Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Doug Michel]
      #5703992 - 02/27/13 06:22 PM

Beautifull image once again milby. Looks like my priorities have shifted to the purchace of a house. Until the dusts settles looks like all non-essential aquisitions are on hold. Although that could change by NEAF .

I emailed Starizona about the C8-DSLR combination but have yet to recieve a response.

Keep posting those awesome images

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: milby]
      #5704902 - 02/28/13 08:49 AM

Milby, I was looking again at your most recent picture and noticed in the upper right corner there is a "star" or something that doesnt look like the others. At first I thouhgt it was the star moving across the sky, but this didnt happen to any others in your picture. It almost looks like you captured a much more distant galaxy there. Any ideas?

azcharlie

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5705098 - 02/28/13 10:52 AM

I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased a CGEM 1100 and the Hyperstar from Starizona. I also bought a used Atik 428EX. I am still struggling with aligning the scope and wasting much of my time just setting up the darn thing! The few images I have gotten have been ok, but nowhere near some of the images I've seen posted here and elsewhere. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect that my using Nebulosity for capture and processing may be part of the problem. I'm just not getting the results I expected. I know Maxim DL is the best, but $500! Yikes! Also, I haven't gone the route of autoguiding just yet, either. I'd like to stay married..... I can't figure out how to post an image small enough to post or I'd do it. Dean and Scott have been very helpful but they are always busy and would rather I drag the whole set up down to the shop on imaging nights, but I'm not sure I want to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the gain on the Atik 428EX?

Rick
Tucson

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5705317 - 02/28/13 01:01 PM

Doug,

I'm not Milby but that IS a galaxy. I've seen it identified in other photos. It has a NGC designation but I don't recall the number.

Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Skip]
      #5705326 - 02/28/13 01:10 PM

Glad my eyes were not failing me, pretty sweet image with just the main galaxies, but to capture a far more distant object is really cool. I really need to avoid these threads, my wallet is not big enough for the thoughts this brings up about me doing this...

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
      #5705413 - 02/28/13 02:02 PM

I don't know that I can add much to what was already said. But I had a Hyperstar rig for a while - it was the older Nextstar GPS 8" SCT (purposely because of the metal bearings, vs the standard CPC, and the lighter CF tube). If it says anything, I'm planning to go back and build another Hyperstar rig because it was simply THAT GOOD.

My one and only issue (a minor one at that) was the collimation. If you set it right, and tightened the set screws appropriately it would hold just fine, session after session. If it came loose for any reason, it was a bear to set again. Maybe it's because I'm a stickler for perfection on collimation, but even the SLIGHTEST misalignment shows quite easily at the edge of your images at full resolution. While the center might look crisp, you end up with oblong stars in the corners if it is not perfect.

As mentioned above, cameras do matter. A DSLR is a bad idea on an 8" SCT because of light path obstruction, and other factors. Even my old square style QHY-8 caused a certain level of obstruction, and the edges of the casing made for strong diffraction spikes on bright stars (preference thing for everyone obviously). One benefit though was the fact that you could use the diffraction spikes as your focusing aid. After all, at F/1.8-F/2.0 focusing is critical. I never spent more than 30 seconds at it though, just pointed at a bright star, focused until the spikes were sharp and BAM.

Here's a few of my better hyperstar shots that I liked:

Orion and Running Man

North America and Pelican

Rosette

Pleiades

Cocoon

Even though you "can" get away without super accurate alignment, or even guiding, you will need it to get deep images.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5705673 - 02/28/13 04:21 PM

Josh, OUTSTANDING images - I'd love to know your workflow, if you'd be willing to share it

Rick, if you could post what you have it would be easier to make suggestions - although having Scott/Dean right there in your town is about the best you could hope for. Just about any image processing program will allow you to resize to the forum's limits (200kb)

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5705792 - 02/28/13 05:26 PM

milby,

Thanks for the compliments. There's definitely guys out there who have better post-processing skills than I have, but I'm always willing to share what I do know.

I'm currently in the process of getting my hands on a decent screen capturing app so I can record a workflow session to show exactly how I process my shots. I could screenshot everything and write it up in text but that will take me a little time. I started to put a few workflow segments on my blog a while back, but image file size/compression issues started to get in the way. Might be best if I just put it up on flickr, youtube, or vimeo.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5705850 - 02/28/13 05:51 PM

This is really neat, why not dedicate this thread to hyperstar images? Many more like this and I will sell a kidney...

azcharlie

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5705927 - 02/28/13 06:33 PM

Hopskipson, I don't think that is true about Celestron not offering fastar in non-Edge models. I was considering the non-edge version and Dean at Starizona said there was no difference when using Hyperstar. I went with the Edge just for resale purposes. Either the xlt or edge will work with Hyperstar.

azcharlie

#5705928 - 02/28/13 06:33 PM

Hopskipson, I don't think that is true about Celestron not offering fastar in non-Edge models. I was considering the non-edge version and Dean at Starizona said there was no difference when using Hyperstar. I went with the Edge just for resale purposes. Either the xlt or edge will work with Hyperstar.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5706170 - 02/28/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

This is really neat, why not dedicate this thread to hyperstar images? Many more like this and I will sell a kidney...

In this hobby I've almost had to sell a kidney once or twice just to keep up with the gear costs.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: azcharlie]
      #5706175 - 02/28/13 08:54 PM

Quote:

Fastar was available even in the old Nexstar GPS - predecessor to the CPC or CPC Deluxe models, so it's been around for a while.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5706211 - 02/28/13 09:25 PM

I bought my SE8 about 3 years ago and it was offered as Faststar compatable. Now when I check new scopes it's not advertised only on the Edge models. Starizona does offer an adapter to change a non-faststar into one.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5706224 - 02/28/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

I bought my SE8 about 3 years ago and it was offered as Faststar compatable. Now when I check new scopes it's not advertised only on the Edge models. Starizona does offer an adapter to change a non-faststar into one.

I got my 8SE about 3 weeks ago and it came with Fastar. But some have reported on here that theirs didn't come with it. It's seems to be a toss up if you get it or not.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ben2112]
      #5706312 - 02/28/13 10:17 PM

Josh, obviously you did a great deal of mosaic work for those very-wide-scale shots. Marvelous results; love the HDR.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5706373 - 02/28/13 11:07 PM

When I got mine it came with a coupon for a magazine subscription that expired in 2006. So I think it was old stock. B&H and Celestron were advertising the faststar option at the time, but now do not.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: milby]
      #5707020 - 03/01/13 11:24 AM

Quote:

Josh, obviously you did a great deal of mosaic work for those very-wide-scale shots. Marvelous results; love the HDR.

Actually, no HDR or mosaics on the ones I posted in the thread. Just stacking, and some basic photoshop.

However, I have done a lot of mosaics with my DSLR images, and with my lunar and solar shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daemongpf/sets/

I have some of it up in my flickr galleries, along with other Hyperstar shots too.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5707228 - 03/01/13 01:51 PM

Josh,

Those Hyperstar shots are absolutely beautiful! Professional grade work, IMO. Near-Hubble quality.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: Skip]
      #5707544 - 03/01/13 05:43 PM

Thanks Skip! That's about as high of a compliment as I could ever hope to get on my images. Much appreciated.

I'm going to try and find a little time this evening and capture my workflow on Orion or the Rosette as I process the raw data, and post it up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12277

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics