Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: Skip]
      #5195159 - 04/28/12 03:22 PM

Skip Im really happy for you. Ive seen some excellent photos of dolar system objects eith it that were quite inspiring. Its a different world than using a point n shoot or dslr with resukts the others simply cant touch. I used to ghe think nothing beat the big ol chip in my canon dslr. I was flat out wrong. My vid cam is way ahead.

It took some reappreciating of how images are captured but its a mild curve and even the beginner cam attempts match or beat good dslr planetary pics.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5195321 - 04/28/12 05:26 PM

Oh Skip, you resisted for soooooo long!

The lure of the Dark Side has finally gotten to you - the delights of AP await

Art

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5195348 - 04/28/12 05:43 PM

Thanks guys! I've dl'd wxAstroCapture and signed up for the Yahoo Group. I guess I'll need to go shopping for that laptop now.

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #5195386 - 04/28/12 06:27 PM

I use HandyAvi after seeing the ad in Astronomy Magazine.

http://www.azcendant.com/

You can download it free and start using it right away (for 10 days). It will do time lapse and works with all my web cams.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5197756 - 04/30/12 07:04 AM

Hi Skip, sorry i missed this, this is great news, would have seen it earlier, but we have had a death in the family,(funeral on Friday this week) and my Daughter is currently in hospital awaiting to give birth to our 20th grand child (at least i think its the 20th, lost count now,)

As said, and with fear of Peter setting Yvonne on me, so glad to hear this news of you getting a NexImage, only thing i can add to that, is that you also say you will now have to get yourself a lappy, i`m sure i dont need to say this, but just be sure its operating system is compatable with the NexImage, i think i read somewhere that there were driver issues with some operating systems,Keep in mind also that should you in the future upgrade to the newer NexImage, that your lappy will also need to be compatable.

Very much looking forward to seeing your first light results with the NexImage Skip once your up and running

best regards,and welcome to the dark side

Tom

Edited by haytor (04/30/12 07:14 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: haytor]
      #5197765 - 04/30/12 07:16 AM

Hi Skip,

Good luck with the NexImage. Hope to be looking at your captures in the near future.

Hi Tom,

Don't think your off the hook.

Yvonne wants to know which bus to catch to your place.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: Peter9]
      #5197771 - 04/30/12 07:21 AM

From experience, NexImage doesn't play nice with windows XP.

James

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: Peter9]
      #5197781 - 04/30/12 07:32 AM

Quote:

Hi Skip,

Good luck with the NexImage. Hope to be looking at your captures in the near future.

Hi Tom,

Don't think your off the hook.

Yvonne wants to know which bus to catch to your place.

Regards. Peter.

There`s only one person here on CN, a very good friend i might add,that knows my full address Peter, so i`m sure i`m safe from a visit from Yvonne, hmmm, hang on a mo, i forgot i did have a jibe at his expense not long ago, OH HECK....

Edited by haytor (04/30/12 07:39 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5197871 - 04/30/12 08:57 AM

Quote:

From experience, NexImage doesn't play nice with windows XP.

James

I dont remember having problems with the NexImage running on XP,in fact the specs for the NexImage says it operates ok with XP, however i did run into problems when my old XP lappy died, and i had to get a replacement lappy, i opted at the time to go with the Vista O/S,and found the Neximage drivers would not work, however new drivers were issued later.

So Skip, should you end up with a Vista O/S, heres a link that should provide the driver for Vista, just scroll down the page until you find it if needed.

I should also point out, that my Vista lappy is a 32 bit,so not sure if the Neximage would run on 64 bit machines,you would need to check that out!

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/accessories/celestron-neximage.html

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (04/30/12 09:10 AM)

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#5197894 - 04/30/12 09:17 AM

Thanx Tom and Peter,

If I get a new "lappy" (I love the Brit nicknames for things ), I'm sure it will be a Windows7 machine. I think the drivers for Vista will work well with 7. If anyone knows any different, please chime in so I can be forewarned.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #5197898 - 04/30/12 09:24 AM

Make sure that it is a happy lappy Skip.

Can't comment about the Vista drivers running on Windows 7 (but it should do because Vista is build 6.0.xxxx and Windows 7 is build 6.1.xxxx - essentially Windows Vista Second Edition).

Windows 8 is a new build 7.x.xxxx (although it is still basically Windows NT4 and DOS 6.22 under the hood).

Oh, the joys of Windows!

Art

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5197904 - 04/30/12 09:27 AM

Hi Skip, it seems that the link i provided for the Vista drivers is no longer viable, so should you need Vista drivers then you will need to search the net and ask questions regarding this. Sorry about that.

Having said that, and before purchasing your new lappy, just check first if the older NexImage will work on windows 7 or not, all i know for sure is that i had the NexImage working perfectly on the older XP O/S.

EDIT......just found this if it may be useful.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2364

The good news is, that the NEW Neximage 5 ccd, should you later decide to upgrade to the newer ccd, will operate with O/S systems from XP , Vista and windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) machines.

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (04/30/12 09:57 AM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5198611 - 04/30/12 04:39 PM

Is there a different driver for windows XP? Everytime I try to capture video with the nexImage my computer "blue screens and then crashes. It works fine on my windows 7 desktop.

James

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5198617 - 04/30/12 04:43 PM

It looks like there is a different driver for Vista.

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/accessories/celestron-neximage.html

Click on the "Support" tab. There is also information on how to make long exposure images with this camera.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5199605 - 05/01/12 07:24 AM

Hi James, the original disc that came with my Neximage had the XP driver which was used for the neximage, on my old XP lappy it worked fine, so not sure why you would get a blue screen, sorry i cannot be of more help with that question.

regards,

Tom,

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#5200167 - 05/01/12 01:31 PM

OK, imaging gurus! I have a really dumb newbie question on using the NexImage. Do you put it into the visual back in place of the star diagonal or do you use the diag and put the NexImage "snout" in it, taking the place of an EP??

It may be awhile before I can use the camera (which arrived yesterday) on the sky. North Texas is socked in - no rain, only clouds <yuck>! But I'm going to check out the drivers and the various capture software for compatibility on my desktop.

If the clouds ever go away - and they will - I'm gonna do a one-time thing. I'll haul my desktop out back and hook everything up, just to see what I can capture. If I get anything at all, I'll post it, good or terrible.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5200214 - 05/01/12 01:57 PM

Hi Skip,

It probably doesn't matter. I think both ways will come to focus.

However, if you take the perfectionists route, then just insert your Neximage directly into the visual back in place of the diagonal. Less glass to absorb light !

I would also recommend that you use at least a x2 Barlow, otherwise, certainly your planetary images will be very small. If you're imaging the Moon though, then you can be more flexible over the use of a Barlow depending on what you wish to capture. (You may even wish to use a focal reducer in some circumstances).

Finally, to get the best results, (in my humble opinion), focus first on a bright star, (using a Bhatinov mask will help enormously), and when you're satisfied with the result, THEN slew to your imaging subject.

Hoping this helps,

Good hunting and best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? new [Re: Tel]
      #5200249 - 05/01/12 02:16 PM

An additional thought Skip !

Don't forget to use a low powered EP followed by a high powered to bring the "focusing star" to the centre of the FOV so that the Neximage will "pick it up", otherwise you could be searching for some time before you can work on it.

Secondly, when you're satisfied with the star focus on your LT and thus make the slew, your 'scope may well be slightly off target, particularly when you bear in mind that your Neximage is about equivalent to a 6mm EP !

You may therefore, need to place, say, a 20-25mm EP either directly in the VB or in the diagonal, to bring your target planet back to the centre so that the Neximage can "pick it up".

It all sounds obvious, but at this stage, do NOT change the focus ! You may well see your target planet as a fuzzy blob. No matter: centralise the blob ! The Neximage will then "see" it in focus and you should then be able to proceed with its capture.

Hope this helps a little further,

Best regards,
Tel

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

#5200272 - 05/01/12 02:32 PM

Quote:

OK, imaging gurus! I have a really dumb newbie question on using the NexImage. Do you put it into the visual back in place of the star diagonal or do you use the diag and put the NexImage "snout" in it, taking the place of an EP??

It should work either way but I would ditch the diagonal. You want an even number of reflective surfaces or you end up with a mirror image. Also the diagonal is one more piece of optics that can reduce the image quality.

Also note that the NexImage is upside down. The end where the wire comes out is the end that should face North.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: Where Oh Where Has the Cel. NexImage Camera Gone? [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5200283 - 05/01/12 02:38 PM

Tel and WWGuy,

Thanks for the tips! Now - clouds, clouds go away!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5807

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics