Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tony from Tulsa

Reged: 09/30/12

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE.
      #5526804 - 11/18/12 08:43 PM

Hey guys! I've been contemplating it for months now. Yesterday I took the drive to Astronomics with a good friend of mine (Who also bought an 8" Celestron on an equatorial mount).I got it all assembled and have been eagerly waiting on night to fall. Well, its here and so is the cloud cover! I guess I'll spend my time reading the manuals and pushing a few buttons. I can't wait to take it for its maiden voyage. You'll be hearing a lot from me asking for help, I'm sure.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Tony from Tulsa]
      #5526828 - 11/18/12 08:52 PM

Jupiter is waiting!

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: herrointment]
      #5526887 - 11/18/12 09:23 PM

That is awesome Tony! I know you will love it! Can't escape the new scope curse though.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5526973 - 11/18/12 10:26 PM

Congrats, Tony! And welcome to the asylum!

One thing you can do while waiting for the skies to clear is line up the finder. You can do so during the day by aiming at a distant target like the top of a telephone pole. It's a LOT easier than trying to do it at night. You will probably still need a final adjustment when you get under the stars, but if you do it during the day at least it will start off pretty close.

-Dan

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5527045 - 11/18/12 11:06 PM

I ended up having to shim between the scope and the bracket to get my red dot finder to play nice. I just clipped a 1/2" piece of black zip tie, wedged it in between the scope and the bracket (at the rear), and tightened back down the bracket screws.

Eventually I recommend that you upgrade to a Telrad. Makes it so much easier.

clear skies!

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5527195 - 11/19/12 12:57 AM

Congratulations! Keep sufficient power on hand like a Powertank or better still, an AC outlet.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5527318 - 11/19/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

Congrats, Tony! And welcome to the asylum!

One thing you can do while waiting for the skies to clear is line up the finder. You can do so during the day by aiming at a distant target like the top of a telephone pole. It's a LOT easier than trying to do it at night. You will probably still need a final adjustment when you get under the stars, but if you do it during the day at least it will start off pretty close.

-Dan

Congratulations, Tony, on obtaining your new 'scope and welcome to this forum ! .

Just to add to the list of "things to do" while waiting for the clouds to roll by, you will also need to balance your tube on the mount and optimise the antibacklash settings: (both of which can be carried out in daylight and, as they say, "In the comfort of your own home") ! .

If you are unsure though, as to how either is accomplished, you only need to ask. We are all here to help each other.

(Balancing the tube, incidentally, is covered, courtesy of our good CN friend and colleague Art Dent, near the top of this forum's threads under the title of "Links and Best of the Celestron Nexstar Forum" sub-division "Useful Forum Threads". Lots too, of other useful information about your 'scope under the main title) !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (11/19/12 04:24 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Tel]
      #5527356 - 11/19/12 05:33 AM

Hi Tony and welcome to the Nexstar forum.

Much of the advice you need has been given above, so enjoy your new 8se.

Regards. Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Peter9]
      #5527657 - 11/19/12 10:37 AM

Welcome aboard Tony

Here's the thread on balancing the OTA as referred to by Tel (our resident NexStar Guru )

Balancing the OTA

The "Links and Best Of" thread has lots of useful information and is well-worth a trawl.

Any questions, just ask away.

Art

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5527734 - 11/19/12 11:21 AM

Tony,

Good choice!Enjoy!You should see terrific views of the Orion and adjacent objects as soon as the clouds clear.

Did you by chance also get the Celestron eyepiece set as I have ? With a total range of 6 to 32 mm (actually down to 3mm with the barlow) and filters it is enough to explore the limits of the scope.

I hope you got a dew shield,and perhaps a dew heater as well because dew stopped my first session with the 8SE.The stiff fabric dew shield extended viewing by easily an hour here even without a heater.

The mis-shipment of a Nexstar 8SE to me over two years ago inspired me to purchase my very own this fall.I wish now that I had simply bought the mis-shipped scope instead of returning it-would have had two more years of enjoyment!

An 8" scope is going to wow! you with great views of everything,Whether Dobsonian,SCT,ot EQ Newtonian ,8" scopes are a size which maximizes views while still being easily portable.I can carry an 8" Newton and mount in one go,not so with a 10";same thing with the Dobs:the 8" was a one-trip,the 10" demanded two trips.

And the 8SE,tripod and all is easily carried;haven't got my hands on a 10" SCT.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5527739 - 11/19/12 11:24 AM

You won't regret one minute of the $$$$$$$$ spent once you get a look through the eyepiece...

engchris

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Florida
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #5528698 - 11/19/12 07:59 PM

Congrats! You'll love the 8SE! It has provided me with many, many "WOW!" moments. There is a little bit of a learning curve with getting the alignment just right sometimes but once you get it down it works great. You will be blown away by the Orion Nebula, Jupiter, and the Double Cluster, as well as many others as soon as those clouds clear. If you have any problems you'll find tons of good advice here. I sure did.

SubaruB4

Reged: 11/14/12

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: engchris]
      #5528812 - 11/19/12 09:06 PM

Enjoy!

jhirsch
sage

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Ohio
Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: SubaruB4]
      #5528884 - 11/19/12 09:45 PM

Great news!!! You'll be amazed when compared to your "crapiscope". BTW. We will expecting a first light report.

Tony from Tulsa

Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: jhirsch]
      #5529034 - 11/19/12 10:46 PM

Thanks guys! I got it into the backyard tonight. Had a little bit of trouble getting it aligned. It didn't like the moon, so I used Jupiter and two stars. Fourth try was the charm! A couple of questions: 1, how do you shift from solar system tracking to lunar tracking on the fly? And also, 2: I used my stock Celestron 25mm eyepiece to find and focus on Jupiter with fairly clear results. When I shifted to my AstroTech 12mm eyepiece, I just couldn't seem to get in into a very clear focus. It appeared a little fuzzy. I do not have a Barlow yet, would that help the magnification and clarity? Jupiter was plenty bright, but not very clear. The conditions outside were not the greatest. There was a lot of atmospheric turbulence. Any suggestions on getting better, clearer magnification? Other than that, a great time was had by all. Beautiful scope, and lots of potential once I know what I'm doing!

chuck56
sage

Reged: 01/21/07

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
      #5529127 - 11/19/12 11:36 PM

Was the scope dewed up?

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: chuck56]
      #5529364 - 11/20/12 04:24 AM

Hi Tony,

Your hand controller should be switched to Sidereal tracking by default: i.e. when you switch on and press the Menu button, you should see "Tracking" appear on the HC's screen. (If not, then press either the 6 or 9 buttons to scroll to it).

When "Tracking" is present on the screen, it is likely to be accompanied by the word "Mode" beneath it. If you then press "Enter" you will note "Off" appears. This only means that there is no tracking unless an alignment has been made.

Now press "Undo" and the screen will return to "Tracking" and "Mode". Press either the 6 or 9 buttons and this will change to "Tracking" and "Rate".

Press "Enter" and "Track Rate" and "Sidereal" will appear. This is the default rate. However, should you want to track the Moon or Solar System objects, press the 6 or 9 buttons once again to scroll to either "Track Rate Lunar" or "Track Rate Solar".

When you have made your selection, press "Enter" followed by enough presses of the "Undo" button to return you to the on screen "Nexstar Ready" etc.

Note however, that when using your 'scope for visual rather than imaging use, it is doubtful you will see any difference whichever rate you select: such difference, in my experience, being too subtle for the eye to recognise.

With this in mind therefore, I would recommend you ensure your 'scope is attuned to "Tracking Mode Alt./Az". and "Tracking Rate Sidereal" and stick with these settings.

As far as viewing Jupiter is concerned, Our good friend Mark Lewis, (mclewis1), has just taken up this topic with "jalesi" on the latter's thread here on this forum, entitled "6SE First Light". Take a look at what he has advised. I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Best regards,
Tel

Tony from Tulsa

Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. new [Re: chuck56]
      #5529503 - 11/20/12 07:21 AM

Quote:

Was the scope dewed up?

Not that I could see. I definitely need to order a dew shield.

Tony from Tulsa

#5529506 - 11/20/12 07:23 AM

Tel, thanks for the tracking advice. I had read the manual, but I guess I was afraid if I changed tracking to lunar, it would stop tracking until I realigned it. What made me think thatyou say? I have no idea, haha!

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Well, I did it! Bought the Nexstar 8SE. [Re: Tony from Tulsa]
      #5529539 - 11/20/12 07:54 AM

Hi Tony,

Conversely though, your 'scope won't start tracking until it's successfully aligned !

But, with regard to tracking, I think you'll be fine sticking to the default, sidereal setting; certainly when viewing the planets, although it is possible that a small improvement in tracking consistency might be perceived if, when viewing the more rapidly moving Moon, you switch to "Track Rate Lunar" should you intend to spend a longer than normal, (whatever that means ?), in observing it.

If you do choose to do this; don't forget to switch back to sidereal rate for all other general purpose viewing !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1831

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics