Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hyperstar Imaging
      #5695352 - 02/22/13 06:31 PM Attachment (472 downloads)

I wanted to start a thread on this forum dedicated to the Fastar/Hyperstar imaging systems. I have had my Hyperstar 9.25" setup for about a year and have loved using it, not that it has been without its headaches.

Although the system is touted as not requiring guidance or even alignment, personally I have had much more satisfying results with a well-ordered equatorial mount and autoguiding. The guys at Starizona are very helpful with the learning curve in any case.

If there's anyone else out there with this equipment (or contemplating it) who'd like to share their experiences/images, please do so!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: milby]
      #5695392 - 02/22/13 06:57 PM

Hi Milby,

I don't have a Hyperstar compatible 'scope in my ol' Nexstar 8i, but I love the work yours is producing !

I hope you find some CN colleagues with whom you can exchange ideas in this respect !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Tel]
      #5695440 - 02/22/13 07:24 PM

Milby your images are awe inspiring. I would love to go with the Hyperstar set up on my C8 but it wont work with my dslr. I've been contemplating going with a bigger scope but now Celestron only offers hyperstar on its Edge line. So now my quest is to find an alternative either a used c11 w/ hyperstar or a ccd camera for the c8. How dark are you skies in Indiana? With the amount of LP in the city does hyperstar make sense? I only get to a dark site 1-2 times a year.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5696658 - 02/23/13 01:54 PM Attachment (228 downloads)

Thanks, Tel!

James, do you mean your C8 is Fastar-ready but the DSLR is too large for the light path? That can be a problem and is one reason I'm using the SXV camera, which is cylindrical and smaller in diameter than the secondary mirror.

I think one of the advantages of the Hyperstar is its utility under light polluted skies. I'm sure yours are worse in Queens than mine here, but I do have some LP. With 30 second subs I suspect it won't be a problem for you - I can image galaxies under a full moon, after all.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5696751 - 02/23/13 02:45 PM

Yes, Milby, my c8 is fast star ready. I have no clue on which camera to buy. What features are critical and which just optomize performance and ease of use. I already have the same guider you are using, but have yet to try it out. Time and weather are my limiting factors.

As far as LP and a full moon, I've tried to photograph using a 50mm fast camera lens F/2 and at 15 second exposures it really washed out the sky. With a full moon under dark skies the terestrial background was fully illuminated but the sky was dark.

milby

#5697073 - 02/23/13 06:27 PM

The advantages of this Starlight camera are the size/shape as noted and the fact that it's one shot color. Filter wheels would get in the way of the light path. Starizona does have a new filter drawer for the Hyperstar which makes RGB a little more reasonable consideration. Filters otherwise screw into the camera adapter. I do some HA imaging and the drawer will make this easier to switch into and out of.

Scott from Starizona put up some pics taken under significant LP here: http://www.hyperstarimaging.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=174&cat=2

Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
      #5697164 - 02/23/13 07:37 PM

Milby, nice camera rig on the telescope...and a nice 308 in the garage. GTB or GTS?

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Thanatos78621]
      #5697479 - 02/23/13 10:28 PM

Good eye! '82 308 gtsi

Thanatos78621

#5697776 - 02/24/13 04:35 AM

Ahh, last year before the switch to the QV engine. I love the 308GTS (Thanks to watching too much Magnum PI as a kid) but I lean a bit to Dino 308 GT/4. Missed out on buying a '74 GT/4 because the seller took my deposit and then sold the car to someone else.

milby

#5698051 - 02/24/13 10:56 AM

You may wanna grab a GT4 while you can. They've been treated unfairly over the years - like the 246 Dino was - and look how expensive the 246's are these days. I would think you'd have a lawsuit against that seller, btw.

Thanatos78621

#5698596 - 02/24/13 05:01 PM

They have been going up in value for sure. I got my deposit back from him so I let it slide. I'm now leaning towards a '00 360 Modena if I go Ferrari when I get ready to buy. Otherwise, I've been the'06 Aston Vantage for my next toy purchase in a few years.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5698987 - 02/24/13 09:56 PM

Yeah that's a really nice rig you have but just the camera and hyperstar lens alone are going to set me back $2600. Maybe if I had more time to devote to this endevor, I'd consider it. I think I will continue to dream and keep learning on my simple dslr prime focus set up. Keep posting those awesome images !

milby

#5699098 - 02/24/13 11:14 PM

James, time is a major issue with me as well - busy job and a 7-month-old! F2 defnitely has that advantage. Give the Starizona guys a call and see what they think about your DSLR and the HStar/C8.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5699380 - 02/25/13 07:52 AM

I have often been tempted to go the hyperstar route, but I have been discouraged by horror stories of impossible collimation. What has been your experience with this?

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5699594 - 02/25/13 10:29 AM Attachment (124 downloads)

Collimation has not been a problem for me. The new Hyperstars have three sets of push-pull screws for this, but my system is in best collimation with the unit set flush, as it came "out of the box."

The other screws are to allow rotation of the lens for framing.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #5699779 - 02/25/13 12:31 PM

I am intrigued by the filter drawer that was just released for the hyperstar. I could imagine being able to rip through LRGB/HA/OIII in an evening at f/2 using a low noise TEC CCD!

Correct me if I am wrong, the Edge HD just helps with mirror flop in the hyperstar configuration, yes?

Best,

George

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ghataa]
      #5699908 - 02/25/13 02:05 PM

It's my understanding that the Edge HD flat field optics have no impact on Hyperstar vis a vis the older Celestrons, if that's what you mean.

Since you have to focus from primary mirror movement, locking the mirror isn't advised.

milby

#5703630 - 02/27/13 02:38 PM Attachment (276 downloads)

Speaking of focusing, I use a microtouch system with focusmax. More than half the time I actually focus things visually (that is with sequential exposures, monitoring the changes on screen) rather than using the focusmax automatic feature, because I like to be sure the entire starfield is in focus (i.e., the collimation is still true). BTW, Focusmax works nicely as a telescope hub via ASCOM.

Starizona says mirror shift is "not a problem" because removal of the secondary greatly diminishes the effect, but there is still detectable shift.

This M51 is comprised of 20 subs of 40 seconds each. Processed with Maxim DL and PixInsight

Edited by milby (02/27/13 02:45 PM)

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5703680 - 02/27/13 03:05 PM

Oh man, you got me really wanting to go HS. CFO will object, but wow!

Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
      #5703867 - 02/27/13 05:13 PM

Holy *BLEEP* that is awesome!

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Doug Michel]
      #5703992 - 02/27/13 06:22 PM

Beautifull image once again milby. Looks like my priorities have shifted to the purchace of a house. Until the dusts settles looks like all non-essential aquisitions are on hold. Although that could change by NEAF .

I emailed Starizona about the C8-DSLR combination but have yet to recieve a response.

Keep posting those awesome images

Doug Michel
sage

#5704902 - 02/28/13 08:49 AM

Milby, I was looking again at your most recent picture and noticed in the upper right corner there is a "star" or something that doesnt look like the others. At first I thouhgt it was the star moving across the sky, but this didnt happen to any others in your picture. It almost looks like you captured a much more distant galaxy there. Any ideas?

azcharlie

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5705098 - 02/28/13 10:52 AM

I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased a CGEM 1100 and the Hyperstar from Starizona. I also bought a used Atik 428EX. I am still struggling with aligning the scope and wasting much of my time just setting up the darn thing! The few images I have gotten have been ok, but nowhere near some of the images I've seen posted here and elsewhere. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect that my using Nebulosity for capture and processing may be part of the problem. I'm just not getting the results I expected. I know Maxim DL is the best, but $500! Yikes! Also, I haven't gone the route of autoguiding just yet, either. I'd like to stay married..... I can't figure out how to post an image small enough to post or I'd do it. Dean and Scott have been very helpful but they are always busy and would rather I drag the whole set up down to the shop on imaging nights, but I'm not sure I want to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the gain on the Atik 428EX?

Rick
Tucson

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5705317 - 02/28/13 01:01 PM

Doug,

I'm not Milby but that IS a galaxy. I've seen it identified in other photos. It has a NGC designation but I don't recall the number.

Doug Michel
sage

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Skip]
      #5705326 - 02/28/13 01:10 PM

Glad my eyes were not failing me, pretty sweet image with just the main galaxies, but to capture a far more distant object is really cool. I really need to avoid these threads, my wallet is not big enough for the thoughts this brings up about me doing this...

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
      #5705413 - 02/28/13 02:02 PM

I don't know that I can add much to what was already said. But I had a Hyperstar rig for a while - it was the older Nextstar GPS 8" SCT (purposely because of the metal bearings, vs the standard CPC, and the lighter CF tube). If it says anything, I'm planning to go back and build another Hyperstar rig because it was simply THAT GOOD.

My one and only issue (a minor one at that) was the collimation. If you set it right, and tightened the set screws appropriately it would hold just fine, session after session. If it came loose for any reason, it was a bear to set again. Maybe it's because I'm a stickler for perfection on collimation, but even the SLIGHTEST misalignment shows quite easily at the edge of your images at full resolution. While the center might look crisp, you end up with oblong stars in the corners if it is not perfect.

As mentioned above, cameras do matter. A DSLR is a bad idea on an 8" SCT because of light path obstruction, and other factors. Even my old square style QHY-8 caused a certain level of obstruction, and the edges of the casing made for strong diffraction spikes on bright stars (preference thing for everyone obviously). One benefit though was the fact that you could use the diffraction spikes as your focusing aid. After all, at F/1.8-F/2.0 focusing is critical. I never spent more than 30 seconds at it though, just pointed at a bright star, focused until the spikes were sharp and BAM.

Here's a few of my better hyperstar shots that I liked:

Orion and Running Man

North America and Pelican

Rosette

Pleiades

Cocoon

Even though you "can" get away without super accurate alignment, or even guiding, you will need it to get deep images.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5705673 - 02/28/13 04:21 PM

Josh, OUTSTANDING images - I'd love to know your workflow, if you'd be willing to share it

Rick, if you could post what you have it would be easier to make suggestions - although having Scott/Dean right there in your town is about the best you could hope for. Just about any image processing program will allow you to resize to the forum's limits (200kb)

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5705792 - 02/28/13 05:26 PM

milby,

Thanks for the compliments. There's definitely guys out there who have better post-processing skills than I have, but I'm always willing to share what I do know.

I'm currently in the process of getting my hands on a decent screen capturing app so I can record a workflow session to show exactly how I process my shots. I could screenshot everything and write it up in text but that will take me a little time. I started to put a few workflow segments on my blog a while back, but image file size/compression issues started to get in the way. Might be best if I just put it up on flickr, youtube, or vimeo.

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5705850 - 02/28/13 05:51 PM

This is really neat, why not dedicate this thread to hyperstar images? Many more like this and I will sell a kidney...

azcharlie

#5705927 - 02/28/13 06:33 PM

Hopskipson, I don't think that is true about Celestron not offering fastar in non-Edge models. I was considering the non-edge version and Dean at Starizona said there was no difference when using Hyperstar. I went with the Edge just for resale purposes. Either the xlt or edge will work with Hyperstar.

azcharlie

#5705928 - 02/28/13 06:33 PM

Hopskipson, I don't think that is true about Celestron not offering fastar in non-Edge models. I was considering the non-edge version and Dean at Starizona said there was no difference when using Hyperstar. I went with the Edge just for resale purposes. Either the xlt or edge will work with Hyperstar.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5706170 - 02/28/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

This is really neat, why not dedicate this thread to hyperstar images? Many more like this and I will sell a kidney...

In this hobby I've almost had to sell a kidney once or twice just to keep up with the gear costs.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: azcharlie]
      #5706175 - 02/28/13 08:54 PM

Quote:

Fastar was available even in the old Nexstar GPS - predecessor to the CPC or CPC Deluxe models, so it's been around for a while.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5706211 - 02/28/13 09:25 PM

I bought my SE8 about 3 years ago and it was offered as Faststar compatable. Now when I check new scopes it's not advertised only on the Edge models. Starizona does offer an adapter to change a non-faststar into one.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5706224 - 02/28/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

I bought my SE8 about 3 years ago and it was offered as Faststar compatable. Now when I check new scopes it's not advertised only on the Edge models. Starizona does offer an adapter to change a non-faststar into one.

I got my 8SE about 3 weeks ago and it came with Fastar. But some have reported on here that theirs didn't come with it. It's seems to be a toss up if you get it or not.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ben2112]
      #5706312 - 02/28/13 10:17 PM

Josh, obviously you did a great deal of mosaic work for those very-wide-scale shots. Marvelous results; love the HDR.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5706373 - 02/28/13 11:07 PM

When I got mine it came with a coupon for a magazine subscription that expired in 2006. So I think it was old stock. B&H and Celestron were advertising the faststar option at the time, but now do not.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5707020 - 03/01/13 11:24 AM

Quote:

Josh, obviously you did a great deal of mosaic work for those very-wide-scale shots. Marvelous results; love the HDR.

Actually, no HDR or mosaics on the ones I posted in the thread. Just stacking, and some basic photoshop.

However, I have done a lot of mosaics with my DSLR images, and with my lunar and solar shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daemongpf/sets/

I have some of it up in my flickr galleries, along with other Hyperstar shots too.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#5707228 - 03/01/13 01:51 PM

Josh,

Those Hyperstar shots are absolutely beautiful! Professional grade work, IMO. Near-Hubble quality.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5707544 - 03/01/13 05:43 PM

Thanks Skip! That's about as high of a compliment as I could ever hope to get on my images. Much appreciated.

I'm going to try and find a little time this evening and capture my workflow on Orion or the Rosette as I process the raw data, and post it up.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5707567 - 03/01/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Doug,I'm not Milby but that IS a galaxy. I've seen it identified in other photos. It has a NGC designation but I don't recall the number.

gxy top right corner = IC4263 class=SBc sze= 2.1' x 0.3' [Megastar] there are other smaller gxys in the frame.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: nytecam]
      #5707594 - 03/01/13 06:20 PM

milby - here's one I processed recently using the exact same data as that other Orion shot, but used more of an HDR approach. You can see the difference between the two. I like both, but the first always fealt more "natural" to me I guess. Not sure if that's really the right way to describe it.

Orion HDR

I'm testing out some screen capture apps right now, so if I get one that works to my liking I will record a couple of processing sessions to show what I do and post them up this evening.

milby

#5707636 - 03/01/13 07:00 PM

mesmerizing stuff, Josh, and I am very interested to see your processing techniques. How did you get such wide fields? I have to mosaic to get a complete Rosette, let alone North America.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5707864 - 03/01/13 09:49 PM

The Hyperstar 8" is only 425mm focal length, your 9.25 is 540 I think. The SXV-H9C is also 1392x1040 pixels on its array, my QHY-8 was 3032x2016 pixels. The focal length and chip difference make up for the variance.

I'm compiling the first workflow video right now. Just need to upload it and I'll post a link here shortly.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5707946 - 03/01/13 11:04 PM

Well, uploading is not going as planned.. I'll see if I can straighten this out tonight and have it posted tomorrow. Sorry about that.

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5708099 - 03/02/13 01:56 AM

Josh, that Orion shot is amazing. One of the best I've ever seen. Seriously, great shot!

Your equipment shots are like walking through a candy store. Do you have any shots with the Hyperstar or an Orange tube? The Stellarvue on the CGEM is my personal favorite.

It's always neat to see the setups out there.

SO MANY TOYS......

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5708468 - 03/02/13 10:18 AM

Ok everyone, sorry for the delay.

http://daemongpf.blogspot.com/2013/03/workflow-video-1.html

I posted a link to the workflow video, but also included a link to the raw unprocessed FITS file which you are welcome to download and experiment with, or follow along on the video to compare the results.

Tim,

Thanks for the compliments!

I do have some other pics of that rig in action at White Sands during the annual star party, and I think at a few outreach events I've done at some local schools. Let me dig around and I'll post some up this afternoon.

milby

#5709428 - 03/02/13 07:39 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

Thanks, Josh. Does seem like a pretty straightforward processing routine for PS. The data you captured is marvelous, though, and thanks for including the unprocessed file. I played around with it in Pixinsight for a little while to see what difference, if any, that platform/approach would have (attached in forum-required sub-200K form). Different ways to skin a cat, I suppose.

That 8/QHY was a great Hyperstar rig for wide-field images.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5709478 - 03/02/13 08:01 PM

Nice processing job. Looks good. I'll try to find some time to record my Orion processing since it involves a great deal more technique and workflow.

milby

#5709677 - 03/02/13 10:31 PM

The data is genuinely so good that the pic almost processes itself. I'm particularly taken with the star colors - much more dramatic than what I've been able to get from the SXV so far. Thanks again for sharing your insight and experience!

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5709690 - 03/02/13 10:39 PM

If I recall correctly, the stack was 60 x 120 seconds, flat subtracted, no dark subtraction. I usually ran the camera on a gain of about 9%. The QHY-8 is a pretty solid performer for the price. Very low noise.

Only thing I would have changed is going to the QHY-8 pro (cylindrical casing vs. the big square casing on the original QHY-8 that I had). Plus the pro was regulated cooling rather than "always on, maximum".

milby

#5726678 - 03/11/13 07:36 PM Attachment (113 downloads)

M82 during a brief hiatus in this winter's cloud shroud a few nights ago. This is with an HA filter

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5727477 - 03/12/13 05:26 AM

Suburb images Milby.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Peter9]
      #5727532 - 03/12/13 06:48 AM

Sorry, guys, I just haven't been keeping up with this thread but now on looking, I see there are some superb images here, notably from Milby !

My goodness though, this makes me envious ! Over here in the UK, we haven't seen the Sun in weeks let alone any stars !

By the way DaemonGPF, is that Stark Lab. "Nebulosity" I think I spotted there on your laptop which you're using for your capture/processing software ? If it is; just to say that I use the same, (weather permitting of course.....see above) !

Best regards,
Tel

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
      #5727700 - 03/12/13 09:17 AM

Great stuff folks!

I'm happy to report - My hyperstar is on the truck for delivery today!!! and of course, my CSC is now blindingly white..

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Escher]
      #5732323 - 03/14/13 02:14 PM Attachment (99 downloads)

Whale and hockey stick from last night.

milby

#5732479 - 03/14/13 04:02 PM Attachment (123 downloads)

M51 from 3/13/13

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
      #5732676 - 03/14/13 06:18 PM

Great images Milby

Just stunning.

Art

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5733075 - 03/14/13 09:50 PM

Those are really great Milby, really great. I have a CPC 9.25, the main advantage to hyper star is a really fast fl? About a fl2 or 3? May I ask what sort of camera your using? Really great shots you have,,
Kasey

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5733628 - 03/15/13 08:35 AM

Outstanding captures Milby.

Looks like you've caught NGC5169 too, bottom left of M51.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#5736032 - 03/16/13 11:23 AM

WOW Milby - just WOW!

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5736745 - 03/16/13 05:50 PM

Quote:

Sorry, guys, I just haven't been keeping up with this thread but now on looking, I see there are some superb images here, notably from Milby !

My goodness though, this makes me envious ! Over here in the UK, we haven't seen the Sun in weeks let alone any stars !

By the way DaemonGPF, is that Stark Lab. "Nebulosity" I think I spotted there on your laptop which you're using for your capture/processing software ? If it is; just to say that I use the same, (weather permitting of course.....see above) !

Best regards,
Tel

It is indeed Nebulosity. I used it for acquisition, stacking, and calibration (pre-processing). I always take my post processing into Photoshop.

Tel
Postmaster

#5736942 - 03/16/13 07:09 PM

Likewise !

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5769511 - 03/31/13 07:07 PM Attachment (119 downloads)

M97 and M108 from Friday night

milby

#5773062 - 04/02/13 02:22 PM Attachment (108 downloads)

M101 April 1. This is 25 subs of 120 seconds.

milby

#5773109 - 04/02/13 03:01 PM Attachment (94 downloads)

NGC 2403 April 1. Also 25 subs of 120s

Tel
Postmaster

#5774719 - 04/03/13 05:18 AM

As always, excellent imaging, Milby !

I particularly like NGC2403 ! I never thought to try that one because Camelopardalis is a difficult constellation for me "to reach" with my back yard set up. I think however, it can (just) be done, so many thanks for the inspiration ! I'll look into its feasibilty !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5775072 - 04/03/13 09:47 AM

Wonderful images as always Milby. I too like the look of NGC2403 sat amongst the stars.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

milby

#5777431 - 04/04/13 11:11 AM Attachment (79 downloads)

Tel, I know the feeling: the Southern sky is obscured by trees! Leo Triplet, April 2

Edited by milby (04/04/13 11:13 AM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5777843 - 04/04/13 02:17 PM

Once again, really nice imaging milby! Such detail and great color.

jonbosley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
      #5778008 - 04/04/13 04:01 PM

Hi milby,

Great hyperstar shots, I have a question regarding the CGEM mount as some people have said that it has problems with long exposure, as your images are shorter f2 ones have you tried longer f10 ones with any success?

Jon

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: jonbosley]
      #5778028 - 04/04/13 04:09 PM

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys!

Jon, I haven't imaged at the back end yet so I can't answer your question. About the longest sub I've done is 5 minutes and I couldn't identify any tracking issues. Of course the image scale is more forgiving with Hyperstar.

milby

#5778117 - 04/04/13 04:48 PM Attachment (79 downloads)

M106 April 4, 2013.

Tel
Postmaster

#5778118 - 04/04/13 04:48 PM

Hi Jon,

I've no specific knowledge of the CGEM but just perhaps to clarify ? Is your inquiry here, directed to possible long exposure problems when the mount is guided or unguided ?

Best regards,
Tel

jonbosley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
      #5780142 - 04/05/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

Hi Jon,

I've no specific knowledge of the CGEM but just perhaps to clarify ? Is your inquiry here, directed to possible long exposure problems when the mount is guided or unguided ?

Best regards,
Tel

Either, its regard to the gear cogging issues reported on this mount for longer exposures. I was just wondering how many mins exposure you could get before it became an problem.

milby

#5781837 - 04/06/13 01:00 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

Hmmmm. hadn't heard that about the CGEM. It's been wonderful for my needs.

Edited by milby (04/06/13 01:02 PM)

milby

#5789196 - 04/09/13 09:43 PM Attachment (75 downloads)

Sunflower 4/7/13

Tel
Postmaster

#5789684 - 04/10/13 07:19 AM

Hi Milby,

All looking extremely good ! I particularly like the "Leo Trio" !

Tell me this though; noting your earlier excellent image of NGC 7000, (The North America Nebula), have you thought of additionally using Ha or Olll particularly where such nebulae are concened ? (I presume they work with colour cameras such as yours) ?

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5790671 - 04/10/13 04:33 PM

Tel, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have used H-alpha and O III filters and posted some of the results in the Nexstar graduates thread.

milby

#5793085 - 04/11/13 07:09 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

NGC 4565 redux 4/7/13

Tel
Postmaster

#5793808 - 04/12/13 05:23 AM

Another nice image, Milby ! A UFO ?

I've been looking around recently for inspiration as to what next to attempt and you've just given it to me ! I did image it back in 2011 but you've just reminded me that it's still there !

In return, have you "tried" the "Blackeye Galaxy" (M64) in the same constellation ?

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5794112 - 04/12/13 10:28 AM

Hi Tel,

I do have some data from last week of M64. Hope to have some time this weekend to process it.

Cheers!

coinboy1
sage

Reged: 05/03/11

Loc: Tulsa, OK
      #5794115 - 04/12/13 10:29 AM

I have been impressed with the hyperstar and really have been thinking of getting a setup. Thanks for the inspiration!

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: coinboy1]
      #5795642 - 04/12/13 11:40 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

You're very welcome, coinboy. It has its bugaboos, but definitely its advantages, too.

M64 4/4/13

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5795808 - 04/13/13 03:59 AM

More outstanding images Milby.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

MadSci

Reged: 09/30/12

Loc: Washington DC Suburbs
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: azcharlie]
      #5809318 - 04/19/13 07:01 PM

I have both Maxim DL and the capture software that came with my ATIK 428ex. Frankly I only use Maxim because its what is compatible with my autofocuser. Its so clunky and awkward compared to the ATIK software. So I set up the focus, and then shift to the ATIK Software for capture.

AFAIK the gain on the camera isn't adjustable, nor should it need to be. The various amplification settings you find on the software are just for the image, not the camera.

I've had no porblem at all with my C8se/Hyperstar/ATIK 428ex combination, so if it is frustrating you perhaps you can post some more details about the issues and maybe someone will figure it out with you. I have called Starizona for help setting up the focuser I bought from them - it turned out they had inadvertently included the wrong set of instructions, and also with the camera - which turned out to be fine but I didn't have the correct offset set up in Nebulosity - lots of nice blue pictures - the Picasso of astro-imaging! - and they always gave me all the time and help I needed to make it work. If your Hyperstar is frustrating you i suggest calling them and discussing it with them. I have NEVER encountered better Customer Service than Starizona!

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: MadSci]
      #5813018 - 04/21/13 12:56 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

ngc 3184 last night

milby

#5813472 - 04/21/13 04:25 PM Attachment (60 downloads)

ngc 4725, with 4747 and 4712 along for the ride...

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5823426 - 04/26/13 12:12 AM

(I posted this earlier in the "hyperstar is crude" thread that is in Cat & Casses, but thought it might be appreciated here as well. My apologies if you come across it twice!)

I don't consider myself an expert by any means. In fact I'm little more than a beginner having been in this hobby for a bit less than two years. For me Hyperstar has been incredible! There isn't another system that would allow you to get all of the following in a SINGLE NIGHT and with an unmodified Nikon D7000, all from stacks of 30second, unguided, exposures:

Cocoon Nebula: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21509/
Horse & Flame: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21521/
Double Cluster: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21523/
Trifid & Lagoon: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21525/
Omega: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21526/
Andromeda: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21528/
Triangulum: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21529/
Pleiades: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21534/
Orion: http://www.astrobin.com/full/21533/

Later I moved to a 60Da and got an H-alpha filter and was able to get this from my backyard which is a white zone:

Rosette: http://www.astrobin.com/full/32724/

None of this is going to get published, but I find it an immensely satisfying setup.

As a side note, I have never collimated my Hyperstar. Whatever it was set to from the factory I've used untouched.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: end]
      #5823598 - 04/26/13 05:01 AM

Great "Hyperstar" imaging, End, with excellent scaling !

Could you tell me though, a little about your 'scope and mount set up ?

Also, have you any comments on the suitability of the NIkon D7000 or Canon 60DA for this purpose ?

Clearly from the above, both cameras work well with "Hyperstar" but, being larger in area than the "Hyperstar" lens, they must surely obscure incoming light to some extent......... or (?)

It was just that I was under the impression that DSLRs were not well suited to "Hyperstar" imaging for this reason. Obviously though, you've proved me wrong !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (04/26/13 06:45 AM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5823689 - 04/26/13 07:09 AM

Tel-If i'm not mistaken Starizona does not make a C8 hyperstar kit for a dslr or I would have bought one. You're right the camera's body would obstruct too much light.

end- outstanding images!

Edited by hopskipson (04/26/13 07:10 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5823708 - 04/26/13 07:32 AM

That was my impression, James.

It would nevertheless seem that even if the size (area) of the DSLR is, (as I've always naturally supposed it to be), greater than that of the "Hyperstar" unit, the obstruction it potentially causes still apparently permits more than sufficient light through End's 'scope causing no significant reduction in image quality.

The only thing we don't yet know is the aperture size of the 'scope used here and thus the ratio of its effective surface area to that of the camera's.

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5823770 - 04/26/13 08:25 AM

Great stuff, End!

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #5823906 - 04/26/13 09:40 AM

I am imaging on a C11 (Edge HD, but that doesn't really matter). This is mounted on a CGE PRO, but with Hyperstar you really don't have to have such a large mount. I'm sure a CGEM would be fine. And as I mentioned, these are unguided images.

The DSLR does indeed increase the central obstruction and also makes the diffraction spikes a bit odd, but neither of these dramatically impairs the image quality. More recently (after these images were taken) I've started using a donut shaped piece of felt on the corrector to improve the diffraction issue.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: end]
      #5824625 - 04/26/13 03:07 PM

Yeah a C11 would allow sufficient light to work with the hyperstar-dslr combo. I think you could use your Atik 314 Tel.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5824684 - 04/26/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

I think you could use your Atik 314 Tel.

I think you'll have to be just a little bit more persuasive than that James.

Regards. Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5825184 - 04/26/13 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think you could use your Atik 314 Tel.

I think you'll have to be just a little bit more persuasive than that James.

Regards. Peter.

How's this: I know if I had an Atik 314 I would have already purchaced a hyperstar lens na, na n'na, na!

Tel
Postmaster

#5825668 - 04/27/13 04:03 AM

Hi James, Hi Peter,

If I could use my Atik 314L or Canon 350D, I'd first have to take a hammer to the primary mirror cell of my 'ol Nexstar 8i OTA to remove it !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5825843 - 04/27/13 08:17 AM

Don't think your getting off that easy. Starizona has a conversion kit for non-faststar secondaries. No hammer necessary.

milby

#5828855 - 04/28/13 06:10 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

m3 4/25/13

Tel
Postmaster

#5829010 - 04/28/13 08:04 PM

Congratulations on a great image of M3, Milby !

Try perhaps desaturating it and, using "Levels", move the grey, (middle) slider further to the left a little ?

You may be surprised. There's more detail still there within the image which you may want to bring out and which will still not over expose the core !

Beautiful work ! !

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5829240 - 04/28/13 10:14 PM

Appreciate the input, Tel. As you may recall, I'm on the learning curve with Pixinsight, which is a remarkably deep program but quite different from Photoshop. At present my "issue" with it is achieving good noise reduction without sacrificing data. The fight goes on

Tel
Postmaster

#5829544 - 04/29/13 04:35 AM Attachment (59 downloads)

Looks like you're winning "hands down", Milby !

Here's what I meant regarding a desaturation to the original plus a slight shift in "Levels" which I'm sure Pixinsight must equally have on its feature list; (i.e. Levels and Curves).

I don't think this has introduced any noise but has brought out more star details. However, the end result is solely for you alone to judge !

Keep 'em coming !

Best regards,
Tel

milby

#5829681 - 04/29/13 08:33 AM

Oh, the program can do it, no doubt. It's the user that's the rate-limiting step!

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5829713 - 04/29/13 09:08 AM

Yes milby, I have this same limitation!

milby

#5832390 - 04/30/13 01:49 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

Pressing on...some m101 data from a few weeks back...

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
      #5832522 - 04/30/13 02:50 PM

Hi Milby

You have a lot of very good images with the C9.25 Edge and hyperstar! I'm very interested in this setup, what are your impressions?

Best regards

Alfredo

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Alfredo Beltran]
      #5832745 - 04/30/13 04:49 PM

Alfredo, returned your PM

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5832790 - 04/30/13 05:13 PM

love this thread!

milby

#5834759 - 05/01/13 04:42 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

M81/82 pair from last night. Quick processing - I think I can get the Cigar tweaked a little better

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5835013 - 05/01/13 06:56 PM

I found a Horsehead shot I did a while back with my C8 Hyperstar.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5835015 - 05/01/13 06:58 PM

I also wrapped up a second processing video showing how I did the Orion post-processing, to supplement the other video I posted above a while back.

https://vimeo.com/62532255 Orion (warning, it's lengthy)

https://vimeo.com/60882036 North American Nebula (basic post processing vid from above)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5835339 - 05/01/13 10:21 PM

Beautiful HH

milby

#5835361 - 05/01/13 10:40 PM

It really is. Josh does great work.

milby

#5836075 - 05/02/13 11:23 AM Attachment (68 downloads)

sombrero galaxy from 5/1/13

Tel
Postmaster

#5837696 - 05/03/13 06:45 AM

Again some good imaging here, Milby and Josh !

A great HH and "Flame Nebula", Josh, and I particularly like your M101 Milby !

Best regards,
Tel

svtdoug
sage

Reged: 02/07/11

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
      #5838727 - 05/03/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Either, its regard to the gear cogging issues reported on this mount for longer exposures. I was just wondering how many mins exposure you could get before it became an problem.

Hi Jon,

The dec cogging issue with the CGEM has been solved by Celestron with new motor control firmware. I've been part of the beta testing and it is working great now. I've been able to get 10 minute subs - around 12 with no throw-outs, with a 25 lb load. I imagine I could go longer. My DEC RMS guiding has been around .20 pixels, and dec guiding has been better than RA. I've also been imaging with my C8 at 2000mm FL, which I could never do before the fix.

The public release of this fix should be available very soon, days or a couple of weeks at most. In any case, the beta is also available to anyone who signs up at TeamCelestron.com.

I would highly recommend the CGEM now. I have been delighted with it since using the new firmware.

Doug

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: svtdoug]
      #5855395 - 05/12/13 12:32 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

M13 last night. This is 100 subs of 100 seconds each.

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/08

Loc: LaGrange, GA
      #5856221 - 05/12/13 07:54 PM

I thought I would chime in here with an image I posted on the DSLR forum. I did this with 14 x 120s subs with my C11 Hyperstar, Astronomik CLS-CCD filter and my wife's UN-MODDED T2i. A total of 28 whole minutes!

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #5856263 - 05/12/13 08:24 PM

Hi Phil

It is amazing how much Ha can get the unmodified DSLR with hyperstar in just 30 minutes.

What ISO did you use?

Glad you fixed the problems with your hyperstar.

Best regards

Alfredo

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/08

Loc: LaGrange, GA
      #5856410 - 05/12/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

Hi Phil

It is amazing how much Ha can get the unmodified DSLR with hyperstar in just 30 minutes.

What ISO did you use?

Glad you fixed the problems with your hyperstar.

Best regards

Alfredo

Alfredo,
Sorry I forgot to mention it, the ISO was set to 1600.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #5856514 - 05/12/13 10:52 PM

Spectacular, Phil. Just a gorgeous image

milby

#5857808 - 05/13/13 03:49 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

M108 from May 10, 2013. 25 subs, 100 seconds per

milby

#5857899 - 05/13/13 04:42 PM Attachment (78 downloads)

M109 5/10/13 25 subs of 100s

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5857917 - 05/13/13 04:52 PM

I am just loving your pics, Milby. Great job!!

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ben2112]
      #5858988 - 05/14/13 12:11 AM

Thanks, Ben!

ohioalfa64
sage

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Ohio (NW)
      #5926423 - 06/17/13 09:55 PM

Milby, you must be processing images every night. Your quality is fantastic. That Indiana sky must be wonderful.

Last Frontier

Reged: 11/14/10

Loc: Healdsburg, CA, USA
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5970235 - 07/14/13 11:36 AM

Milby,

Great pics and hope to get there myself soon. I just retired and getting back into the astro bit. Just ordered the EdgeHD9.25 with Hyperstar and the Nightscape 8300. Leaving a SN 8 with DSI III. Hope to see an improvement in quality.

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Last Frontier]
      #5970375 - 07/14/13 01:13 PM

I also received a month ago the C9.25 EdgeHD plus hyperstar. It is a powerful combo even with a DSLR as you can see here which is my first image with this setup.

I'm very glad I purchased it.

Best regards

Alfredo

rockstarbill
sage

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5980379 - 07/19/13 07:09 PM

Quote:

I found a Horsehead shot I did a while back with my C8 Hyperstar.

Holy cow! That is one of the best HH's I have seen. You did that with a C8 and Hyperstar!? What is the learning curve like for Hyperstar imaging? I bookmarked your post-processing tutorials for future reference, so thanks for those as well.

In all of the images you have posted, the spikes on your stars are so crisp. Is there a secret to that?

-Bill

SilverSilk

Reged: 08/10/13

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6018494 - 08/11/13 02:40 AM

Aloha ALL!!! I am brand new to the hobby of Astrophotography (although I have been playing with scopes and looking at the heavens since I was about 8). I am to the point where I am ready to see more than I can see with my little NexStar 4Se.

I have been looking and am thinking about getting a Celestron Advanced VX 8" EdgeHD and a
HyperStar lense with Atik 314E (combo deal on starizona.com)

Any thoughts / suggestions on this setup?

I live in Hawaii and the quality of the skies here are some of the best in the world (from what I understand) so I feel I have a great opportunity to get some great data.

Some questions I have:
1. will 8" aperture be enough "clearance" (for lack of a better word) for the hyperstar with Atik 314E on the front of the scope? The diameter of the Atik is 4" so feels like I am losing a lot of light.

2. I have spent some time reading around and see great tutorials about post processing (on this thread there are a few links to some great resources). But if it's one thing I have learned with my little getup (old DSLR camera and a 4" scope with a poor mount) it's that no matter how good you are at post processing you have to start with good data first. I understand the concept of multiple images and stacking but am a little fuzzy on the Dark and Bias concept. Anyone have a good link to a beginners guide to that whole concept and do I even need to worry about that with hyperstar?

3. Lastly I have not seen a lot of info on how to determine how you setup the actual capturing of the images (ISO, Length, Number of Images to stack). I am sure it depends on what you are imaging. I know hyperstar shortens the amount of time you need to keep the shutter open but does anyone have a standard rule of thumb to start me on the right track with ISO and other settings ect...

Sorry for the long post but have a lot more questions than answers at this point and considering its a healthy investment to get started (around $3500 for the equipment above) I want to make sure I do my research first. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!!!

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: SilverSilk]
      #6018598 - 08/11/13 07:38 AM

Hi SilverSilk,

Welcome to CN and to this particular forum.

To try to answer the questions you've posed:

1) Use of an Atik 314E on a Celestron 8" Edge will reduce the latter's potential light gathering surface area to approximately 38 square inches from a maximum of around 45 square inches: the obscured area caused by the secondary mirror cell having been taken into account.

Thus, in my opinion, it would be more advantageous to use something like the 55mm (2.2") Atik 428EX but, bearing in mind the large cost difference between the 314E and the 428EX, I still think you will be able to use your 314E with impunity.

2) The taking of "Darks" is a means whereby electronic "Noise" generated by CCD and CMSO camera chips may be reduced if not eliminated from your images altogether.

You may have noticed such "Noise" when using your 4SE/DSLR combination; particularly when using a high ISO number. Essentially, it produces an unwanted speckled effect on the image which may be accompanied by a selection of hot pixels.

"Noise" is almost invariably an accompaniment to an uncooled camera. With however, a cooled camera such as the Atik 314E, "Noise" should be held to a minimum. Indeed, if the ambient temperature is low enough, the taking of "Darks" may well be unnecessary.

3) Not so perhaps when it comes to taking "Flats". These serve to eliminate lightness/darkness gradients within your image. They are simple enough to obtain: one merely covers the 'scope's objective lens, (corrector plate in this instance), with a white cloth, ("T" Shirt ?), and takes a few shots at the same exposure time as was used for the image itself. (The same goes by the way for taking "Darks", only with this particular issue, the corrector plate will be covered with its protective cover plate).

As to Bias(s) frame taking, I wouldn't concern yourself with them. In my opinion they are of little or no value when operating a CCD camera.

Finally, (for now), but just to add, I trust you will be using the Atik software to capture and process your images. (?) If so, I'm afraid I have no experience of this software although I operate an Atik 314L; preferring to use Stark Lab. "Nebulosity" software with which to capture, subtract "Darks" and "Flats", stack and partially process my images.

Out of interest, I take it that your 314E is a "one shot" colour camera in contrast to my 314L which is a monochrome. (?)

Hoping these few comments help a little. If you require more detail I'll be happy to provide if I can. Note that for now, I have made no comment regarding the 'scope/mount set-up but no doubt others will chip in on the topic.

Best regards,
Tel

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #6018903 - 08/11/13 12:01 PM

Hi SilverSilk:

I'd suggest taking a look at this website:
http://www.astropix.com

Lots of great information on the site itself, but the books on CD that he sells are well worth the money too. Easy to understand, brief and to the point. They don't go on and on, but instead give you just information you need to understand darks, flats, bias, and much more.

The author, Jerry Lodriguss, is also a member of Cloudy Nights and will often respond to questions in the imaging forums.

-Dan

Alfredo Beltran
sage

#6018924 - 08/11/13 12:15 PM

Hi SilverSilk

I think you could contact Dean at Starizona and he will guide you in your decision. If you want to keep the DSLR you will need to go for a C9.25 or higher. That's what I did (Edge version) and I don't regret it since it is a very capable scope. You can see here the first two images taken with that setup: M08 and M16

On the other hand if you want to go for the C8 plus hyperstar, you will need a camera with narrow profile. Any of the Atik 4 series will do, the Starlight Xpress or something as the QHY. Those cover a huge range of options and prices, going from the Atik 420 to the SXVR-M25C or M26C. Here you will find what are the cameras compatible with hyperstar on the C8.

I'm sure you will find one combination that fits what you're looking for!

Let us know if you need more help.

Best regards,

Alfredo

Tel
Postmaster

#6018997 - 08/11/13 01:00 PM

Hyperstar is a great piece of kit for producing superb images using very short exposure times. However, perhaps its use should be put a little more into perspective ?

While Hyperstar can likely produce a complete image of the entire Andromeda Galaxy and encompass both Bode's Galaxy, (M81) and the "Cigar" (M82) easily within the same field of view, this advantage is of little use for imaging a good proportion, (for example), of the Messier Catalogue where many of the objects are only a few arc-minutes across. Thus detail within these objects through use of Hyperstar is generally lost in a sea of background stars.

Consequently, (and I speak from no personal experience of Hyperstar" whatsoever), I can imagine that one would have to set one's sights on any particular evening, to concentrate on imaging "wide field " objects only; suggesting that to contemplate swapping back, (and perhaps forth), to the standard secondary mirror system "on the hoof" might not be easy; invoking perhaps even re-collimation, (or at least a check).

On the other hand, I read that the 314E is compatible with f/3.3 focal reducers/field flatteners, (Meade ?). If this is so, isn't this far cheaper route to wide field imaging worth considering ? If this IS a possible alternative, it's certainly a more flexible one in terms of what might be imaged on any particular night. (?)

BUT, what do you guys think ?

Best regards,
Tel

rockstarbill
sage

#6019503 - 08/11/13 06:52 PM

From my perspective, Hyperstar is a tool that allows you to do ultra fast wide imaging. In the event that you want narrower imaging, you can always put the secondary back in, and image via prime focus. Since the secondary is indexed, it goes back in the exact same position it came out of - thus collimation should not be necessary. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Now this is all in theory. My Hyperstar lens showed up yesterday and provided things stay clear in the area I will be out testing it tonight on M13, and possibly M31. I may even take a few cracks at the NA Neb and other items of interest in Cygnus.

As for the Meade FR/FF - I have no clue.

SilverSilk

Reged: 08/10/13

#6020191 - 08/12/13 03:48 AM

First of all, you are all awesome to take your time to share you experience with me. It is much appreciated.

Thanks to Tel for the info on Light / Dark / Bias frames. And as for the camera I would love to get one of the nicer, smaller profile CCD's but the price difference is pretty steep and not sure I can justify the price at the moment along with the scope. Maybe I can graduate to one of those later on. The 314e is a one shot color which I thought would simplify things for a beginner staying away needing to add a color wheel to the mix. I understand that my field of view will be different using hyperstar and that I can always go back to the secondary miror setup if needed but also wanted to avoid having to purchase an auto guider which I understand is highly recommended if not using a hyperstar due to the FOV and length of exposures needed. Is that a correct assumption?

Midnight Dan, I will have a look at the link you posted thank you for your input. I think the CD's sound like just what I need.

Alfredo, I actually think the DSLR (Cannon Rebel XTi) is having some issues. It was a hand me down from a relative because she said the sensor needed some cleaning or maintenance. I also understand (correct me if I am wrong) that the CCD cameras designed for astrophotography have a chip that is geared at a different band (spectrum) of light than a normal DSLR camera correct? And since my main goal is to really just use it for astrophotography going with CCD seemed like a smarter place to put my money.

Thanks again for everyones input. I am really excited to get started in the hobby once I have a good base to jump in from (and can convince my wife that I really need to spend the 4k to get setup

Tel
Postmaster

#6020306 - 08/12/13 08:02 AM

Hi SilverSilk,

In addition to the information I gave you referring to "Darks, Flats and Bias", I've since come across this article which may explain them better than I and, at the same time, give you an indication of how to use them.

http://www.astrophoto.net/calibration.php

Secondly, I certainly appreciate the cost issues of getting into astrophotography, but with a little application, the outlay doesn't have to be excessive in order to produce very pleasing images. Indeed, most of the "stuff" I'm generating these days is via a "Cheapo" 4" (102mm) f/5.9 achromatic refractor and a monochromatic Atik 314L+ employing both Hydrogen alpha and Oxygen lll filters.

True, this limits me to emission nebulae and artificial colouring of the image, (if required), by means of "paletting" but, if I wish to image other objects, (e.g. globular clusters, galaxies etc.), then I can either use the Atik combined with a RGB filter wheel or use my DSLR camera. Field size increase, (if required) is controlled by focal reducers.

My 4" refractor is in fact paired, (set in parallel), with my old Nexstar 8i's OTA and the whole arrangement sits on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with a 'scope and accessory load capacity of 16Kg (35lbs). The 'scope and accessory load is counterbalanced by 3 X 5kg (11lbs) counterweights.

By this means, I an able to image with either 'scope (depending on the choice of target), using the non-imaging 'scope to act as the guide 'scope on the night. For guiding, I use an old Meade DSI Mk.1.

But in answer to your question:

Because of the large reduction in the focal ratio of the f/10 "Edge", (to ca. f/2), by means of a Hyperstar unit, exposure times are indeed dramatically reduced, obviating the otherwise probable need to guide and thus a guide 'scope/camera set-up.

However, before committing yourself, compare perhaps the relative costs and flexibility in image choice in the use of the "Edge" with such a guide system, (e.g. Orion Auto-guider package ?) and a focal reducer, with equipping the "Edge" with a Hyperstar ?

Please accept that I am not anti-Hyperstar: it certainly has its place in astrophotography. I do however think it is an expensive item given the single and limited facet to imaging, (wide field shots) it is capable of delivering, particularly when, to get the maximum from it, an appropriately dimensioned CCD camera is ideally required adding even more cost; cost which, in my humble opinion, could be better spent on building a more general purpose imaging set-up.

I'm sure other opinions will differ and rightly so !

Best regards,
Tel

P.S. I would add that the cost of my set-up has essentially been spread over the last seven years.

P.S.S. One last thought on this issue.

Talking of short, and thus unguided exposure times, if the Advanced VX mount is appropriately polar aligned, 60-90 second unguided exposures should easily be feasible without image drift from a standard f/10 "Edge" reduced to f/6.3 by means of a f/6.3 FR/FF.

Edited by Tel (08/12/13 10:06 AM)

Alfredo Beltran
sage

#6020322 - 08/12/13 08:22 AM

Hi SilverSilk

Stock DSLRs have a filter that ensures the camera can mimic human vision and thus Ha sensitivity is dropped to around 8%. That's why a lot of astroimagers modify them.

CCD cameras obviously have advantages by being a purpose built device.

Don't want to begin the DSLR vs CCD discussion since they both can produce good astroimages and the purpose of this thread is to discuss hyperstar imaging.

With hyperstar and DSLR or CCD cameras very good images can be produced.

Best regards

Alfredo

rockstarbill
sage

#6022188 - 08/13/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

First of all, you are all awesome to take your time to share you experience with me. It is much appreciated.

Thanks to Tel for the info on Light / Dark / Bias frames. And as for the camera I would love to get one of the nicer, smaller profile CCD's but the price difference is pretty steep and not sure I can justify the price at the moment along with the scope. Maybe I can graduate to one of those later on. The 314e is a one shot color which I thought would simplify things for a beginner staying away needing to add a color wheel to the mix. I understand that my field of view will be different using hyperstar and that I can always go back to the secondary miror setup if needed but also wanted to avoid having to purchase an auto guider which I understand is highly recommended if not using a hyperstar due to the FOV and length of exposures needed. Is that a correct assumption?

Midnight Dan, I will have a look at the link you posted thank you for your input. I think the CD's sound like just what I need.

Alfredo, I actually think the DSLR (Cannon Rebel XTi) is having some issues. It was a hand me down from a relative because she said the sensor needed some cleaning or maintenance. I also understand (correct me if I am wrong) that the CCD cameras designed for astrophotography have a chip that is geared at a different band (spectrum) of light than a normal DSLR camera correct? And since my main goal is to really just use it for astrophotography going with CCD seemed like a smarter place to put my money.

Thanks again for everyones input. I am really excited to get started in the hobby once I have a good base to jump in from (and can convince my wife that I really need to spend the 4k to get setup

Look at the QHY8L, it is a very good CCD camera for the price. Note its pitfalls though (really good for long exposures, not so hot for short ones). Starizona supports this camera via the adapter included with the Hyperstar setup. I got mine from Astrofactors.

https://www.astrofactors.com/one-shot-color/qhy8l.html

In terms of guiding, yes it is better for longer exposures but you can still get great data without it.

Edited by rockstarbill (08/13/13 04:28 AM)

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
      #6038144 - 08/21/13 11:17 AM

HI

where are your tutorials located?

milby

M33 new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6262567 - 12/19/13 08:01 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

M33 last week. 50 subs of 100s w/Hyperstar. Processed with PI, no noise reduction.

CWHughes

Reged: 09/21/13

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: milby]
      #6579064 - 06/12/14 05:22 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Hi guys…

My first post on CN although I've been a lurker for over a year. I just bought a Hyperstar system last fall and living here in Tucson, it has been a great help to be able to go down to Starizona on the weekends for help. Scott and Dean are incredibly helpful and eager to help you get the results you are trying to get.

My system is a Celestron Edge HD 1100, CGEM DX mount, Atik 460EX OSC camera, a Celestron 80mm guide scope and STX Lodestar for guiding. I use Maxim DL and Photoshop CS6 for image processing but am just getting started with PS.

I also bought the filter slider adapter for my Hyperstar and recently purchased a Ha filter but haven't used it yet.

I thought I'd share a few of my photos here as well and I hope the thread sees a bit more activity. This one is NGC 7023 (Iris Nebula) in Cepheus from a week ago.

Curt

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: CWHughes]
      #6579124 - 06/12/14 06:03 PM

Wonderful image Curt!

How long were your subs and how many did you use?

Regards

Alfredo

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: Alfredo Beltran]
      #6579127 - 06/12/14 06:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Alfredo…

They were 12 subs, each 240 seconds.

Curt

CWHughes

#6579129 - 06/12/14 06:10 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here is my M27. 20 subs, 30 seconds each.

CWHughes

#6579131 - 06/12/14 06:11 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

My Sombrero Galaxy, M104. 18, 240 second subs.

CWHughes

#6579141 - 06/12/14 06:15 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Elephant Trunk, part of IC1396 in Cepheus. 10 subs, 300 seconds each.

CWHughes

#6579146 - 06/12/14 06:17 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

M42 with a composite of 10 second and 60 second stacked images.

CWHughes

#6579155 - 06/12/14 06:23 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Eagle Nebula… 12 subs, 300 seconds.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6579458 - 06/12/14 09:30 PM

Nice work Curt! I just picked up a Fastar C11 this April with the hopes of getting the Hyperstar next year. I hope to get as nice results as you have. Keep posting.

CWHughes

#6579497 - 06/12/14 09:56 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Flame and Horsehead in Orion. 20 subs X 30 seconds.

CWHughes

#6579500 - 06/12/14 09:57 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Crab Nebula - M1 in Taurus. 20 subs X 60 seconds.

CWHughes

#6579502 - 06/12/14 09:58 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

M13 in Hercules. 15 subs X 120 seconds each.

CWHughes

#6579506 - 06/12/14 10:00 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

M51 (20 240 second subs).

CWHughes

#6579513 - 06/12/14 10:02 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

NGC 4565 (Outer Limits Galaxy). 20 X 120 seconds.

CWHughes

#6579523 - 06/12/14 10:08 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

NGC 6914 in Cygnus (15, 240 second subs).

CWHughes

#6579526 - 06/12/14 10:11 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Rosette Nebula and Star Cluster. 20 subs X 30 seconds each).

CWHughes

#6579531 - 06/12/14 10:15 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

One more… Fireworks Galaxy (NGC 6946). 5 minute subs X 15.

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6579533 - 06/12/14 10:17 PM

Thanks, James… you'll love the Hyperstar, especially if you live in a high LP area.

Curt

CWHughes

#6583836 - 06/15/14 02:33 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Trio in Leo. 18X300 sec.

CWHughes

#6583843 - 06/15/14 02:36 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

NGC 281 "Pacman" Nebula. 20X 30 sec.

CWHughes

#6583871 - 06/15/14 02:58 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Sh-125 Cocoon Nebula (20X30sec).

CWHughes

#6583873 - 06/15/14 02:59 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

M101 (15 X 300 sec).

CWHughes

#6583874 - 06/15/14 03:01 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

M81/82 (20X30sec).

CWHughes

#6583876 - 06/15/14 03:02 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

M3 (15 X 180 sec).

CWHughes

#6583887 - 06/15/14 03:08 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

My system.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
      #6584170 - 06/15/14 06:17 PM

Quite a library you've built up in a hurry. I've been having a blast with my Hyperstar on a CPC-1100. Even with 30s subs and a DSLR, I've been getting great and fun images.

Jim in Boulder

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: HeyJP]
      #6586534 - 06/16/14 11:02 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Long time fan of the Hyperstar here. Here's my most recent capture NGC 6974 Pickering's Triangle.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: JoeR]
      #6586543 - 06/16/14 11:08 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Comet C/2012 K1 Panstarrs

CWHughes

#6586647 - 06/17/14 12:18 AM

Very nice!

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6587384 - 06/17/14 01:42 PM

Joe, Great images (and a very nice gallery too). Those are two great examples of perfect Hyperstar targets ... big extended nebulae and comets with tails.

CWHughes

#6588290 - 06/17/14 11:08 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

M94 12 X 240 sec.

CWHughes

#6588294 - 06/17/14 11:09 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

M106 10 X 300 seconds.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6591376 - 06/19/14 07:06 PM

Joe,

Nice shot of the PanSTARRS 2012/K1 Comet. You picked up the 2nd tail well!! Not many shots show that!

I have a shot I took at the Texas Star Party... and if I tweak the backlighting juuuuust right I can imagine I see it too. Very noisy. I did 30 subs at 40s, so only 20 minutes of imaging (C11, alt-az, Hyperstar f/2, Canon 6D)

Jim in Boulder

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6591386 - 06/19/14 07:10 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Here's a shot I took at the Texas Star Party a couple of weeks ago. It's the Pelican and North American Nebulae with an unmodded Canon 6D. One of my first shots of a wide field nebula.

- CPC1100 at f/2 with Hyperstar
- Canon 6D unmodded at ISO 1600
- 46 subs at 30s each (23 minutes of exposure)
- Unguided, alt-az mount, no darks, no flats
- Aligned & Stacked in PixInsight
- GradientXTerminator and Streeeeeeetched in Photoshop

Jim in Boulder

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6591392 - 06/19/14 07:13 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

...and just for good measure, my take on Omega Centauri, shot low across the ground at the Texas Star Party 2 weeks ago.

- CPC1100 at f/2 with Hyperstar
- Canon 6D unmodded at ISO 1600
- 50 subs at 30s each (25 minutes of exposure)
- Unguided, alt-az mount, no darks, no flats
- Aligned & Stacked in PixInsight
- Streeeeeeetched in Photoshop

Jim in Boulder

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

#6591426 - 06/19/14 07:41 PM

Beautiful shots there Jim. That full frame 6D gets a lot of North America & Pelican in the FOV. Your collimation looks good in the corners I'd like to see a full resolution image of that one.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6591760 - 06/19/14 11:28 PM

Hey Joe,

I'll post the full image, but I didn't crop much off that one. I was a little off center so I tried to keep nearly all of it. I used GradientXTerminator rather than flats, and the full frame 6D gets a lot of vignetting off the Hyperstar which is designed for APC sensors.

Jim

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6592442 - 06/20/14 11:44 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Another in my series of "quick-n-dirty" astrophotographs is this shot of M31 Andromeda Galaxy, also from the Texas Star Party.

For symmetry and celebrating Messier... I thought it appropriate to take 31 subs of 31 seconds each. I used ISO 1600 rather than ISO 31 however. ;-)

This one held up well: I printed a 30x20 version of this at Costco for $8.99 and have it pinned to the wall in my office.

- CPC-1100 at f/2 with Hyperstar
- Canon 6D, unmodified, at ISO 1600
- 31 subframes of 31sec each, (15 minutes of exposure)
- Unguided, Unmodded, Alt-Az Mount, No Darks, No Flats
- Aligned and Stacked in Pixinsight, Streeeetched in Photoshop

Jim in Boulder

CWHughes

#6592472 - 06/20/14 12:02 PM

Very nice, Jim!

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6592480 - 06/20/14 12:09 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Joe,

Here's the full frame of the master-stack for my Pelican-NAmerica Nebulae image. I took the full frame and did a quick stretch without much care, just so you can see what's there. You can see a lot of vignetting from the Hyperstar projecting onto the overly large 6D sensor. And you can see the black surrounding edge from stacking images that were rotated to remove the field rotation between images. As you can see, I didn't crop a lot out of this image to get my final above in this thread.

With my CPC1100 and Hyperstar, the field of view on the 6D is 3.7 x 2.5 degrees. I did reduce the pixel count and compress with JPEG to meet the 200K limit on Cloudy Nights. But the image represents the view of the full frame.

Jim in Boulder

CWHughes

#6608445 - 06/30/14 12:35 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Barnard 72 from last week.

Edited by CWHughes (06/30/14 12:36 AM)

CWHughes

#6608447 - 06/30/14 12:40 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

NGC 6888 with 80 minutes of Ha stacked with 60 minutes color.

Edited by CWHughes (06/30/14 12:43 AM)

CWHughes

#6608455 - 06/30/14 12:45 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

M20 60 minutes (15 X 240 sec)

CWHughes

#6608459 - 06/30/14 12:47 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Eastern Loop of the Veil (60 minutes color).

CWHughes

#6608461 - 06/30/14 12:49 AM

Guys… how are you all able to post larger images? The warning I get says there is a 200kb limit…?

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6609219 - 06/30/14 01:23 PM

CW,

Yeah, the limit for inline images is 200KB. My standard for posting here is to reduce the image size to 810x540 (1/4 of 1080p size) and use JPEG to get it below 200KB. Usually JPEG quality between 6-8 in Photoshop. Results in a decent sized image and reasonable quality.

Beyond that, you can post a link to another site that contains a hirez image.

Jim in Boulder

Tel
Postmaster

#6609303 - 06/30/14 02:01 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Hi CW,

Does this fit the sort of size you want? I just doubled the pixel width in P/Shop, (i.e. to 800X 640 from your existing 400 X 320), and adjusted the JPEG quality to (9 High) at 177Kb to fall within CN's bytes limitations.

Don't, for goodness sake, ask me what all that means though. I know how to do it but not the underlying technology behind it, (nor do I want to) !

Best regards,
Tel

Edit: It looks slightly oversized now at 800 X 640 Pixels. It can of course be reduced to whatever you require.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: Tel]
      #6609311 - 06/30/14 02:07 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

For example: Here's 700 X 560.
Best regards,
Tel

CWHughes

#6609543 - 06/30/14 04:20 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Thanks for the info Jim and Tel. I just resized my Crescent Nebula image in PS and reduced the JPEG quality to Medium and got the image under 200kb. Here's what it looks like.

CWHughes

#6609549 - 06/30/14 04:23 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Here's B72...

CWHughes

#6609553 - 06/30/14 04:26 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Trifid...

CWHughes

#6609555 - 06/30/14 04:28 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

E. Loop of Veil….

CWHughes

#6609561 - 06/30/14 04:29 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

M27

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6609694 - 06/30/14 05:49 PM

Nice images (smaller and larger). It's certainly interesting seeing the larger image with only a slight loss of color depth and smoothness.

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6609818 - 06/30/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Nice images (smaller and larger). It's certainly interesting seeing the larger image with only a slight loss of color depth and smoothness.

Thanks Mark. I'll be out again tonight!

Curt

CWHughes

#6609832 - 06/30/14 07:09 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

M3

CWHughes

#6609841 - 06/30/14 07:11 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Gamma Cygni and a portion of IC 1318...

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6610041 - 06/30/14 09:11 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

A shot of M31 Andromeda from the Rocky Mountain Star Stare west of Pueblo in the mountains. Shot this Saturday night with Hyperstar and unmodded 6D.

- CPC-1100 at f/2 with Hyperstar
- Canon 6D, unmodified, at ISO 1600
- 100 subframes of 30s each, (50 minutes of exposure)
- Unguided, Unmodded, Alt-Az Mount, No Darks, No Flats
- Aligned and stacked in Pixinsight, Streeeetched in Photoshop

Best,

Jim in Boulder

CWHughes

#6611134 - 07/01/14 12:32 PM

Very nice!

CWHughes

#6613638 - 07/02/14 07:11 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

NGC 6969 Western Loop of Veil Nebula.

CWHughes

#6613832 - 07/02/14 09:34 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Sh 2-155 Cave Nebula from Monday night's imaging.

CWHughes

#6613838 - 07/02/14 09:37 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Barnard 145 in Cygnus also from Monday.

CWHughes

#6616487 - 07/04/14 01:53 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

M22 imaged 6-30-14

CWHughes

#6616993 - 07/04/14 06:41 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

M101 (reprocessed using flats and bias frames)

rockstarbill
sage

#6618249 - 07/05/14 03:38 PM

Great images!

Quick question - would upgrading from a C8 to a Edge HD 8" tube provide any benefit at all, from purely a Hyperstar imaging perspective?

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6618263 - 07/05/14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Great images!

Quick question - would upgrading from a C8 to a Edge HD 8" tube provide any benefit at all, from purely a Hyperstar imaging perspective?

Many thanks!

I am fairly certain that there wouldn't be any difference as the Hyperstar is configured for either scope. The only reason I bought the HD is for resale value but that might not make any difference if one is using the scope for imaging only (as I do).

rockstarbill
sage

#6618361 - 07/05/14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Great images!

Many thanks!

I am fairly certain that there wouldn't be any difference as the Hyperstar is configured for either scope. The only reason I bought the HD is for resale value but that might not make any difference if one is using the scope for imaging only (as I do).

I use my C8 for both imaging and viewing, although I tend to do more imaging than viewing. I do use both the Hyperstar setup for wide shots, and my DSLR for Planetary Imaging, and for smaller objects that would otherwise get lost. I have a buyer lined up for my current tube, so its only a few hundred dollars to make the upgrade so I might as well do it.

-Bill

CWHughes

#6618431 - 07/05/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great images!

Many thanks!

I use my C8 for both imaging and viewing, although I tend to do more imaging than viewing. I do use both the Hyperstar setup for wide shots, and my DSLR for Planetary Imaging, and for smaller objects that would otherwise get lost. I have a buyer lined up for my current tube, so its only a few hundred dollars to make the upgrade so I might as well do it.

-Bill

Sounds like a plan… good luck with your new scope. Just remember that you will need to buy a different Hyperstar corrector for the HD.

:-)

rockstarbill
sage

#6618502 - 07/05/14 06:23 PM

Yeah, and a new T Adapter for imaging from the rear of the scope, and a new focal reducer as well. The focal reducer gets mixed reviews, although Uncle Rod gave a pretty glowing review of it on his blog.

akulapanam

Reged: 08/27/12

#6619797 - 07/06/14 02:30 PM

Here are my last couple nights of work:

M17
http://www.astrobin.com/106123/C/

M16
http://www.astrobin.com/105821/D/

M16 with maybe hopefully better flats
http://www.astrobin.com/106138/B/

akulapanam

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: akulapanam]
      #6619835 - 07/06/14 02:49 PM

M17

akulapanam

#6619837 - 07/06/14 02:50 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

M17 with Image

akulapanam

#6619839 - 07/06/14 02:51 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

M16 with image. Note color cast issues:-( Sorry for double post above

CWHughes

#6620786 - 07/07/14 01:00 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

M106 Reprocessed

Imaged 26 May. 15-300 second subs.

Edited by CWHughes (07/07/14 01:01 AM)

CWHughes

#6621667 - 07/07/14 02:30 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

NGC 2403

I reprocessed the data from this image this morning and wasn't able to improve it much as the subs were only 15 X 90sec. I will get around to some longer exposures later this year as with many of my Hyperstar objects that I imaged from Starizona's parking lot where the light pollution is pretty bad.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

#6622128 - 07/07/14 07:11 PM

Rockstar Bill,

Most of what the EdgeHD corrects is done in the baffle tube and occur AFTER reflecting off the secondary. So the answer is clear:

You use the same Hyperstar for both 8" and 8" Edge and the Hyperstar photo imaging would be nearly identical. (In Hyperstar configuration, you are bypassing the Edge correction optics!)

In visual configuration, the EdgeHD will be nicer than the 8" when looking off-axis... that's where the Edge excels.

If you are photographing at f/10 (no Hyperstar) then the EdgeHD will outperform because of flatness across the entire field.

If you are using a focal reducer with either 8" or EdgeHD, again image quality will be close as the focal reducer does a lot of what the Edge correction does.

NOTE: As I understand it, the Hyperstar is the same for the regular 8" and the EdgeHD 8. There is a different spacing which requires a different adapter between the camera and Hyperstar. But that's only $25 or $50... not a whole new $900 Hyperstar. At least that's how I understand it.

Jim

Edited by HeyJP (07/07/14 07:15 PM)

CWHughes

#6622645 - 07/08/14 01:15 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

M63 Sunflower Galaxy (18-300 second subs)

CWHughes

#6622663 - 07/08/14 01:43 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

A pic of my imaging system before the monsoons hit!

CWHughes

#6623630 - 07/08/14 03:00 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

M109 in Ursa Major.

Imaged 10 March 2014 from Starizona's parking lot. 19 X 300 second subs.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#6625978 - 07/09/14 09:57 PM

Great images CW! How is the light pollution in you neck of the woods? I'm wondering if I could use a OSC camera with Hyperstar in the city. It would make life simpler.

CWHughes

#6626620 - 07/10/14 10:50 AM

Quote:

Great images CW! How is the light pollution in you neck of the woods? I'm wondering if I could use a OSC camera with Hyperstar in the city. It would make life simpler.

Thanks for the kind words, James. I think Hyperstar's main advantage is exactly what you are pondering. Short exposures with a light pollution filter and flats should work very well!

CWHughes

#6628727 - 07/11/14 06:43 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

M83 Southern Pinwheel (20 x 4 minute subs)

CWHughes

#6631711 - 07/13/14 04:30 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

NGC 6946 (Fireworks Galaxy) and Open Cluster NGC 6939 in Cepheus/Coma Berenices (16 X 300 sec).

CWHughes

#6632378 - 07/13/14 10:53 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

M1 (cropped) from Starizona's parking lot. 30 minutes of data. Just reprocessed my data tonight.

CWHughes

#6633201 - 07/14/14 01:11 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

One of my first attempts at imaging was NCG 2359, better known as "Thor's Helmet" in Canis Major. I took this image from Starizona's parking lot and had 30 minutes of data (20 X 90sec). This one will be on my re-do list from my home where the skies are much darker, but it didn't turn out too badly for what I had to work with. I didn't even have my guiding equipment yet!

:-)

Edited by CWHughes (07/14/14 01:13 PM)

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6633326 - 07/14/14 02:43 PM

Nice captures! I'm just beginning with this AP stuff so I'm curious about items that seem odd such as the areas surrounding NGC6946 and NGC2359. Am I seeing a masking artifact? The blackness seems forced compared to the surrounding area. Thank you for sharing your work.
Be Well
Grey

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6633477 - 07/14/14 04:17 PM

Quote:

Nice captures! I'm just beginning with this AP stuff so I'm curious about items that seem odd such as the areas surrounding NGC6946 and NGC2359. Am I seeing a masking artifact? The blackness seems forced compared to the surrounding area. Thank you for sharing your work.
Be Well
Grey

Hi Grey…

Many thanks for the image kudos.

I'm fairly new to this myself so I've been relying on PSCS6, Carboni's Action Set and Gradient Xterminator for my processing. It may be that I overdid the gradient, but I may have messed up somewhere else too! But, the monsoons have arrived here in southern Arizona so I am spending my time playing with processing rather than imaging.

Curt

CWHughes

#6635020 - 07/15/14 03:41 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

NGC 2903 in Leo. 114 minutes of data.

CWHughes

#6637923 - 07/16/14 10:56 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

M33 in Triangulum. (Reprocessed)

I had imaged two separate nights in January and neither of the images were all that good when I combined them because of the short (unguided) exposures. Tonight I combined all 40 images (30 seconds X 20 from light polluted skies and 20 X 30 seconds from darker skies).

The results show a noticeable improvement and I will be anxious to get two hours of longer exposures this fall!

Edited by CWHughes (07/17/14 10:33 PM)

coinboy1
sage

Reged: 05/03/11

Loc: Tulsa, OK
      #6637939 - 07/16/14 11:04 PM

Great images! A bit over processed but great data!

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: coinboy1]
      #6639010 - 07/17/14 02:24 PM

I reprocessed the image a bit and think it looks better. That's the hard thing about being new at this and trying to determine the level of processing… it's definitely not easy!

;-)

STARMAN1966
journeyman

Reged: 07/13/14

Loc: Tulare California
      #6639023 - 07/17/14 02:35 PM

Wow ! Very impressive...

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: STARMAN1966]
      #6639371 - 07/17/14 07:26 PM

Just ordered my hyperstar for my C11 . I just hope to get as good results as you CW . Right now I will be using a unmodded DSLR or a SBIG STF-8300M to see how it works.

CWHughes

#6639494 - 07/17/14 08:39 PM

Quote:

Just ordered my hyperstar for my C11 . I just hope to get as good results as you CW . Right now I will be using a unmodded DSLR or a SBIG STF-8300M to see how it works.

Congrats James and thanks for the kind words. I'm sure you will enjoy your system and I'll be looking forward to your images!

Curt

CWHughes

Re: Another Hyperstar Imager! new [Re: STARMAN1966]
      #6639497 - 07/17/14 08:42 PM

Quote:

Wow ! Very impressive...

Tom... thank you for the compliment! Much appreciated.

Curt

CWHughes

#6643437 - 07/20/14 02:31 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Lagoon Nebula in Hydrogen Alpha (600 sec X 6)

I'll take the color data tomorrow night, weather permitting and blend in the Ha later next week. I thought this turned out pretty well, especially for a OSC camera!

CWHughes

#6645610 - 07/21/14 02:12 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

NGC 6888 (Crescent Nebula) in Ha (80 minutes)

Tel
Postmaster

#6645668 - 07/21/14 02:43 PM

Hi Curt,

You've some very lovely images there !

I can also see that you're experimenting with Ha but have you yet tried combining Ha with Olll frames and even S2 to produce artificial colour via the "Hubble Palette" technique ?

I haven't done too much of this myself, but the P/Shop processing can be fun in adding a new, artistic dimension to imaging and the end results, very pleasing !

Best regards,
Tel

CWHughes

#6645709 - 07/21/14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hi Curt,

You've some very lovely images there !

I can also see that you're experimenting with Ha but have you yet tried combining Ha with Olll frames and even S2 to produce artificial colour via the "Hubble Palette" technique ?

I haven't done too much of this myself, but the P/Shop processing can be fun in adding a new, artistic dimension to imaging and the end results, very pleasing !

Best regards,
Tel

Thanks for the kind words, Tel. I don't own an OIII or SII filter and probably won't for Hyperstar as I plan to buy another camera and image at the back of the scope at f7 and that will set me back a pretty penny!

Curt

CWHughes

#6647565 - 07/22/14 05:13 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

NGC 6334 "Cat's Paw" in Scorpius from last night (18 X 300 seconds).

CWHughes

#6647566 - 07/22/14 05:15 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

M8 color data (15 X 300 seconds) from last night.

CWHughes

#6647980 - 07/22/14 10:14 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

Last one from last night. Open Cluster NGC 7380 and Sh2-142 in Cepheus. Plenty of O and B stars! Also, an eclipsing binary star DH Cephei as a bonus! All inside an emission nebula that includes Sh2-142.

CWHughes

#6648908 - 07/23/14 02:05 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

Van den Berg 132 in Cygnus, part of NGC 6914. 15 X 240 seconds.

CWHughes

#6654486 - 07/26/14 11:45 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

M8 (Ha + RGB).

I found out that I overexposed my Ha subs… not too many objects are going to do that with 10 minute exposures, but the Lagoon is one of them!

Anyway, it still turned out pretty good, I think.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12248

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics