Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN new [Re: jhirsch]
      #5612352 - 01/08/13 05:18 PM

I wonder how many of us got into the hobby after seeing those gorgeous rings floating around that pretty golden(ish) disc.

As Raginar says, you should also check out Jupiter! Now is a great time to view it; it's high in the sky by early evening. You can't miss it; it's the brightest "star" in the sky, rising in the east at dusk. It's also a convenient "landmark" for viewing some other great objects.

Next, about 5 degrees to the southeast of Jupiter (5 degrees = the width of your clenched fist at arm's length), you can easily eyeball Aldebaran, the angry orange eye of Taurus the Bull. Put Aldebaran in your EP (at your lowest magnification), and you're looking at the V-shaped Hyades cluster.

Ready for more? About 10 degrees above (to the west of) Jupiter, you can see a cluster of pretty bluish stars. This is the Pleiades cluster.

As the evening goes on, Jupiter rises high in the sky, to the southeast you can see Orion, easy to make out by the 3 in-line stars that form his belt. To the north of the belt is big red Betelgeuse, and to the south is bright bluish Rigel. The easternmost star in Orion's Belt is Alnitak; about 1/3 of the way between Alnitak and Rigel, you should be able to see some small stars and a diffuse glow. This is M42, the Great Orion Nebula.

And if you can, get a look at M31 Andromeda Galaxy. It was just west of zenith when I viewed it last night. I live on the eastern edge of town, so my skies are decent to the east, poor to the west. By next month, M31 will be getting too far west for me, so the wife and I got a good long look last night!

There's no question Saturn is a celestial showpiece, and it will get closer to Earth (and a little bit bigger in your EP) as we near the April opposition.

Jupiter, Hyades, Pleiades and Orion Nebula are a few more perennial favorites, and they are in prime viewing position these days, especially if you have a good eastern/ southeastern view.

I just realized that you have a 6SE (that's what you meant, isn't it?). It should be great on Jupiter and M42. You won't be able to get the entire Pleiades (much less Hyades) in the field of view, but I would still encourage taking a look while they're so well-positioned. Even viewed piecemeal, they are doggone purty.

Best,
David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dennilfloss
sage

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN new [Re: 2Lane]
      #5612567 - 01/08/13 07:26 PM

Quote:

I realized that seeing pictures and seeing it in realtime there is no comparison!

This a thousandfold.

Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Re: I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN new [Re: dennilfloss]
      #5668613 - 02/08/13 09:49 AM

Now check out Orion Nebula, aside from Saturn and Jupiter, it is the best thing in my mind to see. If you can get to a dark enough site then the ring nebula is also very neat.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN new [Re: Doug Michel]
      #5687504 - 02/18/13 06:29 PM

Wonderful story. Last year before purchasing the 8 SE, I was able to see Saturn using my little 80 mm. I was very happy with that, and so was my wife and daughter. Then, when I did get my 8 SE. There was a huge wow factor. Thank you for sharing your story!!!

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
Re: I SAW SATURN, I SAW SATURN new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5687934 - 02/18/13 10:14 PM

I think I have that feeling with every new item I see. A couple of weeks ago it was M37. Never saw it before, and it was a spectacular sight.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1906

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics