I think it is!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8253828394/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

Single exposure, 550d, ISO 6400, 10 secs

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, this is fun!

Cheers, Robin

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Lobot]
      #5559879 - 12/07/12 07:53 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi Robin,

Glad to have helped ! Yes, you definitely seem to have "cracked it" ! Good for you !

Not a bad image at all for a first "real" attempt with a now tuned 'scope and in fact, there's more detail in the image than perhaps you're aware ?

To demonstrate, I took the liberty of expanding the above somewhat and set about a little more processing of it just to indicate to you what perhaps you are missing.

Here attached therefore, is the same image which I've "tweaked" in Photoshop CS2. I hope you like what you see and I look forward, as I'm sure we all do, to viewing lots more of your images in the future.

Best regards,
Tel

BTW. You've certainly got some nice round background stars now !

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
      #5560236 - 12/08/12 12:33 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

These Jupiter images are mesmerizing. Just outstanding!
Tried to get a piece of the big California nebula in HA. Hopefully the skies will permit an effort at mosaic-ing the whole thing...

Edited by milby (12/08/12 12:34 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5560261 - 12/08/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

Thank`s Andy and Haseeb,

here`s a re-pro, think it shows a little more

regards,

Tom.

Strangely enough I seem to like the first one better. Could be due to mono. Either way awesome image.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5560263 - 12/08/12 12:56 AM

Tel, much better ( not that you had anything to prove ) and yes I too noticed the moon at 2 o'clock as Tom mentioned. I feel envious you are retired.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5560264 - 12/08/12 12:58 AM

That's a huge detailed Jupiter image Pete, well done.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5560266 - 12/08/12 01:01 AM

Hi Robin, that's an excellent image for a single exposure and Tel has helped you further by bringing out details in M 42. Your attempt is much better than what I had achieved first.

Milby, another excellent capture. The dust and filaments in Ha look really outstanding. Can't wait to see your mosaic on this one.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5560382 - 12/08/12 03:31 AM

Certainly a nice piece of the California nebula, Milby. I hope the mosaicking goes equally well and I look forward, like Haseeb, to viewing the whole.

Just to satisfy my curiosity please, regarding the technique you've employed here; can I assume you attached your Ha filter to your Starlight Xpress, capture the image at that wavelength and then removed it to capture in colour, thereafter layering one upon the other ?

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re: [Re: Tel]
      #5560388 - 12/08/12 03:39 AM

Hi Tom,

We all view these great images somewhat differently. Haseeb prefers the former in this case whereas I like this one better. It's of no consequence though. As long as as our efforts are pleasing to the individual eye then we've succeeded ..... and you've done just that !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re: [Re: Tel]
      #5560390 - 12/08/12 03:51 AM

Hi Haseeb,

Many thanks for your appreciation of my modified Jupiter although compared to that produced by Pete........... well, what can one say ?

I really must bite the bullet though and buy myself some new glasses. I certainly didn't see those artifacts in the first image and I'm still looking for that Galilean moon !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86754

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics